Home General Discussion

Modo 501

Modo 501 has arrived! :)

Has anyone had a chance to mess around with it? Any first impressions? I'm trying to resist just purchasing it because I'm a bit poor atm... though I'll probably give in sooner or later.

From what I know it has a some new features that may prove useful to us as game artists:

1. Smoothing Groups are now supported! It looks similar to how Max handles them.

2. An Occlusion Material which offers options for various types including concavity, convexity, up/down slope. It looks as though it can be easily baked to a mask texture for easy dirt, scratches, rust, etc...

3. "Pixar" Sub Division Surfaces, which appear to allow you to model much cleaner SubD meshes without having to add any support edges. This basically uses edge weighting but provides much better results than traditional edge weighting solutions. Granted this may only work well if you do all of your baking in Modo, exporting frozen meshes over to something like xNormal may be possible. Oh just read that it can transfer the crease data to Maya via FBX, cool!

4. Multi resolution sculpting, finally... This is real mesh based sculpting not image based displacement map sculpting.

5. A bunch of new procedural materials, which I'm hoping can be customized and baked to texture.

6. If I'm reading the "New Features.pdf" correctly then there's also projection based painting...

7. Vertex light baking.

8. Modo's SDK is now much more open, this will allow many interesting plugins to be developed for Modo.

9. Snapping is improved. (though it wasn't an issue for me, I know it was for some.)

10. Many new modeling tools such as adding edge loops while preserving curvature, and diagonal edge selection.

Unfortunately there is still no smooth skinning for animation so no "soft" character animation tools. However if you were making a robot character the new node based rigging tools look amazing.

Also there is still no non-linear modeling (modifier stack), or FFD deformers.

Replies

• VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I tried a trial of an older modo version.. But I couldn't get used to the interface. I read somewhere that it is fully customizable, and you can make it look and feel like 3ds max, but I couldn't figure it out.

This new version looks neat, maybe I will try it again if there is a demo still.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's out? Woop.

I'm very disappointed that there's no proper character animation yet, though :/

But I still love you, modo :)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @VPrime:

Yeah, I can relate to that. I went from Maya to Max then on to Modo.

Modo definitely feels different than Max. At first if felt very disjointed and cumbersome, I think it took me about a month before I was really comfortable with it.

Now I would describe Max as "clunky" and Modo as "fluid" in relation to UI and workflow. Not to knock Max or anything, it's great and all but still... I wouldn't want to make Modo feel and look like Max.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    VPrime wrote: »
    I tried a trial of an older modo version.. But I couldn't get used to the interface. I read somewhere that it is fully customizable, and you can make it look and feel like 3ds max, but I couldn't figure it out.

Same here, I loved their ads and clicked one of them to try to demo, could not figure out most of it, I tried some tutorials but it didn't seem like a fluid transition from max to modo.

I think if I spend more time with it I would have gotten better, but since I already have a copy of max 9 why change it, unless something super breakthrough happens. Even if it does, I'm sure it won't be anything I could use.

Still an awesome program for it's price. Well it's 3x cheaper than max 2011
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be some navigation links near the bottom of the page.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Omg! Time to brown nose the boss for an upgrade...
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    While smoothing groups and more open SDKs and sculpting and such are great, the real question is whether it's more stable than previous releases. I love Modo to death, but it's absurd how often the poor thing decides it's time to shit all over itself and jump off a bridge.

VPrime, XenoKratios, Modo uses completely different way of working and I can see it being hard to get used to, but it's actually a little less disjointed than Max once you get some nice hotkeys worked out. I have hotkeys for doing almost everything, no menu digging or button hunting required. Yeah, it's a bit annoying to set up the first time through, but after that things are a breeze.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also wondering about the stability of 501. Modo 302 was solid for me but when 401 first released it certainly was a crash fest. 401 improved over time after many service pack updates and is about as stable as any other 3D app that I've worked with in the past. Even after a crash Modo is back up and running in less than 10 seconds which isn't too bad, much faster than loading up Max.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very true. The time from clicking the icon to seeing the program up is remarkably short.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm so interested in getting 501 coming from 401, the new modeling features look great as well as the smoothing groups.

@Ben

Wondering do you use edge weighting ever? Have you ever done any normal baking with Modos ray distance method? It seems without proper smoothing control no one would be able to do so without using alot of bevels...curious what your approach is.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! cant wait to get my hands on it, currently using 401. Coming from Maya and MAX to Modo, when I found myself in a position where i had to learn it, after only a week i was modeling faster than ever before. Now doing modeling in Maya/MAX just feels to cumbersome. Thanks Ben for bringing it up :)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw man, every time Modo relase a new version, it makes me want to switch. I think I'm going to have to soon, I graduate early next year so my Autodesk student licenses will be up and I sure won't be in a position to drop £3k on a license. Modo is such incredible value, even more so now it's added these new features.

