Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning Anatomy

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
So im really starting to get interested in anatomy so i can sculpt more accurately and much more realistically. Once i get the sculpting process down i will start using that to create better characters. Im expecting to learn alot form this, so why not get some criticism?

I plan to learn in this order:
Head
Torso
Arms
Hands
Legs
Feet

To help my learning process i will be sculpting these on separated chunks of my full character base mesh.

First, so i have a record of where im starting from, here is my most recent head sculpt:
headhy.png

After some CC, i built up a reference sheet mostly composed of work from someone i very much look up to, Selwy. I used this because his work seems to show the forms of the face perfectly, where as its hard to find pictures that do this.
refsr.png

While i was putting together that collage, i went into my fathers library and found a 2 inch thick book on all of Leonardo Da Vinci's notebooks, which i was so happy to find because this should cut down the constant searching on the internet.

1leonardo.jpg

So im off to attempt a new head, this time actually looking at a reference as i sculpt. Feel free to CC how i treated my subdivisions and main face form on the head above.

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok just spent about an hour or two working this up, this should give a good comparison to my previous head. References help alot!

head2z.png
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    So you're using someone else's work as reference? I wouldn't recommend that - I mean obviously a lot can be learned from master studies, but you also just copy their mistakes. Work from photos or live model if you can.

Also, the ears on your models are sprouting out of the head in quite a peculiar manner. Compare how the ears in your references are attached to the head to the ears on your models and hopefully you'll see what I mean.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say start with skull studies, get some crits, then work on facial muscles, more crits. When you have that road map, start blocking in the forms...not details but the plane changes of the head.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku wrote: »
    So you're using someone else's work as reference? I wouldn't recommend that - I mean obviously a lot can be learned from master studies, but you also just copy their mistakes. Work from photos or live model if you can.

Also, the ears on your models are sprouting out of the head in quite a peculiar manner. Compare how the ears in your references are attached to the head to the ears on your models and hopefully you'll see what I mean.
    Google isn't very friendly looking for reference images for stuff like this, or im not getting the keywords right. I see what you mean about the ears, its almost like they come up and then go in like a crater. Ill practice sculpting ears on a single plain and post back.

@Psyk0, was actually drawing skulls today. Ill try to sculpt a scull out of a sphere/cube in ZBrush, but im not good doing things 100% in Zbrush. I always use some sort of base mesh. I suppose i could cut the ears off and just turn it into a skull. We'll see how it goes.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Even tough the site is kinda dead, there is some realy good information on some of them:)

http://www.theartofanatomy.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=573733027bd9a73da0cd7b81e544786c
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Don't be afraid to use multiple objects to get the job done in ZBrush. There are some people out there that do full characters with a few polyspheres and zspheres fully polished but seperate pieces. If you're making a skull just use two spheres one for the jaw and one for the rest of the head. You don't need a perfect base mesh these days as long as you know good theory about topology when you go into the retopo phase.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the ear for you guys to bake up some crits on while i get to work on the skull

earv.png
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wet willy!!!!!

thats a pretty good ear! It looks like the top got dented.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the basic skull form from a sphere, probably not going to go into detail like cracks or anything, just making sure i got structure right

skullyk.png
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the jaw looks a pretty big, if you rech up and feel your teeth through your cheek its really narrow in comparison to say the cheekbones. from the side the nasal cavity looks too pronounced and high up. I'm not a character artist though. life drawing will help you wonders when it comes to learning anatomy and form etc.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Pen
    Paper
    Seriously
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Pen
    Paper
    Seriously
    I find myself always drawing torsos and muscles along with skulls anytime im away from my computer, ill post some up at the end of this week :)

skull2.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do. As to the comment to prior, that was in no way meant to be rude :poly122:. Looking back on it now it actually looks rude but was not intended to be that way. Ill rephrase that.

That third description was pretty funny. So basically do different types of faces and get used to the way all the forms act? Im curious as to how id go about doing this, if by one subdivision level you mean stay at the lowest? Or do you mean mid-level and get as much detail as i can?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Indeed, I stumble upson Piors website at least couple of times a week to get inspired :O And perhaps the reason why I'm still drawing alot more then learning a 3D sculpting program
    Its just a matter of time..:) Im glad you made your own post frell lol I was actually getting worried FrozenThrone would never come back T-T
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I use Burne Hogarth to bone up my anatomy skills. He's a great source for beginners. Andrew Loomis is another one.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some sketches i did earlier today, some of them are a bit sloppy though. The skull on the very left was cut off during the scan, along with not alot of the pencil being picked up.

drawa.jpg
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I'm seeing a lot of heads from directly in front, or in profile.

Draw more in perspective, such as 3/4ths and any angle between to better understand the forms.

If you draw direct front or profile you'll tend to rely on the iconography that you learned since you were a child, instead of how these organic forms really look.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Work simpler. You've got a fair share of proportion issues, skewing, placement issues and so forth:
    simplifyPO.PNG

Start with simple shapes, get those ingrained, then add detail. Good examples of simplified shapes are Andrew Loomis's "planes of the head" and "the asaro head" made by John Asaro:
    basic-forms-thumb.jpg
    loomis-planes.jpg
    planes.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had no references and i didn't want to try it without any sort of base. I also haven't drawn in a while so i drew those basic heads to 'warm up'. Working up a new drawing right now using references in the angles you described.

The sketch-angle of that skull helps alot, thanks.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frell, your trying to capture the detail of the face right off the bat. Try to get the basic shapes of the head like shown in snaders pictures, until your confident you have the right shapes, and then start the details(also dont go and draw them in a single line, slowly build up on it), I can see that happening with your eyes and ear, also I draw with a pen, that way I can't erase my lines. This way I can actually see what I did wrong !
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres 2 basic drawings. The bottom right drawing I drew way too small which now I see was my problem on the previous drawings, aside from adding too much detail.

Tired of drawing for now. Going to attempt one of DKK's head suggestions and ill work up more sketches tomorrow.

draw2k.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    You're making some powerful progress here, keep it up.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok heres the basic blockout attempt suggested by DKK. This was actually frustrating to do but it looks like it can prove very helpful for capturing facial expressions easier.

headfrontd.png
    headsided.png
  • Undren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff here!! Keep at it!

Prior: Holy Sh**!

If anyone hasn't seen this: http://www.pioroberson.com/
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice!! The jaw and chin area seems bit longer but your getting there!!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    There are many great books on anatomy that arent too complicated to get into. HGogarth uses round forms and suggests the torso as the first thing to work out as all else is attached to it. Ricter's book is also very good, but there is alot of text in the first half that you probably wont bother with. Bridgeman also has a long fan following and adapts a more sculptural style to his explanations, simplicity can be found with Chris Hart (comic artist) and there are many more. No one book is the end all of explanations though and in order to get the full picture, you'll have to invest alot of time on several examples. Also Learning to draw the forms will give you a much better understanding and make you a better sculptor. If time is no object than I strongly recommend that route. Unless you are frustrated by having to overcome the frustrations of illustration in which case, open Zbrush or whichever and do the best you can...good luck.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, well i started sculpting in ortho view, and then when i turned on perspective it became heavily distorted because in zbrush the smaller the object the more the warp. I remember capturing the outline of the face first and then doing internal features, i must have gotten distracted on the distortion of internal features and forgot about the outside.

newfacew.png
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    For your drawing studies here's a little workflow to try out. I did this studying Loomis heads a while back and saw drastic improvements. Actually, writing this.. I should do this again. Anyways...

1. Draw from your reference. ANALYZE what you are drawing ... don't just copy it.
    2. Now, take tracing paper and trace your same reference (loomis, bridgeman, whatever) DON'T SKIP THIS!. ;)
    3. Now, repeat #1.
    4. Look at the instant improvement you just made.

For my studies I spent about 45 minutes to an hour and a half on each one.

Now, do this once a day focusing on one subject at a time for a period of at least a month. I guarantee you will improve and stuff will sink in quicker.

Good luck, and keep it up!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually do that technique on alot of the stuff i draw, it really does help alot, thanks.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    This thread is great Im learning a ton with you and from you keep it up

and Thanx to everyone else contributing
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had alot of work to do today so I put off the drawing for a bit and sat down and worked up a head to see how much ive learned. I noticed some differences, like not feeling 'lost' on what to do and also almost 'feeling' the skull under the skin, although this face is relatively chubby.

Im going to have to fix up my base mesh a bit, you'll see where i had alot of trouble moving it and dealing with it.

godfatheru.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah at this stage its a good time to read up on Hogarth/Kevin Chen or similar about eye and eyelid structure. There is an awful lot to know about then and it will help you tremendously.

Also about the black dudes face : try to not look at it as a face - just read the outlines, the hills and cracks, and so on. Basically unplug your social brain telling you "hey it's a person!". Then observe the profile line very carefully for instance. Heres one easy mistake to fix : the region between the lower part of the nose and the upper lip (the moustache zone basically) in profile is supposed to be convex on that guy (bulging out), not concave. But on your sculpt I can tell that you thought, 'hey, heres the upper lip, its gotta stick out, because my memory and my own personal projection tell me so!'.

Now there is indeed a little hook sticking out on that guy (riiight on the edge) BUT this is way smaller than your sculpt res. That means, you shouldnt put it in your sculpt! Thats why this exercise is good - it filters out details.

Good luck!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also - its frustrating, because thats how its done hehe :D As for Zbrush fucking up perspective and form perception, I'll say it again and haters gonna hate : Pickup a Mudbox demo. For this fondamental stuff you wont need any fancy Zee-brushes anyways, and the 3D representation in mud will be much more accurate.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also - its frustrating, because thats how its done hehe :D As for Zbrush fucking up perspective and form perception, I'll say it again and haters gonna hate : Pickup a Mudbox demo. For this fondamental stuff you wont need any fancy Zee-brushes anyways, and the 3D representation in mud will be much more accurate.

Thats good to know! thx pior
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah at this stage its a good time to read up on Hogarth/Kevin Chen or similar about eye and eyelid structure. There is an awful lot to know about then and it will help you tremendously.

Also about the black dudes face : try to not look at it as a face - just read the outlines, the hills and cracks, and so on. Basically unplug your social brain telling you "hey it's a person!". Then observe the profile line very carefully for instance. Heres one easy mistake to fix : the region between the lower part of the nose and the upper lip (the moustache zone basically) in profile is supposed to be convex on that guy (bulging out), not concave. But on your sculpt I can tell that you thought, 'hey, heres the upper lip, its gotta stick out, because my memory and my own personal projection tell me so!'.

Now there is indeed a little hook sticking out on that guy (riiight on the edge) BUT this is way smaller than your sculpt res. That means, you shouldnt put it in your sculpt! Thats why this exercise is good - it filters out details.

Good luck!
    My base mesh really messed with me trying to make eyelids, ill have to fix it up, and thanks. Actually the whole eyelid area is a complete mess, eyes too wide, very thin etc. And about the upper lip...

TheGodfatherFree_450x300.jpg

That is who i based this off of, i followed his face pretty well up until about the 4-5th subdivision when i added the cigar and expression and it changed quite a bit. His upper lip looks like it has a bit more of an outward bulge than people normally do, you can see it under the bottom lip also. I had this image side by side to ZBrush through the entire sculpt and i tried not to 'guess' on anything :P Thanks though.

Ive never tried mudbox, but i know alot of good zbrush artists dont like it for some reason, not sure why. Maybe ill try it eventually.

What exactly do you mean by hook?

Not trying to argue, but i dont want to seem completely ignorant to the subject :poly122:
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think of a hooked nose. A bit like a cartoon witch that "hooks" downwards.

Mudbox vs Zbrush isn't a huge deal. I've used both and the core functionality for each program is solid. I'll admit Zbrush's interface and naming convention can be a little twisted, but if you're familiar with it, it's a non issue. Mudbox doesn't have the same array of sculpting tools that zbrush has, but it's still a very solid program and does excellent texture painting.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah i see it. The front of the nose really doesnt move as much as i moved it. Going to fix up my base mesh right now and try another sculpt tomorrow.
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    Also, what with it being holidays and all, there are a couple of great traditional sculpture books by Philippe Faraut that I'd recommend. They are for traditional sculpture but I find that the techniques and exercises in the books translate very well to 3d.

http://philippefaraut.com/store/books-dvds/portrait-sculpting-anatomy-and-expression-in-clay.html

http://philippefaraut.com/store/books-dvds/mastering-portraiture-sculpting-book.html

And if those are too much $$$ at the very least I'd look into Modelling-Sculpting-Figure-Edouard-Lanteri [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Modelling-Sculpting-Figure-Edouard-Lanteri/dp/0486250067/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1[/ame]

Keep it up!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its totally worth every penny though : ) cant go wrong with it
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Your really making some progress, i am not an organic artist, but theres a real improvement there, keep it up dude ;)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20849318.png

This was... ehh....
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im honestly not very happy with my results on full face sculpts. I will be dividing my face base mesh into chunks like eyes, chin and mouth, ears, etc. And practice them individually without being distracted on the rest of the head. From my recent sculpts I am noticing something new, my fear of volume. This is most noticeable on the wrinkles in the forehead but I see where it can be redone in many other places. Ill also have to dig around for a better sketchbook while im at it.

Ill be back! Until then, give me key points where my problems show and ill address them in the next posting.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That seems like a risky thing to do - you just wont develop your sense of balance. Things connect to each other in overarching arcs and lines of strength that you just wont see here. The full face rough sculpts are a very interesting thing to do, and the fact that you found it hard proves that you were learning. Dont chicken out!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I felt i was being distracted and i noticed selwy did the same thing when he was learning. These are also very large chunks, and it only takes 2 to make up the face. Ill do a few of the mouth and back to the full face so i don't get used to this.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mouth

moutho.png

Im having problems getting nice crisp creases that are nice and puffy like from the nose to the mouth, i usually use the clay and standard brush to try and get a nice 'dip'.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont carve the creases in - overlap masses out to create changes in planes. The creases are a result of that, not the cause. Again, you had all that in that lowpoly black dude head.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do overlap them, i mean i use a very thin high intensity standard brush right on the crease and then smooth it down for sharpness, or ill use it from an angle that makes it overlap.

Alright, i spent about 2 good hours on this head. I myself feel like i am satisfied with my progress and i'd like to move onto the torso, but i'd rather take everyone elses opinions.

Hair is half-assed just for the head.

headfull.png
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the area where the sternocleido mastoid muscle connects to the scull dosnt look right. it looks right now that it connects to his lower jaw, and ends at the start of his ears.
    i suggest u fix this by repositioning the ear , properly define his jaw line, and making sure that muscle goes behind the ear, and doesn't stick out from his face like it does now .
    other than that, it pops in my view that the skin/muscle tissue between his upper nose and his cheeks and at the sides of his mouth look just alot like a huge clay brush stroke that isn't cleaned up.

the eyes are pretty nice, the mouth looks more like a crease.

keep it up, ur making huge procces
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message