Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Please help with Compiling!

Hullo, me again. I've been all over the internet, looking for what to do, but finding no help, not from my own thread, to the thread of pros, to steam forums, to even old CS forums can i find any help with compiling.
Heres what I have:

furcap.smd: my model, correctly rigged to bip_head with jigglebones
furcap_idle.smd: the idle model
furcap.vtf :my texture
furcap.vmt: the command thing
furcap.qc: Heres the contents
$cd "C:\Users\######\Desktop\TF2 Stuff\Hats\furcap"
$modelname "player\items\sniper\sniper_domination.mdl"
$scale 1
$body furcap "furcap"
$cdmaterials "\models\player\items\sniper"
$hboxset "default"
$hbox 0 "bip_head" -4.712 -9.009 -5.734 4.712 0.007 4.244
// Model uses material "\models\player\items\sniper\furcap.vmt"
$surfaceprop "wood"
$illumposition 0.349 0.000 80.672
$sequence idle "furcap_idle.smd" fps 30.00
$jigglebone "jiggle1" {
has_base_spring {
stiffness 100
damping 6
left_constraint -20 20
up_constraint -20 20
forward_constraint -20 20
}
}
$jigglebone "jiggle2" {
is_flexible {
yaw_stiffness 100
yaw_damping 3
length 20
yaw_constraint 0 0
}
}
$jigglebone "jiggle3" {
is_flexible {
yaw_stiffness 100
yaw_damping 3
length 20
yaw_constraint 0 0
}
}
$jigglebone "jiggle4" {
is_flexible {
yaw_stiffness 100
yaw_damping 3
length 20
yaw_constraint 0 0
}
}
the ##### is my name.

when compiled with GUI studioMDL i get:
[Performing Sanity Check]
QC file loaded...PASS
Can read QC...PASS
Can find studiomdl.exe...PASS
Can build command line...PASS
All tests passed!
[Compiling QC file - "furcap.qc"]
[Compiler output follows]
entering C:\Users\ALEXIS\Desktop\TF2STU~1\Hats\furcap\furcap.qc
grabbing C:\Users\ALEXIS\Desktop\TF2 Stuff\Hats\furcap/furcap.smd
************ ERROR ************
bad command $cdmaterials

[Compiler execution completed]
I know $cdmaterials is a command. If i get rid of it, it just says the next command is bad, and so on, and so on. The .qc is correctly formatted as AISN.

when I try regular studioMDL it tells me (filepath)studio.exe is not an internal or external command.

when i use notpad++ and do the F6 command
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\mjr0celot\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\studiomdl.exe"
"$ C:\Users\ALEXIS\Desktop\TF2 Stuff\ Hats\furcap\furcap.qc "
it said this in console

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\mjr0celot\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\studiomdl.exe"
Process started >>>
<<< Process finished.
"$ C:\Users\ALEXIS\Desktop\TF2 Stuff\ Hats\furcap\furcap.qc "

CreateProcess() failed

================ READY ================
it strarted, then it froze and said studiomdl.exe stoped working in a popup. Repeated tries gives the same results for each. If you need anythign to help me I'll be happy to provide with screen shots etc. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully help me.
1Fort 2Fort

Replies

• Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StudioMDL likes to play tricks on you. Whenever a problem occurs, I restart steam and try to do it again. Also, you may have a broken .exe, try to re download and install it again.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Why dont you use GUIStudioMDL instead? its way easier of use.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive tried that restart with steam Fragus, but another time doesnt hurt. How would I redown load it?

Micro27
    ive used studioMDL, GUI studioMDL and the Notepad++ methode where you use F6 command. Did you read my post? I put the error message I got from it in there.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish i could help :| I have no idea whats causing this, try getting someone else to compile it maybe?
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    change body furcap "furcap" into
    $model "body" furcap.smd"
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire:
    okay. Lemme try that, but i was using $body because it said %model was invalid.

Thanks Buck, its okay, just saying that is nice ^_^.

