Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Ekranoplan - crazy russian waterplane

Hi guys,

Started this thing a while back but haven't had time to work on it much lately. Just started up again and thought a WIP thread might help keep me motivated. Progress will probably be reeeeallly slow, sorry, too much work during the day and I'm usually pretty tired by the time I get to work on my own stuff. I promise to finish eventually though!

The reference can be found here http://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html.

s1024x768.jpg

The reference is amazing and I really can't thank the photographer enough. He's pretty much my hero.

So far I've just roughly blocked in the main shapes and have started detailing some areas that I felt like detailing, no real plan yet and none of the areas I've started on are finished. I'll probably try to nail down the body shape next so I don't run into too many problems with attaching things to it later.

The thing is gigantic and I'm not patient enough to line up images right now, so I'm sure I'll have some accuracy issues. Feel free to point them out and I'll do my best to fix them. All suggestions and critiques are more than welcome, of course.

Thanks for looking!

waterplane_20100608_whole.JPG

waterplane_20100608_cabin.JPG

waterplane_20100608_engines_front.JPG

waterplane_20100608_engines_back.JPG

Replies

• The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. I've had that photo set as my desktop background for a few weeks and all of your details are spot on.
    It could just be the angle of your render but I think you've modelled the nose a bit wide. In the photos it seems to taper in more.

And are you going to build this as if it where new? or make it look like in the photos, in all its rust glory?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    thats sick! but the nose does look kinda ridiculous.

make sure, when you render it, you make it like your ref (to make it look big). because your perspective render is making it look normal size.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    So its an airplane that cant fly unless its on water? crazy russians...

cool thing to model though :D good luck!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, nice work. That is indeed a 'crazy Russian waterplane.' How many hours have you put into that model so far?

Do you plan on taking it the distance?

Good luck! :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    what was the designer of this plane smoking? i want some.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool choice of reference, looks like a great start :)

Are you planning on texturing it like the dilapidated one, or doing a proper functioning clean-ish version?
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    This is awesome! I want this thing finished! I love this thing. First thing I thought was like 'Finally someone does that thing!'
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!

The Flying Monk - Thanks, I agree about the nose, I'll revisit the whole body next. I've mainly been putting it off because the whole body shape is probably the most important thing to get right and therefore will drive me the craziest. It's also a little confusing because in his ref he seems to be switching lenses between about 28mm and 110mm, so what I should really do is make some image planes and model to them, but I'm not sure I'll go that route. The plan is to eventually make it more beat up and rusty like the ref.

roosterMAP - I agree, ridiculous nose! I'll take another look and mess with the fov on my render camera as I work on the body/nose more.

motives - Haha, yeah, I think it only flies a few feet above water. Pretty interesting vehicle for sure. Thanks for the luck!

brandoom - Not sure how many hours so far, I never really know but I do know that I've been particularly slow so far on this one. I don't typically have time to work on stuff until around 11pm and lately I've been getting more tired than normal. Hard to get in a groove. For example, the past 3 days or so I've been detailing the back of the engine area (last render above), but it has only taken that long because it happens while I'm reading stuff online, eating, and thinking about getting ready for sleep! I'll definitely finish though, hopefully I can pick up speed on it soon.

Alberto Rdrgz - Check out other stuff on that livejournal I posted, the Russians have come up with some of the most awesome, crazy looking military vehicles ever.

MoP - Thanks! I think I'll go for dilapidated with a mudbox pass on all of the paneling at the end, but we'll see if it's worth it at that point. Already having a bit of a tough time deciding what to model in and what to leave out and I haven't even started on paneling yet. It's so big that it's really going to get out of hand polycount-wise, but I think I'm ok with that as long as my computer gives me its blessing :p

acapulco - I'll finish it for you one day! Promise! :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That kicks ass! I was wondering how long it would take before someone picked up that thing.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    it's pretty much the sickest man made device ever.
    Caspian sea monster
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Harry wrote: Ā»
    it's pretty much the sickest man made device ever.
    Caspian sea monster
    +1

Always been fascinated by these :thumbup:
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <3 russian engineering

Can't wait to see more of this :D
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that thing is REAL!? ... rad subject!
  • skullsplitter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
    This craft is based around the Wing In Ground effect, pretty much a jet powered hovercraft on acid, loved it since I first seen it for it's radical different approach in design.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty awesome man. I love the sheer massive feel of it all. Really can't wait to see this textured.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    wow it is crazy..

hah

nice modeling so far!
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the kind words guys.

Lonewolf - hey man! We've worked together, a long time ago through MB. I checked some of your new stuff out, looks great!

So I know I said this was going to be slow progress, but it's been even slower than expected. Been too busy, but had some more time to work on this over the weekend and messed with the body shape a bit more, started adding odds and ends randomly, but there's no real order to anything yet and pretty much all of the areas I've started aren't done.

I attached the engines to the body, but that'll need some massaging yet to get right, plus there are a few shapes that need to be cut out of that thing.

I narrowed the front end and tapered the nose more, hopefully it's closer to being correct now? Also made the engines smaller. I haven't messed with focal length to match images. I lined up one side shot to make sure my proportions are more or less right, but otherwise I'm just eyeballing it.

Here are a couple shots of the progress, sorry it's not further along yet! 2 more years and I'll be done!

waterplane_20100621_whole.JPG

waterplane_20100621_close.JPG

This dash area looks a bit sparse, but hopefully when it's done with the rest of the protruding elements and paneling/rivets it'll hold up this close. It's gigantic though so we'll see.

waterplane_20100621_dash.JPG

Still need to add some internals to the engine backs, but started working on the connection with the body.

waterplane_20100621_engines.JPG
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Loving this!

