Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some of my new portfolio pieces. (Bandwith heavy)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
soulstice polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys!

I've been working on some new portfolio pieces over the past few months. I've learned alot from pc(mainly just lurking and drooling on other peoples work) and wanted to thank everyone's contribution, and heres a humble contribution of my own. Please feel free to C&C.

portfolio http://www.jameschew.com

swat_beauty.jpg
swat_colors.jpg
swat_wires.jpg

m4a1_colors.jpg

aviator_beauty.jpg
aviator_color.jpg
aviator_wires.jpg

ModularBuilding_colorswireframes-1.jpg

ModularBuilding_maps.jpg

daftruck_colors.jpg

daftruck_wires.jpg

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hey James, your work is looking really good as always! I'm liking all of it, really clean stuff! That rifle has some nice textures, and that truck is really awesome.

Keep at it!! :D
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mezz! :)

I updated the character pics, made some proportion adjustments based on some critiques.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Updated textures on my graduate piece.. Stryker.

stryker_colors.jpg

stryker_wires.jpg

Will be getting the renders of the props for my modular building set rendered out. Not really sure why my images are showing up a tad bit blurry, tried hosting it through blogger and photobucket.. both give me the same results.. perhaps someone knows why?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man most of your stuff is looking nice, your girl model tho could be alot less dense in the general nip area :) also the anatomy on her is a bit off, but girls are tricky so keep workin on em! dig the truck btw
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I also like your work very much. I think the truck could benefit from a little more color variation. Have you considered using a different color or camopattern for the awning in the back? Atm the trucks looks very .. green. ;)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those trucks with wires, are those with normals baked?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    some nice looking stuff.

biggest problem I see is your gun has to much black splotchyness all over it. giving it a really high contrast. looks too cloudy
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woogity: Hey Woogity, yeah maybe the anatomy on the chick is a bit off. To be honest this is the first 3D female I've attempted. I'm going to try to keep that in mind and focus on the anatomy more next time.

Slave_Zero: Thanks man, I totally agree on the truck, I'm going to play with the hue of the tarp/awning a bit. Will update soon with new render.

N88tr: Yeah theres one render with wires+normals.

Autocon: I agree, the M4 is a bit splotchy looking, originally the textures were done for only the sake of the character rendering in mind and I pushed the wear on it perhaps too much.. close up render makes it evident. I'm going to play with the spec to make it a bit more subtle.

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it! Heres a new update of the ornament piece from my modular set.

lion_ornament.jpg
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Some VERY solid stuff here! I feel liked you missed an opportunity on the van with the canvas cover to break up the green color with a brown or something. I don't know, something about it feels very toy like to me. I love the textures on the metal and paint though!
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Really great work!

The only crit i have is on the truck the inside/wheel-well area. It looks like some wires or cables were in the high poly and they look good on the texture sheet, but the geometry or smoothing groups are killing em. Thats being really nit-picky though. Great work overall, i really dig that lion piece.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Really solid assets. I agree with Autocon about the cloudiness. If you were to flatten it out, and give some minor scratches to imply useage, it would go a long way. My crit would be to rework your shader/spec maps on some of your assets. Also try to change up the value or hue of the tarp, because it is the same color as the metal of the truck. (or vice versa) The spec of the tarp is exactly the same as the metal, which is not making it read correctly. Love the assets, just a little more polish, and boom great results.

Great work!
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme: I've changed the hue on the tarp. Sometimes I just need a pair a fresh eyes after starring at my work for this long, thx!

imb3nt: Thanks! I agree, I've changed the mesh so that its one solid mesh instead of having geometry extruded in where the wires cross(thereby casting a shadow onto the wires). I think this helped a bit, let me know.

Spug: The splotchy look on the m4 that will be my next target for fix. In the meantime I've updated the spec/hue of the tarp based on the suggestion of you and a couple others here.

Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Heres the updated version:

daftruck_colors.jpg

Some more props from the modular set:

mailbox.jpg

Dumpster.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    this stuff is awesome! im so keeping an eye on this thread! :)
  • therobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    therobear polycounter lvl 6
    Hey James,

Nice looking models you got there. That army truck looks amazing? How big is the texture on the truck?
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Wow the truck looks better, and I am really digging how the textures are popping a lot more as of the update. I would also suggest to give your prop assets a gradient from top to bottom, thus giving them more appeal, and will draw the eyes of the viewer down all over your assets. Right now, they are flat, but the normal/model/texture is mighty fine. With just a wee bit more polish lad, it will be baller.

Do it up. Great art.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    dats some sweet stuff u got there man. can u tell me wut ur process was for the texturing for the lens on the scope of the rifle