Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trent's 3D Portfolio

Hello, I am new to polycount.
I am a 3D Artist
I have a BFA from The Art Institute of Dallas in Media arts and Animation.

I will start posting my recent 3D work.

-Feedback negative/positive is always wanted :) I want to get better

Replies

• TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hulk is my most recent character model. 5,500 trisMap-post+copy.jpgHulk-Print-2.jpg
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a character I did at the Art Institute, concept is by Daryl Mandryk http://members.shaw.ca/dmandryk/index.htm
    dmandryk-cg-1.jpg

beauty-turnarounds-c+copy.jpg
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TrentSnow
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great job! Hulk's face looks a little weird but nothing short of awesome.
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! yea the more I look at it the more I see something wrong with it. I think the jaw
    isn't correct.
    one more prop I forgot to upload
    Beauty-Post+copy.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like the problem is with your spec and normals on the hulk.
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a crate I did for a company as a test.Crate.jpg
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My problem with hulks face is that it is way to narrow. Hulk always had a very wide face - aka big distance between eyes and wide jaw and such. Even Eric Banner had a wide face...

Edit: hehe, he actually looks like as if Bruce Lee got turned into the Hulk which is perhaps one of the coolest characters I could ever imagine...ever.
  • jelott18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin good mate!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hulk look angry! Im liking the props better! Nice work!
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    not bad.
    i should say, that you have to work more with painting textures, than with photo placement.
    and do not make your lighting untensity so tweaked up, try to set them up softer and add a contrast rim light.
    will wait for updates
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    and remove that horisontal loops from boxes, cos it's looking a little lame
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank! jason and raul and Klumpmeister

zxcman- thanks for the input I guess I do photo resource too much compared to hand painting, I will work on this, also on the loop on the box I have symmetry applied to the crate, if I remove the loop it destroys the texture, is there a way around this?

BlvdNights- Hulk-Spec/normals wrong. Do you think it's not casting right?

JGcount- lol yea I see the hair now looking just like bruce lee and the facial expression...waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! lol
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my latest model for my portfolio, I thought I would model something that's really popular to see where I'm at compared to the artists at microsoft. Trying to push myself to get better. Texures are about 75% done so there is still quite abit of touching up to do, the metal is not there yet, the scratches aren't realistic yet, some of the colors are kind of flat still.Post-5+copy.jpg
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the halo helmet. This is the first time I'm trying to present wireframes into my lopoly with textures.Post-7.jpg
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is really inspiring, I am feeding off of your creativity :P keep it up
  • TrentSnow
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, it seems you are doing some pretty good work. I especially like how the sandbag came out.

The biggest issue I am seeing is that when you bake out your AO you aren't including the other half of the model... this is causing the AO to be lighter at the seams... easiest to see on the hulk model and the base of the gun case...

also a way to get around creating that loop through the boxes is to mirror the individual sides instead of just slicing it through the center.

I know you said you aren't done with the texture on the helmet, but be sure to watch your mirroring. As it is now it is extremely noticeable in the front. Be careful as well about the scratches that continue from a raised area into a depressed area, as that will not happen very easily in actual use.

Can we get a shot from above and behind the helm as in a 3rd person shooter view?
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    You really need to stop desaturating your normal map and overlaying it over your diffuse. You're negating the purpose of the normal by forcing a faux lighting on your diffuse. All of your specular maps are bad. Again, you just desaturate your normal or diffuse and call it done. It's a horrible practice and is seriously hurting the effectiveness of the normal map and the whole next-gen look. The crate, hulk and sword it's painfully obvious in your renders. Even if you didn't have a diffuse or specular it would look better than it does now, but only because you'd be letting the normal map do its job. Don't take that personally as a fair number people have done this, but it's a really bad thing to do.

Your snow soldier guy has a torso that is about 8-10inches too long. Pull the whole crotch area up so that the bottom of the pants are about as high up as the wrists.

Future helmet. I don't want to go to in-depth with what i personally think is wrong, but from my standpoint it looks like you just extruded any polygon that looked like it would be okay to extrude. That makes it look like it wasn't ever really designed, just something straight out of your head. Hence the randomly extruded parts.

Anyway, sorry if comes across overly tough, but sometimes it's gotta be.
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 wrote: »
    You really need to stop desaturating your normal map and overlaying it over your diffuse. You're negating the purpose of the normal by forcing a faux lighting on your diffuse. All of your specular maps are bad. Again, you just desaturate your normal or diffuse and call it done. It's a horrible practice and is seriously hurting the effectiveness of the normal map and the whole next-gen look. The crate, hulk and sword it's painfully obvious in your renders. Even if you didn't have a diffuse or specular it would look better than it does now, but only because you'd be letting the normal map do its job. Don't take that personally as a fair number people have done this, but it's a really bad thing to do.

Your snow soldier guy has a torso that is about 8-10inches too long. Pull the whole crotch area up so that the bottom of the pants are about as high up as the wrists.

Future helmet. I don't want to go to in-depth with what i personally think is wrong, but from my standpoint it looks like you just extruded any polygon that looked like it would be okay to extrude. That makes it look like it wasn't ever really designed, just something straight out of your head. Hence the randomly extruded parts.

Anyway, sorry if comes across overly tough, but sometimes it's gotta be.

I appreciate your time and knowledge, this will really help me out in realizing things I am doing wrong that I thought I was doing right or looked good. I got a job in the industry finally so I havn't had time to work on my portfolio, but I will be entering the Dominance War 5.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, nearly all ur specular maps are too bright and high contrast. Also, NONE of them use color. I suggest you look up how to make specular maps. Its more than just editing the levels of the diffuse map and then desaturating it.

Take a look at my texture sheet. The specs are on the top right corner.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rooster/ID_software.html
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/rooster/eat3D01.html
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    Dude, nearly all ur specular maps are too bright and high contrast. Also, NONE of them use color. I suggest you look up how to make specular maps. Its more than just editing the levels of the diffuse map and then desaturating it.

Take a look at my texture sheet. The specs are on the top right corner.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rooster/ID_software.html
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/rooster/eat3D01.html

cool, I like your art test for id, this work is older and I will be posting new work soon, I will be entering dominance war if it ever starts up lol. I agree with you 100% on the spec maps thanks for pointing that out, I've read up on some good spec map tutorials.
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be entering the BRAWL instead of Dominance war hehe.
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render-2.jpg
    Chrysalis I made for an Art Test for Certain Affinity. The Concept came from Certain Affinity. I was given 10k poly count restriction and a maximum of 4 materials. I made this with 2 materials both 2048x2048. This is my most recent model now.