EDIT:
    Didn't work Spark, I got errored
    [Performing Sanity Check]
    QC file loaded...PASS
    Can read QC...PASS
    Can find studiomdl.exe...PASS
    Can build command line...PASS
    All tests passed!
    [Compiling QC file - "furcap.qc"]
    [Compiler output follows]

entering C:\Users\ALEXIS\Desktop\TF2STU~1\Hats\furcap\furcap.qc
    ************ ERROR ************
    bad command $model

[Compiler execution completed]
    Doesnt like model.

now says
    $body "body" furcap

if i put furcap.smd it says error, furcap.smd.smd doesnt exist.
    The error mesage now is bad command $cdmaterials
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait a second, Did you change the IDST?
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Have you refreshed your SDK content at all?
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IDST? You mean the directory thing?
    like this?
    I'm sure you did this, but did you configure GUIStudioMDL's game paths? You have to define the EP1 and OB paths. They should be set to:

SourceSDK/bin/ep1/bin

and

SourceSDK/bin/orangebox/bin

Again though, if you're able to choose which game to compile the model for, then you've obviously done this. Hell it practically makes you do it when you first load the program up.

If you're getting a shit load of errors about missing files, try loading up SourceSDK if you can and refresh the SDK content and see if that fixes everything. Or try hitting Reset Game Configurations.
    :From old steam post

I dont know how to change it.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Refreshed sdk content..no, dont know how to. i got source SDK this year. Between februrary and may
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Refreshed sdk content..no, dont know how to. i got source SDK this year. Between februrary and may

When you first open up Source SDK, it's under "Utilities".
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    upload your stuff somewhere and I'll see if I can compile it. If so then somethings messed in your environment
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me try Chemical alia rel quick. I dont have anyplace to upload except devaint art but i think i can prep a .rar
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try taking the slashes out from the beginning

ex.
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\sniper"

$cdmaterials "models\player\items\sniper"
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need to edit your SMD with notepad++ and replace the first line IDST0 with IDST,
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragus, he'd need to do that to a .mdl if he was decompilling items, but here's he is trying to compile them
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical , mine is still refreshing.
    Pogo hold on, I want to lear what i did jacked so i can learn how to do it right
    Contrails, Same error still, bad command $cdmaterials
    Fragus, im compileing it.
    Contrails, yeah. What he ment.

Anyone know of another compiler?
    PS i have vista.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished refreshing source sdk,
    put .qc in studioMDL
    WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
    ERROR: missing all bones in file c:users\....furcap.smd
    WARNING: Leaking 1 elements.

I know theres 1 bip_head bone in the smd, and some jiggles, root\jiggle1\jiggle2\jiggle3 and i think a 4th jiggle. T_T

Im out for tonight, but keep commeting, ill get back to ya. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME, please recomment another compiler if you can.
    Hers my steam name, for IM, its faster,
    1Fort 2Fort Red Fort Blu Fort

BREAK THROUGH: My .smd files are 0 kb, ill try re-exporting them again. Keep at the help guys, refreshing sdk I think is working. Not quit done, but this is great.
    THANKS!
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished refreshing source sdk,
    put .qc in studioMDL
    WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
    ERROR: missing all bones in file c:users\....furcap.smd
    WARNING: Leaking 1 elements.

I know theres 1 bip_head bone in the smd, and some jiggles, root\jiggle1\jiggle2\jiggle3 and i think a 4th jiggle. T_T

Im out for tonight, but keep commeting, ill get back to ya. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME, please recomment another compiler if you can.
    Hers my steam name, for IM, its faster,
    1Fort 2Fort Red Fort Blu Fort

BREAK THROUGH: My .smd files are 0 kb, ill try re-exporting them again. Keep at the help guys, refreshing sdk I think is working. Not quit done, but this is great.
    THANKS!

Just trying to get a little more info on your problem...when you export, you do export the bones as well? And are they linked (if necessary)?

