Home Technical Talk

toolbag contest + wish list

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
Okay, cg.tutsplus.com is running a contest where you can win one of three free copies of toolbag. I think polycount should be able to easily dominate, if you guys are interested :)

http://cg.tutsplus.com/articles/contests-and-giveaways/win-1-of-3-marmoset-toolbag-v1-01-licenses-in-our-july-competition/

Second, I'd like to open up this thread to wild ideas for toolbag. We've enjoyed working on it, and we'd like to continue adding features in free updates. Some ideas we are playing with in our heads right now:
  • Video capture (would write an uncompressed video file that users could compress on their own for distribution later)
  • Customizable skin shader, with skin gradients and sliders and such
  • Configurable bokeh shape for different lens apertures (circle, hexagon, square, smiley face, others). Combine with some DOF artifact fixes
  • 3D stereo rendering (for use with cyan/red glasses)
  • Depth blurred shadows (shadows get blurrier farther from the shadow caster)
So, I hereby throw open the floor to any suggestions, big or small, wild or mundane, clever or stupid. Obviously we won't be able to add everything people ask for, but we will read the thread with our science glasses 8)

-8monkey

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    3D stereo rendering (for use with cyan/red glasses)
    I just ordered a pair to try something out. Would be awesome to see them. Been looking into the theory behind stereoscopic...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Id like to see these made available in the toolbag:

1. Import more than one mesh, for us environment artists.
    2. Vertex blending of textures with an additional modulate map: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66952&highlight=snow
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Since lens falre is already in there, i say the new lens flare is required: CHROMATIC ABERATION §!

Seriously though: i owuld love to see stereo make it in interlaced mode too (since i own a 3d monitor)
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ark: we do have blending of textures based on grayscale map as of our 1.01 update from a couple days ago (not vertex based though).

LENS FLARE NOTED lol
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Render character sheets....this is good when you want to compare different characters side by side
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Reflective materials (cubemapped). I want my shiny metal.

Support for diffusely convolved cubemaps via reflections (per-pixel cubemap mip selection) would be real nice. blurry metals ftw.

Some type of vertex-color driven wind system (for vegetation, cloth, etc). Would be useful for videos of these types of assets, and many of these types of systems are common so previewing could be useful if flexible enough (configurable channels?)

Dynamic surface modulation (snow, frost, moss, wet&rain)

More Non-photorealistic rendering support (light-warping via 2D ramp, half-toning)

I also really really agree with a better skin shader...good idea.

customizable lens flares / glares and stuff would be neat..though not all that useful. maybe good for getting those specific "lens" looks though...can certainly help enforce some themes. example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I guess the longer this thread runs, it all will come down to having a "simple to use" world-editor, something like crysis sandbox, but with less complexity... (doesn't need to have terrain, but say "snapping", quickly putting assets together to a scene)

if you center that around "all kinds" of 3d files, e.g. fbx/collada.. (http://assimp.sourceforge.net/ could come handy) it would be a great help and something you can sell plugin-based.

As in core-engine, and the various plugins to load/isntance multiple assets, to manipulate assets (paint blend-maps), draw particles in the scene...

... that would have been my plan for a luxinia based editor at least hehe.
    just have to watch out that you don't end up too engine centric. and keep everything very clean and fast-loading.

something that allows people to abuse your toolbag for their own projects and doesn't require "heavy weights" such as UDK, sandbox... question is if there is really a market for that given so many free options (unity eidtor, udk...)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    BRDF would be awesome.
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good suggestions, all. Keep em coming.

@cman2k: diffusely convolved cube maps is already how it does the lighting, and it does now support per-pixel mip selection for specular, giving you the blurry metals :) We are considering an easier interface for people to load their own cube maps for our engine to generate the diffuse and specular convolutions automatically.

@danimal: the new version has a feature where if the window is minimized, the cpu usage drops to almost 0. It's only while the window is open and rendering that the cpu usage is high.

