Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Showcase - virtual texturing plugin for Unity 3.x Pro

MALicivs
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago me and Pedro started working on a showcase scene for the Unity Virtual Texture plugin Diogo Teixeira is working on, due to release Q1 2011. Learn more about the plugin at the Unity forums here

The scene consists of an urban environment in between buildings. It will feature a couple of connecting alleyways, a street basketball court, a skate park with a big pool, fences for protection and tall walls and buildings covering the horizon.

Right now the virtual textures are limited to diffuse ( with alpha test), normal, and specular maps, and there's no limit on individual texture size, but we can use all this in conjunction with the standard unity materials if we want to use other stuff, like cubemaps or textures with alpha blend.
We're allowed to use tilling textures but we will be favoring more unique details.

ogsN9.jpg

The objective is to show people what VT can do to help bring out detail in a more realistic scenario.
It will be used as promotional material.

We are currently still on a early stage of this showcase, blocking out the scene, doing detailed mockups to flesh out the final look, and doing high poly models of props and buildings to bake later.

CGgg9.jpg

here are some of the props pedro has been doing:

tujam.jpg
AWUyE.jpg
nt8cJ.jpg
kiuyj.jpg

We will be updating this as we go.
To any of you currently working with VT systems, tips are welcome.

hope you guys like it, cheers!

Replies

• Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    love the scene. and those props are really detailed!

very nicely done!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks :) here are some more!

Back of hoop.
    boNE6.jpg

Another AC
    a8FKQ.jpg
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great HP work as always, Pedro!
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started texturing one of those buildings to see how it all will work out in the end, and the results are being quite satisfactory. I'm using six 4096x4096 textures for these two walls in order to get as much unique/high res detail as I can.
    The graffiti at the bottom is just a place holder I used to see how it would look across multiple textures, and it will be replaced tomorrow by something nicer. The objective now is to fill the lower parts of the walls with as much different graffitis and posters as I can, so it will help show off the technology.

right now it only has normal and diffuse maps, no specular maps.
    I will also be able to add reflections to those windows using unity's reflection materials.

hope you guys like it, cheers!

gIppg.jpg

more images:
    http://i.imgur.com/MdbdC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/qRznN.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/M252H.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Tzua4.jpg
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some proper looking graffitis across the bottom part of the building like planned, plus some dirt here and there for the transitions with other meshes. here's what it looks like now.

cheers.

9zML3.jpg
    4C7RY.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Nice work guys :)
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    really diggin the hi poly models. the graffiti is looking really cool too, but just be careful about placement. some of the marks n words seem a bit too low to the floor, which seems a bit unrealistic to me, as if someone would have to lay down to do it (in the last picture with the wall n stairs.. right next to the bottom step for example).
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    the red of the wall is a bit too intense for me - but the modelling looks great.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote:
    you are absolutely right, I'll get on it asap, and thanks for the feedback!
    SimonT wrote:
    It looks a bit different on my desktop computer, but yeah it looks too intense on my laptop too; different screen setting ftw. I guess I should change it to something a bit less flashy indeed. Thanks man!
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! the showcase is coming along pretty slowly because we've been busy with a lot of other stuff, but in the meantime Diogo has opened up the public beta for the Virtual Texturing plugin, so here's the link, with updated info, in case anyone is interested: http://diogo.codingcorner.net/amplify/
    Go ahead guys, try it out, and don't forget to send him feedback.
    cheers!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    MALicivs, great work so far.

However, with your wall (9zML3.jpg), your normal map for the bricks really doesn't seem to be doing it's job very well. It's not pronounced enough, and is way too noisy! It's not TOO far of from what it's supposed to represent but you could do better with some deeper recesses between the bricks. It will help more than you think!

Otherwise, great stuff so far man.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man, thanks for the input!

