Home Technical Talk

want to improve wacom intuos?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
If you have ideas how to improve workflow with an intuos, or if you have an idea for a feature you miss, this is your chance!

I'll collect ideas posted here and forward them to wacom for the next intuos generation. I have a direct contact.

Please keep your text as short as possible and mark the idea in orange at the top of your post, other discussion below.

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Studs
    I wish the intuos had little studs like keyboards, so that it doesn´t lay flat on the table if you pull them out.

I hope that was understandable(if not i will try to make it clear)
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    i agree with specter, i ended up buying a ergo tilt to have my intous on so it sits at a nicer angle
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give the user the option to disable the "tablet PC" options Windows sees fit to enable. The annoying part isn't so much in disabling it, that's pretty easy to do once you know where to look. It's finding out how to disable it the first time that drives most people bonkers. Giving users a quick way to disable it all would be super helpful and a PR win.

Incremental brush opacity controllable through the touch strips. Adobe fails time and again to expose incremental opacity, like they do incremental brush size to keyboard shortcuts. But if some smart person at Wacom could come up with a work around, or maybe punch Adobe in the kidneys it would be much appreciated...
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vig: Would love to see the maybe part.... xD
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah vig I remember spending like 1 hour googling how the hell to fix 3ds max viewport lag, and finally find out it was that....
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if it's just me but although I love my intuos 4 surface feeling for anything I do,
    I never user the side buttons, I feel clumsy while using them, and although I tried to stick with them I finally gave up and only use the keyboard as I find the arm position more comfortable. Than having it lay back to use them.
    Also I find the buttons shape/disposition quite molesting, I don't know if its because I am used to a keyboard but I find that the buttons are too close to each other, and too flat, if we can say that. Once again this may be just me and other people might find them really useful, any ways I just wanted to share my experience.

wheel button is really cool though!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    My workflow would be improved if working with the wacom were like working with a pencil, with ultra fast strokes.

More responsiveness, more control over pressure sensivity, Better drivers.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I actually really like the design of the intuos 4, as well as the roughness of the tablet itself. I can't see myself going back to smooth! I really like the feeling of the rougher version. Perhaps 2 versions? Or maybe just a plastic top cover like the graphire 4 had? One that can be swapped for a smooth/rough version.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    prophecies how long have you been using the intuos 4? here at work i see quite a few tablets beeing super smooth in the middle of the tablet where the pen is beeing used most of the time ;)

- a hardware based lazy mouse like in zbrush would be great, i guess thats something like sais stabilizer function?

- a driver that doesn't get lost and has to be rebooted

- a driver that allows me not only to switch between monitors, but also lets me chose between whch monitors i'd like to switch and in which order

- custom definable buttons pretty much like the intuos 2 had, an area that can be dead to projection if i like to to but has functions in it, so i can just tap them with the pen instead of my sausage fingers :P
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I've been using the intuos 4 for about.... a year now. Every day. Of course it's smooth in the middle/where the pen is used as much, but it still has a different feeling than say, the graphire 4 or the intuos 3 I had.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Give the user the option to disable the "tablet PC" options Windows sees fit to enable. The annoying part isn't so much in disabling it, that's pretty easy to do once you know where to look. It's finding out how to disable it the first time that drives most people bonkers. Giving users a quick way to disable it all would be super helpful and a PR win.

Incremental brush opacity controllable through the touch strips. Adobe fails time and again to expose incremental opacity, like they do incremental brush size to keyboard shortcuts. But if some smart person at Wacom could come up with a work around, or maybe punch Adobe in the kidneys it would be much appreciated...

why not use a single batch script(one for starting one for ending) :

Stop service:

sc stop "TabletInputService"
    sc config "TabletInputService" start= disabled

Start Service:
    sc start "TabletInputService"
    sc config "TabletInputService" start= auto
    one click and your problems are/should be gone
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    b. touch buttons at the top,
    I would 100% disagree with this. For me the current placement of the buttons on the Intuos4 are perfect. Most of the time I'm using it I'm holding the thing with my spare hand anyway, so having the buttons where my hand is instead of oddly at the top makes it much better (especially for zbrush, where most of my brush and camera controls are bound to those buttons).
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with Cyrid.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me too, i always hated that on my old bamboo fun, i always had to stop painting/sculpting when i used the buttons/touchring because my arm was in the way
  • mind_warps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mind_warps polycounter lvl 12
    I Agree with Neox.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inverted b option is cool for me!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neox: yep Neox, a hardware based lazy function is what I tried to say. To be able to use that option to draw in any software would be awesome.

@cryrid: Oh yeah, mostly of the people would never agree with that, mainly because there's a bunch of ways to position the tablet in the workspace. The buttons on top looks so more natural to me because I use something like the B option in the image below.

