Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Rogue One

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
New guy here! Long-time spectator and admirer of the huge talent on display here although very daunting and intimidating! Never the less you got to start somewhere, right? So it’s about time I jump on the polycount bus and hopefully make some friends and learn a thing or two while at it :)

Brief bit about me, I am an aspiring games artist from Scotland who is now living in Vancouver and looking to land his first job/internship early next year. I am currently building my folio that will hopefully help me achieve my goal.

My chosen concepts are as shown below along with self-assigned goals of what I would like to achieve. This folio should help me get my foot in the door with my first job/internship in a 3D Artist role.

I do have a concern that they are all character based pieces I have chosen to work ( that’s what I enjoy the most) and I’ve heard it very unlikely to get a entry job as a character artist. Truth is I would happy to do anything Environments, Props, Weapons any to do with the creation of 3D assets. My thinking is this, if have these four polished assets in my folio then I can show a potential employer my ability to recreate concept art well and that although the techniques vary depending on what you are modeling the basic skill set is the same and can be transferable. Is this a bad approach?

wipu.jpg

I have set myself deadline of the end of the year and have created this thread in hope to gain feedback on all aspects of the process of creating a portfolio.

Any feedback is great and am not afraid of strong crits in fact I fully welcome and really appreciate the time taken to give them :poly136:

p.s Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this thread, if so feel free to move it :P

Replies

• Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    I also had the worry that doing other people concepts would not look to good for an employer so I have decided to to make my own creature. I am no 2D artist by any means but I feel its important to show that you can be creative and communicate concepts quickly in 2D.

So here is my WIP so far, Speed sculpt in Mudbox till I got something that I liked 1-2 hrs then into Photoshop and used my hacker 2D skills to get a side view. which am going to use to block out a basic mesh in which to build my front view on.

Hope you like :\

sideview3.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick base mesh which I will refine in Mudbox till I am happy with proportion and I will the mesh ready for sculpting :poly136:

beastbasemesh.jpg
  • wake
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    It's an interesting looking concept-- I especially like torso/leg the proportions-- but the problem right now is that he'll immediately fall over. Arch that back some more and shift his weight back.

Also, you set some great proportions with the legs and torso, and then you have just regular old arms. Change it up. I want to see some concepts with massive arms, and some concepts with t-rex arms. Flesh it out more before you can into modeling.
  • wi_2
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    looking awesome!!

that guy needs something to keep him from looking like he is about to fall over though imo.. but I very much like the face!
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 - Thanks, I agree it was my reference image it was from a horse rearing up I like the pose but for the energy it had but I know he could not stand like that.

wake - Cheers for the crits, I have adjusted his weight and chopped of the arms for the time being but dontworry he will have a bad ass set of guns when I am finished with him.

My main concern now is how he would walk/run I want him to give the impression of warrior/hunter I picture him being very primal when attacking. I really did intend to go down the centaur route but It seem like a obvious solution to how he would move.

Ideally I would like to find a way to get him to work as a biped. Any ideas.

Heres the update with changes to his weighting.

cetuarmabey.jpg
  • wake
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Say NO to centaurs! They're boring! And overdone!

There's a more interesting concept hiding in there, I know it. Work with those feet baby, and I wanna see some thumbnails. If you do end up rolling with the 'centaur' concept, take that to mean only that it has an extra set of limbs, not that the lower half is that of a horse. What if he has a 2nd set of arms which he actually uses to help him run, like a gorilla? Or what if he has a set of massive frog-like legs that he uses to bound for any kind of speed or distance travel but which fold up when he's just waddling around? Or what you kept the posture from the first side profile and gave him crazy long arms that reach the ground and then some? What if there's something about this guy that means he doesn't even need to move faster than a waddle?

*you must widen your gaze Mr. Holmes*

good luck.

also, tomorrow when I'm not tired I may fuckle around with some paint-overs.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Its funny that you mention the gorilla idea as it something I mocked up in Photoshop. I agree that there is a more interesting concept hiding in there just finding a way to bring it out while allowing him to walk.

I had an idea, I was thinking what runs fast on two legs.....Velociraptor! So I made a mock up using a concept I found online. Here what I have come up with.

velociraptorbeastrunner.jpg

I feel it will look better running than the old concept which I could only imagine would be something like this :P

horsebipedcopy1.gif

Let me know what you think and thanks again for the crits wake!

Cheers!
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, I am still a little unsure as to how he would run so I posed him in Zbrush to get a better idea and I think it looks OK but would be interested to hear what others think?

runningpose.gif
  • imyj
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Hello Rogue One sir, I am familiar with your work.

I really like the head but the legs seem a bit on the short side. Maybe look at more references such as centaurs/horses? It's just the proportions look a bit off to me. Look forward to seeing how it turns out. Hopefully wake does a nice paintover, that would be good too!

Hope you're well bruv.

Liam
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit tired so just so not much to say :P

turnbeast.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • wake
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    hey Rogue. I think you're getting too caught up on fleshing out details before you have a basic concept laid down. Also, you're extrapolating too directly from your source material-- try abstracting the concept a little more. Also, there's nothing really original about this piece. Right now it just looks like a cyberdemon without the horns or rocket launcher, or a Trow from the Myth games.

Don't get me wrong, you've got a good start, but first things first-- what kind of creature is this? You're insistent on it being something fast, yet all of the form language that you're using indicates more of a lumbering hulk, i.e. the scale (the head size indicates this beasty is at least 2-3x the size of a man), how musclebound the entire body is, and the hooves as only a pair and not a set of 4. Because hooves lack moving, articulated surfaces, in order to balance well the creature needs to be tripedal or quadrupedal. Even with a great big tail this guy is at best just going to lumber along.

What you need to do is set your priorities, and then go from there. What are the most important aspects of this concept? That he's fast? That he's bipedal? The hooves? The overall muscled proportions? Once you have the general concept nailed down go crazy with the thumbnails, and stop trying to concept an idea in 3d, trust me. Coming up with something interesting/original is hard enough just using silhouettes, not to mention having to wrap your head around the details and actually building it as well.

Here, I've attached some quick thumbs that I've done to help illustrate what I'm saying. Once you more specifically know what you want to do with the concept then you can start modeling and feeling your way through what looks better.

roguesheet.jpg

hope this helps.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey wake thanks for the awesome feedback noticed you been help out on other threads which is nice to see. I need to get more involved elsewhere in the forum. I took on board about what u said with him being rather boring and tried to do some zbrush/photoshop variations.

Hope this is a bit more interesting. Love to hear which one you like 1,2 or 3?

Thanks again mate :)

thumbnailsdark.jpg
  • Rogue One
  • wake
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Well, I'm not going to pick for you :D but here's what i think:

#1 seems the most bestial-- the frontal profile of the legs and chest are very equine in appearance. That and the arch of his back and the angle of his rear legs makes me think that he would be able to raise up on the hind legs. Not that it's essential one way or another, that's just how it comes across.

#2 looks like he's would run like a gorilla, barreling toward an enemy with those great big forearms and building up tremendous momentum.

#3 is the colossal beast that towers over people, crushing them to death or beating them aside with his massive frontal appendages. Both he and #2 look like they could do some serious damage in combat, just in different ways-- where #2 charges through, #3 strikes quickly or sets an ambush and just swings and stabs with those massive leg-clubs.

Anyway, I'd pick one and try doing a couple more iterations of it and then if you're happy with it start figuring out the details. If you're outside your comfort zone, that's good, as that means you're starting to push into areas that you haven't before, or which aren't just amalgamations of various popular designs floating around in your subconscious.

good luck man, can't wait to see the next post.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    I was most interested with concept 2 so I did a few iterations like you mention and this is what I have come up with. I do feel a bit out of my comfort zone and have ended up going far away from my initial idea I had for him so I am curious to how he will turn out!

thumbnailsdevlopment.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some changes to the post above and I think I am just going to start sculpting this stage is already taking longer than I wanted/planned :P

viewsr.jpg

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    WAY TOO BUSY, just cause you can give a creature 10 arms/legs, doesn't mean you should.

Think anatomically and logically. He doesn't have any arms to pick up stuff or attack with.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey JacD, I agree he is a bit to busy but I would rather try and go over and cut back. I also know that the design will be broken up with different materials. I am not too worried about how functional the design is as this piece is a just being used to practice my workflow and not so much my design skills.

84125414.jpg
  • woody_294
    Dude! Been reading through and I really thought you were gonna go with the lightweight option like a velociman or something. That guy worries me because he's a brute but not like the scared because he could come from anywhere raptor type. Still like him though good work :)
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    OK , I really felt that this was heading in the wrong direction from what I had in my head and wanted to go back to my initial idea, here what I have come up with! Crits are more than welcome!

reversetl.jpg

• Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again just a quick update made some changes to his proportions. I downloaded some ref images to help me with the anatomy which will be hyper real esk. After that I will move onto the armour/clothing and weapons.I am thinking of either crossbow or a mean looking staff.

I am also looking to give him some bright colour scheme :P

updatered.jpg
  • lampekap
    looking good, but it seems like hes gonna fall over anymoement
    keep up the awesome work
  • Mark Dygert
    Really cool stuff I really like what you have going, keep up it flowing! =)
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouragement guys really nice to hear it :) Not done any more wanted to take some time to do some research on get a better idea of what I am going for. I made a mood board which has helped. I will be getting stuck-in and hopefully have a an update soon.

Wish me luck!

moodboard.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again,

been a little busy but had some time today to do some more - changed the mesh from z-spheres with a Scott Spencer base mesh then tweaked after that I blocked out his accessories and have done a few variations. This one I like but I will probably try a couple more before going on to detail him.

As always crits welcome!Cheers,

Murray.

updatedj.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

wanted to do something a bit different and sleep on the hunter dude for a bit so I went and work on Chuck for a while and would like to share my progress and hear what you all think.

This is not my concept just so you know.

chuckmateraj.jpg

viewsi.jpg

Now I am of to play the new TF2 UPDATE! woot
  • DarkStar
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey DarkStar I know its a nice concept but unfortunately its not mine just the model is my work.

Small texture update

textureblockin.jpg

I know the colour looks off but its mainly due to the Matcap I am using.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Less forehead, bigger wrists/forearms, rounder body, bigger hair/head thing, smaller nips.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits ZacD here are the changes. Cheers

crits.jpg
  • imyj
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Hey this is looking good. It's nice to see it evolving. I look forward to seeing the character at the top of the page evolve. I'll check back in a week and hopefully see some sculpting going on! Maybe it will even be finished?

Nice!
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again

Been away for a bit but still working away. Hit a bit of a rut with last project when it come to back hardsurface normal maps. So I am in the process of working out a solid reliable workflow for myself which once I have my results I will be looking to share them here.

First thing here is a underwater pump the low ply is sitting at 3200 tris and the Fire hydrant is going to be the assets I am using for my test with baking normal maps. It is sitting at 900 tirs.

pumppresentation.jpg

firepresentation.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Started this last nite. Still W.I.P - Could not resist doing a dirty projection :P

wipbrinkheadcopy.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. Crits are welcome ! :)

brinkviews.jpg
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    The mohawk dude looks amazing! Is the concept by you or someone else? I think you captured the character quite nicely. He just needs the tag in the ear!
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mospheric. The concept is not mine its from a game called BRINK.

I manged to do more work on this guy and would love to here any crits before I go into the secondary forms.

updatez.jpg
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    Nice to see your new stuff been awhile since I seen anything from you. I was at Abertay if your wondering. Think ill start a sketchbook on here in a day or so and post some of the stuff Ive been working on.

