Home General Discussion

How to hire an artist.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
http://kaitol.com/how-to-hire-an-artist/

Read this and prepare to vomit. I hope this guy goes out of business unless he is being ironic in some way.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    it seems to be all over Deviant Art, Facebook, Twitter and many of the sites that he games are published on.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    JO420 wrote: »
    http://kaitol.com/how-to-hire-an-artist/

Read this and prepare to vomit. I hope this guy goes out of business unless he is being ironic in some way.

Back when I was doing design work I ran into countless of people that ran small business' and thought and acted exactly like this douche. Karma is a bitch however and these weak business practices almost always guarantees that they turn out a shit product and don't stay in business for long.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    wooooooow.... He should have a date with a crowbar.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, at least he wasn't giving pointers on conning people into spec work. As is he's just a cheapskate with a head for business.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, psychopathic behaviour is a good attribute for successful business.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Back when I was doing design work I ran into countless of people that ran small business' and thought and acted exactly like this douche. Karma is a bitch however and these weak business practices almost always guarantees that they turn out a shit product and don't stay in business for long.

Sadly so have i.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How to find an artist:

I recommend looking through art sites such as Deviantart for an artist which suits your taste...
    And that's where he lost all credibility and I stopped reading.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    And that's where he lost all credibility and I stopped reading.

Then you missed this gem..
    Keep them in the dark:
    This relates back to what I talked about earlier. If an artist knows how much their artwork will increase the value of the game they will then feel they deserve that amount of money. This is not how a market economy works, you hire whoever is able to do the best job for the lowest amount of money, anything else is a loss of money on your end.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    wow, I wonder how much good artists will this guy be able to hire with that mindset.. its just sad for this industry to see people like him not promoting quality and hardwork.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    this guy is FULL of advice concerning games...did anyone actually find a link to anything he has produced?

I wonder if it is this guy.. http://xdragonx10.newgrounds.com/news/post/379864

being 16 would explain alot
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Dunno if it was there before, but now he tries to 'explain' his article. To his credit he kept the original version, on the other hand, he is still a complete douchbag.
  • [Deleted User]
    I recommend looking through art sites such as Deviantart for an artist which suits your taste, or any other site that has a decent art community such as Newgrounds. There’s a few reasons you want to find an artist this way. First of all, they’re cheaper... Second of all, they’re better.

this guy'll go far
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaskad wrote: »
    this guy'll go far

Yup, until he hit the bottom of the cliff someone pushed him over, and then takes a picture and publish it as art called "Rock douch in red".
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry I'm not jumping on the villagers-with-pitchforks bandwagon, but I don't entirely see what all the fuss is about.

There's really nothing unreasonable in that article. He's not suggesting anyone rip off an artist by not paying them. Maybe his tone is not entirely professional, but there's a lot of either no-brainer stuff in there, or things we all know. This guy is offering his experience hiring artists for (probably crappy) flash games. He's offering suggestions for finding the cheapest work. Which is, by the way, a pretty common practice in business. As long as his advice is approached with integrity, there's nothing terrible about what he says in this article.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Slum on this one. He's more or less just telling it how it is.

Consider it a blessing that even with a cutthroat mentality in play, in the freelance field you have the options of naming your price. Most jobs on earth they just tell you "You work this long for that much."
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    the sad thing about this isn't so much what he's writing but rather that that's the common mentality in most societies.
    people try to get every little bit of anything for themselves and do not care the slightest if someone else would've had a far greater benefit from it than they do.
    everything is about "having" and not about "needing".
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Tim Langdell feels slightly less edgy, Bobby Kotick pauses mid bite of his baby sandwich and Billy Mitchell almost mistimes a barrel jump.... a new video game villain has appeared.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Capitalism is the devil.

If the artists are taken advantage of then it is kind of their own fault. If their willing to organise their own business they have to know how to do their own business.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    Sadly, there's no indication anywhere in this blog that he's doing anything illegal. That being said, he's an idiot to have broadcasted his views in the manner he did. He's really just digging his own grave, good luck to him getting any decent artists to work for him now. The more us inexperienced artists hear about this type of mentality only makes us more jaded about the industry in general. u_u Sad, but true.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, it's up to him: you can be cut-throat and burn every bridge behind you or you can be reasonable and build a network.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, people will very often try to take advantage of other people, capitalism has nothing to do with it :)

Problem is that business side of art is seldom discussed, which should be more or less common knowledge among artists, like perspective and anatomy is. He managed to get away with that attitude and ways of doing business because artists had no idea how to work and how much/how to charge.