About the noise, I think it has a lot to both with the shader I was using that doesn't have mipmaps, and also with the fact that imgur.com compresses all the images a lot, so they look pretty crappy. here it has a different shader and it's uploaded to imageshack, which doesn't compress the image.

testza.png

as for the bump, you are probably right, it could be a bit more pronounced inbetween the bricks, so, I'll get to it :)

Again, thanks for the input, it's really appreciated!
  • the3d3mocrat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mal posso esperar para ver isso pronto.
    voc
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oi! obrigado! pe
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a few more things me and Pedro have been working on:

building01.png
    building05.png
    fusebox1hipoly.jpg
    fusebox3hipoly.png
    fusebox4hipoly.png
    pooll.png
    utilitypole2hipoly2.png
    asp3P.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so basically the industry has been handling the same amount of polygons in a scene for a few years now, but with new technology like this, and the stuff in the new id tech, textures will have basically no limit in detail. Interesting.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Awe yeah! Looks epic! The level of detail is intense!

Sorry if it's already been answered, what approach are going with on the textures? Are all of them unique? Or do you use some kinda fancy blending?

I think the graffiti could benefit from being a bit more spread out at the top. It's so straight right now, or maybe this is the neighborhood of people that's 173 cm? :D
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, thanks :)
    well, the textures are currently (mostly) unique, except for a few small things here and there whose repetition is not likely to stand out. But all the major surfaces are unique, so we can showcase the full potential of the technology.

About the graffiti, they are as high as 2.5 meters now, but I guess we could add some more on top of them, specially on the lower ones. it would certainly help show of the uniqueness of the textures :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's the area above the graffiti feels so super empty cause the graffiti itself is super dense.. I guess it's the transition that happens to sharp.. Would be more natural with a big less denseness of the graffiti overall and some higher up to.. I'm talking about http://i.imgur.com/9zML3.jpg btw..

So i red some more post higher up, you are using megaTextures? What is needed to use them "right"? Is it possible to implement into UDK for example? Without the need of a programmer i guess :P
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Pedro's modeling makes me want to try modo man... this is exuberant stuff keep going!
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    oh, ok, makes sense. I'll take a look into that, thanks :)

about the megatexture.. well no :P
    Like I said in the first post, this is for a showcase for the plugin we are currently building to use inside the Pro version of Unity game engine, which will be available for sale pretty soon :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I like that you`re not just doing pretty graffiti and that you have some nice urban decay. Graffiti isnt always about "pretty" and sometimes is about flashy damage :P

if you do try and get any graffiti higher up- you figure people need tools to get up that high. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KyhLnr0Tk&feature=related[/ame]
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tip konstruct :)
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's an update on that first building, added a bit of grafiti so it doesn't end so abruptly, plus a dumpster pedro modeled.

C2tqq.jpg

CKGAR.png
  • Vanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything looks amazing..I'm still trying to learn Sub-D modeling :(
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vanity, thanks :)

Here's something else I'm working on now. did a bit of sculpting and just started texturing the wall and the columns.

tunelm.png
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a bit of an update:

tunelh.png
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    are you gonna be placing tags over those pillars? maybe you could use some planes with some opacity passes to dirty them up, cause if i was tagging all would be eligible. lol great looking textures tho man.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are absolutely right man, thanks, here's what I've done with it:

sF694.png

a closer look at some of the tags:

Yko1l.jpg
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    this is fucking awesome.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah love it! But! Allways the but! You need to think about how someone would do these.

First of, you would not use a pen on concrete if it's not SUPER smooth, cause that would destroy the pen after two strokes.

Second, the guy that wrote these tags would not go over the beam like that. You would begin after it and "measure" so that you would not end up on the beam. Or you would do a vertical tag on the beam.

In my opinion you should tone it done a bit. It gets a bit much atm. Doesn't really feel real.

The cracked/broken areas should stand out more. They are very soft and bland atm.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    This is looking pretty cool. When do you plan on having it running in engine with light mapping? Are you just going to bake the lighting down into the diffuse or will it get a second channel?
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Rick_D - thanks mate!

@ sltrOlsson - thanks man, I hadn't realized some of those were pen. I'm kind of in a hurry, but I guess haste makes waste applies here. I'll get right on that, and sharpening the cracks a little bit too. Cheers!

