Home General Discussion

3D Coat, Topogun, Wrapit - Dare to compare?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bumper polycounter lvl 9
Hello all,

I'm in need of a retopo middleware for my Zbrush/Max pipeline and need help deciding which to go with. I work in game development as a prop artist but want to be a character modeler when I grown up.

I've downloaded the demo for 3DCoat and Topogun.

Here are my thoughts.

Topogun:
  • Simple
  • Very easy to lay down the base geo.
  • Excellent use of translucency in the viewport. Makes it very easy to see what I'm laying down over the reference mesh.
  • Seems to be without bloat
  • Can bake out maps (though I haven't tried that yet)
  • Only 100 bucks

3DCoat
  • Fairly easy to get the geo built/quads laid down
  • Viewport representation of retopo geo and reference mesh not as well rendered (transparency.)
  • Has layers for multiple retopo elements
  • Seems a little convoluted/bloated
  • Has a number of more retopo tools as well as an auto-retopo (though I didn't find it viable for my game model needs.)
  • Has a bunch of other bells and whistles (ie. 3D paint.)
  • 350 bucks.

Wrapit
  • Sadly no demo so I haven't tried it.
  • Appears to be an awesome hybrid between manually creating retopo geo and an automatic system.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks!

Replies

• z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    I've only used 3DCoat and find it to do very well for my needs. It gets updated very often and I find the interface nice and clean. I mainly use it for retopo and for 3d painting. If you only need it for retopo you can get the student edition.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I've been wanting to give Wrapit a go for a while, yet there is still no demo, and finding impressions on it that aren't on the official website is difficult.

personally, I use (and love) topogun. It's just a shame it's another separate program. If anything ZBrush or Max should have their tools more like topogun.. right now they both have viable options but they aren't as user friendly.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Have you ruled out the ZBrush topology tool? Might not be as good as the others but I find it does the job.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    always found max's graphite modelling PolyDraw tools to do the job just great
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Stinger88 - I have indeed tried the Zbrush tool and find it to be half voodoo. I find it frustrating.

catsytle - I agree that the graphite tools are viable, however I don't find them nearly as friendly as Topogun or 3DCoat.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    3DCoat is pretty awesome for tedious retopo. Retopoing hands in Topogun is a pain in the ass for me, I don't know about anybody else.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ceebee wrote: »
    3DCoat is pretty awesome for tedious retopo. Retopoing hands in Topogun is a pain in the ass for me, I don't know about anybody else.

I love topogun, but hands in it are just a massive pain :(
    what I do in that case is block in placeholder cylinders, import them, then simply move the verts onto it. or do that part in max.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I've been wanting to give Wrapit a go for a while, yet there is still no demo, and finding impressions on it that aren't on the official website is difficult.

personally, I use (and love) topogun. It's just a shame it's another separate program. If anything ZBrush or Max should have their tools more like topogun.. right now they both have viable options but they aren't as user friendly.

Wrapit is really shooting its self in the foot by not offering a demo.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I've been using Topogun since beta, and I love it.

What is it that people find tedious about doing hands with it?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    havent try wrap it although the demos look really good, I bought a license of Topogun some months ago, and I find it really useful, huge time saver and very quick to learn. Also baking the maps is very user friendly and it gives you an option to use hardware AO when baking, so its faster.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Wrap it is awesome, I tried the beta and loved it. Far superior to Topogun and you can use all max's native tools and the graphite stuff in conjunction with it.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    me wants 3D coat! lets hope i can get one if I somehow magically find money somewhere in my room T-T
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    i find topogun's surface snapping to be the best out of all of the mentioned programs, and the interface is something you will be at home with when compared to conventional 3d packages like max/maya.

it is unfortunately lacking some of the newer fancy tools and some things like extruding edges or sliding edge loops arent in it(unless i have missed them all this time!)

it also has some really nice baking and mesh projection features that I dont know if 3dc has(anyone know?)

zbrush's topo tools are basic and get the job done but it will take alot longer than using the other programs imo.

you cant really go wrong with any of them. it kind of boils down to the interfaces of them and differences in workflow.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Viewport representation of retopo geo and reference mesh not as well rendered (transparency.)

this not entirely right, i guess you mean that meshes clip through the surface of the highres? it was somewhat pissing me off at the beginning as well, but it helps seeing how different the lowpoly is from the highpoly. if you want it to render more like topogun, just push the zbuffer value way higher, 50 should do for pretty much anything.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Unleashed 100%.