I think a lot can be improved by mere education.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    If this enrages you, think hard next time you ask a friend to help you move or to fix your computer instead of hiring a ‘professional’. Pizza and beer cost less than ‘professional’ movers, so clearly you are exploiting your friends. Or the kid down the street who mows your lawn. Or whomever it is you hire to do a job you don’t want to or can’t who isn’t a “professional”.

This hurt my head. NO fucking way is doing a friend a favor the same as doing your profession.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, it's up to him: you can be cut-throat and burn every bridge behind you or you can be reasonable and build a network.
    This^

You can work in this incredibly small industry for a while, or you can spend time wondering why no one will work with you, again.

No doubt you can make money with sleazy business tactics, but its hard to make a good name for yourself working like that. Especially when you blog about your "hot tips". Just because someone can make money a certain way doesn't make it right. There are plenty of ways to be respected and successful, it often means being a touch more creative and not so quick to take the easy sleazy way out.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Vig wrote: »
    This^

You can work in this incredibly small industry for a while, or you can spend time wondering why no one will work with you, again.

No doubt you can make money with sleazy business tactics, but its hard to make a good name for yourself working like that. Especially when you blog about your "hot tips".

There are alot of people though, it would take him along time to burn all the bridges that are available to him.

Simple karma and whatever likely wont come to anything. The only likely thing is an increase in artist resolve and business nouse, in his wake.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blogging about it... is probably a quick way to burn more bridges than you cross, heh.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Why does this bother you guys?

Markets work pretty naturally. If you don't like practices like this, go to school, get a real job, be one of those professional artists he doesn't want to hire. You'll never bump into eachother. Plenty of people will be happy to work for him, he doesnt need you and you dont need him.

Live and let live, guys.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    It bothers me because he's setting out to purposely take advantage of newer artists, and when you do that, it undermines the established professional and just makes the inexperienced artists angry down the road. Plus the way he phrases it, even if it is "true"... man, what a dick.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the whole point isn't that it might affect us, as we know better, but it affect others. Slavery is also okay...as long I'm not in the boat, pulling oars....*irony intented*
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    McGreed wrote: »
    Yeah the whole point isn't that it might affect us, as we know better, but it affect others. Slavery is also okay...as long I'm not in the boat, pulling oars....*irony intented*

except he's not intending to enslave anyone, he's intending to pay them money to draw pictures.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    KateC wrote: »
    It bothers me because he's setting out to purposely take advantage of newer artists, and when you do that, it undermines the established professional and just makes the inexperienced artists angry down the road. Plus the way he phrases it, even if it is "true"... man, what a dick.

How is he "taking advantage" of them? Finding non-working artists, asking them what compensation they want for their work, then paying them that fee. What a jerk, right?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes by all means please burn out and jade the newbies before they ever take a full time job... awesome.

But honestly he's no worse than someone who combs junk yards looking for antiques to sell. He technically pays for it, he just doesn't pay what its worth. If you don't like it, let your doberman loose and fill his tailgate full of buckshot.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    He is being a jerk when he undermines the importance the artist plays in the eventual outcome of a game. Working for someone who constantly reminds you how replaceable you are is the first step to having a very poor turnover rate and employees who are anything but dedicated to you or your product.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    How is he "taking advantage" of them? Finding non-working artists, asking them what compensation they want for their work, then paying them that fee. What a jerk, right?

I can only speak for myself, but when I was just starting out I wasn't really aware of how to price my work and ended up being paid very, very poorly, even for beginner's quality work. I'll fully and completely admit that it was up to me to figure out how to do it properly, but it's a rough way to learn.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    KateC wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself, but when I was just starting out I wasn't really aware of how to price my work and ended up being paid very, very poorly, even for beginner's quality work. I'll fully and completely admit that it was up to me to figure out how to do it properly, but it's a rough way to learn.

Well, had they gotten a bigger number they could've picked someone else than you, someone who would couldn't figure out a proper pay.

