Home Technical Talk

Maya alternative bevel.

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
Anyone know of any scripts/plugins out there that offer a better bevel tool that the standard one, which just plane sucks. Id really love to see one that doesn't create extra edges along the intersections and works across multiple edges without leaving ngons. Chamfer vertex is just as bad, which i normally use for creating holes, instead of extruding along the edges, it seems to use the bordering edges which give inconsistent results.

Also, anyone know why the 'viewport 2.0' doesn't work on my ATI HD5970?

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I haven't used it in a long time, but byron's bevel was a good option. Found it again here :

http://wiki.byronimo.de/pmwiki.php/Projects/BPTdetails

I haven't tested it out, so your milage may vary.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that, from the video that solid chamfer is exactly what i want.

Edit: Can't get it to work in the 2011 trial.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Since we're talking about the bevel tool, is there a a script/tool to create square bevels like max where you want to make edges loops for a smooth model. Maya always curves their bevel, I believe in max you can bevel a corner of a cube and keep it square.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like that Byron guy has what I want, some great tools in there. Hmmm, these tools are very unstable in maya 201064, crashes for me all the time.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah that solid chamfer is also the tool i want.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    can you reproduce crashes and give detailled informations and stuff? he is my flatmate and possibly he can find the time to fix some stuff, but its unbelievable that there still is no bevel in maya, i mean he initially wrote those tools for maya 8.5 or something :O
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    There is a Bevel, just no Solid Chamfer - does Max have Solid Chamfer out of the box ?

My personal theory is that, if BPT had been more open years earlier ( like all the similar tools for Max were ), things might be looking different by now.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yep edge extrude without height but width, width defines the sharpness, height of 0 means the initial edge won't move
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    himadri_sm wrote: »
    i downloaded the byron's poly tools but i have trouble understanding the installation process.can anyone explain to me how to install & use them?

Just create a folder name BPT and place it somewhere memorable. Extract the contents of the .rar to the folder you just created. Copy the .moduale file from the folder into your maya moduals folder (normally were maya is installed, otherwise do a search for the folder,) edit the moduale file with a text editor and change the first line to the path where the BPT folder is, i.e c\BPT. Save then boot up maya, you can either load it through the plugins menu or copy the mel code from the readme thats supplied and contains the same info that i worte here. :D
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the solid chamfer tool is awesome, I don't know why maya's stupid bevel does not have that functionality. I'll let you know if I can consistently get it to crash but it seems quite random.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Did you get it to work in the end Ark? I think last time I used it was back on Maya 6 or 7.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may try some of these tools out...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Neox wrote: »
    he initially wrote those tools for maya 8.5 or something :O

Actually it was Maya 4.5 I think. Originally BPT cost like $20 or something, and afaik their was never a non-encrypted version released so its functions never ended up in other scripts or part of Mayas core toolset.

I think rebb is right about this, I've noticed that AD tends to convert and integrate alot of functions from scripts that are open. Probably the reason they didn't integrate a vert+edge connection until Maya 2011, a function of MJPolytools released in 2003, was because it was a pain in the ass to figure out (procs referring to other procs that reference other procs on and on endlessly). If I wanted to act like a conspiracy theorist I'd say it's cause in 09 I wrote a script that did the same thing in about 500 lines and gave copies to a few buds at different game companies :p , but who knows.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Did you get it to work in the end Ark? I think last time I used it was back on Maya 6 or 7.

Nope, i can get the plugins loaded and the menus show, but none of the tools work, just gives a error message.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've been using these scripts for a couple days on maya 2010 x64 not sure how they perform on any other system.

1. Turning off autoswitch component masks seems to fix a lot of my crashes I think?

2. Using undo after doing a solid chamfer is almost always going to crash, if not during the undo then as soon as you do anything else to the object.

3. The chamfer tool is an always crash, not even sure what that tool does.

4. Wow, the solid chamfer and smart connect both work on multiple edge loop and ring selections, maya does not natively support this so you have to do each edge ring/loop one at a time if you use maya split loop or offset loop. Super lame, I wish these tools were integrated directly into maya.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    The lack of good bevel and inset tools really makes Maya a pain to model in. I miss max. Hell I may just supplement Maya with Silo at least the poly tools work.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Probably the reason they didn't integrate a vert+edge connection until Maya 2011, a function of MJPolytools released in 2003, was because it was a pain in the ass to figure out (procs referring to other procs that reference other procs on and on endlessly).

good sir, are you trying to imply that maya has had a 'connect' tool AKA the thing i can't live without added to it's toolset recently? that would be amazing! unless, of course it's about as slow and unpredictable as that MJPolytools thingie. :)

i tried BPT briefly in maya 2009/10 32 bits a while ago and it crashed left, right and center. probably just too many changes in maya over the years. BPT would likely be ubiquitous by now if it hadn't started as a commercial product tied to a few windows releases at the time - and then gone hiding for years and years.
    i remember pestering the guy over that.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah they added a connect tool in one of the recent versions. Still pretty useless as it's limited to one segment and theres no built in slide/pinch like max.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The connect tool was added in maya 2011 but there have been scripts floating around for a while that do the same thing. The connect tool in maya 2011 allows you to connect through edges and verts at the same time I'm guessing that's the same as max? I'm still using the solid chamfer from Byron it basically makes mechanical sub-d modeling usable in maya.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Connect in Maya 2011 is pretty much the same as Connect in Max, ie. it works on verts/edges/faces simultaneously (context sensitive), although as Ark says I don't think it can do a "multi connect" through edges/faces (eg. add 3 edge loops).
    Then again I never really used that "multi" functionality of Connect in Max, so I don't really miss it.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    thanks guys, sounds reassuring! i'll have a look at this ASAP. someone at the maya team must have finally heard about this 'mirai' app and started adding things bit by bit. only took them a decade or more. ;)