Home Technical Talk

Modo export vertex colors for xnormal?

I want to bake in my colors in xnormal when baking my maps, and i read it has to be a vertex map from modo? anyone know how to export this vertex map? i found out how to create one today, but i have no idea how i export this so x normal can view it for the high res mesh and bake it?

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried saving your mesh as FBX, COLLADA or ASE (see ASE instructions here)? Those formats should support vertex colors.

EDIT:

Just did a test (since I never did this before :poly136:)

FBX - Appeared to import fine into xNormal however attempting to bake to a low poly FBX gave a error saying there were no Texture UV coordinates. Baking with high poly FBX and low poly of some other format seemed to generate errors due to a scale mismatch, so I can't really say if the vertex colors are importing properly or not.

COLLADA - Imported fine into xNormal. Vertex colors baked good too. Yay! :)

ASE - Seemed to import fine into xNormal. Attempting to bake vertex colors generated an error with the low poly ASE, not sure it it's a problem with the ASE or xNormal. Baking with the high poly ASE and a low poly of some other type had similar issues as FBX.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry to bump this old thread but I've been trying to do the same thing with no luck. I tried Collada with basic material colours and a rgba vert map and made sure I had unticked ignore vertex colours but still get the red colour on my base texture base. Any chance I could have a go with your test assets so I can compare to mine?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just did a simple test with Modo 501sp2 and xNormal 3.17.5.41306 x86.

Save high poly with vertex colors RGB or RGBA map (I tested both ways) as COLLADA DAE.

Save low poly as COLLADA DAE as well, to make sure everything matches up scale wise.

I'm not sure what you mean by "basic material colours", Try baking only the vertex color map without any other maps at the same time maybe that will help.

I can upload a file later if you really want it, though it's just a simple test case.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks. I'll follow the instructions when I get home and let you know how I get on :D

By basic material colours, I just meant the colour assigned to a material, the same way as when you set it up. Anway, I'll try later. Thanks again!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i did when doing this in XN is:
    create a map with all of your colors
    do a dirty planar uv of your high, and scale it all down, put the proper uv bits in the proper color on your texture
    load diffuse with high
    bake

This is pretty annoying and there might be a better way to do it now, but it works.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, no luck with the DAE but EQs idea worked a treat!