Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

School Assignment - Character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey all!
We just got an assignment today at uni to create a character for thursday.
Kinda panicing here because my strength really isn't characters..

The assignment was to create a concept and a 3D model, with max 10k tris.

This is what I have so far:

3492lqh.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the head and the arm shields/cannons.
The goal was to create a parrot-ish look.
I'm having some serious problems getting the lower parts right though.. Don't like the legs and crotch.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uncolored version if you found the colored ones hard to watch:
    2n7kwhz.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I too am currently making a character for a university assignment and i struggle with them too! My knowledge of anatomy is poor! Although thankfully i get 12 weeks!

Your character looks good :)

although what are things on his arms? Is it a diving suit?

The colours look good, it reminds me of eyptian-ness!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!
    The things on his arms are both supposed to be shields, propulsion for short leaps through the air and plasma cannons. I haven't modeled the cannons yet though. :P

I decided to make him shorter.. I think it added some more character.
    Let me know what you think!

nd90r6.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh cool sorry! Ill let you finsh modelling before i start questioning things!

The new height does give him alot more character, i like it alot :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah the new proportions are working a lot better, I like the lack of leg armor, too.
  • RPTGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like where your going with this, its got a kind of Egyptian god thing going on. Keep going :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

I keep going back and forth between the tall and the short versions though.. I can't decide! >.<
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Could you explain more the physics of the arm shields? You said they aid in propulsion. How?

Anyway, this is a really cool character!
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    i like the look of the character but he doesnt look like he has much manoverability in the suit ?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Short version ! Short version ! With elf shoes !
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another WIP shot, including a rough concept.
    I decided I go with the normal height one. My girlfriend persuaded me. She loves the postmen in Wind Waker, and this character reminded her of them. :P

j81x8k.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awwwwww but....but....the short one :(

lol nah he's looking good man :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! :)

Here's a quick test render I put together to try some settings for the final presentation on thursday:
    9fu1sm.jpg

Gotta pose him now, unless anyone have some crits on the design?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay.. I kinda took this in a completely different direction than I had planned.
    I figured that since I'm in school again, I should learn something new instead of trudging in the same old tracks, so I decided ti HAND PAINT it. This is something I have never done before! I'm having a great time so far. It's a lot to figure out by trial and error, but that's just fun! :)

Here's what I have so far:
    ndt20w.jpg

I'm sure there are tons of things I've done wrong, but that's why I'm posting here!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the texture!

Am I doing this right? x)

33ua83l.jpg
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Lookin good :) Cant wait to see where and how the plasmacannons fit in :)
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far. Have you done an AO bake? That will help guide you with the shading.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! :)

@camza: Yes, I did an AO bake, and it was very helpful! :) Thanks for the advice though!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I call it done?
    jpwxnt.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man! Looks great! But no, I would not call it done, think of the hyperdetail..the little things. The dings, the scratches, the worn paint. It doesn't have to be like, heavy. But sometimes the little things make the big things come out more.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Man! Looks great! But no, I would not call it done, think of the hyperdetail..the little things. The dings, the scratches, the worn paint. It doesn't have to be like, heavy. But sometimes the little things make the big things come out more.

Thank you very much! :)

That's great advice! I had totally forgoten about that. Cheers, I'll definately do that.
  • DoomerEX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice colour scheme, and the face has lots of character. Am I right in thinking the shields swivel round to use the cannons? 'Cause it looked that way. Paint-job is looking quite off-the-shelf level new, so you might want to wear it away in some places, and dull it down.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomerEX wrote: »
    Very nice colour scheme, and the face has lots of character. Am I right in thinking the shields swivel round to use the cannons? 'Cause it looked that way. Paint-job is looking quite off-the-shelf level new, so you might want to wear it away in some places, and dull it down.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Yes, you are correct! The shields rotate around 180 degrees to allow the wielder to aim the turbines/cannons at the target to shoot or to boost away for a short leap.
    I agree about the paint job, and I am currently trying to add some wear and tear to him, but I keep failing.
    Do you have any advice on how to go about wearing it down a bit?

Cheers!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    this is a really cool design! I'm going to repeat what other people have advised and say put in some smaller details! Don't go overboard, I like the clean look you have going on here. It wouldn't have to be wear and tear either - I think a hexagonal pattern over the black joints would look great and give it a feeling of a real material, some translucent shield effect emanating from the shield arm would break things up a little bit too.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits man! I really appreciate it!
    Both the hexahonal pattern the hologram ideas were awesome, so I decided to implement them! Thanks!

Do you like how the hologram looks?

j6lle0.jpg
  • Muffinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reminded me of shriek from batman beyond when i first saw the concept

SHRIEK.jpg
  • DoomerEX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no experience in skinning, TBH, I'm just calling it as I see it. I have no effin' idea what everyone means when they talk about "Baking" and "Normals".

And I agree with fearian, a hexagonal patern on the black looks good. Actually, as far as the shield goes, a honeycomb barrier of hexagons would likely look pretty awesome too, but you'll have to ask yourself the question as of whether it is better than the current design, which is more subtle. Again, just calling it as I see it, no experience(yet), I just hang around here to check out some of your awesome stuff.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomerEX wrote: »
    I have no experience in skinning, TBH, I'm just calling it as I see it. I have no effin' idea what everyone means when they talk about "Baking" and "Normals".

I'm not even a 3d artist and I know what Normals are.
    I think you might need to know what normals are to be a character artist.

Oh dear.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay.. I think I have to call this done now.
    Closing up on the deadline, and I don't know what I can do to fix it up more. >.<
    Any ideas on last minute changes?

2ljp0f4.jpg

Cheers!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right.. Decided to spend the remaining time to try and add some scratches.

Do you think this looks better? More or less?

29pyssi.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay.. I'm really stretching it now.
    Gotta call it done! :D

I did some minor color changes and tweaks here and there. Added some deep blue to the shadows etc.
    Also, I decided to tone down the scratches a little bit.

Hope you like it! :)

15oe2rl.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Nice character design and well executed, my only comment would be it seems to be lacking small details. Things like model numbers, bar-codes and company logos. Even something as simple as a security window is sold by having that small sticker in the bottom corner. Its those details that its currently lacking in my opinion.