Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scott Homer - Humvee WIP.

Howdy!

I'm new here, i've been fairly active over the years on various websites and always lurked here but felt my work wasn't at a level that I was proud enough to show you guys. I'm very impressed with the amazing level of work here and its incredibly inspiring to see so many people at a great level in one place.

My current project is part of an ongoing show-reel, I have about 5 pieces at various stages of completion and as part of my degree this piece needs to finished by Tuesday. I've put several weeks into this and im quite happy with it so far. The vehicle is going to be part of a game trailer I am working on with fellow students, details to follow.

The basic idea is a Humvee, i originally modelled out a 1.4million polygon high poly version, then crunched this down to a mid-poly 70k model. (including 5 wheels and an interior + the main gun) I then baked out the high poly details onto the low poly mesh and textured it up accordingly. It is almost finished, however i have to texture the Seats and spare wheel. I am currently working on an environment to put the Humvee in for my final render.

High Poly Model:
FrontHumvee.jpg
BackHumvee.jpg

Low Poly Model:
dxjj5.jpg

Low Poly Assets:
rendersmall-1.jpg

Current stage of texturing:
qq2xG.jpg
la8KM.jpg

I would love critism, i will make an effort to act on any constructive critism as always. Any questions too, give me a shout either here or on PM!

Thanks, Scott.

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Model looks great, but your renders dont show it to its full potential.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty sweet dude. The noisy normals on the front fender needs to go though I think. I know that you are going for a damaged look but the paint is perfect. I would expect that paint to be coming off and some rust on the underlining metal. Plus the noisy that you have on there right now kind of makes it look like stone.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick replies!

@Frell, is there any particular position you think would perhaps show me model of to its full potential? I am currently working on an abandoned aircraft hangar to put behind the model to give it some kinda of context.

@Orgoth02, Thanks dude, the brown bumpy normals around the arches are Mud, the spray from the mud hitting the surface of the metal. Which area was it in particular that you thought looked too noisy? Im more than happy to revisit that area, ive set aside at least a day for tweaks. Rust, yeah, i think it could definately do with some rust, im with you on that one too. More progress will be posted within the next day (its 3.30am here in the uk)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The same position as the first render would be great, the way you have it now only really shows us the side and the corner, and i think alot of the glory is on the turret and hood etc.
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Yep, I think showing a view a bit above the level of the prop would do some justice. In the renders you have great action looking shots, but it'd be good to also include a one that shows the overall prop would be good to showcase it in all it's glory. You'd get to see more of what you've done with the turret and such(unless youre trying to hide that). I think it looks great though. What is this rendered in?
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    I'm curious, what is your current texture map size? are you using multiple texture maps? Like for example are you using a separate texture map for you 50 cal right now? Also Some wires and flats would be nice. As for feedback i like the over all color and feel of the piece, but the super noisy mud/ dirt on the tire and in the wheel well is what killing you right now, tone that back a bit and you are on your way to one sweet piece. Keep up the good work !!!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Realy nice work, i agree with must of what the others have said.
    I would like to add that the field of view is a bit to high for my taste, the perspective gets distorted.
    I like the mud you have added nice tough, but it might be to noisy on the tires.
    Also would be nice to see a wireframe of the humvee :)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for all of the crits, i have taken on board what everyone has said and i have made the suggested changes to my work. I have fixed a bunch of other issues and a textured a bunch of things that needed to be textures. Its almost completed, just got some odds and ends to add, (little details such as interior finishings)

(in an effort to answer questions posted:)
    The piece is rendered in Marmoset Engine with no post processing outside of the engine. Its an amazing system, best £30 ive ever spent.

I have changed the FOV, and id agree that it definitely makes the render look alot better, as do the differences in camera angles you guys suggest.

The textures are both 2k and 1k textures, 5 or 6 of them. I wouldnt usually put this amount of detail into an in-game model, however im trying to get the balance between real-time and realism.

Thank you so much for your help, here are the latest shots, any input as always is greatly appreciated.

lsNAn.jpg
    bAJEl.jpg

E4xTo.jpg
    H8dP6.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress, improved lighting.

