Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment: Feedstock CTF

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Neolight polycounter lvl 10
Hey polycount.

I'm a junior animation student at NYU, and I hope to become an environment artist in the game development industry one day - an aspiration shared by probably a few of the dudes here.

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this forum because I'm in need of some MAJOR environment/hardsurface guidance for a UDK project I've undergone. I've decided to run the gauntlet and build a small UDK level from concept to completion around a simple Capture the Flag game mechanic, and I have found myself swamped with questions:

"Am I making efficent game geometry?"

"How many maps should this asset have?"

"Should I use a tile texture solution or is this an asset that needs it's own map?"

etc.

I'd like to post the work I've done so far on it here, and then fire out some questions about whether or not I'm really doing this properly. I fear that I'm pretty much doing everything wrong as far as optimization is concerned - making bases that are WAY too high poly and not using tiled maps enough etc.

I'd like to do this right, and get started with some idea of what the environment art pipeline is. Because right now, I feel like I'm diving in blind.

The Project:
The aesthetics of the level adheres to a vibrant and stylized art direction (Ratchet and Clank, World of Warcraft, etc) and needs to have some narrative purpose. It's also stuffed with organic and hard surface modeling challenges. The goal is to make a totally badass looking CTF environment in UDK while following these guidelines and learn as much about making game art as possible.

2010-262-22-26-5-1-Levellayoutiteration1.jpg

The Level's Backstory:

Mission Name: Feedstock

Time: 13:00

Climate: 78 degrees, Humid, Thunderstorms expected

Backstory: The fertile swamp planet Veritas is home to hundreds of collosal life forms. The preservation of it's intricate ecosystem has been
enforced by intergalactic law and left undistrubed for billions of years... Untill recently.
Two rival mega-corporations, Iron Helix Co. and Xade Industries have found a "large plant-animal-thing" that yields a highly valuable acidic ichor.
Espionage and corproate war ensues on-site amidst sensitive equipment and a giant ticked off vegetable.

Iron Helix Co.: Specializes in the manufacturing of DNA computers and modifiable household pets. The company has been accused of developing slave species for dangerous third-galaxy contractors.
Xade Industries: A household name on many civilized worlds. Xade industries makes everything from appliances, to warp drives, to weapons.

Plant Organism: A spire of organic mass rooted miles deep into the planet's surface. Hundreds of such organisms exist on planet Veritas, and are
homes to many lesser lifeforms that work to preserve these celestial plants... if you could call them that.

The objective:
As an enlisted mercenary for either corporation, you must do whatever you can to thwart your opponents operations while defending your own. Steal generator cells from the opponents Refinery control center and install them into your factory's core. Be warned: the power boost could cause
temporary hazards on the work site.

The Concept Art (Thusfar)

ichorz.jpg

efaefewfe.png

oijoij.jpg

2010-269-14-10-40-1-hardsurface%20thumbs.jpg

2010-270-0-0-11-1-levellayoutRENDER3.jpg

2010-263-23-23-27-1-Levelcomp-basecamp.jpg

2010-265-0-57-41-1-Levelcomp-sidecamp.jpg

Rough UDK Block in:

2010-285-13-15-51-1-refdsgafg.jpg

The First Modeling Challenge:

The very first thing I want to do is just make these bases. I figured the most obvious place to start is the exterior. Here are shots of their progress, and some renders in UDK just to see how scale is working out.

Xade (Team 1) Spawn Building Exterior : Currently at 20,713 tris

xadewire.jpg

aewgew.jpg

ss3.png

ewfawe.jpg%22%20onclick=%22window.open%28this.href%29;return%20false;

Iron Helix (Team 2) Spawn Building Exterior : Currently at 21,000 tris

ewafweefw.jpg

RETWGRWEG.jpg

The Questions

Am I pushing too many polys for the exterior of these bases?
Because of their curved/organic design It's difficult for me to imagine how they might be modularized / simplified.

What's the best way to go about texturing these surfaces?

