Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - Concept Art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
dw5_pre_main-header.png
We are not making a game, nevertheless, it would be awesome to see artists’ interpretation of how characters in a Dominance War Universe would look like in an MMO type game. Important things to remember, DW is a world comprised of magic, technology, aliens, machines, and demons. The time period is set in the distant future where cities lay in ruins and signs of great wars can be seen across the lands. For further specifics, please read about character classes available to create and about the rules & regulations for the following categories: 3D Character Art, Concept Art, and 3D Character Animation. World standings await the best designed prelim entries! Good luck to all those brave enough to enter!

dw5_pre_wargen-header.png

I am that which strikes fear in our enemies hearts, for it is I who controls the tide of battle. I do not hide, I do not run, I am at the forfront of every battle and with me, I bring my horde of loyal subjects who are willing to lay down their very lives for my cause. My knowledge in tactics, weapons, and the art of hand to hand combat, are second to none. Without me, there would be no victories of war because I am the judge, and I am the jury, of lives, battles, and the changing shape of the world. I insure Victory, I insure Dominance, and I insure War!

dw5_pre_technomage-header.png

I am defense, I am offense, and at your command, I bring you glory. Through the perfection of science combined with magic, I can be hope and I can be terror. Rumors of my kind are thought to be legends. When I am around, walls of light can block the strongest of attacks, rain will scorch the land with fire, explosions will come forth from the gestures of my hands – my powers and might knows no bounds. Although weak in the finer points of hand to hand combat, I have many ways in which to avoid it. To have me at your command is to insure your Dominance in War.

dw5_pre_shadow-header.png

I am everywhere, yet nowhere. I am he who strikes from the shadows. Like the weight of your conscience, my presence can be felt but never seen. What takes many strikes by most, I only require one, for when my sword is drawn, someone has died. Great generals, legendary technomages, the most powerful corrupted, and even emperors, they all have weaknesses, and it is through my particular expertise, that they all can be brought down. There is no fear when I am around. There is only death. Those lucky enough to have survived my passing, live in terror for my return. I am Dominance and I am the finest points of War.

dw5_pre_corrupted-header.png

I am a nightmare that travels the worlds. I have no name, but I have many faces. Some call me cursed, others, abomination, however, amongst my kind, we are known as evolution. From the pits of hell, or from the fusion of machine with norms, I am perfection in the face of battle, for I have the ability, and interest, to deal, wage, and win wars. We have great numbers, for we are everything unnatural, and only the most powerful are able to destroy us. To become us and to serve our lord, you must be willing to sacrifice your mind, your flesh, and your soul, as it is only with this sacrifice, that you are able to do anything for Dominance and for victories in War.

dw5_pre_genrules-header.png
  • Everything for this challenge must be made from scratch (animation category may use base mesh supplied by DW). No pre-existing ideas, sketchs, drawings, base meshes, or body models can be used.
  • Keep gore and nudity to a decent level please! Don’t get DW banned in various countries!
  • Artists can only join 1 team for all of dominance war V. If you start with polycount, you cannot later switch to gameartisans or cgsociety. Traitors are not welcomed.
  • You are not required to enter all challenges. Pick the ones you like, and join.
  • This is a wip challenge. Posting your work in progress in your chosen forum is ABSOLUTLY MANDATORY. Do not wait until the last day to show your progress or you can potentially be disqualified.
  • You can only submit one 1000x1000 350k max final image. What this means? 200w x 1000h is fine. 999w x 500h is fine. 1001w x 200h is NOT fine. This image must include your team logo, your characters name, and your personal name and/or contact details.
  • You can use any 3d, 2d, or animation software package in the world to create your entry. You can also use traditional mediums like pencil, paper, paint, etc to create your entry.
  • Only 1 entry per person. Do not create or try to create multiple entries with different user names.
  • Final submissions are final. If you upload your final image 4 days before the deadline, do not ask us to change it. Make sure you are happy with your image before you submit it into the system.
  • Public voting to find each team's best entries, starts December 6th and will continue throughout the Christmas break. Later, each team’s best will be gathered into a single pool, and a grand champion will be chosen and announced with all other Dominance War V event champions in April 2011.