This guy is pissing his most rotten and foul morning urine into the last parts of clear oasis water we have, and he openly blogs and tells other devs how to properly urinate in it too, and if they don't do that they're stupid.

Welcome to the indie gamedev world :(
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    I knew a couple of guys in this position, but wanting to break in so bad they got hooked and are doing something unrelated to their specialization, and usually hating it due to how they're being treated.

I know I have a year to go before graduation, but i'm for sure gonna be reading contracts and exploring interviews without diving head in first into a trap.

ackbar1.gif

images%3Fq%3Dits%2Ba%2Btrap%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D986%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=416&ei=4TZgTOCQAaSIOOy0lKEP&oei=4TZgTOCQAaSIOOy0lKEP&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&tx=51&ty=41p
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore wrote: »
    Why does this bother you guys?

From a completely objective standpoint this person would not hire the artist version of himself.

It also looks as if he advocates using the most cut throat capitalistic principles possible when looking for people to do work for yourself, and that this is a "positive" or "good" thing to do, but that those very same people whom he is telling you you should hire should not apply these principles, and instead act like a resource to be exploited. If they do attempt to behave in a similar manner it is a "negative" or an example of a poor person to employ.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    He really sounds like every business man I have ever come across. If anything, take this as a blessing in disguise and appreciate the fact that this guy actually took the time to write up about shit tactics and cut throat decisions that business people do EVERYDAY to cheap people out of their worth. Better learn now than later down the road.

This is the truth when it concerns capitalism and how it works and frankly, the truth is hard hurts but it doesn't make it any less real.

Didn't Google pull some similar shit on graphic designers by asking for new designs but not willing to pay for their logos?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    cholden wrote: »
    A rebuttal from everyone's favorite outsource manager
    http://www.thejonjones.com/2010/08/09/how-not-to-hire-an-artist/

Absolutely wonderful rebuttal to all the points of the prior article.
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    I pretty much used those techniques to 'hire' (it was a non-paid project) an artist from Deviantart.

The main difference is that, even when the project fell through, we ended up as friends and are currently working to start a webcomic together, just for fun.

The real problem isn't the actual method he's advising - it's nothing new, and it's not like anyone needs to be taught how to act like that - and more the manner in which he's advising it.

That said, the rebuttal was awesome.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I'm pretty sure it was mentioned briefly in the first page of this thread, but everyone keeps talking about this guy like he's some seasoned suit with years of exploitation experience on his resume.

He's a sixteen year-old kid.

He probably picked up this ruthless capitalist act from shit he read on the web, or what Daddy does at the office, but let's not lose sight of the fact that he's just a kid. Maybe when he grows up, he'll get some sense and realize that acting that way will do him no favors in any industry, especially one as small as game development.

Or maybe he'll end up an executive at Zynga.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with danshewan, it's just a kid blablabla....maybe he'll think totally different in a couple years and regret his words or maybe not...
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Doesnt everyone have to go through at least one client like this when they start freelancing? He isnt even the worst by a long shot.

Edit: I think that the reason he is able to get away with this is that he is working with 2d pixel art. Back when games went 3d the pixel art community was gutted. The vast majority of professionals either learned new skills or left the professional pool altogether. Now that pixel art is booming again, it very well may be that the existing market is simply incapable of keeping up with demand. If that is the case, then this sort of tactics may make sense for the time being. i.e.: pros really are overcharging and delivering sloppy work on delayed schedules because they are flooded with orders.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...thats the kid? haha
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    MegaMoogle wrote: »
    He is being a jerk when he undermines the importance the artist plays in the eventual outcome of a game. Working for someone who constantly reminds you how replaceable you are is the first step to having a very poor turnover rate and employees who are anything but dedicated to you or your product.

This should be enough /\ you must have been with my previous "employer".
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    He will be a corporate boss making millions in no time :)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the dude sounds like some 20 year old fool who's learning actionscript. the only people who would "work" for him are 18 year old kids who try to draw horrible anime and put it up on deviantart and then cut themselves.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    DKK wrote: »
    who is this guy? I know him but i forgot his name.

Tim Langdell of Edge Games http://www.destructoid.com/trademark-troll-since-when-did-ea-become-the-good-guys--168999.phtml