The xade spawn base is currently aiming to span 6 texture maps right now. I have a feeling this is stupid, and the goal of texturing these structures is to define surfaces by use of tiled texture maps.

At the same time, I don't really know if I'll end up with more maps that way than the current uv organization.

How can I find the right balance between tiled texture maps and custom uv'd geometry?
I just can't seem to make a decent call here. If I use the tiling method I think i'm going to run into a problem with seeing poly seams on some of the more curved surfaces that cover alot of space. I feel that because of the bases design i'm almost forced away from this method.

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I think you have a fantastic start. The amount of planning and pre-production work into this is staggering. Are you the lone artist working on this?

First, don't trash your high poly meshes for these bases. You can use them to add some extra detail and then bake out a normal map. That map should help smooth some of the harder edge transitions when you reduce your meshes. Which you need to do. You can definitely drop that down to something far more manageable. Is it high? Depends on what kind of platform you are aiming for. Next gen, maybe maybe not. For Unreal, you should be ok, but it's always good to try to be smart with your use of edge loops and polys.

If those are one off assets, I wouldn't worry about using a tiling texture. Save that for something you'll be using over and over again, and add vertex painting in Unreal to hide that. I really can't tell you how many maps to use, that's something you'll probably have to decide. Just try to group everything by similar materials and UV as efficiently as possible and see what you can do? That's amazing advice right there lol...

These six textures, what sizes are they looking at being right now?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight wrote: »
    I'd like to do this right, and get started with some idea of what the environment art pipeline is. Because right now, I feel like I'm diving in blind

Well that's the best damn art I've ever seen a blind man produce....

seriously though, I know you want some advice, but I just came here to say that this is all incredibly awesome. Art direction looks fantastic, your concept skills are amazing, and this all looks like a lot of fun.

Will be watching! KEEP GOING!
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice. Love the architecture and the concept images!
    Gameplay wise I think it will be easy to defend but really hard to get the flag anywhere.
    You have lots of narrow walkways and few escape routes that it might be hard to dodge enemies once you are on half way to your base. Adding bigger spaces to move on or more walkways/jump pads might fix it. Hard to say thought without testing it first.

Keep up the great work! Will be watching this one
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Great work all around, i don't often see such well thought/planned out pre pro.

A little feedback is to try split up your large assets, like so

ewafweefw_feedback.jpg

I'm not intimately familiar with UDK but from my experience its usually good practice to break up larger assets to help bring the poly count per asset down, to allow for more asset instancing and allow for re use of assets in other areas/configurations. Can also help with loding due to the fade often being measured from the pivot point, and dynamic lights per object.

Just to say again though really amazing start, looking forward to seeing this progress.
  • rustim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rustim polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really good so far, I especially like the plant/rock concepts. I would say you're well on track with this, the best advice I can give is keep on truckin! I wouldn't worry too much about being super efficient with your polycount or tiling, as that kind of learning comes with time. At the end of the day as long as you can run the game then it's all good!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    could be really nice :)
  • Spitfire
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last shot looks kinda familiar ;)

The polygons for the bases aren't that bad. Where you really need to establish a proper budgeting system is going to be in the rock, fauna, and foliage features.

I think if you invested a bit of time blocking out the rest of the scene and walling out some of the visible space for the rock features and terrain, it would really help at the end of the day. Light it, throw in some quick coloration, see where it goes from there.

For the larger rock assets, it could be useful to group them together and manually cull some geometry off of the backsides.

For your texture sheets, you can probably make 2 variants of tiling textures (dark grey metal, white synthetic sheets) and use custom uv'ed assets for the door frames and trim features.

Last thing... Use texture mirroring whenever possible on any of your environmental assets. Can't be stressed enough. Break down your individual doorframes on the iron helix building into mirrored frames and perhaps separate the mirrored sections with a pillar, and so on.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    wow this looks like its going to be amazing! The concept art is fantastic! It's beautiful!
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very impressed with the concept art, great start to those assests. I would watch the edge flow and consistency of them. Im assuming that those are the base hi-poly meshes. Everyone else has already made some good comments but I will be watching. Keep up the good work.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Crazy amount of pre-production! loving it !!!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Love those concepts, looking forward!
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the epic amount of responses! There's some stuff I wanna write back but I gotta get a little sleep.

