Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | Jaiza

Figured it was about time I participated in a challenge, I do mainly management at work these days so I don't get to model as much as I would like.

My theme is Industrial Decay.

Think:
- Abandoned factory
- Old power station
- cold war nuclear waste facility
- 70's processing plant

The challenges I would like to face:

- Learning UDK, Its something I have wanted to get stuck into for a while so this seemed like the perfect opportunity
- Creating the Environment with smart and creative use of modular pieces
- Finishing with an Environment that would slot into a beat-em-up game with ease

Below is a Moodboard, Progression board and a Blockout, done in 3DS Max.

Jaiza_MoodBoard.jpg
Level_Progression_Board.jpg
Blockout_Combined_01.jpg

Cheers :)

Replies

• Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I love how much open area you put into your map, it never really feels too busy or too empty. I look forward to seeing where you take this :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    agree this looks nice
  • kysterama
    I'm loving the reference images you chose and the scene looks really cool! My first thought was putting in some machinery and I thought about the end of terminator 2 with the giant vats of molten metal and conveyor belts etc. Would make a nice red eerie glow ;)

Replicating that great used and grungy look will be fun and I cant wait to see some cool props. I especially love the big turbine looking thing in one of your moodboard shots. I also like the use of two levels of fighting space throughout the scene. Nice use of space :)
  • Zatchbell
  • Jaiza
    Im in the middle of doing a million things but thought best to post a quick WIP up. :poly122:

Im wrestling with UDK a bit:

- Im getting tiling between static meshes with Lightmass like glynnsmith was, anyone have a solution?

- Also how do you disable SSAO?

Cheers,
    Jaiza

BEU_UDK_Early_WIP_01.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    I think you turn off UDK's SSAO here:

View -> World Properties -> WorldInfo -> Default Post Process Settings -> Allow Ambient Occlusion

Hopefully that takes care of the tiling.
  • 3Drobbo
    Hey Jaiza,
    Looks sweet! I remeber this problem awhile ago with some udk stuff i did. Found this, see if it helps...
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=27668863

So either theres a setting that might have been removed by Epic, or the suggestion was to cover it up (might not work with the floor)

Also i might suggest having a play with lightmass setting and getting a nice bake done. It might be the area of effect for the lightmass and some bleeding. Double check the meshes snap perfectly and its all nice and straight :)

/end
  • Jaiza
    Quick Update. Trying to make progress when I can

BEU_UDK_Early_WIP_03.jpg
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    What you have is nice and solid, I think that lighting and atmospherics can really be pushed to make this scene pop. Try getting some crepuscular rays coming through the ceiling from the sunlight, and some green mist kind of stuff from the slime. In general some fog would be a nice touch, as well as more darkening in the back of the angled areas in the first zone. Might be nice to have some small man-made light sources as well (little downlights maybe?) to add some additional points of interest lighting wise. Once there's decent radiosity bouncing around from the sunlight through the ceiling though it might just be enough.

Careful with some of the normalmaps on the concrete, it looks like it might be a little lumpy. Works great on the pipe though, looks like its taken a beating ;)

Considered changing the green to something else? If you're going to do the green overgrowth (I hope you are!) then a different colour that compliments that would be nice instead :)

Go nuts with cables/chains and piping, should be great to play them up in the foreground a bit here and there.

Can't wait to see more :D
  • Jaiza
    Thanks Mate! Appreciate the crits, they all seem achievable and are things I have flowing around in my head :poly142:

Struggling to find enough time to work on this with work and the baby. I wish we had longer!
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jaiza,

If this is planned in your workflow then disregard the injection, but I suggest you take a moment to setup Decals. I say now because it's a very quick thing to setup, with a huge impact and will help you realize your vision earlier.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingDecals.html

From your reference images, the most useful decals are; various stains, water puddle

Stain Example. This one is blood, but could represent anything else.
    http://chrisholden.net/bd1.jpg

Using the same setup, you can add weather, or fake shadows to literally everything, and get a cheap bonus lighting.
    http://chrisholden.net/udk_decal_weather1.jpg

Water Puddle. This example uses a CubeMap, but could use real-time reflections and SAVE you resources under this challenge's rules.
    http://chrisholden.net/udk_decal_cubemap1.jpg

For more info on material examples:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialExamples.html

Decals are extremely powerful, and can add much more than I've shown here. Even damage with paralax depth decal has been used for years now. (See F.E.A.R. released in 2006)
  • Jaiza
    May as well put up my final images here too, I rushed quite a bit with this and had to ditch my final section.

I will keep working on this, its been an awesome challenge and I have learnt SOOOOO much.

Some of the feedback and other entries have been very inspiring!

BEU_Jaiza_FINAL_01.jpg

BEU_Jaiza_FINAL_02.jpg

BEU_Jaiza_FINAL_03.jpg

BEU_Jaiza_FINAL_04.jpg
  • kysterama
    Nice Jai! I know how busy work and life has been for you so congrats on getting your entry in.
    Sorry you didn't get to finish your final section, but the rest looks great. I know what you mean about getting your teeth into UDK. Its been a great experience. :)
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Jaiza, I'm glad you got your final in.

This could work out to be a really nice piece for you with a little more work. I'd focus on getting some of those greens under control and re-investigate the lighting first. I feel they are somewhat one-in-the-same due to the amount of light the green sludge should be emitting. Try to get rid of the solid black shadows.
  • Ben Apuna
    Congrats on getting your scene this far along. It's definitely got a lot of potential to be really awesome. Hopefully you keep working on it when you have the time.