Home Technical Talk

Bypass stack in 3ds max

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
Hey I have a quick work flow question. Is there away I can just bypass manually clicking through the stack every time I select a mesh in max that has modifers? Like I might had several meshes that make up my high poly model and I dislike when I want to edit another mesh and I have to first click it then manually click on edit poly. Not the biggest deal but I feel like it could save some time if I could just click the mesh then hit a shortcut that takes me to the bottom of the modifier stack. Thanks! this_is_not_art_by_bit_winchester-d34jpsq.jpg

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Heres a script that does just that;

macroScript bottomstack
    category:"whatever you want"
    toolTip:"Bottom Stack"
    buttontext:"Bottom Stack"

(
    if modpanel.getCurrentObject () != undefined then
    (
    modpanel.setCurrentObject selection[1].baseobject
    )
    )

Another alternative is is to use IC.Shape, there is a tool in there called "auto base object", when toggled on, it will automatically select the bottom of the stack of anything you select without pressing a hotkey.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been looking for this script. I'm getting an error when putting it into the Maxscript Listener:

-- Syntax error: at ), expected <factor>
    -- In line: )
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea but if you make it into a script and bind it to a key then it works fine.
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks alot!
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok got it. Thanks
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so Ive ran into a problem. I cant seem to figure out how to bind the actually script to a hotkey, do you use the customize user interface window bc that was the only place i could think to look. Any light on the situation would help thanks!
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Paste into MAXScript + Save As

- MAXScript - Run Script.

- Customise - Customise User Interface - Keyboard - Category (whatever category you saved the script under, ie "whatever you want") - Select the 'Bottom Stack' Action (LHS) - Assign Hotkey (RHS) - Save

Done :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put every single script I use into 1 single category to make it easier to sort hotkeys. I'd advise you to do the same~
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I was looking for a script like this a while ago! Thanks Yozora!
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I got it working, Thank you Yozora!. I have one final request though hehe. Could it be possible to make it so that also didnt have to click over to the modify tab either lol. Just select a mesh, it pops you over to the modify tab and to the bottom of the stack....Then my dream would be complete lol.
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty I figured it out myself

macroScript Bottomstack
    category:"whatever you want"
    toolTip:"Bottom Stack"
    buttontext:"Bottom Stack"
    (
    macros.run "Modifier Stack" "SubObject_1"
    (
    if modpanel.getCurrentObject () != undefined then
    (
    modpanel.setCurrentObject selection[1].baseobject
    )
    )
    )

just added the macros.run "Modifier Stack" "SubObject_1" to Yozora code. which make it so when you run the hotkey you dont have to click on the modity tab anymore. Just select your mesh, hit your hotkey and your ready to edit some polys! Thank everyone for the help!
  • lurked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lurked polycounter lvl 10
    This is an incredibly useful script, however on instanced objects it will always switch to the latest instanced mesh when going to bottom of the stack, regardless of which instanced object you have selected.  For example if I instanced 4 cubes, each with 3 modifiers on top, I can select the 1st one, run this script, and it's going to switch to the 4th (latest) cube.  Would there by a way to modify this script so it stays on the original object I selected?
    Thanks!
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I could help. I have been a primary Maya user now since I created this ( my company uses Maya). I also am at best a imposer engineer that can hack things to together. My guess is that the newer versions of Max have broken the functionality of this script. I remember I build it this script by just having the script listener open and copying out the actions that I did and then just saving it to a script. It might be able to reverse engineer this method with the newer version of Max to get the desired effect. Cheers! 
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Paul Neale has a tool that remembers the last modify panel item you had selected per object.

http://www.paulneale.com/scripts/StackTools/

https://youtu.be/J-2d88-zH-4