Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Colonel Duke

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
Soooo, I recently joined polycount, mainly because when I looked for help/advice/tips on google, I'd often end up here. Since this site has a lot of nice, experienced members willing to help in a constructive way I though I'd join in on the fun...:)

I just finished a 3D character for my portfolio, and hopefully it'll help me get a job in the video game industry. Here's a quick video presentation of him.

Like stated in the video, visually the goal here was to have a next-gen level model with stylized proportions (like TF2) but with realistic, detailed textures (like Gears of War, Crysis, etc). Basically Brink but with more exaggerated proportions.

As for the character's personality, I invite you to take a look at the short film he is based off of to get a feel of his personallity. Colonel Duke is basically a Buzz Lightyear for adults, hahaha.

What I'm looking for here is some advice and constructive criticism on the model, especially on the technical side, so I won't repeat any errors on my next project.

I followed the basic workflow:
-Base mesh in Max
-Sculpt in ZBrush, hi-poly hard surfaces in Max
-Retopo in Topogun
-AO and normal bake with xNormal
-Texture work in Photoshop
-Rigging in Maya

Here are the specs of Duke:
-Character: 15,676 triangles ; 2x2048 maps (diffuse, normal, glow) specular is a 1024
-Gun: 3,530 triangles ; 1x1024 map (diffuse, normal, glow) specular is a 512

And here are some Marmoset renders:

Duke_3D_Turnaround_Textured.jpg

Duke_3D_Turnaround_Wireframe.jpg

Gun_Turnaround_Textured.jpg

Gun_Turnaround_Wireframe.jpg

screenshot0.jpg

screenshot02.jpg

screenshot12.jpg

screenshot13.jpg

screenshot14.jpg

screenshot16.jpg