Also, in your sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin folder, is there a file called gameinfo.txt? If not, go into your ep1/bin folder, copy it, and paste one into your orange box bin. I think I had an error similar to this after one of the TF2 updates.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oaky, the bones are linked, like this

bip_head>root>jiggle1>jiggle2>jiggle3>jiggle4

I dont have any gameinfo.txt, but I do have gameconfig.txt
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SMD exporter for blender isnt working, python script error, its fine till it gets to initializing. Then it dies.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, my python script is broken for the smd exporter. Can I trust some one to export me a .smd from blender? I can export a few other file formats for yall.
    I've went through another exporter, and this one says "\xfc" isnt a character in ASCII. WTF. Why am I getting so many problems. What did I do wrong??
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stupis exporter doesnt like my hat. It exported something else just fine.
    This is what it says about my hat
    Attubute Error: Bones
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matbe try deleting bones and re rigging it?
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Select your mesh, hold shift and select the armature. go in file->export->SMD

Btw make sure the mesh is parented the the armature and that the mesh has the armature modifier. (if it says real-time just apply it to change it to the armature modifier).
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    just get 3ds max and use that. the smd exporter for it is flawless. otherwise you have to select everything you want to export in maya before it will work.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oaky, the bones are linked, like this

bip_head>root>jiggle1>jiggle2>jiggle3>jiggle4

I dont have any gameinfo.txt, but I do have gameconfig.txt

Look through your HL2 and Ep 1 bin folders, hopefully it's in there somewhere. You'll want to put it in your Orange Box bin folder, since that's where you're compiling to. Not having that in place is likely causing at least some of your problems.

Unfortunately, I use Max to export my .smds, so I'm not too sure about the other errors you're having. Good luck with it.
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try running every source game once.
    Especially Ep1
    Run source SDK once
    Also in source SDK update all content AFTER you run the games.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive deleted and rerigged, thats not it,
    its the file, not the exporter because it exported my bowie fine.
    I dont want to get 3ds max, it costs money.
    it was parented to armature, i used the from heat option in the corect order
    Still havent found that gameinfo.txt file, but i dont think its the problem.
    I olny have to source games, portal and team fortress.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. Everythings fine with the bowie except i dont know how to write a .qc file for it. Therefore compiling isnt working. Im trying to get it to replace the tibalmans shiv. heres the file for far, and this is just what I got done from modding the furcap file.
    $cd "C:\Users\ALEXIS\Desktop\TF2 Stuff\weapons\BowmansBowie"
    $modelname "models\weapons\c_models\c_wood_machete\c_wood_machete.mdl"
    $scale 1
    $body "body" bowie
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\sniper\BowmansBowie"
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone_1" -4.712 -9.009 -5.734 4.712 0.007 4.244
    // Model uses material "models\player\items\sniper\bowie.vmt"
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $illumposition 0.349 0.000 80.672
    $sequence idle "bowie_idle.smd" fps 30.00
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It still wont load mudule p4lib.dll
    now i have to hunt for that.
    GCFScape still cant read the team fortress 2 content file. It reads all of the other files. Ive refreshed source, reset my computer and have pretty much been ticked off over this whole thing.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iloveyouplz.gifI...I made a mdl! IM SO HAPPY, I found this forum, http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666421 so i did this,
    Nvm. I made an empty file in that destination with the same name and it now created something atleast. I'll see if this worked.
    And I looked in the file..and there it was! My bowie compiled!
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOOK_THERE_IT_IS_by_triforcebrawler.jpg
    HO SHIZ I GOT IT IN THE HALF LIFE MODEL VIEWER! I CANT BELIEVE I DID IT! Now to fix the texture....

Just because I did this doesnt mean we're done here, I still cant get furcap working. Im happy for now.

Note: While playing in game with it, it appears as a tinny textureless item. so small. so very small. Like a flee sized thing. Going to go change the scale.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed scale, and know snipes doesnt hold it in his hand. It floats about the length of a scout behind him...help?
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed scale, and know snipes doesnt hold it in his hand. It floats about the length of a scout behind him...help?