dw5_pre_concept-header.png

You have 4 weeks to finish with the following specs:

• Create a full color concept piece that contains Two of the above characters. Bare in mind, this is a game art challenge, so your concept should be a game concept art design. The character you create should look like they can somehow be transfered to a low polygon budget MMO 3d character.
  • Your two depicted characters can be side by side partners, or enemies who are bent on destroying each other. They can be standing idle, fighting, doing a dynamic pose for the camera, it's really up to you.
  • Action poses are fine, as long as most of both bodies can be seen. If multiple characters are created in your image, example, a fighting scene is occurring, then there should be a clear emphasis on who your main two character in the concept are.
  • Important: Your entry must include your team's logo emblem, or colors, or both, on one or both of your character's skin, gear, clothing or weapons. If logo, it must be visible on your character(s). If colors, your character(s) should posses obvious clothing tones of your chosen team. For logos and colors, visit - Here
  • Your single image must show 90% of both characters' bodies. It would be a bad idea to hide half their bodies behind a wall, a door, in a hole, etc. If one leg is hidden behind a horse or mount, it is fine. Creating a top view of a character so that mostly his/her face is seen, is not a great idea for this challenge.

All Concept Art work in progress entries are required to be posted in this thread. DO NOT create your own thread for this challenge.

If you have any questions, post them in the Pre-Dom War V FAQ Thread.

For more information and the full brief, head to the Official Dominance War site.

Good luck.

Replies

• nilknarf815
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    My first DomWar, I decide to join team PC! Good luck everyone!
  • Jordan Nichols
    Should be interesting.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'm in!

I just had a look through last years top 25 in 2D again. Realised that there's No Polycount up there!...hmm...Gonna have to change that this year eh. I doubt i'll get in the top 25 but i'll give it a bloody good go. I know there are artist here who could get up there though. Anyhoo. this mini should be a good warm up. I'll try not to burn myself out for the main event. 1 month seems a long time for a mini challenge.

GOOD LUCK ALL! GREENTOOTH ARMY.......CHARGE!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Sign me up. Going 2d for this comp! I got a lot of cobwebs to brush off the wacom but that also means a lot pent up concepting energy!

Should be fun guys, lets do this :D

POLYCOUUUUNT!!!!

Whew, feels good competing again.
  • Krel-Tal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What better way have we to enter into Polycount than through the Dominance War?

I'll have some thumbs posted ... just as soon as I finish this history paper that's due tomorrow morning.
  • Shazrak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first Competition of this sort I have decided to join in on and I have decided to do it through Polycount :) Because I am pretty new at this I am not completely sure if I need to do any more in order to officially join the competition (other than creating my account and getting started).

I look forward to giving it my best shot and contributing to the great art I am sure we will all be seeing in this competition! :D

*Excited*
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    OK. lets kick off. tbh im not feeling any vibes from these thumbs but its a start. I'd say I like 1 best though.

thumbs1z.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 6
    I would like to participate also. :p
    I have a few sketches that i need to scan but i did this quick paint earlier today of one character that will be in mine.cretalus1.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadow.jpg
    Sketch for a first go of the "shadow"
  • gineticz
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick sketch =]thumbnailportraith.jpg
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Create a full color concept piece that contains Two of the above characters.

Could this be two of the same type? Like two war generals facing off?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NathanA: The rules don't stipulate that they have to be two concepts from different classes. So two War Generals facing off is perfectly fine (I take it you're doing a good vs evil?).
    Bare in mind that if you do the same class, that you make sure that the two concepts are significantly different from one another. Submitting the same body type and design with a head re-design will not count as two different characters :P
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    TO ARMS BRETHREN!

lets do this!

take up arms all you seizers of the sharptooth and make this battle one for all our foes to remember! let them tremble at our majestic might and retreat from our regal rioting!

the drawbarian shall open up with a 120 thumb-splosion of roughness! beware all who would oppose polycount; for its soldiers of slaughter are as keen and as sharp as any battle axe and as durable and dastardly as any armored cobra!

let the halls of battle forever bleed from the gnaw marks of that green effigy that hovers over all of us here at polycount. let its warm green glow of giving and grace envelop us with protection and may we wield its power as the strongest weapon.

