TF2 - Polypack - unfinite

Latest image:

nDMZh.png

Finished:

6dmHe.png

PIUUH.png

883gM.png

Original post:

Hockey themed pack for the heavy (since he's Russian). Right now for ideas I've got an old 60's goalie mask (possibly a misc item, since you could still wear it with a hat), and some old hockey gloves to replace the KGB. I still need a hockey themed idea to replace the shotgun/minigun/sandvich. Got any?

WJtH9.png

M6zUm.jpg

OkJnY.jpg

I like the two-toned gloves better. I'll probably do them in team colors.

Replies

• Karkasmolenklok
    Minigun with a plexiglass shield. It could have some duct-tape touches and cracks for extra flavor.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somethin' to do with the plexiglass.

edit: Oh gosh darn plexiglass-mind
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Psyke wrote: »
    somethin' to do with the plexiglass.

edit: Oh gosh darn plexiglass-mind
    hi5
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just thinking, the goalie mask is going to get in the way of the sandvich. Does that sound like it would be a problem? Solutions could be to have it flipped up all the time, but I don't think that would look as good, or to animate it when he eats. Or maybe it could disable the sandvich, but who would want that? Or maybe I can cut a hole in the front for him to eat through, like:

pWVww.jpg

I like the dots better though. Maybe something like this would work instead:

mLE99.png

It's from the 80's and for skateboarding but it looks like it could be from the 60's for hockey so it still fits the style.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just have it flip up when he equips the Sandvich like the Hotrod flips down when Engy has toolbox out. The dots are best for the theme.
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hockey helmet would look better.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Just have the mask flip up like the hot rod
  • skullman86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A short barreled, semi-auto shotgun of some sort with a bayonet borrowed from an ice skate? You could use laces and tape to hold the blade in place.

ice-skating-holland-netherlands-molentocht-almgrens-strap-on-blade.jpg

sandvich

ice-cream_sandwich.jpg
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've scrapped the goalie mask. I didn't want to have to change the shape just so that it could flip up. I'm doing the helmet instead.

Right now my poly count is too high and I've still got details to add, so the mesh is going to be cut down quite a bit. This is what I've got so far.

9CJ33.png
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a really quick update. Nobody's even replied to my last one yet. Cut the polygon count down. I thought it'd still be way over but was shocked to see to exactly 800 triangles.

I gave the padding a little character, but the helmet's still missing something. Maybe I just need to texture it, but I think a dent or something might be cool. I'd also really like to add some straps, but I'm already at 800 tris. (how loose are these limits? think I can make some straps?)

n4lMG.png
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unfinite wrote: »
    I've scrapped the goalie mask. I didn't want to have to change the shape just so that it could flip up. I'm doing the helmet instead.

Right now my poly count is too high and I've still got details to add, so the mesh is going to be cut down quite a bit. This is what I've got so far.

9CJ33.png

Anything that isn't effecting shilouette just merge. Or merge the ends on the inside of curves.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs some form of branding, a company logo or something. a little more wear and tear would be good. along the indentation lines mostly
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    needs some form of branding, a company logo or something. a little more wear and tear would be good. along the indentation lines mostly

I haven't started to texture. I'm planning on normal-mapping some stitches onto it as well as the expected brush strokes and wear. I still need to unwrap.

Does anyone know how many smoothing groups I can have? I think I'm using 1 through 6 right now. Otherwise I'm gonna have to normal map some more stuff.

And also, I figure I can put a team logo on the helmet. Any clever team names?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heavy Hockey Hooligans?
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Heavy Hockey Hooligans?
    I was thinking something for each team. A red team name and blue team name. The helmet and gloves are going to be team colors.

Here are some companies already in tf2 for inspiration: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/List_of_companies

Also, I'm thinking of some kind of icy hockey puck launcher as a shotty replacement. It'll have an frosty valve coming off a nitrogen tank and hockey tape on the grips. I'll try and draw something up today.

[edit] Or maybe hockey pucks would be too much of a change and I should just stick with a cold shotgun with hockey grips.
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added the plastic strap things on the side. The bumped my tri count up 90 a piece, so I went around and managed to get everything down to 872 tris. Do you guys think 872 is fine or should I get it down lower?

[edit] 836!! That should be fine, right? On to unwrapping and texturing?

KqgRq.png
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Said it before- don't worry too much about tris other than simplifying where you can. Don't delete good details that you need for the sake of tris. The samurai soldier hat is a loooot of tri and it got in BECAUSE it looks so good.

Probably go with the cold shotgun with normal shells. Maybe have a hockey puck incorporated somehow? One with a hole drilled through it hanging from a strap on the barrel?
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright cool. I'll go back to the 872 model. The changes I made are hardly noticeable, but I'd rather keep the detail. Onto unwrapping.
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, you should probably be good.
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done some textures. I dunno if I'm buying the black scuffs; I think I'll get rid of them or try again. I'm gonna try and get this in the game next. So far I've just been screen capping from max. I'd like to see what my materials look like with the proper lighting.

Any comments would be appreciated.