Aside from that, I'm wasting no time here - taking arcanox's advice and throwing caution to the wind.
    It's time to haul ass though gray-blocking out the spawn base areas for both teams.

Here's a rough comp of the Iron Helix faction. I spent the day rumaging through UDK tutorials and badgering people for advice. This is what came of it,

IronHelixblockin1.jpg

Ironhelixblcokin2.jpg

ironhelixblockin3.jpg

awefwe.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    That is coming along nicely! Reminds me of a sci-fi version of Shattrath City in WoW! :)

Keep it up!
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes.

Arcanox used his divine powers to help mortal man and is giving me a hand with my scene: doing some material stuff and early post processing work and probably some rock assets.

The rest is pretty much up to me. For the weekend I'm hoping to get the terrain in order, finish textured both bases and have a prop or two. Wish me luck.

Here's some new shit.

Untitled-1.jpg

ironhelixblcokinpaintover.jpg

xadeblockinpaintover.jpg

helixtexturing1.jpg

process1.jpg
    process2.jpg

process3.jpg
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    wow this is alot of stuff great work so far keep it up
    cant wait to see the final piece
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    WAY too many pictures. cant u use links to photobucket.

the models are great by the way.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    WAY too many pictures. cant u use links to photobucket.

the models are great by the way.

Sorry for the overload dude, I'll do that from now on.

(btw, awesome blog)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome , and you say you aren't a pro already ??? ....
  • Fraeger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fraeger polycounter lvl 8
  • Colt Seavers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kickass stuff!!! I've downloaded the UDK a while ago, maybe I should have a look at some tutorials in time, seems like this could be a fun new hobby!!!

Colt:poly121:
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Don't link the pictures, keep posting them in-line please. If roosterMAP has issues he can change the number of posts per page display in his options, the rest of us are used to looking at WAYWO threads where every post has multiple images.

Anyhow, great stuff, and please keep updating the thread. A real pleasure to watch this thread.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Wow... just wow
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes. Sorry i've been AWOL.

I took some time out to work on a few new paintings + tidy up a game I was making in Unity with a few friends. Then got hit with a crazy stomach virus that de railed me for a few days.

hero_business_by_neolight-d3666f3.jpg

It's January now, hope everyone's had a nice new year - mine is starting with the stench of tardiness! The internship app at Insomniac Games is bound to pop up any day now, and my UDK scene still isn't done. tisk tisk...

Now that i've brought it down to the wire, it's time for ruthless, non-stop 3D action! ...and hopefully some half decent portfolio web design.

Quick scene paintover - searching for the final composition of this area.

aewfew.jpg

3D stuff to follow: I am now working on getting some foliage into the level... I have absolutely no idea how to do this and i've been playing around with making billboard textures and the particle emitter with not much luck. Does anyone on polycount have some UDK foliage wisdom?

whatever.jpg

3D and stuff

ewfawefew.jpg

whatever.jpg
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im lovin' it ...
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WiP alien grass

grassz.jpg
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not crit shy! So let me here it if you've got something to say.

Some flora buddies and props added.

shot.jpg\

downview.jpg

top.jpg
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Hm. It could just be me, but something feels very off about the flora thus far. I think it feels too alpha billboard cutout-ish, maybe try adding more geometry to the meshes and rounding it out a bit. Also I think the textures are too simplified, it looks like they're just gradients. In the third shot you can definitely see the white halo around the vines texture which is no good, not sure if that's still wip or not. You may have already seen this, but if not, here's a good tutorial on cleaner alpha blends. Love the rest of the scene so far though, the style is awesomesauce.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Coming along nicely Neolight.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine wrote: »
    Hm. It could just be me, but something feels very off about the flora thus far. I think it feels too alpha billboard cutout-ish, maybe try adding more geometry to the meshes and rounding it out a bit. Also I think the textures are too simplified, it looks like they're just gradients. In the third shot you can definitely see the white halo around the vines texture which is no good, not sure if that's still wip or not. You may have already seen this, but if not, here's a good tutorial on cleaner alpha blends. Love the rest of the scene so far though, the style is awesomesauce.