@ AlecMoody - thanks man! We are planning on just using realtime lighting along with unity's ambient occlusion, and a few tricks to fake GI. using a second channel for lightmaps is an option if I find any way of batching the process, since lighting is not being severely planned ahead, and will surely get some changes along the way, it will be done mostly inside Unity. Using Unity's lightmaps and Beast would be a great alternative if it didn't ruin the normals, but unfortunately is not an option right now.
    baking the shadows into the diffuse would only be an option if everything was unique which is the case for most of the scenario, but not all of it. We still use some tileable textures, and will be reusing a few props.

Thanks for the questions and opinions guys, they are really appreciated!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool stuff, guys.

I saw the Unity VT stuff before but wasn't sure how properly useful it would be. Especially as you don't get to stamp stuff on a-la idTech5 :P

Do you guys just get to use diff/spec/normal/alpha? How do you cope with stuff that needs things like self-illumination or gloss values?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interested in this.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    The texturing looks great man.
    Im confused as to what your trying to present though..whats is VT? Is it something to due with the texturing? I didnt fully read the whole post or all the links due to me being tired.
  • fozi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote:
    Do you guys just get to use diff/spec/normal/alpha? How do you cope with stuff that needs things like self-illumination or gloss values?
    This VT system integrates seamlessly with Unity's own texturing system. You can still use regular texturing for non-virtualized channels, e.g. semi-opaque surfaces, self-illuminated, light maps, etc. At the moment, due to some streaming limitations in Unity, only Diffuse (rgb+gloss/alphaTest) and Normals are being virtualized. We plan to expand support to other channels once the streaming issues are mitigated.
    Talon wrote:
    I saw the Unity VT stuff before but wasn't sure how properly useful it would be.
    Im confused as to what your trying to present though..whats is VT? Is it something to due with the texturing?
    I usually show this video to people that are trying to understand how it works and what the advantages are:
    http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Membres/Sylvain.Lefebvre/texprod/video-hgh-res-2.mp4

This plugin opens up the possibility for continuous highly detailed scenes that would never be possible with Unity's default system on current hardware. Here are some of Amplify's advantages:
    • Continuously textured scenes with automatic streaming.
    • Only streams in visible and relevant bits of information. This means more detail visible at once using the same amount of gpu memory.
    • Up to 256 gigapixels of texture information per-scene.
    • Ideal for textures captured from a real environment or uniquely textured; you don't have to worry about texture reutilization or splitting the world into pieces because it doesn't fit the gpu's memory.
    • Virtually zero scene loading times, even if you switch between different virtual textured scenes.
    • High quality variable bit rate texture compression that will reduce the size of your build considerably, with ratios from 10:1 for HQ, up to 60:1 for LQ.
    • Texture tiling is still supported so you don't have to waste VT space.
    We also plan to add automatic batching for reduced draw calls in the near future.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This technique seams so cool to work with! Have you any plans on releasing a trial or a student version or something? Would be really cool to play with!
  • fozi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote:
    Have you any plans on releasing a trial or a student version or something?
    We will be releasing a free version with support for 32K x 32K virtual textures, for non-commercial purposes. Only one caveat: it requires Unity Pro.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Awesum progress you guys!

excellent modeling as per usual pedro :)
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you butt_sahib!

I just finished texturing some of pedro's props, here are the results:

machines.png
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more heavy imagery:

building06.png

stairsalley.png
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, it's been a while since the last update because we've been very busy finishing up this. All buildings are now modeled and textured and there are only a couple of props left to texture, so we are mostly done apart from final tweaks and last minute additions to the asset list.

here is a small sneak peek at what it is looking like inside unity running with the virtual texturing technique; the textures in this scene are somewhere above 9GB and it's running pretty smoothly.

We are almost done with this and the plugin is probably gonna be released during the next couple of weeks.

showcase.png
  • Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet polycounter lvl 11
    This is going well. Can we see some wireframe? :)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    very very cool guys
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    yooooo. this is lookin all hot. great work!