But get that creature textured looks like it could be an awesome folio piece if given some texture loving. As for details get a weapon made for it and do some sort of beads and junk in what Iam guessing are dreads or something.

Props for trying that brink concept the style is so nice
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Craig nice to hear from you. Yeah I been working on make a folio that will hopefully land me a job need to start finishing things off soon otherwise it will never happen!

Yeah the dude up for the top need load of love but dont worry he will be getting the once over soon enough. Looking forward to seeing that sketchbook when u get it up :)

Went on and did some more worth to this guy. I am happy with the overall forms as is but speak up if you think anything looks off. I know the ye brow need to hang lover but as this is going to be made to a game res mesh that will support animation I want to pull it down once its rigged.

update2l.jpg

wiresc.jpg
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking pretty spot on to the concept think you need to give him that gritty haggered look that the concept has though or leave that to the texture. Ill get onto my sketchbook on here soon been learning some UDK shaders so that I can give my next idea some cool features.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah going to texturing the skin detail later am trying to do four heads and get them to use the same animation data so I want the topology to be roughly the same for each head if not identical so didn't want to do any detail till i got that sorted.

So I started on the other heads will have the fourth blocking soon.

brinkheads.jpg

All based from SD concept art
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    use topogun its really good for quickly redoing the topology of your heads and you can probably make them fairly similar in that program if not exactly the same edge flows ect
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I use topogun it has some great features. These are all made from the same base mesh already what I was saying is that it may not be the best one :)
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    post wires of the base mesh that your using get crits :D How you going to approach a swapable rig for these heads. Bones or what?
  • Wilbert Pierce
    Im really enjoying your work. Especially the centuar-esqu design.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    I found this great concept and thought I would try and make him with the purpose to be a low poly game res for my folio. The concept is not mine as it is by Marcio Castro and more of his work can been seen here

So here is what I have so far.

crits1.png

crits2.png

I would love some crits on this guy as I am just unsure about a few things.

1. First one is the side profile. Do you think I looks correct or appealing? I had to make this up as I only have the 3/4 view to go on.

2. I know my collar does not look the same. The concept shows what I think is a bevel but I am just unsure I had made it straight and I guess boring as I can really understand whats really going on. Help with this would be great.

3. The shell part in which his arm go through seems to overlap the collar but as they both look solid I didn't see this being something I should try and make look functional in 3d so I made it flush with the collar. This imo make it look less interesting but still hold the overall shape and will use less geometry overall.

4. The legs. I dont think they would work. So I modified them a bit and plan on painting the weights near the top of the legs to zero so they would not deform. I think he would use his jet pack as his main mode of transport not walking.

But I do wonder if that the best choice so would LOVE to hear what you think.

I am thankful for any feedback given!! Cheers.
  • Rogue One
    Offline / Send Message
    Love to hear your thoughts on the update

Thanks again for the feedback guys Its really appreciated!!!!!!!!!

views.png

comparevp.png
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    WOW, Some really great stuff here. It is good to see you try your hand at a few props as well as characters. It is also great to see you do some of your own characters, and not just re-create other peoples ideas. I am a big fan of the BRINK head sculpt. You really nailed the style. I dig the "Chuck" character and I love the new space slug guy. I am keen to see him with some textures.

I think you are really capturing the vibe of this character which for me is one of the most important things when I look at characters. However if you feel like he is not looking right then you can always overlay a screenshot of your mesh over the concept and see where the proportions differ. It is always hard to re-create a styelised character from a sketch. I made a quick paint over for you. You can take it or leave it, I think you are doing a great job.

paintover.jpg
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one murray!

You should bridge that circle on his waist though probably not neceasy at the moment but they bug the hell out of me.
  • imyj
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Lookin good dudes. I want moar updates though! Which part are you working on now?
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Looking better. I don't agree on Duncan's assesment of the top of the head, but everything else could be worked. I also think that the chest is a positive extraction not a negative one, but beyond that, just keep having fun.