Home Technical Talk

Weird polygon display error in 3DS MAX.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
Hey there I have a weird problem with a model I have been working on. It's weird I got done mucking around with it and out of no where MAX decided to poop on my chest...

This is what I got when I rotated the model.
jv3wxw.png

This seems like it is fixed when I add a shell modifier, I think what I will have to do is add a shell, convert it into a Editable Poly and then delete all the inside faces... Unless there is a way to fix it?
2igkvmf.png

Damn MAX... I tell yah...

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    looks like garbage smoothing groups, try adding a sooth modifier on top with auto smooth checked in the modifier. That should assign smoothing groups automatically based on angles. Once you are done with the modeling you can tweak them yourself in the editPoly modifier if needed.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo hoo I fixed it!

It wasn't the smoothing groups, that was my first guess :). I had been using them to get the sharp edges and stuff.

What I did first was to detach the objects, that didn't help so I made a random box and attached the object to it ( I converted it to be editable first ).

That fixed the problem!

Thanks for your help though renderhjs.

Only down side is that none of my rigging works now... time to start again I guess... :(
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    That or borked vertex-normals, in which case you want to throw a edit-normals modifier and reset them.
    Edit : woop, second too late.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    hmm interesting so you create a new node (base object in max) and attached the faces to that. I remember having issues once with max baking where it would't store baking settings for objects, that very same trick worked for me back then.
    So I would assume that 3dsMax stores sometimes data or informations that is not accessible through the modifiers :(

I guess its good to know for the future
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the concern you two, I was looking at your websites, super quality work:poly136:
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the bump but it seems that my smoothing groups are not working now...

Well the ones that were put in groups before are good, but if I try to remove or add more it doesn't work at all...

Here are a couple of images to describe what I'm trying to say:

This is just with the groups, looks like it works.
    30tt6xh.png

Here is a image with all the groups turned off... still looks the same.
    2mwij2t.png

I tried to add a turbo smooth modifier and it seems like the polygroups create a hard edge. When I used to do it before with groups it made everything smooth and didn't smooth the groups individually... weird stuff going on with Max...

Edit: Also on a side note the polygroups that I made on my rim/wheel model work fine, only on the car they don't...
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really sorry for the bump but is there anyway to fix this?

I did some searches on the forum and I think it's because I imported the model as a FBX file... which is total crap and it messed up my groups or something in that nature.

Is there anyway to fix this? I tried it all..

I'm [ ] <- that close to breaking my mouse and keyboard and throw my monitor out the window in the cold.

EDIT: I read a little walkthough on how to fix it, YAY. Now Max... you can fuck me hard, and fuck me sideways.

Thanks to Trevor, a dude from Autodesk.

Your findings are correct, but this is normal behaviour for our plug-ins, on the 3ds Max side. Originally, models created in 3ds Max, by default, have normals that are defined by Smoothing Groups. Since there are no other programs that we provide interop for that support Smoothing Groups, the data is converted to Normal information while exporting to FBX. In our new plug-ins, the Smoothing Group IDs are retained when going from 3ds Max to FBX (and back, if necessary), but converted to Hard/Soft edge data when importing to a program like Maya. When the exported FBX files are imported back to 3ds Max either from Maya or from a simple export/import FBX operation from and to 3ds Max, the smoothing data is converted to actual normals data. In other words, when the model returns to 3ds Max, the normals are no longer controlled by smoothing groups. This can be easily worked around in 3ds Max by adding a modifier to the stack. For instance, if you export an editable poly from 3ds Max and import it, you can add an Edit Poly modifier to the stack to return to the 3ds Max default behaviour, in that smoothing is defined by smoothing groups. If you wanted to add a Smooth modifier to the stack, make sure you add an Edit Poly or Edit Mesh modifier first, below the Smooth modifier, to ensure that smoothing groups are to be considered. To simplify things, collapse the stack and you won’t have to worry about having too many modifiers on the stack right after importing.

To be honest, I can now see why this was confusing (after explaining it) and I’m glad you brought this up in the forums. Let me know if you have any further questions or comments about this behaviour with the plug-ins and 3ds Max.

Regards,

Trevor Adams
    Autodesk FBX
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Try adding two normal modifiers, then collapsing them. Should do the trick. Always has for me! :)
  • Michaelum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michaelum null
    Try adding two normal modifiers, then collapsing them. Should do the trick. Always has for me! :)
    I Had a similar problem and this worked! thank you very much :pleased: