Home General Discussion

Favorite memories or experiences working in the industry

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
We've had so many negative threads about the industry lately, so I figure it might be a good idea to share everyone's positive experiences. Anything from getting your first shipped titles to company parties, or going to big expos or meeting cool people or landing your first job. Anything is fair game.

Replies

• Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    All the sex. :poly115:
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The time I spent with Malus.

(and ping pong)
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    fooseball breaks!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Realizing somebody stole Spacemonkey's chair for me. I'm officially farting in spacemonkey's chair. Have you ever done that? Yeah, thought so. :cool:

To be fair. The farting sounds from this corner is not from me, it's the guy next to me. He started biological warfare with my nose... :(

Next up, MoP's chair.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Playing left 4 dead in the breaks with my colleagues and having a great fucking time!
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Call of Duty at lunch breaks- used to run to the chippy down the road to grab something, usually end up doing a meal run so we could have half hour to an hour doing a LAN multiplayer session- was the mutt's nuts till we got bollocked for spending too much time playing it hehe

Also having a company of 40+ people cramming in to the back room of the local pub before last rounds whilst crunching on GTA LCS and waiting for the game to build which if it was ok, meant we finished shortly afterwards, if not then we kept going till the early hours...

those were the days...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Working with cool people who're also your friends is pretty damn neat.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Halo Reach polish complete. Was an amazing night. At 12am we hit the deadline, popped champagne, all the envio guys put on silly hats and everyone left at the studio went down to the "Bungie Bar". Many rounds of the special Bungie drink called "The Covenant" were ordered and awesome times ensued. Tons of stories about the game, all the late nights we put in the weeks before to Reach this point, how different the game looked only a few months ago. A night I defantly wont forget, even if some of it is a little fuzzy :P

Also realizing my name is spelled wrong in the Reach credits too late for it to be changed. After I got over the fact that I was sad I did laugh about it quite a bit. A little bit of payback for my atrocious spelling even with spell check, as clicking change on the first word dosnt make it correct :)

Also having my first job be at Bungie working on Halo Reach, I guess that is kinda cool :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    When I worked QA, SOE had some great company parties and they invited all us lowly testers to all of 'em which i thought was really cool of them. Say what you want about SOE products they treat their employees pretty good, not to mention the weekly free donuts and bagels. Good friends, good people, and always open bar.

The polycount meetup in San Fransisco probably takes the cake though. You had to have been there, it was really fucking awesome.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    On house of the dead overkill we had a night where we invited the press along to a swanky night club to give the game a go before release. It was a Halloween and we all dressed up as zombies. It was quite a bizarre but immensely fun night!

2lal.jpg
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    aesir wrote: »
    The time I spent with Malus.

(and ping pong)

It was a truly magnificent weekend, you were so gentle. :P lol
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Lost and the Damned launch party.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Lol, polycount is getting so nostalgic lately! :P

I only have 3 years of experience, but one of the most memorable moments was when I left my previous company (and my country) to move into germany.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Our epic TF2 lunch matches at work.....which is now epic SC2 matches.:)
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ My first paycheck.

I went from living off bread and beans living the student life, and spending any spare money on San Fran and GDC tickets for portfolio advice, to forgetting what malnutrition feels like.

So yeah, Food is Good
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    going mental on Alfred Chicken psOne. Best fun ever.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Making my first in game asset.

And ping pong, and playing ultimate Frisbee at lunch 3 times a week.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back when I was doing paste up for Miller Freeman/UAP (Game Developer), we would get together after work (6am) on Monday, get drunk and play Turok64 multiplayer monkey mode and the beta for some horrific PS fighting game, I can't remember the name of, blood something... it never saw the light of day.

We were working one 4th of July and took an extended lunch to cause a little mayhem.
    A few gallons of this + a bunch of these + this = this.

If I am ever 18-22 again I would gladly work night shift again with a bunch of friends.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    so far, I had some of the best times of my life working at Mythic, especially getting to share an office with Rhinokey. We turned that place into a clubhouse with a futon, minifridge, fishtanks, guitars etc...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    First E3 all the way. Meeting Johnathan Davis at E3 and schooling him at Rainbow Six Lockdown. Meeting and working alongside BoBo! Meeting up with pimp pcount peeps. Working long hours with incredible people and getting trashed together after work. Riding gocarts at the Reno Hilton while slightly intoxicated.. ;)

My first shipped game. Shitty as it was, gave me some self affirmation. I wasn't wasting my time and life on something I couldn't do. I did my job, did it well and loved every fucking second of it. Crunch time or not, I love what I do and I never want to do another damn job in my life.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    First E3 definitely. I met Rogue13 for the first time. I had no idea who he was, I just saw someone wearing a polycount t-shirt and I commented on his awesome shirt. Turns out it was r13 himself! We hopped in a stretch limo and went to a Gamespy party in Hollywood at the Key Club, which was pretty awesome. Then I met up with some of my old friends from Blizzard and we went to the Blizzard company party at a rooftop bar over Sunset.

Overall it was a great week meeting up with old friends and making new ones, and it was a great first trip to California.

5 weeks later I quit my job and moved to Los Angeles :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Working at pinewood studios - a real big movie studio - seeing the 007 hall/hangar thing right next to where I worked. I also saw Tim Burton's parking space (had his name on it) but I didn't meet the man himself. Guess I could have camped where he would park his car? hehe

First time seeing my name on the credits on TV :)

At the first proper job doing character modeling, this feeling that goes like this "wow I really made it, I work with all those other awesome artists, I have to pinch myself to see if it's real".

My company sent me to Beijing for 6 months, that was pretty awesome and a great experience!
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    seeing your first model running in-game. It's totally different feeling when it's like for a REAL game.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Ping pong.

Got to go to a pixar story masterclass last week, which is something I otherwise wouldn't have been able to do. 'twas awesome.

Working on a title that was actually released was a good feeling, even if it wasn't a great game. Being part of a team and collaborating is something I greatly enjoy.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    The Nerf Battles. Although my co-worker started cheating and got a modded gun with a brass barrel, and bb filled darts!....
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    All the hot chicks - DAYUM!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Hot chicks, for real. You'd be surprised at how many of them work in the vfx industry. It's too bad most of them are married :(
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    lots of hot chix in china....especially yummy because people have no sense for appropriateness. Office costumes? the chinese call 'em hot pants ;)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    When do i start Kwramm?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Kwramm wrote: »
    lots of hot chix in china....especially yummy because people have no sense for appropriateness. Office costumes? the chinese call 'em hot pants ;)

damn i should have taken the lead position in shanghai, but i think my girlfriend would not like that :poly136:
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    My 1st day in this crazy world of working on games for real and not in my bedroom ;D

The wrap parties are mucho fun, but what tops them all is seeing my stuff on a shelf, on an advert on tv still makes me all warm inside ;D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game dev is an awesome career.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Am I the only one here that likes the harems of hookers, scarface piles of blow, and drunk driving down the strip?
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that likes the harems of hookers, scarface piles of blow, and drunk driving down the strip?

*Resume to A2M sent. :shifty:
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

Hellllllllll yea, its why i got in this business. nothing like swerving madly through crowds of pedestrians high outta your mind on the way to the local whore house at lunchtime.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    The chair humping <3
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sounds like you play too much GTA.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Beer lunches and gaming with beer after work on Fridays at my last studio.
    Rock Band happy hours at my current studio.
    The last day of work at my first game job. My job had gotten outsourced, so my AD took us all out to lunch and proceeded to order tray after tray of shots. That's where I learned that goldschlager not only gets you trashed but freshens your breath!
    All of my happy memories seem to involve drinking on the job.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    One of many good memories (and ongoing memories) is the office pub. Friday lunch, top it off with a gin & tonic. And if the weather permits, sitting outside sipping on a drink in the sun with friends. It's pretty f-king awesome.

Going to Global Gathering for the first time with a friend from work, dancing like nutters to Noisia, Carl Cox, Steve Aoki and many others was pretty sweet too :D

Most recent: Suit Friday. In no other industry is every day casual so you have to have a (volunteer) dress up day :) (getting compliments on the suit and getting wolf whistles while walking down the street was pretty fun too, as well as being told I look like a russian mobster)
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the groupies!
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    Jason Lavoie's hair
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    urgaffel wrote: »
    Going to Global Gathering for the first time with a friend from work, dancing like nutters to Noisia, Carl Cox, Steve Aoki and many others was pretty sweet too :D

Wish I was there man, I bet that went off!!!!!!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Wish I was there man, I bet that went off!!!!!!

It was alright I guess...

(holy shit it was awesome)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    mat wrote: »
    Jason Lavoie's hair

I touch that shit when his sleeping :O
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    The buddies I worked with (group of 6 including me) always flamed each other out loud, I loved it :). Awww I miss those guys :(:(:(
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    This is a great thread.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Bumping this thread because I love the responses so far.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Being banned from making space cakes for office parties because of the way it ended the last party so abruptly :)

Watching coders go to pubs and then getting shot down while attempting to talk to the opposite sex.

Colleague who used to dress in full fighter pilot outfit for work.

Seeing my name in the credits in a game for the first time.

My first day in Amsterdam/Europe 3 days before starting my first game job. Most of the guys who arrived that day went to sleep immidietly to recover ffrom jet lag,not knowing jack about how to buy a ticket,i jumped on the first train into town to explore and well,if you know what my PC name means,having fun :)

Patying on the night i shipped my first title

seeing artwork ive made in game for the first time.

Seeing for the first time how good the lunch was in my last job in Denmark. They had 2 full time chefs who wanted to work during their days to be with their families at night,before that they worked in good restaurants in Copenhagen.

Having an early 1800 giant mast sailship outside my window everyday when i worked

coming to work on the bus,going through the carnage and destruction from the riot of the previous night. Christiania in Copenhagen is known for their lack of fondness for the authorities. There were outlines of burned cars on the road,broken glass,burned debris and glass all over.

Office debauchery during company parties,drunkeness,fights and drama the next day from office parties. Coworkers shagging in bathrooms,stolen booze and finding out a designer ended up very drunk at 4 in the morning,in the middle of winter with no pants in a military base being assisted by the MPs on duty.

New Years party with colleagues at an illegal underground party in Utrecht holland,full with cheap bar,various party favors :) and dual DJ booths.

Snowball fight outside the office during my first winter in Europe.

Many,many office practical jokes.