Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ancient beast wip

Hey guys!

Just wanted to make a thread for this beast. I need some feedback :D

I think the highpoly of this guy is pretty much done. Gonna start polypainting soon, havent tried this before, I mean transfer the polypainting to the lowpoly (which will be done pretty soon). Anyone got any neat tutorial or can tell me how to do this?

Im also gonna go in and take away some of the symmetry. Just some minor stuff I think and perhaps some jewelry, clothing or whatever. Im not sure about the clothing though. Any suggestions will do :)

The lowpoly (for the mesh I got now) will land around 4-5000 tris I think, and I will use a 2048 texture (diffuse, normal, spec for now) to begin with.

Hope you like!

v_2_6.jpg

Wire

Ciao!

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome sculpt.

Oddly though, it makes me think of the Priest with the boner from Little Mermaid with those hips....
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    You can transfer vertex color/polypaint with xNormals.

http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe

Will you do some kinda sculpted skin texture?
    I like it! :D
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like a man dressed in weird XXXXXL diving costume because of these folds. Did you work with sketches? The physique is illogical - massive chest and bulging hips will not allow him to bend over, and it don't looks like an underwater creature, so I doubt he'll can to move properly like a bipedal land creature. What is its habitat, in general? I think you need to use some references.
    And where his eyes?
    The sculpt is very well, btw, also I like your zbrash material. Can you provide it please?
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights: Thanks man! Haha, really? The priest? :)

sltrOlsson: Thanks man, that was what I was thinking of using actually.

shotgun: :) ty

polozad: Thanks for the critique, I changed the ribcage area a little bit, now he will be able to bend a little better. But I will keep the skin as it is since that was pretty much what I was trying to achieve :)
    I havent used any references, only a few anatomical ones, since this was just a speedsculpt to begin with and I didnt have any plans with it.
    He doesnt have eyes(might be a pair behind those "eyelids"), and I dont think theres any need of any.

Here's the material Im using. www.ericeneback.com/stuffnstuff/SuperSculp_go.ZMT I didnt create it though, I adjusted it a little bit. Big ups to the guy who made it! (cant remember who it was)

Also made a rough texture, just to get an idea.
    Heres the update anyway. Hope you like!

v_3_1.jpg
    v_3_2.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good eric! keep up the good work this looks quite original! :D
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cap :)

Okay, I think Im done with the highpoly for now, just need to add some more depth in some places like on his back and feet. Im probably gonna add some clothing/armor or something later I think. Dont know if Im gonna get rid of the symmetry, but I probably should.

Its about 4500 tris right now and a 2048 normal map.

So heres a test bake I made and a crappy UV layout which I will redo obviously. Thats not very important atm though. Im gonna polypaint it first I think.

Throw me some feedback or something :)

v_4_1.jpg
    v_4_2.jpg
    v_4_3_test_nrm.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Bake came out great, I love the sliminess this character has. It'd be interesting to see how it moves :P

Nice job overall, can't wait to see how you handle the the texturing :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, real nice bakes! You know you don't need to bake the colors to a texture in order to get them to the LP. The vertex colors can be baked. I thought since you talked about the temporary UV layout. Maybe you already know it? (:
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mike :)

And sltrOlsson, yeah, I knew that. :) Its just that my computer cant handle export the highest level for some reason so I have to project the polypaint on a texture first :( Thanks for the feedback man!

Heres a little update. Reworked the feet a bit and I think I will go for this one instead. Looks way more interesting.

Hope you dig hehe

v_5_1.jpg
    v_5_2.jpg
    v_5_3.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, i see.. Wont solve the polypaint problem, but you can always do a reduce process thingy. I think their is a plugin for Zbrush, but theirs also a freeware called mesh lab that can do.

I've bean using it the last couple of days for my project. It really helps exports and what not. You can easily go from 1 million to 200k and pretty much keep the same detail. Mostly :P

Sorry for cluttering your tread man :D
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very original creature. I like.

I would maybe add the loose skin look to other areas of the model so that the feet don't stand out as much. Either that, or tone the feet down a bit because they stand out more than I think you want a character's feet to stand out.
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson: Thanks man. You mean the decimation master? yeah, that one work really well, although I think it will fuck up the polypaint since it will decrease the polycount. And no worries about cluttering as long as you behave like a troll :)

Barnstable: Yeah man, thanks! I was wondering myself if it got a little too much with the feet, but I think it looks better now.