That's a great curiosity of mine. How do you guys position your tablets on your desk? Mine is B, because is the only position that I can rest my entire forearm in my lit desk.

Roughs4Wacom2.jpg

Another question. Years ago an old mate here at Pcount had creating a DIY desk, fixing the Cintiq inside a traditional animator desk. Does anybody remember that? I'd like to see that pics again.

More like this:
    roughs4wacom2.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I usually just sit it on my lap as my desk is sort of cluttered and small and there's no way I could sit it on the table next to my keyboard. If I feel the need to have on the desk though I'd go for A. Now I really don't care much about the function keys since my left hand is always at the keyboard.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Get rid of the gap
    I havent used a 4 series yet but the gap on the 3 around the drawing area is infuriating.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Custom areas that work as macros/shortcuts

Something like Neox said, the possibility to define the monitor mapping areas, like it is right now, AND define other non overlapped areas to associate macros/shortcuts to, on mouse click like current button mapping for stylus and mouse. The software should also provide the possibility to load/save such layout and export/print it, to be fitted under the tablet pad made transparent as it was on Intuos 1.

Auto sensitivity/sampling adjustment gesture based

The idea is to include into Wacom drivers the auto Brush Tracking setup provided by Corel Painter, where a simple "average stroke" calibrate brush responsiveness.

Better Pressure tuning

The idea is to have a better way to handle the pressure curve response, like some tweaking programs allow. See: http://junkyardsam.blogspot.com/2009/02/wacom-cintiq-driver-manual-adjustment.html

@ Dado Almeida: I use layout A (modeling and some sculpting/painting), but find it uncomfortable over a long working time. I'm considering the idea of buying a small keyboard gaming device (like Sharkoon Rush Pad) to put it side by side with the tablet (Intuos3 A5), but keeping the latter in front of me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another question. Years ago an old mate here at Pcount had creating a DIY desk, fixing the Cintiq inside a traditional animator desk. Does anybody remember that? I'd like to see that pics again.
    Looking for this?
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58579
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I position it where I'm comfortable with at the time, and depending on which application I'm using it for. Sometimes it's on my lap, sometimes in front of/in place of the keyboard, sometimes to the side. Either way I like the way the I4 is laid out.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @felipefrango: Yep. Use the keyboard and their dozen of keys became more fast...

I think this buttons are useful only for people who prefer the A and D(!) layout, which I suppose that don't use keyboard shortcuts extensively like I do.
    I've seen many hardware alternatives to that buttons: an external USB Numeric Keyboard, Belkin's Nostromo keypad and even iPhone with a proper software.

With that another question came to mind? How's practical if the key was exchanged by the new touch abilities? Like a grid/recognition field in the proper drawing surface (like that new Bamboos). I've never played with that models, to see if the finger and the Stylus can be used at the same time.

I extensively use keyboard shortcuts, but not in apps like zbrush or mudbox.I use my express keys and the touch strip for that and i don´t use my tablet in 3dsmax(or similar)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! That's the one, thanks mate. Was talking about that with my bro, I'm living in a small city right now where there's a lot of "furniture makers"(dont know the English word), maybe now I can buy some stuff to construct my version of it....without the Cintiq, unfortunately.

ps.: In one of the replies Pior talked about how he was using a X360 joystick to fire up some shortcuts while in Photoshop. Looks like another alternative to the small tablet shortcuts.

I got my desk custom build by one of these carpenter dudes here in Floripa, it's cool cause you can have whatever you need and it's relatively cheap considering the quality of the material and the fact that it's custom.

By the way, we should totally start a thread to share our setups if there isn't one already, I got curious to see pictures of people's desks and everything.

About the controller it sounds like an interesting idea but then again he said he works standing up! I can't picture myself drawing in any position other than sitting.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    wacom.jpg

After thinking about it the hotkeys could(actually, should) be added to the drawing area as suggested earlier. More hotkeys. Make it happen.

Also wanting to see the global lazymouse feature and the angle suggestion.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Argh, no, if that thing ever came out I'd be happy to stick to my Intuos 3. If you're gonna put more hotkeys at least keep the horizontal symmetry they added in the 4 series. I'd like a couple more tweakable wheels/strip if they worked right, I used to set the left one on my tablet to control brush size cause it was too chaotic for zoom but even them I find it faster to Alt+Right click in Photoshop and now in CS5 you can set size and hardness at the same time.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Neox wrote: »
    - a hardware based lazy mouse like in zbrush would be great, i guess thats something like sais stabilizer function?
    @neox: yep Neox, a hardware based lazy function is what I tried to say. To be able to use that option to draw in any software would be awesome.