Topogun is awesome in that it's a solid app, with in my opinion the best mesh visibility for retopo.

It's also lightning fast and can handle very dense models.

3DCoat is great, but not worth the money if you only want it for retopology. If you're gonna make use of the other stuff (the painting is awesome) then I'd say go for it since it's a nice balance between the tools in both Topogun and WrapIt.

WrapIt is incredible, but it is still a Max plugin. The retopo helpers are unique, and very powerful, but you're gonna be using Max tools, which has it's pros and cons. The biggest downside I've found is that you're relying on Max to handle your high poly mesh which it doesn't cope with as well as Topogun. In my experience, I've had to optimize meshes a lot more to work comfortably in Max than I would if I was doing the same in Topogun.

My workflow is usually a combo between Topogun and WrapIt. I'll use Topogun to quickly lay out things like faces/heads, accessories etc, then anything cylindrical - arms, legs, fingers etc I'll handle in WrapIt since it's so quick and easy.

If you just want retopo, I'd go with Topogun and WrapIt together, if you will make use of 3DCoats other tools, I'd say go with that.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Topogun had a lot of good momentum behind it but the tools now feel very dated in comparison to 3DCoat and Wrapit. I would probably go with Wrapit because it's got every single tool that 3D Coat and Topogun has and along with the native max toolset. A superior deal for $50.

Beyond retopo, 3DCoat IS a great price if you want all the rest of it's tools, which are awesome. The Voxel tech continues to mature and the 3d texturing is really good.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford wrote: »
    Topogun had a lot of good momentum behind it but the tools now feel very dated in comparison to 3DCoat and Wrapit. I would probably go with Wrapit because it's got every single tool that 3D Coat and Topogun has and along with the native max toolset. A superior deal for $50.

Beyond retopo, 3DCoat IS a great price if you want all the rest of it's tools, which are awesome. The Voxel tech continues to mature and the 3d texturing is really good.

Topogun has fallen behind a bit, true, but their Version2 is coming up which (they claim) will have all those bells and whistles. And the upgrade from v1 (current) to v2 is supposed to be free. Which means you really can't go wrong with it for its price.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Neox wrote: »
    this not entirely right, i guess you mean that meshes clip through the surface of the highres? it was somewhat pissing me off at the beginning as well, but it helps seeing how different the lowpoly is from the highpoly. if you want it to render more like topogun, just push the zbuffer value way higher, 50 should do for pretty much anything.

Right on, thanks Neox! Worked like a charm.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Just realized I put this in the wrong category. Doah. :poly124:

Anyhow, I'm really stuck between 3D-Coat and Topogun. Wrapit will just have to wait until there is a demo (which is supposedly in the works.)

I like the "feel" of Topogun waaay more than 3D-Coat. However 3D-Coat has more tools and isn't as buggy as Topogun. Considering the student or 3D-Coat "lite" is only 100 bucks, money really isn't as much of an issue now. I don't need 3D-Coat's other features as I use Zbrush for sculpting and painting.

Topogun has a version 2 supposedly on the way. I'd REALLY like to know what is coming. There are a few features that it's missing that would most definitely put me over the edge towards Topogun.

Still playing with demos.

Thanks for everyone's input.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    something worth a mention is 3DCoats projection is much more accurate than wrapit. I find wrapit often makes verts jump once the projection is done.

Also 3DCoat has some great paint tools. The Normal map painting can be exceptionally usefull for fine detail
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im trying to learn topogun anyone know any good tuts?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    Im trying to learn topogun anyone know any good tuts?

http://www.topogun.com/media/videos.htm

All you need to know.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Damn, I want to buy Topogun. There is something about it I really like (If pressed I would say it's simplicity and ease of baking out maps) but 3D-Coat just seems so much more rounded out in terms of tools, not to mention more stable.

My apologies for the public hemming and hawing. I'm a tight-wad and HATE buyer's remorse.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcoat is also more than 3 times the price of Topogun, and I believe Topogun does a better job at Retopology (even more so if you consider future free upgrades).

