Home General Discussion

Layoffs and Closing?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
I have heard that Treyarch and Raven have laid of quite a bit of people, along with NSpace closing its doors. Were any people affected here, as id is hiring and would like to help where I might be able to.

Spark

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    That is the one big advantage of having so many layoffs. The surviving studios get to poach all of the best talent. I don't mean to criticize, Spark. Though slightly mercenary, it is an entirely justified response. And I'm certain that anyone who has been affected by these regrettable closings would be more than grateful for an opportunity at ID. Any studio that has extra funds in their coffers should be shopping the talent pool. As it is a buyers market right now, you have the chance to snag some of the best artists and coders around.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hahah, yeah didn't mean to come off that way but I honestly would like to help some people out. Gearbox down the street is also looking for people here in the Dallas area if those who are in need want to pass them a line. But good luck to all, and hope not many were affected.

Spark
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh there ya go... I didn't think we were going to be so lucky as to forgo the normal seasonal layoffs. With a bleak holiday season about to roll in and so many places looking to bolster their yearly reports with last min mad dash sales we'll probably see some more overhead slashing as the weeks drag on.

Good luck guys...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think I like how Raven does business. A lot of studios seem to shed a lot of staff once a title is released, but Raven seem to do it for every single title.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Lets just say EA will be having huge layoffs in october from what i hear from some of the managers that work there.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Hey spark I sent you a pm with some stuff :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    sad news :( Going from new IP to making DLC for other Activision games, kind of the wrong direction for a 20 year developer.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    (edited was a bit off topic).. too many vets laid off recently and lack of studios in the (dallas) area leaves the companies able to cherry pick candidates leaving students and junior artists in the lurch unless they are megatalented as the folks at id, heard several times id would be 5 years of industry experience and top notch talent. I've almost given up looking for 3d stuff in Dallas now, I've already started applying for IT jobs again..
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    The industry can be a sad and scary place sometimes.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Is this stuff that makes me cringe when I hear about my friends' kids going into game design. In the last week, 2 people have told me about their kids taking this direction, and I bite my tongue, because they are so excited about it. I hope this trend eventually turns around :/
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    There is a huge requirement here at id Jeremy in hipoly which is a difficult subject to do if you are in a company that doesn't do it ( took me a long time from ensemble to id, due to that ), and sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have recently gotten 5 of my students into id as stampers and beginning art interns but those were students that have been under my wing for 3 yrs. Jeremy, drop me a line as I teach a class and if anything you can stop by to catch up and see if you might be able to network something.
    Rayph: Thanks for the email, sent you something back.
    AE.: Damn, havent heard of anything coming from EA, but yeah soon as the 4th quarter comes by, they seem to drop quite a bit of people.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Good luck to everyone affected, I hope you all land on your feet soon! Not sure how much help I can personally be, but there is a large quanitity of positions posted on our site (over 35!) and we are actively recruiting multiple disciplines. I'm sure our recruiters would be thrilled to see some experienced talented folks send their resumes our way.

http://38studios.com/jobs
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    ae. wrote: »
    Lets just say EA will be having huge layoffs in october from what i hear from some of the managers that work there.
    wouldn't be surprised due to what happened with NBA Elite
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    This is really sad to hear. I'm glad that people are offering help. I know it can be a hard road to climb from what I have seen of people who were laid off here in late Spring. I hope people are able to quickly recover and land new jobs.
  • mikernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alot of us here in Madison figured there would eventually be another round of layoffs at Raven. Unfortunately it did come true. It was kind of emotional to me personally as I was cut in last years 1st round layoffs and now more friends and ex colleagues are in the same boat.

Obviously alot of various emotions were coming out as we shared beers at the bar. A few people I talked to felt like a big burden had been lifted in a certain sense and remain positive and excited for future endeavors.

It is a very rough time to try to find a new job. I think studios are not taking many risks and hiring few new employees even if you have many years of experience.

The vibe I'm getting is the "generalist" artist is what is in demand. That being "concept/model/texture" a asset from start to finish. While an individual might be very good or stellar in a couple of the skill sets, they always ask about all three and would rather hire/pay someone to do it all. Which in itself makes the criteria for future employment even that much harder.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikernaut wrote: »
    The vibe I'm getting is the "generalist" artist is what is in demand. That being "concept/model/texture" a asset from start to finish. While an individual might be very good or stellar in a couple of the skill sets, they always ask about all three and would rather hire/pay someone to do it all. Which in itself makes the criteria for future employment even that much harder.
    I think that's true for a lot of places. If they can get someone who can do all those things exceptionally well, then they are going to go that way. However they probably would lean toward someone who can do 1-2 of those things exceptionally well rather than take someone who can do all 3, adequately.

I think the old rule of "jack of all trades master of none" still holds true and that people should master one thing before looking to master another. Studios are now in a position where they can ask for masters of more than one discipline, which actually paints a much bleaker picture for the traditional generalist.
    Slum wrote: »
    I really hope we don't see what happened at Mythic, happen to Blizzard... I know they're different companies and Blizzard carries a lot more clout but I have to wonder if layoffs are coming... so much hiring and a few titles wrapping up... Activision is a giant gaping maw, and its hungry.

Seriously scary sh!t if that ever goes down.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I think what's often confusing and a little intimidating to those of us still working on landing our first gig is how much of this kind of corporate behavior is due to the economy, and how much of it is just SOP for the industry.

Sure, standards expected of green hires have undoubtedly increased, but I wonder how much different the seasonal / production cycle redundancy situations have changed in the last two or three years (or however long it is since the economy officially shit the bed)?

Still, heartfelt commiserations to all those affected. Seems like a lot of genuine talent let go, and I hope they don't struggle too much to find a new gig.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Having been at Raven during the first round of layoffs and having some of my best friends still there and feeling the effects of round 2, I understand how scary it is. I know a few who have felt the effects, but for those I don't know I hope you land on your feet.

Vigil is still looking for some senior level people as well. Just another place for anyone affected to hopefully find a new home.
  • Hitman187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wish the people at Raven, Robomodo and any other places the best. I feel for the guys that are trying to get entry level positions in these times. With all these layoff and studios being so tight in the arse on who they hire its tough for the non experience guys to get anything. I love this industry but its VERY unstable. Come in at your own risk.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I've got you beat, Jeremy. I've been looking for work for a year and a half. Talk about LEAN times! All I can do is keep plugging away at the folio, keep a positive attitude, and do as much networking as I can :)

Good luck to everyone.

3 years here. I got you beat :)

Not a competition of course, there's no pride in being unemployed for this long. But it may make someone feel better. At any case, I think it's just a sign of the times. I remember back in the day where everything was booming, people were saying not to worry, that even if the economy takes a downturn, the gaming industry would be unaffected. Never really thought that's true to be honest.

The one upside to all of this is that I'm looking forward to the days when I can tell young people about how tough we had it during the "amazing depression", or whatever history labels this. I could say, "back when I was your age, we didn't even have hands, We had flippers! And we made the best of it."
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    ae. wrote: »

EA has layoffs every November. It's inevitable. I was apart of the Pandemic closure last year. Even long before, when we were bought in 07, EA layed off a significant amount of regular EA staff to make up that cost of that purchase. But in most places the cold reality is, if the project your working on has weak numbers, be cautious, be ready, be alert. Unless your working on a hit or potential hit, there is really no reason to let your guard down. My advise is to have faith in your self and keep the drive alive. Don't put faith in the stability of dev houses. You'll be let down almost every time.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Vig wrote: »
    I think that's true for a lot of places. If they can get someone who can do all those things exceptionally well, then they are going to go that way. However they probably would lean toward someone who can do 1-2 of those things exceptionally well rather than take someone who can do all 3, adequately.

I think the old rule of "jack of all trades master of none" still holds true and that people should master one thing before looking to master another. Studios are now in a position where they can ask for masters of more than one discipline, which actually paints a much bleaker picture for the traditional generalist.

Is that just the smaller studios or the larger ones as well? I know that generalists are very good for smaller studios' schedules because of the lack of people in those studios... Do larger studios need generalists as much?
    Anyway, best of luck to all of those affected. And good thing that you're helping, Spark.
  • mikernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like many studios small or AAA would like generalists just because the economy and they are going to try and save some money versus pay 2/3 employees. Obviously there may be exceptions to the rule.

The other thing I have noticed is studios will trim down yet still will have way too much work on their hands to get done, thus working people even harder, bringing on people for contract work , outsourcing, etc. So in my eyes it's not solving anything, just causing more turmoil.

If you have a great modeling team wouldn't you like to let them model more and pass the assets to a texture artist/artists, thus increasing productivity and hopefully quality if it's handed off to a talented individual that can compliment the model? But that's not the thinking on the management / business side. They are more concerned about the dollar at cutting costs.

There has to be strong leadership and good decision making, otherwise most likely problems will ensue within the project.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Were looking for Environment guys here at Airtight.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    That's crazy I almost went to N-Space, luckily I didn't I would be in a bad position now.

Sad hope all bounce back soon!
    Good luck also.

By the way, anyone/kind hearted soul reading this want to be generous I'd love to give anything a shot.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Tried for a few years to get into Raven. Even learned Unreal and knew a few guys working there but Raven wouldn't even return my phone calls. Too bad for the layoffs but... *shrugs*.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hard to believe the games industry is like that. I mean I always thought the industry needed more people because it is such a skill based industry. It's not easy and so many people want to do it but can't because they lack the patience and knowledge to do so.

We work hard to get our dream job and being laid off after snagging your first job must be such a horrible experience to go through. I feel sorry for those that have been dropped and I seriously hope the industry stops being a bloated multi million system and starts to fail. In doing so companies may be forced to realise that we're no longer interested in the same games over and over and we want something original and unique. So hopefully they'll hire those that aren't quite as skilled as those already in the "circle" but have better, creative ideas to drive this industry forward.

I didn't spend 10 grand and spend 10 years of my life to work for an industry that lays people off at the first instant of a complete game.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Best of luck to all who lost their jobs, hope you all land a new gig quick.
  • jimmypopali
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Tiss the season to be fucked over.

Sorry to everyone affected. Dropping the cat metaphor yet again, but I'm sure you'll all land on your feet. Polycount is a ridiculously over-talented pool of individuals. I'm sure everyone will find employment soon.