deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
Starting our thread for this project.

-Challenges
*Get more familiar with UDK and the tools it offers
*Try a unique painterly style that is out of our comfort zones
*Work on story telling with the environment
*Create a nice portfolio piece

To do:
-Finish gathering reference and inspiration images then create a inspiration sheet.
-Finish environment concept sketch
-Block out environment and export into UDK
-Look into creating required special materials and particles.

Replies

• deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found this cool influence map on deviant art! We've kind of turned it into a inspiration/influence/reference map. I saw something similar to this created for Boarderlands in their Sigraph Power Point. I figured we'd give it a whirl and hopefully it will help a bit. All art © to their respective creators and owners.

InfluenceMap.jpg

So We've spent some time looking for references and a theme. What has been decided is a zombie robots attacking a robot world. This world is similar to ours, but instead of humans it's inhabited by robots. We're going to set it in a B-Movie Horror film setting, similar to Mars Attacks, Aliens Vs Monsters, and Stubbs the Zombie.

The Key set pieces will be a neighborhood at night, destroyed gas station and a drive in movie theater.

Our inspiration/influences is in the following order.

Top Right: Planet 51 - we're looking at how they adapted their architecture to the alien theme they went with.

Top Left: Planet 51 - Robot from Planet 51, we're looking into making the citizens have a clean white robotic feel and this will influence how the rest of the environment looks.

Upper Mid Right : Not sure what movie it's from, but we're looking at the night lighting and the clouds in that image.

Upper Mid Left : CG Challenge Short -We're mainly looking at this one for the mood they set up with their short and the color palette.

Mid Right: Salesman Pete- Painting/material style, we're looking into trying something unique with the way we paint the materials.

Mid Left: Portal 2 - Clean robots again.

Lower Right: BUCK! - Hand painted materials again.

Lower Left : Old movie theaters and cars for inspiration.

I've seen some other posts with a similar theme and I'm really excited to see how they all turn out. I personally love old B-movie horror flicks.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've done a bit of planning, and some blocking out. I'm not much of a concept artist, so this is a bit more of a planning drawing.

I'm having a harder time getting ideas for the neighborhood section, so I've decided I'm going to start modeling the drive in theater. I'm not sure about having the ship/destroyed gas station, I'm trying to get some more ideas together for possible things that infected the robots turning them into robot zombies! Hopefully I can get some modeling done this week.

Level_Concept.jpg
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Excellent :D

For the neighbourhood, you might want to have a look at The Incredibles. There are a few sequences that pan to show the neighbourhood they live in. Maybe check out Happy Days and Madmen, too ;)

Can't wait to see you get started with this. Best of luck, guys!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some WIP modeling. I've only had a few hours during lunch to work on it so I'm not sure how far I'll get. I'm going to take it a single segment at a time. This is the drive in theater. The idea is that robots would drive hover like cars and would have recharging stations to part their cars in. The roads would all be metal and of course the screen would hover over the cliff. The right side will have a cornfield that would be behind a robotic fence and the left side will have the entrance to the theater. Hopefully I can have this entire thing modeled out this week and start to unwrap and texture this bit.

Screen01_movieScreen.jpg
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly moving along on this. Only spending an hour a day on this might not be enough, haha. Might have to do some work on it beyond my lunch periods. Here is a small update. I've got a bunch of the larger models about 90% done and I'm going to take a first pass at throwing down some materials.

Car with the parking spot to watch the movies.

Car_Holder.jpg
    Car_Holder2.jpg

Ticket machine robot and a googie inspired roof top.

TicketMachine.jpg

Movie screen that's over looking the cliff with some fences in front.

movietheaterscreen.jpg
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good, keeping an eye on this one :)

T.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    This is pretty awesome. I dig the style for sure.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of a useless update, but an update none the less. :)

WIPFences.jpg

Just started some texturing on the fences and what not. I'm hoping to get some more done this week and start onto the bigger assets. I'm also going to start working on this at home since just working lunch hours isn't really getting me as far as I'd like to be.
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diggin it so far. Keep it up!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update, one piece at a time. Haha. I'm hoping to get a bunch of stuff textured this week and tossed into UDK over the weekend.

WIPTheatreScreen.jpg

Test Card is temp, I'm going to vector out a nice new one. Also the textures are all WIP, going to try and get everything to a certain point then do some final passes.
  • FishnChips65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking awesome so far!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This really is beautiful :)

hope to see it finished!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks really nice :D
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    liking these models a lot. i hope you guys finish i wanna see a whole level!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update, I'm going to try and get all of the models wrapped up tonight. I don't think it'll be finished in time though, we've been crunching at work this week so there isn't a lot of at home time.

Here is a full screen with one of the tileable textures just slapped on there. I still need to finish the moon and some cloud, the movie theater sign, and some rocks and stuff to place around. Terrain will be done in udk, this is just placeholder to get a general Idea of the layout

FullSceneWIP.jpg

A simple texture pass on the car and the cars holder spaces.

Carwithholder.jpg