Home General Discussion

The polycount tourist information thread.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
Let's face it. There's polycounters all over the world and odds are that a polycounter at one time or another will visit another polycounters country/city/etc. Thus I've made this thread so we can share some wisdom with each other.

----

I'm currently in London and I will be here for a few months (lot's of time to see stuff in other words).

I went to a natural museum today that was kinda lame... Then i went to a second museum close by that i THINK is called V&S and it rocked so hard I have to go back.

So. Got any must see London-things on the list guys? :D
I'm not much for the bigger attractions like Buckingham palace, or big ben... or in comparison the wall in china or the white house. You usually already know how it looks from all the millions of movies and gazillion tourists that have been there before.

I prefer museums and just roaming around in the cities to be honest. Being an everyday "pretend"-londoner mixed in with some rare sights.

EDIT: I think i'm gonna put some time into seeing if it's possible to check out the catacombs and stuff :)

Replies

• metalliandy
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah imperial war museum is all the rave in my head right now. Good to hear you mention it! Might even go there tomorrow if i can muster the energy. :)

Didn't know about the Duck tours though. Seems more like a thing my girlfriend might like when she visits :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    RAF museum in Hendon is ok. haven't been there in 20 years, but its cool anyway
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't it the V+A beside the natural history museum?

Oh Camden Market is pretty sweet in London too.

Well I live in Edinburgh so the castle is always a good start :/.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    perfect thread! anyone know anything about new zealand? Im heading there in september/october for a 3 or 4 weeks. anything i should see or do?

im thinkin of doing this tour http://ca.contiki.com/tours/85-grand-explorer then doing my own thing for a week and possibly another, shorter, tour
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    15 days is going to be a pretty serious rush if you're going to be seeing the North and South islands.

Something I notice you don't have on your itinerary is a trip to Napier which is definitely worthwhile. It was completely flattened by an earthquake back in 1930 and then rebuilt entirely in Art Deco style. It's supposed to be one of the worlds best preserved art deco cities, alongside one other city in the US.

When you're in Wellington, you might like to head out to the Weta Cave - a museum and store attached to the Weta film studio. It's pretty small, but they've got a bunch of props and maquettes and things from various movies there along with a video tour of the studio. The guys working there are great to chat with too.

Those are the two that come to mind at the moment. There's loads to see in New Zealand, but it looks like your tour is going to cover a lot of it, albeit way to quickly to really experience much, IMO.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Snowfly and myself are based in Singapore, so if anyone's ever in the area, hit us up. :p
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The coolest thing I saw was just 2 hours outside London...jump into a train to Portsmouth and visit the HMS Victory. It's amazing how big this thing is, and it's made almost entirely of wood.

The British Museum is also very recommended.

What's also really cool (especially since you're an env guy Wahlgren), St. Paul's cathedral. One of the most beautiful churches ever. Make sure to climb up all the way to the dome so you can look down to the inside (then climb some more) and look down at the outside.

I heard you can also get a guided tour thru some old war time tunnels of the tube - I never got around doing that, but it sounds interesting.

If anyone cares, I can give travel trips for Oslo, Austria, Beijing, Shanghai, South Florida, little bit of London

LoTekK: Singapore...I might visit eventually. When it's not sooo hot :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    London.. Go see uncle pete..

I'll be in singapore before the end of the month.. go there quite regularl and know all the nice places to go.. and no I dont mean geylang.. =.=
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Woo, let's go get some beers when you're here. I'll get snowfly in on the action as well.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Will you still be around in August? I'm flying off for California for 1 1/2 weeks this Sunday!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    waiting for confirmation on if I need to go sit in a jungle in Indonesia for a week. If I do then I will be in singapore in August. will know by monday.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Here you, go - my pics from seeing the HMS Victory in Portsmouth
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29075182@N08/sets/72157624394650707/
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Kwramm wrote: »
    The British Museum is also very recommended.

Seconded. I was there on Thursday for the Renaissance drawings exhibition, and being inches away from so many genuine Da Vinci and Michelangelo sketches was an incredible experience. I was also blown away by what I can assume is one of the earliest wireframe 'renders' by Paolo Uccelo:

Ucello_Chalice.JPG

I think the exhibition is due to close pretty soon, but they've got the Egyptian Book of the Dead on display in September - a really awesome museum. If you're visiting, you've gotta go.