I've tried, and tried, and failed to get into the workflow though. I love what it does, and it's clear how beneficial some of the tools/modeling workflows are but it really takes some getting used to!

I think it's just a case of 'forcing myself' to stick with Modo for a bit, I guess even Max seemed alien at first.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ajr2764:

I haven't ever used edge weighting beyond just trying it out to see how it works. I've always used traditional SubD modeling techniques (supporting edge loops everywhere) to model high poly + non-sculpted stuff. Now with the new Pixar SubDs I think it might be possible to avoid all of that extra work.

I have done normal baking in Modo but as you noticed it lacks cage baking which can make all the difference in some cases.

With 401 (and 302) I controlled smoothing by a combination of setting the materials smoothing angle 180° where I want the model to be "smooth" and splitting the edges where I want "hard" edges. Check this post from this thread out for more info.

Lately (still Modo 401) I've been working with Unity and have been using this script made by Chai to export OBJs to xNormal and FBXs to Unity. The script supports proper vertex normal smoothing and breaking (smooth groups). It also lets me export to xNormal with one keystroke, which speeds up the baking process immensely. I bet the FBXs generated by the script would also work well with UDK but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe with 501 I won't have to...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @creationtwentytwo:

Yeah, when I first switched from Max to Modo it seemed so strange and alien. I think the only reason I eventually succeeded was that I forced myself to not use any another 3D apps when I got stuck. It was very frustrating for the first few days then it went to uncomfortable and eventually to super awesome. I remember vividly being almost physically sick that I couldn't figure out how to snap anything together during my first day with it.

LOL! I probably sound like a raving fanboi of Modo... and I guess I sort of am one poly136.gif

Though I'd never go so far to claim Modo is the ultimate perfect app, Modo still has quite a ways to go for that.

For anyone looking at buying Modo definitely give the trial a go before throwing down the money. If you do download the trial be prepared to possibly receive a time limited discount coupon that might "force" the issue.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Ben, you don't sound like a fanboy, you just sound like a Modo user... everyone I've spoken to who has switched to Modo has nothing but good things to say about how much better their life is now with Modo... which is obviously a huge supporting point for switcher-to-be's.

I notice they haven't got a 501 trial up yet... hopefully soon.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta love modo, I don't know why but modeling hard surfaces just feel so much easier in it. Oh and pie menus :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Talon wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed that there's no proper character animation yet, though :/

Yeah the lack of character animation tools is what's stopping me from switching over to Modo from Max completely. I don't like switching between 2 packages so will be holding off until they advance the animation more.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    modo modo modo, let's see if all the improvements are good for me.

I have been using modo since first version, and i'm stuck with modo 302 right now. The perfomance in viewports in modo 301 was the double than in modo 302. And modo 401 with its last sp is not as good as 302, slower, bloated, but something tolerable.

I must say that all those improvements are not a big deal for me. The program still lacks of too many things, damn!. The improvement of the "fog" must be a bad joke.

I'm more excited with the new lightwave than with this.

What i wish is a good rig system like the one in the new lightwave 10 or much better. I'm sure they still have issues with the bevels.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I know this is a modo thread, but was wondering- what's with lightwave these days? is it still a viable contender?
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloading 501 now. The added features and changes are great, but modo is still missing few integral things - like proper CA.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    Yeah the lack of character animation tools is what's stopping me from switching over to Modo from Max completely. I don't like switching between 2 packages so will be holding off until they advance the animation more.
    Nah, I still do as much of my modeling in modo as I can, it's just so nice compared to Max. Chucking stuff over to Max for rigging/animation isn't a big deal via OBJ.

Really interested in this new Multires Sculpting. It looks like it might manage to take external sculpting apps out of my workflow entirely.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i heard people like mudo because it has a smooth and flowy modeling, with hotkeys and customosation. this sounds very fammiliar to blenders's system as it is too hotkeying and customolations. does anyone know the major diffrences? thx alot
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lampekap wrote: »
    so i heard people like mudo because it has a smooth and flowy modeling, with hotkeys and customosation. this sounds very fammiliar to blenders's system as it is too hotkeying and customolations. does anyone know the major diffrences? thx alot

