Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning handpainted textures

Hey all,

After seeing this thread I really wanted to get in to "Hand Painted" textures. So I started and made this one basing of the tutorial:

rockys.jpg

As you can see it's not that good and really misses rock definition, any tips on how to do that?

So here is my second attempt:

brickwall1copy.jpg

And my thirth attempt:

woodenplankstiledcopyco.jpg

If you have any tutorials/tips please let me know on how to improve my skills! And ofcourse let me know what you think!

Zylex

Replies

• Zylex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another attempt:
    wut1.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top two and the latest one look great! Nice work I think you have stone and brick pretty much down.

The wood I'm not too excited about.
    I think you applied too much of what you know about brick and mortar to wood.
    - The edges of the boards are beveled and worn individually as if they haven't been next to each other since being laid down?
    - the nails seem to be laid out more like rivets than flooring nails. SOne nail per board might help. Considering metal and nails are typically high value items in old world construction you wouldn't waste them unless you really needed them.
    - Typically flooring is laid out over a series of beams that are spaced out. The nails have to go in specific places to hit the beams. Modern sub flooring and plywood weren't around until the industrial revolution so hitting the beams was pretty important and your nails should hit some kind of underlying structural pattern.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1102823
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71221&highlight=hand+painted+textures&page=2
  • Zylex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply Vig! I will definately retry that wood texture with your comments! I also tried an attempt at making grass but I have absolutely no clue how to do it properly.. here's my result:

grassq.png
    It's probably a bit too crispy.

Oh and this was a attempt on a small dirt texture for a game like minecraft but then with better block graphics.
    dirt.png
  • Zylex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a cobblestone texture today:

cobblestonecopy.png
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    great stuff.. keep it going! :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Recently did an art test doing hand painted textures and here are a few things i noticed learning hand painted textures myself:

-Lighting is very important, since hand painted textures generally go in games that don't use normal mapping, high poly counts, or even specs, it's important to paint in the illusion of depth, and you can't do this without thinking about a light source and ambient lighting. Think of your material, how its highlights will look, how the warm colors will affect it. Looking at your textures now they seem a bit flat, as if sitting outside on an overcast day with no lighting information.

-Hue Variance. Hand painted textures have a whimsical quality to 'em, lots of color variance, like i was saying about the lighting above, you're going to want a fairly large pallet.

-Character. Nearly all hand painted textures have cracks, wood grains, whatever. This is where you put the life in the texture, get a little creative and jazz it up a touch by adding that touch of artistic craftiness. I'd recommend looking around on google, look at childrens books, that sorta thing to see what gives wood, stone, etc life in these things. Oh and looking at WOW and Torchlight doesn't hurt either ;)

Here's a hand painted wood texture i made, might give you some ideas:

Wood.jpg
  • Zylex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply guys!

Great study Crazyfingers, I guess your right about all the stuff! Now I only have to find out how to do this properly;) I hope I did better at this attempt:

ornamentq.png

Not so sure about the colors though, what do you think?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    It looks like you used a bevel and emboss filter on the brick, generally I think it should be painted in and the grass is suffering from what looks like a sharpen filter on something that could use some defined contrast of shapes :ie: clumps of grass...

You are doing some good stuff though. JFletcher's tutorial does a good job at the step by step, but at the risk of making all hand painted textures look the same, i would suggest using it as a base...good stuff though.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    all your cracks are the same, on all these textures. i guess when you say 'hand painted' you mean a wow/torchlight kind of look, so they should remain a little two-tone and simple, but black Y + white highlight isn't working well for you. it doesn't take much time to sketch out some individual cracks on each piece, thinking about how it would break and why that crack would be there. on your latest piece, you shade the beige color with a very nice saturated brown/tan, but then you have cracks that seem to just use a black, and seem very 'on top' of the rest of the painting - they don't interact with anything. I see this problem across all of your textures.

these are coming along well, and each one is an improvement. keep it up.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    on your brick texture the light is obviously coming from the top left, normally with textures like this, I think about how its going to be used and where the light is going to be at. Its obviously outside, but I would make it so the light is coming directly from above or equally on the sides and a little bit more on top, it allows you to flip the textures more to break up repeats, and you don't have to worry about the lighting looking weird or off if the sun is one way, but the lighting on the texture is the other way.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    realyl nice man. almost inspires me to give it a go :D
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when I think hand painted textures, I'm thinking you're aiming for something of a blizzard-y look. With that in mind, one of the first things you should avoid is using any black. Color is also extremely important in hand painted textures. Instead of choosing just a darker or lighter shade of the color for highlights and shadows, you should consider varying their hues. As to how you choose the color, it's really situational and the most I can say with that is study real world reference. Just try pulling up a photo texture and use the color picker to study the hues.

