Home Technical Talk

3d Max custom quick-SMD exporting help

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was possible to quickly export a selected model to smd and avoid this pop up window;
ss_20101208030107.jpg

Also I'd like it to avoid the success confirmation window;
ss_20101208043023.jpg

What I want to do is have 1 script to instantly export with those default settings in that image, and have another script that will attach "_idle" to the end of the selected model and export that as a sequence SMD with a 0-1 frame range. (I want them to be seperate because not all smds I export will need a _idle smd to go with it, like LODs for example)

Ideally if more than 1 mesh was selected then a choice window would pop up, asking whether you want to export all selected models as individual .smds with their corresponding names or if you wanted to combine them all into 1 single smd, and then let you name that smd (exactly like it works right now).

I saw the wall worm model tools thread but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.... yet.

For those who care, currently my export workflow goes like this;

1) Name my objects,
Object01
Object01_lod1
Object01_lod2
Object01_phys
Object02
Object02_lod1
Object02_lod2
Object02_phys

2) Select all, export using an modified version of MoPs multi-obj export tool that exports smds instead of objs.

3) click ok, ok, ok, ok for every object I am exporting, and then ok, ok, ok, ok for all the "export complete" pop ups. This is a lot of clicking when I'm exporting 20 objects or more which is not that unlikely. I can click pretty quickly though and at least the ok button is always in the same spot, so this is more of an annoyance than a time sink.

4) Use 3d max's multi-rename tool for adding "_idle" at the end of the main objects (Object01 and Object02)

5) Export to smd using mops obj tool again

6) tick Export as reference, delete the 2 0's from "100" per object (this bit is extra annoying)

7) click ok, ok, etc per object reference model

8) undo twice to revert the names of those _idle meshes back to their default names

Estimated average number of clicks; 30 for this example, raises depending on number of models. Also involves deleting 0's, renaming and typing.

And this is how I want it to be;

1) Name objects

2) Select all, export using custom smd tool

3) pop up asks if I want to export all as individual meshes or all as 1 smd. Click individual

4) select object01 and object02

5) export using custom smd tool #2, which gives me my idle frame smd and renames it for me

Estimated average number of clicks; 5 regardless of number of models, no typing or deleting needed (other than the original naming which is required in every scenario)

Ultimately this will only save less than 1 minute per model... but it will make things so much streamlined and I can't be the only one that will benefit from this... by the way if you read my workflow and you see a big problem with it, please do tell and maybe share your workflow for smd exporting with everyone!