05AzU.jpg
    f1JWO.jpg
    18tM1.jpg
  • scotthomer
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    yup, that looks awesome, altho i wish the lighting setup was brighter.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the new renders
  • Jonathan Marshall
    It's ready. Let's ship the game tomorrow. lol
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good. I think the lighting should be bumped up a bit to show off the geometry. I also noticed that you could see through the gaps in between the wheel and the wheel well, and see that there is no structure under the body. I think that could be fixed pretty easily, without a ton of additional polys, and would go a long way towards selling the model as realistic.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    very nice looking! love it
  • Fugitmdup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work, looks life-like.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im glad you guys like it, ive put alot of work into it, and hopefully i can use it as a benchmark for my entire showreel that is currently in the works. I will be leaving university in a few months time and hopefully my showreel will be my ticket into the Games Industry.

I have fixed the problems mentioned above, and also improved the headlights using 6 lights and a projection map.

Here is the final thing: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBjP-2ptS8s[/ame]

And here are a few wires:
    final1.jpg
    final1WIRE.jpg
    final2.jpg
    final2WIRE.jpg
    final3.jpg
    final3WIRE.jpg

Thank you all for your help, i will be moving onto another piece very soon, so watch this space!

*EDIT* Just got fronted over on 3dhit.co.uk, pretty chuffed.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed this piece up a bit for my show reel, had to make some changes and added a base. Removed a few of the loops to try and cut down on the poly count.

newrender1.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Could you give some simple renders, just the normals (no diffuse), no white outlines. Just simple black wireframe on a clay render?

I think I see a few really simple ways to save a lot of polygons, but I can't quite focus with the complex rendering style and the triangulation.
  • Seanfac3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    75K???? In game model? That is crazy high poly if it is for a game engine.... You could get that same look for around 10-15k (maybe lower). Is it for a game engine?? Or just a show piece? Either way, it looks funky fresh, nice work.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i'm seeing a lot of banding in the background of the image, that on purpose?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humvee-Beauty-BASEMESH.jpg
    Humvee-Beauty-Realtime.jpg

You asked and i have delivered!

I cut lots of polygons out over the weekend, 20k to be exact, its now down to around 60k polygons. I think im done with it now, im aware that its not low poly enough to be considered a game prop, however all of the interior is modelled and the framework/exhaust is also modelled. 60k is about as optimised as i was able to make it without losing the quality of the work.

The work is actually intended as part of my showreel, its a show piece. Ie its not going to end up in a game, just as something pretty for the start of my reel.

Im glad that you guys like it however, "Funky Fresh" :D

Erm, the branding is just to get my name out there, im aware that I repeat my name several times through all of my work, but I want to make sure that Scott Homer sticks in the mind of anyone watching my work.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I guess this is a question for the lurkers since he is 'done' with this...

On stuff like the the Door cross beams, and the center of the the axels and the little stuff like the small light below the the fuel cap, would it of been better to normal map that since it didn't add to the silohette?

Jerermy Lindstrom said banding... not branding..
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Beautiful work man! I dig.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Hm yeah as I thought - your rims are pretty costly. They look like they're about 2K apiece, so for 5 wheels that is 10K triangles. There's no reason why the rims need to be ~40 sided when the wheels are ~30 sided, I'd say 20 or 25 sided because they are smaller. And even less sides all the way on the inside, maybe 16 or so. I also think you don't need 14 loops(?) on the rim, maybe half.

Cutting the sides in half and removing those loops would easily save you about 4K polygons. Now you might say it's only 4K - but that's still about 7 percent of your budgets for some fairly simple optimizations.

One other thing, close to the wheels, are the wheel wells which come off awkwardly angular in comparison to the wheels.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    wow. ace work. really dig it. :)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wonkey - I will be revisiting this piece again due to the overwhelming feedback regarding the poly counts. I will be creating LODS, most likely 40K and 20k, as i agree that the poly counts are unrealistic, alot of the details i have modelled in can easily replace with normal maps.

@Killnpc - Thanks dude!

@ Snader - Great advice, i reckon following this i can easily half the poly count. Ill post up updates as and when i can.

@Mikezoon - cheers :D

thanks so much for the great advice, i really appreciate it! Once university is out for christmas (next week) i will definately push this piece to get the poly counts right.