You've definitely got a solid start though :)
  • Zylex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a busy week but I gave another go at a handpainted texture:

tilecopy.jpg

Thanks for all your comments! I tried to interact the cracks some more into the texture and it's better but i'm not there yet. Also I find my stone pretty boring, how can I define the stone more?
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    I'm terrible at words, so if you don't mind, I did some paintover.

handpainttiles.jpg

this still need lots of work, but in general, something like this.
  • Zylex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Linkov! I noticed that your paintover looks alot cleaner than mine. Perhaps I'm trying too hard to define it my stone and scratches. I see what you mean and I'll try to go more in that direction!
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zylex, this is not about painting cleaner textures, although its one of the defining properties for handpainted textures I guess. Its more about WHAT you paint.

So far, all your textures here look like:

- um, ok. if I scratch here, then I think it should look like crack. maybe.

You don't think. You need to know. If you don't know, find out. Use google, or go to the oldest subway station in your city, sit there for hours, stare at all cracks on the floor you can find. (Well, at least thats what I find myself doing sometimes :) )

Also, you still using black. Don't. True black is nowhere to be found in nature, therefore its pretty unnatural. Its also creates unwanted contrast in your textures, which is common for photosourced textures, but is no-no in all this handpainted business.

If you got it somehow in your texture, get rid of it. Paint over or whatever, just remove it. It makes your textures look dirty, in a way you don't want it to be dirty.

Don't use dodge and burn. This is fairly common advice for digital painting, and in fact, its kinda overrated, but both dodge and burn are friends with your lazyness. Instead of choosing colors for your shadows or highlights, you let automated tools do the trick for you, and you end up with flat (colorwise) and boring textures. Some day you will find these tools useful in certain cases, but not now.

Don't use photo-overlays. Use photos as references, but never overlay them over handpainted textures. At least if you want it to be still handpainted :)

Exaggerate your details. Don't paint some 3x4 pixels crack and call it done. Even if it looks like crack, with that size, its one of the details you don't bother to paint. Therefore achieving cleaner and stylish look.

Learn something about how light works. Direct light, bouncing light, etc. Maintain your lightsource position for each element of your texture, unless you painting something specific, like self-illuminated texture.

Study materials. Handpainted or not, marble and asphalt still cracks differently. Same for reflective properties.
  • Zylex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for you help Linkov. I noted all your comments and I hope I did better this time:

tile2copy.png
    It's still not great, but definitely getting where I want to be!
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats better for sure, but I forgot to mention color in my previous post. Your colors kinda wierd. The only ones that I like, is for the brick texture in your first post.

The yellow bits in your previous texture and blue in this texture look almost like glow or something. Glowing isn't very common for stone :)

I don't know for sure, but it looks like you painting grayscale and then overlaying color on top? Well, don't do it. Mixing color isn't simple, but start doing it as soon as you can, because this grayscale + color will turn into a hard-dying habit pretty quick. There is nothing wrong with it, I know some people who doing quite amazing things that way, but I also think that dealing directly with colors is more productive.

Anyway, if you afraid to paint in colors yet, at least don't use overlay mode (if you using it at all). Its modifying your color, you don't want it. Use Color mode instead.

Another thing to consider, is that colors are affected by surrounding objects and their colors, also your imaginary lightsource also affects highlight colors. There is no way to tell what you had in mind when painting your texture, but you can use that to achieve various results.

You can make your texture look more dark and gloomy simple by changing your light temperature, without messing too much with its contents.

Another thing with your stones is that cloudy feel. I don't know what you doing, but it looks almost like you using some sort of cloud filter to imitate stone facture. If thats the case, or maybe if you doing it by hand, you might want to consider of not doing it anymore.

It works almost like a heightmap. Lighter colors appear to be higher than darker colors. You won't get that much height difference in one stone tile really. Add to that your cracks, painted without any regard to these 'height' differences, and they're almost floating above, effectively ruining all your hard work.

Read this great tutorial by Niklas Jansson

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I too, have begun an interest in hand painting textures!
    I'm pretty sure you can notice which stones are mine. I started with the brown, then the blue, and most recently the green.
    I used the darker brown stuff as a reference.
    Edit: I've got no idea how to make mortar. how do? :poly122:
    JCMyo.png