Thanks for the feedback. They actually are mostly just gradients right now. I was trying to get a sense of how certain colors and sillouettes might work in the scene. I'm gonna see what I can do about makin them tie into the world better.

Thanks for the tutorial link - it'll certaintly help!

I'm looking at finishing this area within the next two days so I can move on to texturing the other building and a giant flower prop. It'd be great if I could get those roughly together by saturday. Let's see if I can do it. Thanks for the support thusfar!
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Neolight
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    This is coming together very nicely!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ridiculously cool looking! Love the style.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I really like how this is coming along, but you have some really hard edges (and not, imo, in a good rocky way) on those stones. I would also add more subdivision to the stone arches. They look too faceted.
  • benmerrick3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benmerrick3d polycounter lvl 12
    Wow.. Really amazing work! First off I wish I could do concept art as good as you!

As for the 3D scene its coming along really nicely. Im not a fan of the texture on the horn/tusk things personally- they just stand out a bit too me. But saying that I dont know what I would do with them either

Your plants covering the top of the rock on the right (middle distance) could use some work too- they look very basic/flat, whereas the rest of the scene looks amazing! Keep it up
  • elyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those textures really made this pop, its really showing that rachet & clank look you wanted
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work !!!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The composition is pretty cool, and same with the feel and mood. I really dig those giant banana flower looking things. I do think though, that your rocks over all need a ton of work. It's pretty distracting how much of a contrast it is between the two type of mountain walls you got going and I feel like they are pretty flat. I would advise to maybe going back in and maybe model out crevices and add more shape into them and overall geometry. You're painting is pretty sweet! I can dig that with a ten foot shovel.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the C&C dudes, before I do anything else I'm going to go give the rocks a good tweaking.

I thought I would make a spread sheet of some of the meshes that are in the project thusfar so I could get some feedback on the technical side of things.

How's my poly budget? Topology etc. I dont know shit about this part of modeling, and as i've been noodling this scene along I've noticed that I didnt really need the ammount of density I put into some of these meshes. Or am I just over thinking this whole thing?

Wires.png
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Well......It really depends. From the angle and view in the spreadsheets, the buildings look insanely high, but then again these are supposed to be monstrous buildings at eye level. But, then again you can probably cut down at certain spots that don't effect the silhouette. I'm looking at the flower leaves as an example..
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much what I said earlier, you want to cut down on any geometry that doesn't define the silhouette or doesn't have any tiling functions.

For some of your long round shapes on your building, you could afford to remove every 2nd loop in some cases. When dealing with the model as well, you can try a shiny specular material to get a feel for what the general appearance of the surface is, or use a completely flat material to get an idea of what the outline of the model is.

A specific example of wasted geometry is on the flower as mentioned before. You have at least 2 loops that basically do nothing in the middle of the leaves. Or the ramp on your equipment bay, there are a bunch of edges that aren't used for tiling a texture segment, so they should be welded down into triangles wherever possible.

I wouldn't say it's a huge deal. Next time, I'd take a little bit of time and remove some geometry and weld some stuff down into triangles before you do all of your UV unwrapping. You could easily reduce the triangle count on most of your assets by 25% and not really suffer any loss of quality.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good! Great job! I like seeing all your concepts and how you reference them in your workspace. Very nice. Good concepts means GODLY end-products
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Looks really great, but it doesn't look like it holds up when you look at it up close, which is a big bummer to see.
  • dadajbjb
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Just out of curiosity, how do people manage to necro bump threads that are this old?
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Not sure. Best guess is they don't look at the time stamp of the last post. In this case over a year ago.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still so good, needs to be seen again :D