You can adjust the scale and position pretty simply by importing the weapon it's based off of for a reference, and placing your weapon in its position before exporting it. If it's a hat, you'll need to have your model rigged to the bone for the character's head and use the $bonemerge command in your .qc file.

As for the textures, I noticed that your .qc didn't specify the actual .vmts. You might want to try this:
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
        { "<skin_0>" }
        { "<skin_1>" }
    }

• 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The item in blender is scaled and positioned properly, but wth ill give it a try. thanks for the textue thing, youve helped alot!
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The item in blender is scaled and positioned properly, but wth ill give it a try. thanks for the textue thing, youve helped alot!

I had to go through all of this frustration when I did my first .qcs, which were for characters. I know it's such a pain, so I'm happy to help out other people as much as possible. Anyway, you should try the $bonemerge <bone> command. What that does is find the bone in your model and the original model that have the same name (presumably the head) and merge them into the same position.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww, shucks, Im glad your so nice, I really apprecaite this. I know Ill pass the info along.
    Oh, I forgot about bone merge. Well, the good thing is, I got the knife facing the right way, hes just holding the blade instead of the handle, otherwise its good. BTW, I dont think I did the texture command right.

$texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "models\player\items\sniper\bowie.vmt" }

}
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww, shucks, Im glad your so nice, I really apprecaite this. I know Ill pass the info along.
    Oh, I forgot about bone merge. Well, the good thing is, I got the knife facing the right way, hes just holding the blade instead of the handle, otherwise its good. BTW, I dont think I did the texture command right.

Hmm, you actually might not need that if you don't have multiple skins for the model. Lol. Although, when textures don't show up, there could be a lot of reasons for it.

In Max, for example, you have to have the .tga's applied in a multi-sub object when you export. I'm not sure what software you're using, so the steps are probably different. But make sure the textures you have on the model when you export it are the ones you are using in your game folders.

Also, you can rotate the bones if you need to. I had to do that with the medals with my female TF2 models, so that I could put them wherever I wanted and have them face the right way.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The textures still arent showing up :( sadface

Hmmm, I have the TGA applied in blender. Lemme see what I can do.

I did rotate em, the only problem now is that the knife hangs down a bit buut I think I just fixed that.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The textures still arent showing up :( sadface

Hmmm, I have the TGA applied in blender. Lemme see what I can do.

I did rotate em, the only problem now is that the knife hangs down a bit buut I think I just fixed that.

Can you post your .vmt?
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The data inside, sure, no prob,
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "Users/ALEXIS/Desktop/TF2 Stuff/weapons/BowmansBowie/bowie"
    "$surfaceprop" "Metal"
    }

Ooohhhh. I see....I shoulda put it to direct to matirials....I think thats where your going.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it should be something like this

"$basetexture" "model/weapons/c_models/bowie/bowie.vtf" (adding .vtf is not neccessary)

and make sure you put the bowie.vtf in C:/program files/steam/steamapps/accountnamedur/team fortress/tf/material/model/weapons/c_models/bowie/
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! Thanks pally!
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oka, now that the thing is in game, it doesnt want to be moved in snipers hand, i've got these clipping issues. Meh. Not only that but it doesnt want to put on the texture.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rotate it 90 degrees, and align
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...I'll try that but I don't think it will work. Aligning this thing is a pain in my butt. I'm working on fixing the required things now. I guess I'll leave the compilning to valve. If they really like my stuff then they'll do it but i'm a bit doubt full. Any way, the dang thing doesnt want to stay sraight, it flips around while sniper swings it and clips through his hand. Its cuttently connected to weapon_bone but if you suggest a different bone, I'll give it a whirl.
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Try importing the normal kukri and compare how it's rigged is setup. I know there were some occasions where the bone that I thought should have been assigned to my model ended up being the wrong and ended up making things look crazy.

What program are you rigging with?