huzzah for polycount!

thumbs_01_jouste.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOOHHHHHH SSSHHHHIIIIIITTTT!
    It just got serious all up in here!
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    I'm definately feeling some awesome vibes from D3
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i lyk A4 and B4 =] keep it up
  • lampekap
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah about time someone kicked that tumbleweed aside!!
    Ill join ya here when i can Jouste, good luck buddy.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I dunno....Here's me having a huge creative block. Struggling to come up with even the simplest of ideas. And in steps "Mr. polycount celebrity" Jouste and drops 125 thumbs. Like they are going out of fashion....Geezus! :P

Awesome stuff! Its inspirational and motivational seeing good work like that. I cant choose though. They are all good. Cant wait to see what happens.

Heres somemore thumbs. I'm getting a better vibe from these. 5 and 2 are the strongest but I think I'll probably mix them up and do a combo.

thumbs2l.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger I'm really liking #2, has a great silhouette and most importantly looks doable with mmo art restrictions. Just a couple bones would be fine for animating those wings.
  • nilknarf815
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    Ryha: Giant Man-eating-mantis?
    crazyfingers: Nice PC helm. looking forward to the rest of the character.
    gineticz: Creepy. thats just creepy, general pregger. Is it a parasite?
    jouste: You crazy zealot! way to fire up this thread. RAAAAAWWRRRR~ FOR POLYCOUNT!
    Stinger88: I'm digging the chains of #5.

Some thumbs of corrupted for now.
    predomwar-thumbs.jpg
  • TylerA8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I did a quick concept for the Shade. I'm gonna give it a shot at 3D for my first DW. Let's go PC!Oversuit.jpg
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger i like two and three, maybe a slight mix?
    Nilk, 9 is a neat idea and so is 6. and i think 3 is crazy cute like a puppy!
    and yes i was going for bug like monster

Anyways, i finaly got my pen sketches scanned, so these sketches came before the cruddy paint up above. My other character is a Technomage.mauriapensketch.jpg
    cretalussketch.jpg
    Oil pencil^
    scene.jpg
    The idea for my Piece ^
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lo' and there was many a thumb scrawled onto the cave of inspiration. frozen in time for the ink was the blood of minotaurs, the most resilient pigment ever fathomed by the feeble minds of men.

for the first three roughs i shall pick my more abstract thumbs! let these champions be bizarre and asymmetrical!

so the drawbarian forged onward with the war howls of his sharptoothed comrades. the bitter cold gnawed him not or drawbarians are hairy folk who have no time for pneumonia or other trivial ailments.

the art-axe swung true and three rough creations were forged into our realm like searing bolts of electric flame!

let it be known that these are mere ideas, and the final product may in no way represent these crude forms and shapes. may these scrawlings aid our righteous cause and unite us brave polycounters under one banner, the true banner, the banner of the gray and green.

champion rough 1: mol'tekk, the land's revenge!

-from the thumb i wanted to have some floating slabs of rock that were infested with vengeful spirits that come under the command of mol'tekk! i was going for an angry war general that was a furious chunk of land that became a giant monstrosity.

champion rough 2: cauldronis, the alchemic nightmare!

-from the thumb i thought of a character made up of 2 elements. i thought of a sweet concoction of alchemic juices that used the cauldron lid as a shield. the thigh area are made up of burning coals to keep that kettle body boiling!

champion rough 3: major frenzy, the furious fatalitizer!

-this guy is a corrupted avatar of pain and agony that attacks with his spiny appendages and howls about with his disgusting face! the screws are driven into him to increase his lust for battle!

i'm probably going to do a combo of these guys or something but it was fun to rough them out!

roughs_01_jouste.jpg
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Cauldronis is a must. Don't care who else you choose, but he needs to be in your final! :D
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    @Stinger88: I agree that 2 is the strongest and seems logical for the restrictions placed.

@nilknarf815: I like 3 the most. It reminds me of this cool sloth type creature.

@Jouste: You sir have just won the internet :P But seriously though, I have to agree, Cauldronis is looking to be my favorite. Such an abstract design and just seems so cool. My second fave is Major Frenzy.