That is, unless you're getting the 3dcoat educational license, which is the same price as topogun. In which case, you're getting quite a deal. Real decent Retopology tool, plus a 3d painting tool that's second only to Bodypaint (which is priced ridiculously at $1k).

So, do the math I guess. It depends if you're going for the 3dcoat educational license or not.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    even more so if you consider future free upgrades

this is a pretty random point, as it could apply to any of these tools, zbrush's uprades have been free so far and 3dcoat's as well, we will see how wrapit goes on but i kinda doubt that he will charge people for upgrades on a plugin
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I have yet to use Wrapit or Topogun, but I have used 3dcoat and Nex. I like how everything feels in 3dcoat, but Nex is more streamlined in the ability to use multiple tools at once with different keyboard/mouseclick combos. you can define new hotkeys in 3dcoat to compensate for workflow, but nex utilizes a lot more versatility in that you can access a payload of functions by adding in mouse clicks (e.g. CTRL+LMB, CTRL+ALT+LMB, CTRL+MMB, CTRL+ALT+RMB, etc, etc.) to access more tools & functions than just additional functions
    if there is a way to customize 3dcoats retopo functions to meet that kind of versatility, I would love to know!
    but nex is also built around a pure modeling functions within maya as well... soooo yeah.
    waiting for Christmas to get topogun. i've heard great things about the AO bakes out of there as well :)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I've asked for control over mouse/tablet input in the past in 3dcoat, especially for topogoly. It didn't go over well. I don't think many 3d artists have much experience using apps with features like this - it's still not a very common UI feature in most software - so they either ignore it or overlook its potential to improve workflow and focus on what the default UI provides. Unfortunate, because it makes a world of difference in speed. This makes it difficult to sell the idea to a developer like andrew because he tends to respond more to requests that have a lot of user interest.

I rate nex as the best topology solution available - assuming you have maya. The combination of focused tools and mouse input is unmatched. Before that I was using a custom mouse config in Silo for doing retopology - less focused tools but mouse customization still enables you to build a fairly fluid workflow with what you have. I mostly just use 3d coat these days though, so I'd still love to see mouse customization make its way in someday.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I don't get it James. You can customize your tablet to fit with each program. I've seen people doing texturing in 3DCoat and it looks like pressure sensitivity works. I don't see a reason why you can't configure it to better work with a tablet.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    hes talking about binding the mouse to functions as you can in silo id imagine. The mouse in silo is treated the same as the keyboard keys.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The only thing puts me off buying a third party app is that you never know what will happen with that company, they might go bust or similar. I alwasy make sure I have a solution in the 3d package I am working in and graphite mdelling tools works well for me as does zbrush retopo which is a bit quirky in this regard, but it does the job ok.
    I tried the Topogun demo and it kept crashing for me.

If I was going to buy anything I think I would take a chance on wrapit.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, what r_fletch_r said... sorry if that wasn't clear. =\
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    this is a pretty random point, as it could apply to any of these tools, zbrush's uprades have been free so far and 3dcoat's as well, we will see how wrapit goes on but i kinda doubt that he will charge people for upgrades on a plugin

Yeah, good point.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid about those things. Considering Max/Maya and those big types don't give free updates, and they charge for every version. zBrush hasn't done that yet, but they haven't said that they won't. It's possible that they'll come up with ZB5 and decide that it's a paid upgrade. Likewise for 3DCoat, which is more of a competitor to zBrush. So far it's been free upgrades, but there's no guarantee. Topogun however, does say that future upgrades (like from 1.6 to 2.0) will be free.

Minor point I guess, but it's there nonetheless.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks everybody for your input.

I ended up getting Topogun. It's simplicity and baking tools really won me over. Furthermore, the developer has promised a version 2 that will add some features that are similar to features found in 3D-Coat. He's also implemented a means of making the license portable from machine to machine.

I could see myself getting 3D-Coat someday as the UV and painting tools look pretty useful. I'm still keeping an eye out for a Wrapit Demo...

In the meanwhile I'll stick to the tools I have/already know.

Thanks again!
    -Bump
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    this one is free and seems to have many of the features as wrap it, i am going to try soon, looks very promising and you cant beat free shit.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo

****edit***
    also version 1.5 looks a lot better, although a can not find a download link, hopefully it will be free too.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpK-5xvLWrk&feature=related[/ame]
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    I've used Topogun before and it worked fairly well as long as you can look past random crashes(for some reason certain key combination just make it explode).
    For straight up retopo, I now use that last script that arshlevon posted. I'm using it with Max 2011 and it runs nice and smooth. Using a maxscript lets you work in the same software you're used to and with all the poly tools you're used to.
    Thumbs up from me.
  • cornaciousx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an example of Topogun in action I'm debating this myself and Topogun to me, is persuading me very well http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/donald-future-modeling-process/
  • Ramrok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also for Maya users, there is Quad Draw which seems to show promise.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    In my experience, topogun is great and deserves recognition. Especially for its AO baker, always has great results, and quick too. Though the only downfall to topogun, is that it doesn't remember your last bake settings when you change objects in your scene, or load new ones for that matter.

The tools for retopology are wonderful, though can bug out with inside points on a surface that are not selectable. Unless your camera goes to odd or inside angles.

I very much love maya's quad draw. The most fluid and easy to use retopology toolset i've used with no bugs of the sort. As with 3ds Max's graphite tools. I find them quite poor, and knowing it's easy to setup (not as easy as maya's) but when doing so. You have to tell max to how far an offset your new topology will be created at. (This blows!) Often times more than I can count, gives no accurate results. (Just like max's uv's system compared to maya's) ok rant over, haha
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Before anyone else joins in, this thread was double-necro'd. The original discussion is over four years old.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I think if I do hardsurface retopo I go Nex in Maya, if I have to retopo organic topogun/3dcoat
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Before anyone else joins in, this thread was double-necro'd. The original discussion is over four years old.

and still no production ready automatic solution around!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Is Topogun still in development? Seems like it was dead. Last update to their site was 2 years ago. Meanwhile 3D Coat is updating monthly still.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Is Topogun still in development? Seems like it was dead. Last update to their site was 2 years ago. Meanwhile 3D Coat is updating monthly still.
    Very much dead. Just as this thread previously was :poly124:
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VGuerreiro polycounter lvl 8
    So! and I'm still here trying to decide if Topogun is still worth it, considering I already have Zbrush 4r7 and Maya 2014. And nope! Topogun is not dead, they just answered to me and some other guy they were updating it to version 3 but they have no release date..soooo I think I'm inclined towards buying TopoGun2. Any opinions/considerations?

p.s.: I was looking for a thread like this for a couple of days, and finally found it! so I really hope the discussion is still up and that the thread is still alive as well as TopoGun is alive! :p
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    I forced myself to learn how to retopo in ZBrush, and loved it.
    Then I was introduced to Topogun, and hated everything else.
    I'm still a huge fan of Topogun. It's just so built for that kind of work.

BUT - I finally got off my high horse and tried Maya's new retopo tools, and was a bit surprised by how competent it is.

So when I don't have access to Topogun (or time), I recommend giving Maya's tools a go. err, from 2014 above. Preferably 2015 ;)
  • flipside8404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have both Topogun and 3D Coat, but mainly use Topogun for retopology and 3D Coat for UV unwrapping. In my opinion Topogun was a bit more intuitive and easier to use on the retopology side, and the result of the retopo was a bit closer to the reference mesh compared to 3D coat. I ended up adjusting a retopo'd mesh on Topogun after trying 3D coat, maybe it was the transparency settings in 3D coat that's messing up my work (: )_ I also favor Topogun baking options, it is really fast and sometimes get better results on normals than what X Normal can produce, specially AO maps. I tried auto retopo on 3D coat and I have better results doing zremesher on 4r7 using retopo brush guide.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I've tried almost all the retopo programs and find myself always going back to zbrush's retopo just for sheer convenience.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    wow, what a bump! I used to say 3DCoat but I've started using the graphite tools in Max. I found it can do all the same things I did in 3DCoat plus I have all the powerful modeling tools I'm familiar with along with greater control over the lighting & shading. Just make sure you create hotkeys for all the tools you'll use, if you find yourself clicking on icons in the graphite toolbar you're going to be too slow.