A small update today. Took away some of the symmetry, its still pretty much the same on both sides though, but theres some minor changes in skin creases and stuff like that. Gonna finish of this HP tomorrow I think and start painting it for real :)

v_6_1.jpg
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, now Im pretty much done with HP and LP. Made a second testbake. Came out way better! :)
    Just took a crappy old maya screengrab.

6134 tris.

Any feedback or critique is welcome! :)

v_7_1.jpg
    v_7_2.jpg
    v_7_3.jpg
    v_7_4.jpg
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the base skin texture. Gonna add some spec breaking dirt/marks/tattoos/paint tomorrow and also make a podium and pose him.

Hope you like :)

v_8_1.jpg
    v_8_2.jpg
    v_8_3.jpg
    v_8_4.jpg
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    I do like! Super solid bake the normals turned out excellent. I really can't wait to see the finished product. I am still trying to get some story context from this character is it menacing or wise because he is ancient. Also I don't see any eyes so I am guessing he goes off of hearing and smell?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    the skin really should look more stretched and transparent, look at old people's hands. He's just too orange and plan overall. I don't really get a sense of muscles and bones.
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot guys! Awesome critique :)

Okay. Some story about this fella. This guy lives in the deep jungle in a fantasy world (which I have to come up with later). This one is some kind of killer/hunter/assassin type and got venomous claws which paralyzes and slowly and painfully kills the prey. He will then bring back his catch to his tribe. There will probably be some kind of breeders aswell. This guy however will not be able to mate or anything like that. This one is made only for killing animals. He also got some serious sense of smell.

He does have eyes, although he doesnt have that great vision and the hearing is pretty much like humans.

Hes maybe not that ancient though, but he can get really old. This one is still pretty young, like a couple of hundred years or something :)

Okay, so how does he survive? How does he eat?
    He "eats" through his little tube-thingy on his back. Attaching some kind of tube from his queen or some kind of plant/tree or something like that.

Have to figure some of this stuff out still :)

v_11_1.jpg
    v_11_2.jpg

Specular
    Normal
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    cool sculpt dude, what shader are you using in zbrush there?
    great texture job, really like the skin tones, is that just the ao baked onto the polypaint? or have you been working it in photoshop?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Really great work Eric!

The one thing that feels lackluster is that nothing really jumps out at me to look at. all of it is of equal detail and color. Id really whiten up the bone bits more so they pop more. The flesh looks amazing, it just needs a bit of work on other parts to make it pop more. Like the bladder on his head, what about making that more shiny but with a wider gloss, and darken and saturate a bit the current colors.

Also they guy is begging for a SSS pass.
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive on 09-10-2010 07:15 AM
    cool sculpt dude, what shader are you using in zbrush there?
    great texture job, really like the skin tones, is that just the ao baked onto the polypaint? or have you been working it in photoshop?
    Thanks alot man :D The AO is baked with xNormal. I painted alot of stuff in Zbrush and then finished it in photoshop.
    Thegodzero on 09-10-2010 09:03 AM

Really great work Eric!

The one thing that feels lackluster is that nothing really jumps out at me to look at. all of it is of equal detail and color. Id really whiten up the bone bits more so they pop more. The flesh looks amazing, it just needs a bit of work on other parts to make it pop more. Like the bladder on his head, what about making that more shiny but with a wider gloss, and darken and saturate a bit the current colors.

Also they guy is begging for a SSS pass.
    Thanks for the feedback man. I tried to make it pop a little better.

Well, this is the final result.

Enjoy!

posed_final.jpg

Wire
    Normal
    Flats
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I kinda missed the updates but I hope it's not too late comment. The texture doesn't do it justice, imo... u miss a lot of opportunity to define his shapes and forms in a more interesting, less uniform way. The coolness is lost when it's all just the same. Organic vs inorganic, soft vs hard tissue, etc. U've got the texture painted very well covering the flesh tones build-up and all the details, but the overall design is very blend compared to how cool and promising the base sculpt was. Just some things to think about for next time :)
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks shotgun. Great feedback! I will visit this guy later this year.

Btw, I wanna change name on this thread to make this my wip thread for all my projects. How do I do this? (kind of a noobish question haha)
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    still curious what shader your using in zbrush there. kinda looks like SSS or something
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go. Not mine, but I made some changes to it to fit me better.

Enjoy :)

www.ericeneback.com/stuffnstuff/SuperSculp_go.ZMT