I like the cook-torrence idea, as well as NPR rendering. We keep getting feedback that folks want a scene setup kind of tool for multiple meshes, more than just a mesh previewer. That would be a big addition, but it is possible and we'll think about that for like a version 1.5 or 2.0 or something.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    There is so much hidden awesome. Ok, now I have a new request. You guys should have a wiki, lol.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    • For environment people, able to import basic camera data for flythroughs.
    • Render to image files instead of video (in case of crashes mid render)
    • Wireframe overlay option.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Since it seems like the primary use of Marmoset in the community is for portfolio shots, some features that would streamline that type of use.

- A snapshot button, which would take a render/snapshot with an alpha in the alpha channel. The current workflow of taking a screenshot and keying out the background is not ideal, especially with bloom effects that mess up the silhouette.

- Some more control over the light: Instead of the light simply orbiting the center, the ability to move the light in 3D space. Ability to add color to the light, and the ability to add multiple lights.

- SSAO would be incredibly awesome, the current method of exporting multiple uv sets and baking a separate AO map is very time consuming for a simple AO effect for a portfolio shot.

- Better shadows, I seem to get artifacting on large/complicated meshes.

- Ability to save an asset, textures, and render settings into a single file so that you could load up that file and everything would display as intended without having to adjust anything.

- Ability to load multiple objects to set up a scene, instead of being restricted to mesh chunks.

- Support for glow maps.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost forgot, this is huge for environment artists, the ability to add decals with a blending mode / transparency. For example, when using alpha cards with grime so that it blends into the wall instead of sticking out like a sore thumb with alpha test.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Ability to add color to the light, and the ability to add multiple lights.

- SSAO would be incredibly awesome, the current method of exporting multiple uv sets and baking a separate AO map is very time consuming for a simple AO effect for a portfolio shot.

- Ability to save an asset, textures, and render settings into a single file so that you could load up that file and everything would display as intended without having to adjust anything.

- Support for glow maps.

Have you downloaded the new toolbag yet? It does all of these already.

I totally second the snapshot + alpha or save as transparent PNG option. A lot of people like to add gradient backgrounds and such in photoshop and this would simplify it so much.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not. Checking it out now.

Edit: Holy crap, it does indeed include most of the stuff I asked for. Kickass! I"m going to be playing with this all night.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    How about skeletal animation support with the .fbx plugin ;)
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skeletal anim support through fbx might be interesting, if it doesn't turn out to be too hard to convert to marmoset's animation data.

As far as the alpha in a snapshot thing, I think its already supported. If you check out the alpha channels of your TGA files written for screenshots, it should be present. Let me know if there are bugs or glitches in that regard.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah cool, there is an alpha in the targa. I guess the only thing it lacks is that the alpha doesn't include the bloom effect, which looks slightly odd since it is glowy but the edge is clean.

I've also noticed that the lighting system for normal maps isn't optimal, perhaps due to the lightcubes? Smoothing errors will show up for many angles, even those not close to 90 degrees. Obviously this is an engine thing, but it would be nice to have better normal map rendering with something like the 3point system.

To give you an example of what I mean, this is a mesh that had a normal map baked in xNormal and is broken up into proper smoothing groups.
    smoothingerrors.jpg
  • Av7xrocker97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if it actually is right, but I've had problems exporting obj's from blender (the uv's get all screwed up.) so I'd like to see more model importing options.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    a way to quickly set the screenshot size within the editor. As well as saving a screenshot with an alpha channel in case we decide to take things into photoshop and composite.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    I was thinking, that you guys should support quality normals!! The 3point studio guys were talking about intergrating them in udk somehow. Maybe u should put that in marmoset!
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul wrote: »
    a way to quickly set the screenshot size within the editor. As well as saving a screenshot with an alpha channel in case we decide to take things into photoshop and composite.

Check out the new version ;)

http://www.8monkeylabs.com/toolbag
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Any chance on higher res/quality SSAO?...at the moment its a little grainy.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr wrote: »

Yea, shadows are a bit jaggy as well.

The autoreload function is amazing, you can be texturing in photoshop and have marmoset open on the second monitor, and just click over to it and the textures update without having to click anything. Its a great tool for realtime preview of textures.

After using it for a few days, there are a couple features/bug fixes that would be nice.

- The addition of a bloom slider for just the emissive map so you could make lights glow without it affecting areas with spec.
    - The ability to create some type of dummy camera icon/arrow in space so that when for example you are creating a 3 point lighting setup, you know where your camera will be.
    - The ability to manually adjust a slider for the turntable, instead of having to set a speed and unpause to rotate the asset.
    - When bringing in obj, the wireframe checkbox will only show triangulated meshes instead of quads. I don't know if its different for mesh, but quads would be nice.
    - The ability to rename, duplicate, and re-order lights.
    - The axis of the light seems to be created based on the camera or something instead of world space. This is kind of annoying, I'd prefer it to be created with 0,0,0 rotation.
    - I've noticed that when using the screenshot button, the quality and lighting differ significantly from the realtime viewport. For example, if I tweak the lighting and spec so a shiny metal is just on the edge of being blown out, when I take the screenshot it will be completely blown out in the render. The quality also seems to be significantly worse, there will be jagged edges and what seems like a low res render when compared to the viewport, even when jacking up the render size. Doing print screen results in much higher quality.

Overall, the new version is freaken awesome, and seems definitely worth buying to me.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11

i feel silly now..lol. :P
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PredatorGSR: Thanks for the feedback, you have some good points there. If you haven't stumbled on it already you can rotate the mesh without the turntable slider by holding Ctrl and using the left mouse button in the viewport.

The screenshot color issues are a little disturbing to hear. Are you by chance taking your shots in HDR (writing pfm files)? The gamma on those will be different, but if you're writing TGA shots, it should be the same...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Marmoset is doing things linear?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PredatorGSR: Thanks for the feedback, you have some good points there. If you haven't stumbled on it already you can rotate the mesh without the turntable slider by holding Ctrl and using the left mouse button in the viewport.

The screenshot color issues are a little disturbing to hear. Are you by chance taking your shots in HDR (writing pfm files)? The gamma on those will be different, but if you're writing TGA shots, it should be the same...

Here is an example, using tga (non hdr) vs print screen. You can see that the lighting is blown out on the rendered image. The lighting and bloom seem to be significantly bright.

marmoset_comparison.jpg
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Predator: You're right, thats a quite noticeable difference. Did the background color somehow come out the same in each shot, or have you photoshopped it? Also, have you tried with and without AO by chance? I'm thinking it might be related to color/gamma correction issues.

Oh and by the way - our 20% off sale for Toolbag ends tonight (wednesday) at midnight.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The background color doesn't change. I also tried it with all shadows, AO, and post effects turned off, and the image was still brighter in the renders, which makes me think it is just the lighting that is changed.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I tried to reproduce the PrintScreen vs TGA issue but everything came out identical with or without AO (apart from some minor pixel differences around the edges of objects.) :/

PrntScreen_Vs_TGA.jpg

@PredatorGSR,
    What Skylight preset are you using?

@Jeff,
    One thing i did notice when doing the test is that the generated alpha from the Marmoset exported TGA doesnt include Bloom. Bug?

Also for feature requests, i think the following would be great.
    • The ability to import multiple meshes, each with the full range of material options available to them.
    • A scalable ground plane with at least Diffuse, Normal and Spec/Gloss that can be moved up and down (with a slider/numerical input).
    • Native keyframes on the turntable or the ability to rotate the turntable X times to help with video editing.
    • Turntable TGA sequence export.
    • The ability to change Shadow and SSAO (not sure if that is possible) resolution in the interface.
    • Custom Skybox and Cubemap import.
    • Scene lighting with Emissive maps.

Also in the manual it states that to load an sky preset the user should select one from the "Env Lighting Presets" but the option is actually called "Sky Lighting Preset".

Thanks for all the hard work guys...im loving marmoset :D
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here are all my settings, I tried changing everything that seemed relevant with no result. Is there a chance it could be video card related? I have an 8800 GT on 64bit Windows 7.

http://www.konradbeerbaum.com/forums/marmoset_settings.jpg
  • kyle.rau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    This version owns! Had to snag it for $40 after that discount, the screenshot with alpha mask is worth it alone.

Some things you guys should consider adding:

-Auto mesh update! The texture update feature is awesome! Its great for seeing my bakes when I am re-baking, after its done I hope over to marmo and it is updated. But I do change my mesh a lot during baking. Fixing normals, editing uv's etc. It would be great to have that update feature on the mesh also! :)

-Maybe some sort of hue/saturation slider for diffuse (and spec maybe) ?

-Multiple mesh import, already been suggested, but it would be a great addition, especially if it had a translation widget. Would work great for adding a couple things around your model for portfolio shots

Keep it up !
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Predator: thanks for the settings info, we're going to see if we can reproduce your bug here in house, so we can fix this for the next release. Interesting that mettalliandy doesn't have the same problem.

Also, just throwing this out there... anybody interested in a mac version? It would probably be doable.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Idea from the other thread
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Im demoing at the moment and i noticed that the spec/gloss map are composed into one map. Would it be possible in future release to seperate these. I itterate my spec and gloss alot and constantly comping them is a pain in the ass. It'd be much more user friendly to seperate the maps.
    I think this is a great idea. :)

Also some more ideas :P
    1. Having a separate user definable channel where you could pack a texture and choose which channel performs a particular function (R=Gloss G=Occlusion B=Height for example).
      Currently it pains me to use so many different textures when i could use 1 for the same cost. (using Gloss and Height in the Alphas means 4 wasted channels right?)
    2. Having something like LODBias in UDK where you can reduce the texture size by X amount without re-exporting the base texture.
    3. Detail Specular would be useful.
    4. A way to import UVs for Occlusion without having to export a mesh with 2 UV sets for those of us without Max or Maya (maybe importing a second OBJ and have marmoset only read the UVs, rather than loading the mesh?)
    5. Tool tips to explain what a slider/button does by hovering the mouse over the said slider/button

Thanks for looking guys :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I have just noticed a couple of bugs.
    1. If you save a scene it doesn't preserve the Sky Brightness, Sky Rotation or any textures loaded.
    2. If you load a normal map and then hit "C" to clear it, the Normal map remains on the model.

Also a another few feature requests ^^
    • It would be great if you could show actual rendered tri/vert counts somewhere (maybe as an overlay or something?).
    • The ability to instance and rotate/move meshes so environment artists could only export the minimum geo necessary and then instance and rotate to complete modular assets.
    :)
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback metalliandy, we'll take a look :-)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    No problem Jeff :)

On a side note, i think savable camera positions would be sweet too!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Is there any chance that we can get the skys that were in the beta forwards compatible?
    It would be nice to be able to use them again :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @Jeff,
    I have just successfully reproduced the prntscrn vs .tga but that PredatorGSR reported a few posts ago.
    It seems to be linked to the use of spotlights in a scene.
    I would be happy to send you guys the .tbag file along with the asset/textures if that would help any.

rubble_lighting_test.jpg
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks metalliandy, that will be helpful in tracking down the screenshot/view discrepancy. Looks like some issue of color correction related to spotlights. Hopefully that'll be an easy fix for me to make.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Awesome.
    Do you want me to PM you with a link to the files?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for tracking it down. Looking forward to the fix since I'm having to use print screen instead of the very useful alphas.
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No need for the files, thanks. Already on it here :-)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Just noticed a few bugs.
    • If you save a scene with the green channel inverted on the normal it doesn't apply the inversion when the scene is loaded even though the invert Y option is checked.
    • Marmoset doesn't remember the same normal map settings when you save a material.

Maybe it would be best to put the normal map swizzle in the Material tab?
    I think it would maybe make a litle more sense in there rather than in the View tab.
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    Bug - If you select the advanced refraction shader, toolbag forgets all your maps.

Bug - Even when I save my scene imediately prior to closing the program I still have a prompt telling me there are unsaved changes.

Suggestion - I have a material I would like to apply to multiple objects/chunks, a duplicate material function would be very handy for this sort of thing
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I love this tool.
    off the top of my head:
    -the ability to create project folders kinda like what 3ds max does.
    -saving a screenshot should not overwrite another
    -customize width and height
    -separate slot for gloss map