Download the trial and see for yourself :) Both do their job and Blender is free, so there is that. For me, modo just feels right. It's hard to replicate that feeling in other programs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    I really want learn Modo now Pixar Sub D:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn0NGb1crbY

i never tried Modo before the new animation stuff looks crazy,too.
    I have the biggest hard-on right now...
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is modo made by the guys who made Lightwave? I forgot about lightwave! It was only like $400 bucks.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lampekap wrote: »

I've tried to get into Blender a few times during the development of 2.5 (from alpha0 - beta 2.52). I've spent more than 8 hours attempting to deal with Blender's hotkey editor. I got very close to getting Blender to behave nearly as smooth as Modo or at least how I've customized Modo, which is very different from the default. Then for no reason at all Blender would refuse to work with my presets, it would crash as soon as I attempted to load them. One day it worked the next it didn't. Needless to say I've given up on Blender for now. I will give it another try once it's out of beta, and especially once Bmesh is finished and integrated.

More about customizing in Blender VS. Modo:

In Blender nothing is unified, each tool has different keys for 3D Viewport/2D Viewport/modeling/UV mapping/animation/everything... So say I want move(translate) to be mapped to "W". I then have to go to each sub-section that uses move(translate) and change it to "W". I then have to manually check to see if this is conflicting with any other functions in that subset. It's just too much work to try again until Blender is stable and the UI API is set in stone.

Another thing about Blender's hotkeys there's no easy way to start with a blank keymap set and then go in and assign the keys that I want to use. Once you remove a keymap it's gone from list rather than being simply unassigned.

With Modo all the tools are the same no matter what context they are used in move(translate) is the same tool you use in the 3D viewport, UV edit window, graph editor, etc... One key to change (very simple) organized by keys by default.

With all of that said I have very high hopes for Blender, once 2.5 is out of beta I believe things will be better. It is the next app on my list of 3D apps to learn. It has many strengths where Modo has weaknesses. I personally believe that they complement each other very well.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @XenoKratios:

From what I understand at some point there was a split in the developers of Lightwave. Some broke off and formed Luxology which then developed Modo while others stayed on with NewTek-Lightwave.

I've heard that the two apps are somewhat similar with the way they approach things (like smoothing angle in materials rather than actual smoothing groups prior to Modo 501), but I've never tried Lightwave so I can't really say anything much about that.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I moved to Modo after using Lightwave 7 years ago. It was actually a really easy move to make because a lot of the hotkeys were the same and many of the tools behaved in the same way. Granted, there have been several new versions of both in the intervening years, but you're correct in that they approach a lot of things (like smoothing angle - ARGH!) in a similar way.

As for hotkey mapping, it's the absolute best I've seen to date in any program except Photoshop. The fact that it's completely customizable and all hotkeys work the same in all modes is a godsend and one of the main reasons I haven't switched to another program like Blender.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modo 501 trial versions will again become available at a future date
    ... Maybe another day then...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I saw the same thing Mark... I have an older release I need to dive in and give it a go.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well let me praise Modo for a little...yea so I used to be a Maya user(school teaches modeling using Maya though they have Max also)just because thats what I was taught in. I branched off and learned about Modo through a professor. The hardest thing is making the transition because your so used to and comfortable with one app. Now I'm a few months into really using Modo and working on a project I've become really comfortable with it slowly learning little tricks and the pipeline.

I know Maya and I understand somewhat of the workflow with Max and I really cant see myself ever modeling in Maya again. Its like owning a sports car and downgrading to a bike(LOL maybe not that extreme...).

@Ben

Thanks for the link to the script, I downloaded and it looks interesting so when the time comes I'll try to set that up. I see splitting the edges detaches the face from the mesh and successfully breaks the smoothing. Why is it that you split, cant you also assign that polygon(s) to a new material with another smoothing angle and keep the mesh welded at those hard edges?

Will be a while before I can get my hands on 501...I want it now.

Thanks.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you can assign a new material with different smoothing values. Unfortunately then you have another material... That would be bad for performance your game engine of choice. Each material on an object forces the object to be drawn once, so two materials two draw calls. Multiply that by however many objects you have in a scene and things can get ugly really fast.
  • Av7xrocker97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I would be more interested in modo if it wasn't so alien for me. I'm a blender user right now and I know modo is in many ways more powerful than blender, but using modo after learning blender, it was hard to get used to different navigation keys and more button-based use than hotkey-based. Anybody know if I could set up a custom config to make it simulate blender hotkeys and navigation methods? If so, how long would it take?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo can actually be even more hotkey-based than Blender. The big difference is that the hotkeys are non-contextual. There isn't a different set of hotkeys for when you're in the UV mapping view or the rendering view or whatever. All hotkeys are the same across the board. You just have to pick hotkeys for your most-used commands and you're set. There should be a guide somewhere on the Luxology website, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Av7xrocker97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay cool. Blender's is kinda the same, all across the board, same hotkeys. I am only bugged that in a lot of 3d apps, the hotkey has no relation whatsoever to the name of the command (most of the time). In blender, it does, so that throws me off. I'll look into a custom key setup to my liking.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Pixar subds are one of the main reasons I updated. I like using edge weights/creasing/whatev and keeping my geometry simpler wherever possible, and use them a lot in silo too - though you can't transfer that info to another app and they are either on or off with no weight adjustments. Just tried an fbx transfer from modo to maya and the edge weights and subdivision were retained when I brought the mesh into maya - though the UVs were fucked. Have to look into that.