BgwvB.png

gifVi.png
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the red you're using is much stronger than the red that already appears on the heavy model. See how it looks the same colour as his shirt?
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    the red you're using is much stronger than the red that already appears on the heavy model. See how it looks the same colour as his shirt?

That's cause I'm using a DirectX shader on the Heavy, and just standard max materials on the helmet. In my textured version, I 've used a red halfway between the red from the scout's helmet and the red on dispensers. It should look fine once I get it in the game. If not, I can always adjust it a little afterwards.

Here's an updated set of scuffs. I like these ones better, but I'm still not sure about them in general. Maybe I'll just have one, cause how many times does the puck actually hit a helmet, if ever?

DyaFV.png
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how many times does a bullet hit an helmet?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    No one hits heavy's head, is too small.
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get the model to compile properly. It's not finding the textures. I followed the fpsbanana tutorial exactly, but with my own model. I set up the vmt pointing the the vtf of my texture. I set the qc to point to the vmt's directory. The model opens in the game and modelviewer, but I have pink checkerboard as my texture.

I've gone over the vmt and qc files again and again. Could the problem have occurred when I exported from Max? Or is it maybe something I did in MilkShape? Can this problem even happen at that point?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't get the model to compile properly. It's not finding the textures. I followed the fpsbanana tutorial exactly, but with my own model. I set up the vmt pointing the the vtf of my texture. I set the qc to point to the vmt's directory. The model opens in the game and modelviewer, but I have pink checkerboard as my texture.

I've gone over the vmt and qc files again and again. Could the problem have occurred when I exported from Max? Or is it maybe something I did in MilkShape? Can this problem even happen at that point?

probably the exporting from max, open up your smd in notepad++, or something and see which texture it references
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the idea of the helmet. People will find it to be protective headgear that a "special" person would wear. It fits the heavy because he isn't the brightest individual in the world.
    special-ed.jpg
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pogo wrote: »
    probably the exporting from max, open up your smd in notepad++, or something and see which texture it references

In the smd I exported from Max it's looking for my diffuse.tga.
    In the smd I exported from MilkShape it says default.bmp a lot.

Shouldn't compiling with the known location of a vtf overwrite any texture?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the smd I exported from Max it's looking for my diffuse.tga.
    In the smd I exported from MilkShape it says default.bmp a lot.

Shouldn't compiling with the known location of a vtf overwrite any texture?

what happens is the engine looks for default.vmt or diffuse.vmt (depending on what it's called) so if it can't find it, it decides the texture doesn't exist.
    either find/replace or export it again with the correctly named diffuse
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting an error in model viewer. It has the path right, and the files are there, but for some reason it cant find them.

J5YVG.png

These are my qc and vmt files. I started with the simple vmt from the tutorial, but when it didn't work, I just copied one from the game files and swapped out my the location of the vtf. Do you see any glaring errors? I've tried every combination of slashes and backslashes, nothing works.

VmGXT.png

5SL59.png

I don't like the way the tf2 style viewport shader looks, so I'd like to get it into model viewer so I can tweak my textures.

Mz8Ck.png
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "hockey_helmet_red" }
    { "hockey_helmet_blue" }
    }

ie no tabs, no extentions or paths
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. Still doesn't work.
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured it out. Turns out, since the file name I used for my diffuse texture in max was "diffuse_red.bmp" it was adding that to my smd, which was then being added to my compiled mdl. I decompiled my compiled mdl and saw that the qc file had added diffuse_red.vmt all over.
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
     {
         {"diffuse_red.vmt"
      "hockey_helmet_red.vmt"
     }
          {"diffuse_red.vmt"
      "hockey_helmet_blue.vmt"
     }
      }
     $hboxset "default"
     $hbox 0 "bip_head" -5.807  -23.053  -9.180  6.550  0.000  6.204
     // Model uses material "diffuse_red.vmt"
     // Model uses material "hockey_helmet_red.vmt"
     // Model uses material "hockey_helmet_blue.vmt"

So all I had to do was make a copy of hockey_helmet_red.vmt and rename it diffuse_red.vmt and it works!

NywFs.png

I noticed that the SMD didn't preserve any of my smoothing groups. Is there a way to fix that?

Ga9pD.png
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see that It imports into MilkShape with the normal directions from the smoothing groups, but as soon as I move or rotate it to place it where it's supposed to be, the normals all reset.
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured it out on my own again. There's a checkbox in MilkShape under Groups, at the bottom: Auto Smooth. I had to uncheck that. Now it doesn't clear the smoothing groups when I move or rotate.

6dmHe.png

PIUUH.png

883gM.png
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I brightened the textures to the same red and blue used in the heavy's football helmet. Before it was closer to the batters helm or the dispensers. Better or worse?

CDk2J.png

hPxty.png

Anyways, this is the last of the helmet. It's either the one texture or the other. I'm moving onto ZBrush for the gloves.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the darker helmet personally. Looks more plastic-y.
  • unfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what I'll be bringing into ZBrush:

nDMZh.png