Unfortunately the first one seems the weakest because I can't really tell what is going on. Are the slabs his arms? Or is he just legs and a head and the pieces float around him to defend him? I know you didn't have to go with a humanoid shape, I was just curious. I've always loved your style on DA, looking forward to what you come up with in the final.
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Definitely like Cauldronis also, and im loving your style!!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    nilknarf815: 6 and 2
    jouste: 2. Great use of the lid as a shield. Will his weapon be a ladle? loving the patter as well. :)

ok. Here a combo of 2 and 5 with a female twist. Might give her some headgear but I kinda like the idea of a skinhead. Also might stitch her eyes up or something. Maybe thats been done to death though.

Also thanks for the feedback. Hadnt really thought about how the model would go into MMO but it will influence my design choices from now on.

thumb2fem01.jpg
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    @Stinger88: I feel like your original silhouette was much stronger than this one actually. The design is still fine and making it a female is ok, but the strong like bamf pose he/she had in the original thumb was more dynamic in my opinion. What I would do is just copy that, scale it up and trace over it and make any changes that way so you can keep your strong silhouette.
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided to scrap my previous general + corrupted baby pose since i felt it was too dull...and decided to send in an army of my corrupted babies instead =)composition2.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cauldronis was a small hit! thanks for the feedback polycounters!

so here's another pass at the guy. i armed him with a parrying ladle and a sharptooth sledge. i also streamlined the cauldron design and got more character into his ugly mug. i feel like he's slowly getting there. thanks for all the positive boosts friends! to victory for polycount!

roughs_02_jouste.jpg

now onto the next thumb rough pass to drum up an adversary or ally for this viscous vicious vanguard!

wish me luck comrades!
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    Where did Cauldronis's face go? O.o

Totally in love with the design. Totally making me think more outside the box when it comes to my own art as well. Looking forward to this final product!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we should just have a jouste competition.
    and then jouste can win all the awards.
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sup? Im new in the forum :)

my first sketch:

256vi9j.jpg

3vcorruptedsillouettecopyj
    img13
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya,

Please could I sign up to PC for Concept Dominance War?
    I missed the last years, I feel ready to try it.
    Hope you can give insight, am a rookie to the "War" but been following Polycount for several years.

Regards,

Will
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody !

Long time since I posted on the forum.
    There's my first WIP:

A Technomage girl (well-dressed steampunk-like backpack) who corrupted a warrior (War General ?) with her fluo-green-poly-energy-fluid in her backpack ;)

I'll post a scene concept soon...

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_01.jpg
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jouste your character design is up there with Mike Kunckle <3
    but one small thing, tangent with his arm/ handle of the sledge.

I have a turnaround of my female character, i'l upload it once i add some test colour.
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it Ulrick!

Alrighty, i have a turnaround of my technomage, Mauria.
    Mauria_Turnaround.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WillMac wrote: »
    Hiya,

Please could I sign up to PC for Concept Dominance War?
    I missed the last years, I feel ready to try it.
    Hope you can give insight, am a rookie to the "War" but been following Polycount for several years.

Regards,

Will

Firstly, welcome to Polycount.

There is no "official" sign up procedure for this particular Dominance War Challenge. All you need to do is be a member of the forum you want to represent (which you've already done) and then begin posting your work in progress.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do, and good luck.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Jouste:

Great work, very fresh ideas.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Had done some preliminary sketches, this is what i've got so far for my technomage. Still haven't figured out what he's going to be fighting.

technomage_progress1.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    jouste!!! effing awesome dude :) you never fail to make me laugh
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suburb, I love the line of action and detail in the mech trousers.
    Mech trousers make me smile and think of Wallace and Gromit. :P
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Alright fellas I am a turncoat this year and will be (hopefully) representing polycount in some dom-war 2d hotness.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Thanks a lot. I'm changing the legs and adding a new perspective to the piece.

Anyone have an idea on who he should be fighting?
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe a shadow character behind him/ sneaking up on him. Orrrrr a giant monster. Or, to balance size you could have a very small character fighting him. >.>;
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth