Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP | adam & Virtuosic

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Well, I'm in.

I've called this part of my beat-em-up environment the Tokyo Overgrow. I found these concepts from TokyoGenso that I fell in love with, and would like to take an attempt on the idea. His concepts will be reference only, I am not mimicking any of these in particular.

From there, since there is a lot to something like this - and this is something I've wanted to do for a while - I am going to attempt some execution methods used for Mirror's Edge visual style: Relying heavily on the normal and spec information where the diffuse is insanely simple. As in solid colours mixed with grey tones for grunge/dirt.

I've already begun mocking up the overall layout, which I will post when its finished. I want it to start off in a typical beat-em-up environment, a train station, and have it lead in to a water treatment facility that tells the overall story of the environment: Where the overgrowth came from.

TLDR:
  • a 'faux Tokyo' city, overgrown in vivid plant life but devoid of life
    • Unlike 'I am Legend', it won't be just grass and weeds. But flowers and other colourful plants are growing. For instance, there might be a tomoto plant growing in the train yard.
  • Mirror's Edge approach to visual style, and dissecting how they achieved it.
  • Inspiration from Tokyogenso & Mirror's Edge
  • Utilize a visual style that can make a solo-project achievable in an 8 week time frame.

Until the layout concept is done, here's my reference sheet:
beu_references.jpg

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Great reference selection, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I've seen those concepts a few weeks ago and they are great! Very inspirational. I think in a couple of years, in games, overgrown will be the new post-apocalyptic.

Btw, your reference sheet isn't loading for me.

Good luck Adam.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds beautiful. I love ME's visual style and I love mossy stuff. Be sure to have a little water trickling here and there... I wonder what sort of beating would go on in such a level? Carnivorous plants and apocalypse ninjas? Attack of the killer tomatoes?

Look forward to seeing more.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Worst thread on the internet! And why doesn't this thread have 9 pages already?

Best of luck, dude. I'm sure you'll ace the shit out of this.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    aw shit the big mans joined in!
    this compition just hit the mutherfuckin roof!

really good idea going for overgrown tokyo, i've always found influence in urban abandon environments in "i am legend"
  • Badan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be spectacular with spacious places.

Which engine?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be careful with which plants you choose to grow around the place, tomatoes need a lot of water and a lot of feed to grow - artistic license will only get you so far :D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Magic seeds need no explanation!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Can't wait to see what you come up with. I love all of those concepts of Tokyo Genso - this mixed with Mirror's Edge visual style ... o man is it done yet ? :)
  • blendroid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    More inspiration for you adam -

Haha, that movie was so... bleh. But it had fantastic art. It reminded me a lot of Elemental Gimmick Gear, a Dreamcast RPG which would also be a nice source of inspiration.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    With tokyogenso and Mirror's Edge being practically on opposite ends of the spectrum, I'm really curious to see how you marry the two. Should be an educational thread indeed. :D
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    nice! cool to see you join this contest! try to not rig the votes ;P
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I wasn't going to show this until I am done - and I still might not post again until this part is done - but I am going away for 5 days and want to update this slightly.

The idea is to show 3 horizontal cells: The overall layout/plan, small planning concept/mock-up where I can get a list of assets from and plan my resources properly, and the final one being the 2nd cell + the overgrowth.

Here's where I am so far. The first area is somewhat 'done', the second area I started lastnight and isn't really meant to be seen, and the third is not done or started.

beu_mockup.jpg

Once I'm done with this horizontal cell I will copy the entire thing, place it in its own horizontal cell, and cover it with overgrowth.

The key thing with this environment - which isn't visible in my plan mock-up - is the visual style.

The above image is purely a tool for myself for planning. For instance, I now know I will need 1 or 2 pillar types, 2 ground materials, a wall material, an escalator, and so on.

:)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome doodle :D
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Adam, really interesting theme and i'm excited to see where you take this as well.

The first area is really nicely laid out, however I don't think the transition from the subway to the industrial lot is convincing enough. I think possibly taking an escalator or stairs up from the subway to a street level might be interesting. Would be a lot of fun to knock people off the escalators or tossing them down the stairs!

Really nice work so far, should be a very exciting project.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Will - Glad you're digging it. We'll see on the transition - a lot of beat-em-ups have rather tacky transitions between environments and I sort of wanted to keep up with that.
  • Kaneth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is similar to what I'm aiming for but you've been far more brave than me, I am keeping organics to a minimum!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    adam wrote: »
    Will - Glad you're digging it. We'll see on the transition - a lot of beat-em-ups have rather tacky transitions between environments and I sort of wanted to keep up with that.

Right on!

You should then do a totally awesome haggar jump kick through the fence!

haggar3.PNG
  • legendatwork05
    I'm really digging what you have so far. I'm anxious to see how you incorporate the overgrowth. Definitely going to keep a close eye on this entry. :polytwitch:
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going to be incredible. Watching eagerly!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a cool concept. The thing that I'm the most interested in is seeing how you will take the clean Mirrors Edge style and apply to a scene that would have more grit to it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If you go back and really look at Mirror's Edge, the city it takes place in is not a clean place. It's damaged, dirty, worn..
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    If you need a hand with the signs or ref for the subway etc, please just shout here. Don't do a "heroes" - that was just embarrassing.
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremy price polycounter lvl 18
    great idea Adam, really cool concepts.
  • snakeeaterjns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool references and concepts. Good Luck!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Teaming up with Virtuosic on this bitch.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    boooo... hissss... boooooo!!!!!!!!!

YOU GOING DOWN RYAN AND ADAM!!!!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Jay, what did you say? I couldn't hear you over the sound of you and Arman shitting your pants.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    O snap...can't wait to see what happens now.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Boo! Too much skills in a single team, this is unfair!!!

Haha, good luck on the project guys.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    That's ok, I declared adam disqualified from entering, because he's an admin, HA!

Let's see some assets!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Small update to the planning layout. Once the asset list if made from this we'll see which assets we kill.

beu_mockup2.jpg
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with some material setups and lighting.

Right now we are kind of going for a Mirror's Edge look. ME did a great job at making photo-realistic materials, and that's something we have to try and mimic. Another thing we are aiming for is a saturated color scheme. That is what gave ME it's indistinguishable style, other than photorealism, they had over-saturated colors and some pretty awesome bounce lighting.

The shader i'm working on now is our Concrete Master, and it has some cool functionality. It employs an optional tint mask that represents any painted parts on the concrete, and then changes several parameters to make the paint seem as realistic as possible. This includes adding a subtle reflection, higher specular power, and the spec map will even inherit some of the paints color. The only thing that doesn't change is the normals.

Another thing I've done is turn off the shitty SSAO... Lightmass has some pretty nice AO options that can be baked right into the light maps, as seen below.

Here's some BSP tests. Very WIP still

onA6F.jpg

cA6z0.jpg

TK5Ll.jpg

cheers.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Nice looking tests virtuosic, love the ME style (haven't seen so many people succeed at reproducing it so well, but I'm sure it won't be a prob for you guys).
    How are you working that tint mask exactly? To get the little paint irregularities on the transition lines?
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    wow, this is going to look amazing. I always like the work that you guys produce and mirrors edge is one of my favorite games.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You two teaming up, what a coup!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm really excited for this combo of artists.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Bal wrote: »
    How are you working that tint mask exactly? To get the little paint irregularities on the transition lines?

Not sure if this is how he is doing it but I have done stuff like this in the past with LERPs and using the RGBA channels for different masks since the masks are just black and white you can use a full texture for up to 4 different masks saving a little bit of texture memory here and there.

By painting the wear and tear into the mask itself when its overlayed with the LERP and the color is either added or multiplied over you get this effect.

You can use a Vector Param that can be set up so that you can tweak the color easily and make many variants and if you were to say have 4 different masks for the walls all in the same texture you could create a ton of different looking pieces that would also be able to use different colors.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Nice, I can't wait to see more!!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually that's just textured in.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    show me your titties!!!!!

Looking good so far Ryan keep it up cant wait to see what you make for this entry :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Cool! Really digging it Adam.

If I were to offer my two cents, I think the all the plant growth is a little to uniform. Especially at the end where its just spread evenly across the whole room. I think it would be better with more interesting clumps of growth.

Also I love the foreground electric pole, If you can incorporate a few more foreground elements I think that would be dynamite.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Cool :) This is just something I drew so I could get an idea for the layout, to derive an asset list from. Things like the overgrowth and how it spreads will be tackled during development.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    cant wait to see those vines!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    One thing I hate about collaborations is describing to others what element of the collaboration I worked on. Quite frankly, it's a pain in the ass. I proposed to Ryan that we split the work load based on entire sections of our layout rather than mix and match.

Consider this one of our challenges.

Its easier to mesh personal styles together and turn out something cohesive than it is to have entire different areas created by one person each and hope they gel. This is our challenge. Ryan will be taking on the train platform, I will be tackling the industrial area, and together we'll figure out how to split out the rest of the workload.

With a very distinct visual style on our hands, it is important that we work with similar techniques. So while I was pressing on with the layout concept and asset list Ryan was busting ass on techniques we'll both use to ensure our results are similar.

For now, here is the asset list and overall execution plan. Ryan will pimp the visual style guide he has when its ready - and so far it looks fucking awesome.

TOKYO OVERGROW ASSET LIST

Train platform (Ryan)
    1. wall set
    2. train platform set
    3. train track set
    4. track terrain set
    5. floor set
    6. train station signage (exit, north/west, etc)
    7. yellow caution trim, set
    8. pillar set
    9. public seating
    10. pillar set, base
    11. pillar top (arch)
    12. advertisement set
    13. escalator set
    14. girder set
    15. ventilation set

Industrial Zone (Adam)
    1. building wall set
    2. broken window set
    3. rolling door
    4. loading bay set
    5. sidewalk & road set
    6. grass/terrain set
    7. street signs
    8. tires
    9. cinder block & lumber set
    10. signage set
    11. building door
    12. building signage
    13. wall lamps
    14. street posts

Defunct Water Facility
    (Combined? We'll figure this out as we get to it.)

1. wall set
    2. doors
    3. platform set
    4. railing set
    5. security camera
    6. exit stairs
    7. faked control room interior
    8. faked control room glass
    9. drainage pipes
    10. drainage water
    11. vegetox drums
    12. water, toxic

Global (Make 'em as we need 'em)
    1. ivy, overgrowth,
    2. weeds set
    3. trash cans
    4. trash
    5. wires
    6. chain link fence set
    7. bicycles
    8. foreground elements (street post, etc)

Effects & Lighting (Make 'em as we need 'em)
    1. Lighting (TBD)
    2. water, FX
    3. sparks, FX
    4. blowing dust, FX
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on block out of subway. Sooner or later i'll get to making a small demo of the overgrowth shader.

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS.
    ryan-9-14_1.jpg

cheers
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looking like it could be awesome.