Home Digital Sketchbooks

SKETCHBOOK: PerfectChaos

Hi Guys,
I'm new to polycount forums, been watching all your amazing work in the sketchbooks and currently working on threads while at work and thought it was time to start posting some of my crap. Any and all crits are very welcome, Thank you.

Here is a cow I'm working on, I think I'm almost ready to texture but would love some advice first, I think the hair should probably just be a 2 sides poly plane, the way I did it looks pretty dumb I think, and then I'm not sure but think that maybe the cheeks should be plumper? I'd need to add geo to achieve that.

120450.jpg

115843.jpg

120120.jpg

120013.jpg

120222.jpg

Replies

• PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on the cow at home, no updates right now, basically in the texturing phase. But I've been modelling Zipper from Rescue Rangers for the saturday morning cartoon low poly challenge on this site. Here's some progress, still WIP but coming along ok considering I'm doing it in my spare time at work.

Reference:
    zippermain.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

render001.jpg

render003.jpg

render003b.jpg

render004.jpg

render004b.jpg

That's all for now, been doing a lot of random sketching but don't think it's anything worth posting.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there and welcome to the forum! :) One question about the cow model, is it modelled to be in a game engine and if so, are you thinking about making it animation-friendly?
  • PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping to make the cow for a game engine, wasn't really planning on making it animation friendly but it would be better if it was. I guess a lot of the geo would stretch a lot if it was though right? What changes would you recommend? Re-working the geo around the areas where the joints meet the body?
  • PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked more on Zipper, have a lot of geo tweaking to do and the current texture is just placeholder so I can see the geometry lines better and make em all clean. Currently using a 256x256 but will probably use an even smaller one in the end.

render005.jpg

render005b.jpg

• PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much finished, this is the mental ray version with a 100x100 texture. Forgot to, but am going to add his 2 hairs just using a black poly plane. Tried doing a vector render but his eyes and mouth don't show up, is there a way to define certain sections of a texture to render normally with vector render? I tried adding poly planes with transparency with just the eyes and mouth so they would render but it didn't seem to work out, anyone have an idea on how you can add detail in vector render? Otherwise I might just photoshop it. Also going to do a slightly up-res version of the texture so the lines look better and the wings can be improved. Will update tonight and be done with this guy.

renderfin001.jpg

renderfin002.jpg

renderfin004.jpg

Starting this weekend I'm going to work on some TF2 hats and weapons so, sorry Mr. Cow you're going on the backburner.
  • PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished Zipper. about 1160 tris, 100x100 texture.

render7.jpg

Probably going to be done my first TF2 hat end of this week. Might post some of my random sketches some time some day.
  • PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently working on an Egyptian sword in my spare time at work. Very WIP:
    render001wip.jpg

• PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on my first TF2 hat, started working on UV's but still tweaking the model a lot. Here's my latest:

render036.jpg

Was thinking of stylizing it by adding some dips, here's a very rough idea of what I'm thinking, but I'm afraid making it look good would mean adding about 100+ tris, currently my model is sitting at a nice 796 tris.

render034.jpg

You guys think it's worth working on the stylized one or should I stick with the original? Any crits on either one would be greatly appreciated especially considering this is my first TF2 model. Thanks.
  • PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on texturing my TF2 elf hat, kind of a hassle right now since texturing is definately my weak point:

render046.jpg

Wanted to take a break from texturing so made the valve from Valve's logo, took about 15 mins, think I'll fix it up make it look like the actual thing and maybe stick it on the back of the Heavy's head once the elf hat is done:

render001.jpg