You want this - Lazy Nazumi
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    Well it's very different from what people are used to and the arrangements of the keys isn't optimized, but I still think It would be rather useful especially for people who replace their mouse with a wacom completely (except for gaming).

I think the wheels up there would really rock for small tablets if it's possible to immediately change all brush settings seamlessly and rapidly without any clicking and dragging. They might be a bit hard to reach for people with small hands and huge tablets though, I guess, but I'd totally love them on a small tablet.

I don't see what's wrong with having a load of hotkeys, I think It would be quite comfortable to be able to put the keyboard aside and only work with the tablet without sacrificing the speed of hotkey useage... Can't ever have enough well configured hotkeys, just makes working that much more comfortable imo. If people don't feel like using them they can just ignore them, right?

Well that's just my personal dream tablet as a hotkey fanatic though :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

By the way, we should totally start a thread to share our setups if there isn't one already, I got curious to see pictures of people's desks and everything.
    That is an awesome idea. I'm sure we could all learn alot from our workstations. And... well... be totally jealous too. :P

I approve of this. Who's starting the thread?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Usb ports for the detachable cord in the tablet that dont snap with a little bit off use. (yep experienced this and had a mate that also experienced the same thing).

Its a major design flaw from an otherwise wonderful tablet that doesnt work anymore.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Strangely enough...

...I would like to see some heat-proofing and possibly scratch proofing for the drawing surface. I have a 16:9 Intuos 3. I work mainly from home these days and the biggest issues I have with my Wacom are worrying that setting a warm dinner plate on it is going to do something bad to it (I usually put a second plate under it for an insulator), and my cats accidentally dinging the drawing surface with their claws when they get up on my desk once in a while.

So yeah, minor stuff from a happy customer. :D
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... why would you put a hot dinner plate on an expensive piece of equipment? I don't see why wacom would invest in making their stuff dinner-ready.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zephiris your layout totally is made for your tablet placement and i guess beeing right handed, the whole issue will be totally different with another tablet placement and/or beeing lefthanded - the latest intuos layout is symmetrical for a reason (even thought its not symmetrical internally and a lefty has to work with a warmer hand :D)m no i'm not a left handed guy but there are so many especially in the creative fields, you cannot just design for the right handed guys, also imho these are way too many hotkeys and to stay subjective as you are, never use the zoomstrips, while having customizable buttons inside the drawing area, or pressing a shortcut to open up a menu like that i guess i'd use the virtual pen driven touchstrip :D
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    i would like some physical slider like on an audio mixer and one or 2 balls like this http://www.euphonix.com/images/artist/news_09/090825_ibc_MC-Color_900.jpg
    for color and value, like it works for color grading on feature films, i know i would mess up the clean design, but for me it would be handy :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like the touch strip altered so that it has to be actually touched rather than having it activate when a hand is gently waved above it. It's extremely irritating having my texture zoom to a random level every time I do something on the far right of the screen.

Alternatively, just eliminate it all together.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why not just be able to do such thing virtually and set it up like you want and need it? ;)

jack: doesn't happen to me with the wheel on the intuos 4 anymore as its pretty deep in the tablet, i really have to force it to reproduce the issue
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i just want a not dumb looking method to clamp a paper sheet ontop of the drawing surface, sometimes i need the roughness (i seem to paint more precisely with paper on it)
    and i wand a ballpen peak made from metal
    (tha plastic ones get sanded down so quickly by the paper)
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be able to change the angle, pen holder in the tablet, not-as-giant borders, lazy mouse and gestures are my suggestions

basically, what dado said. I think the buttons and position of them are not really that big of a deal when you compare it to how awesome and game changing some of the above stuff would be. Why even need buttons when say a separate button on the pen or the tablet itself allows you to activate a gesture to make an o shape to bring up the color selector or something.

Side note: whats with the giant borders? I have an intuos 3, is it like for some technical reason or what because I wouldn't mind giving up the buttons and touch strip (when I use it I have my left hand on the kb anyways) for it to take up less space on my desk without sacrificing the size of the drawing area.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remove all hotkeys, touchstrips, etc... from the tablet itself (then lower the price on tablet) and instead sell a addon product with those things on it so it can be placed and oriented anywhere the user wants. Allow for multiple such devices to be attached to one PC at a time for even more input options.

Definitely agree about getting rid of the gap between the drawing surface and the rest of the tablet, if it still exists that is (still on a intuos 3).
  • CGvanHoudt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want longer lasting nibs, I use my tablet 24/7 and the nibs wear down like crazy. They also scratch my tablet.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    More durable nibs.
    I have a Cintiq 18 from 2003 and the original nib is still working nicely. I have already gone through two of the 'hard' nibs on the Intuos 4 that I got in Dec. 2009.