Other stuff... 64 bit on mac now, lots of extra materials, including procedurals, and the new AO stuff looked pretty cool too. Curious about the rendering performance enhancements, as I plan on doing some rendered stuff in it in the new year. One of the cheapest of my 3d apps to upgrade as well, and no punishment for skipping a version.

I still prefer the overall feel of silo over modo for modeling, but Lux adds more and more reasons to use modo with every major release, which is why I keep upgrading.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well since I downloaded the Max 2011 demo and loved the new features... it's only fair that I download the 501 and see if it's actually as fun as you guys claim.

Hopefully the learning curve isn't too intense..

Edit: Scratch that.. they took down the demo :(
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Well there is no demo version out yet, unfortantly.

I used modo before i switched to 3ds max, modo does have a lot of great ways to speed up the workflow, it's worth testing :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I vaguely remember when Luxology charged for their demo, because 'it has a lot of tutorial materials'.
    Such harebrained ideas, just let us demo the goddamned thing already. Nobody is going to splurge on any €500+ software without at least trying it.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They didnt charge for the demo by itself.

But you could buy a edition of the demo, where it was included some hours of training materials.

But if you wanted you could just download the demo without any of the videos for free.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eventually, but I remember that being the only option for a while.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, ok, good that they got ridd of that then... not the best demo option :P
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    I've been messing around with 501 over the week. Just trying to go in and draft characters, but it's not as smooth as I thought it would be. I guess I'm not the sort of person who can just create spontaneous workable meshes on the fly, in any app, then again not sure I know too many people who can.

It seems great for hard surface stuff, but I am not having the most comfortable time making organic characters. The sculpt tools don't even appear to work for some reason. I select my mesh, select the tools, the brush, but nothing. Probably something really obvious I'm missing.

I rely heavily on tutorials for my training, and I think I've been spoiled by all the max/maya stuff out there. Not as much documentation yet on this in terms of character modeling. That's proving quite a bit of an obstacle.

Don't go into it trying to do the same things you would in max/maya. To compare it directly, I feel like its modeling tools are actually pretty lacking compared to max, even though modo has been touted as a solid modeler. Things like symmetry being unreliable, and many other little tools here and there not working like you'd think. Again, I might just be too used to the max way of doing things, so I hope to be proven wrong on this.

However I love the speed, the flow, the whole feel of it. Navigating is quick and comfortable. And the modeling you can pull of successfully feels great. I hope that if I stick with modo enough my skills will eventually mature to the point where it's smooth sailing.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the workflow is so disparate from Max's that it's hard to accurately compare the two.

From what I've witnessed, Max users have the hardest time transitioning to modo simply because it's so different - especially with the lack of a modifier stack.

As I learned 3D in LightWave I've been so used to a "permanent" forward workflow (no stack you can just edit/remove modifiers from - all editing is final beyond the end of undo queue) that it wasn't a big problem for me. But that's also one of the reasons I haven't used Max to it's full potential as I don't like/trust having these stacks of modifiers on a model.

Once you get into the action centre/axis stuff and the modularity of it's toolset (it still frustrates me in Max that I can't use all of it's tools to edit UVs, for instance - or model and UV simultaneously) you start to realise the full potential of it's tools. Especially once you get some of Seneca Menard's fantastic tool scripts installed.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Ah, I can't wait to give the new version a try. I haven't used Modo as much lately, since I've been indoctrinated into the Max way of working. I'm really excited about the new smoothing groups. One of the only other big complaints I have are Modo's spline tools. This is the one place I really prefer Max over Modo. Does anyone know if they have made any adjustments to them? Or is it still once you drop a curve you can no longer modify the polys by the initial curve?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Seneca's perfect circle script practically made me fall in love with modo
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Entity wrote: »
    Seneca's perfect circle script practically made me fall in love with modo

seconded.