Restore 'press and hold' capabilities to pen buttons set to keystrokes.
    For Photoshop I used to be able to set my pen buttons as keystrokes [ ] to increase/decrease brush size, so when I press and hold them they work the same as the keyboard: the brush size increases/decreases until button is released. With recent drivers (I think from around Nov. 2009 on) I have to keep clicking the button to change brush size. Quite the annoyance, and occurs on both Cintiq and Intuos4 on two different comps and PS versions, so I'm pretty sure it is the drivers.

Having a few more controls on the pen?
    May not be everyone's preference, (and may not be cost effective).
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am extremely satisfied with the intuos 4. The looks, the functionality, everything (almost) is perfect about it. I personally don't use the side buttons, I just have one hand that draws and the second hand on my keyboard.

Here is my short rant on a few things I would like changed:

More durable nibs. I have a super old graphire that dates back to... 2004-2005 I think. Never needed to change nibs on that thing. However, this may be related to the rougher surface of the Intuos 4. If that is the case, then that is fine by me I like the rough surface.

Perhaps have a button-free version? I never, EVER use those buttons. They don't get in my way at all, but it would definitely reduce the overall size of the tablet.

So far I'm extremely impressed with the technology they use for the near-zero pressure sensitivity. It has been a blessing. I can only hope that Wacom keeps up their awesome work! Everything I have suggested are merely nitpicks. I've never been more satisfied with a purchase before.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am for the button free version. Take out the buttons sidebar and change it for a bigger drawing area.

its the only improvement I will like to see in my intuos, ...wait maybe there is one more, why don't you replace the whole intuos drawing pad...and make it a nice glossy direct pen on-screen device....haa
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had an Intuos 3 for a couple of years now I guess and never had a problem with my nibs, I've used the same one until recently and it's not damaged to the point of being unusable. I feel it kinda scratchy at times but that's it. Maybe mine is just as damaged as you guys' and I have more tolerance, but nib durability seems fine by me.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it is fine on every tablet I've used until the intuos 4. It seems like since it comes pre-packaged with a bunch of other awesome nibs, they've reduced the durability on them. I'm usually very tolerant as well. I think everyone who has nib durability issues have the intuos 4. I'm ready to bet on it.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, might be the more harsh surface then. Speaking of which, how much is the Intuos 4 worth having over the Intuos 3? I'm considering selling mine and getting a new one but only if the improvements are considerable to justify paying the difference.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    Vig wrote: »
    maze wrote: »
    yeah vig I remember spending like 1 hour googling how the hell to fix 3ds max viewport lag, and finally find out it was that....

I have problems with my 3D Max, it can be seriously slow and crashes alot. I presume what you both refer to could have something to do with it, if so can you tell how I can disable it and possibly elaborate on what the problem is?.. does it mean I shouldn't use my Wacom with Max?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, might be the more harsh surface then. Speaking of which, how much is the Intuos 4 worth having over the Intuos 3? I'm considering selling mine and getting a new one but only if the improvements are considerable to justify paying the difference.
    I actually use both. At school we have Intuos 3's and at home I have an intuos 4. I personally love the i4 because of it's looks, the various types of nibs that are SUPER practical and give a really, really nice feel depending on what you are doing. The rougher surface is nice too. Although the roughness ends up wearing off and becoming smooth like the i3's.

The buttons are better placed, and the scroll wheel works worlds better than the scroll strip the i3 has. I never use the buttons though, I just feel clumsy with them.

The big difference with the i4 isn't the 2048 levels of pressure (as opposed to 1024 with the i3), it is the new technology they use with the i4's pen. Basically, it allows for near-zero pen pressure. I love it. I would suggest you give the i4 a try before buying it though. Some people don't mind sticking with the i3. But for me, the few extra pluses the i4 has makes it worth it. Especially the near zero pressure thing. I can't remember what it's called, but it definitely is nice. At first I thought it had to do with the extra pressure sensitivity levels, but aparently it's thanks to new technology.

Hope this helped!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure did help. I use an Intuos 3 identical to mine at work but one of our concept artists uses a 4 I might be able to borrow for a while to see if it's worth the jump. Thanks for the tips. :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Yeah it is fine on every tablet I've used until the intuos 4. It seems like since it comes pre-packaged with a bunch of other awesome nibs, they've reduced the durability on them. I'm usually very tolerant as well. I think everyone who has nib durability issues have the intuos 4. I'm ready to bet on it.

i'm pretty sure its the grip the surface has not the nibs, its made to feel a bit more like paper and of course this produces more friction than the surfaces before