I wouldn't have the balls to model this myself.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slooooooooooooow progress.

Started detailing the engine tops, worked a little more on the front end, but not much. I'd say the front 1/4 is about 50% done now? Started throwing rivets around but haven't decided how many I'll end up with. Haven't touched the back 3/4 anymore since the last update. Not enough time :(

I'm aware of scale issues with the detail, some of which i'm planning to fix, some of which I'm probably going to give into in the spirit of actually finishing this thing at some point. But please feel free to point out problems, I promise to fix as much as I can.

waterplane_20100712_close.jpg

waterplane_20100712_enginetop.jpg
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Insane work dude, and the scale of this thing is gianormous! like the plating on the wings! One question, what the hell are the cylinders on the its back?
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe gastanks?
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    One question, what the hell are the cylinders on the its back?

Missile launchers.

Ground effect vehicles are very interesting IMO. You're off to a very good start with the modelling. Hope you finish it up :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badass! You've done it beautiful justice already, nice job. Any plans to do materials or is this beast going to suck you dry just getting the modeling finished?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool progress, Chris! It's a massive project and I really hope you find the energy to finish it, it's a killer piece! :)
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Yup, they're missile launchers. Pretty insane.

Vig - Thanks man. I go back and forth in my head pretty often on whether or not I'm going to do a lowres and textures. I'd like to, but I'm trying not to skimp on detail and it may get out of hand. When I find a balance hopefully it'll allow for a cool "low" res that is actually the poly count of a level.

MoP - Thanks :) I hope I finish it too! Though I'm going to China for a couple weeks and it won't even open on my laptop, so no progress for a little bit :(
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the super duper long delay. Spent a while in China and have been really busy, but getting back into this thing now. Not a whole lot of progress, but trying to make sure everything holds up up-close (it doesn't yet, but will!).

I still promise to finish one day :p

waterplane_20101016_side.jpg

waterplane_20101016_side_close.jpg

waterplane_20101016_fins.jpg

waterplane_20101016_front.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Oh Snap! You're back! Loving it, keep going!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    holy,, i couldnt keep my mouth shut great modelling ! <_<
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea! I love the detailing around the door, you weren't kidding when you said didn't want to skimp on the details.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Love that this thread didnt die, i was wondering where it went to.

Awesome details man!

question tho, does this thing even fly? lol
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    3D-209 that is looking great! Your modeling is very clean and easy to read.
    Did that plane ever actually fly??!! Such a bizzare design!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    question tho, does this thing even fly? lol
    Yep but it would fly just above the water using the extra lift it gets from flying so low, to lift its giant frame out of the water.

http://www.moscowtopnews.com/?area=postView&id=886

"What if we put jets on a boat?"
    "What if we put wings on the jet boat?"
    "What if we make it really big?"
    "What if we put giant ship busting missiles on it?"
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    so its more of a hover craft then? Crazy! Still, 3D-209's hp modeling of it is looking fabulous so far :D
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. There are things that I know are off, but I'm trying to ignore most of them in an attempt to finish at some point. Let me know if you see anything that bothers you in particular.

Thanks for that link, Vig. Here's a video where it looks like some of those images are from. There are a few variations, but this one shows up at about 3:00 and you get to see it move at 4:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT7ewylPlAQ&feature=related#t=03m00s

edit: don't know why it took me this long to realize it, but the paneling behind the tubes are flame retardant for missile launches. Pretty crazy design.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Ekrano plans are the coolest wartime concept ever :)! Fly under the radars at super fast speeds with many times the lift of a conventional aircraft. Imagine trying to hit this sucker with aa guns or a missiles.

You are doing a great job here mate.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    oh snap. that looks fun to model. i will follow this thread for moar.
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, lots of images. Had some time to wrap this up over the holiday. Calling the highres done. I'd like to refine some areas a bit more but the file is getting to be annoying to work with and I'm a bit tired of looking at it for now. :)

Here's a giant-res version of the full side-front shot.

waterplane_20110102_topback.jpgwaterplane_20110102_fullfront.jpgwaterplane_20110102_fullback.jpgwaterplane_20110102_overwing.jpgwaterplane_20110102_twingdoor.jpgwaterplane_20110102_overflaps.jpgwaterplane_20110102_wingflaps.jpgwaterplane_20110102_back.jpgwaterplane_20110102_backclose.jpgwaterplane_20110102_finbase.jpgwaterplane_20110102_tailwing.jpgwaterplane_20110102_tailwinghatch.jpgwaterplane_20110102_frontmid.jpgwaterplane_20110102_topcabin.jpgwaterplane_20110102_enginetop.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Wow,

that is some serious dedication. Congrats on getting this far :P

Looking forward to more :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    FUCK THAT!! Placing all those rivets... Are you insane?

Awesome work mate!!!
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming on awesomely, I probably would have hung myself before I reached that.
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    nice work ! and this is very hardly work

XOPOWO CDELANO TOBAPNW (COMRADE)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... now its even more impressive than it was.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truly inspiring... I'd also like to know more about the rivets - you couldn't have done all of them by hand???
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    This is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    i need to know, how many polygons?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy crap, this is awesome!
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!!

The rivets drove me a little crazy at times, I didn't really plan on doing them but seemed to keep adding more whenever I felt like an area was getting close to done. Some are placed by hand with Modo's tack tool (select rivet, click on surface you want to snap it to).

Most of the dense areas were done with the clone/array tools with the help of the work plane to get the right angle. If you're not familiar with Modo's work plane, basically you have the ability to temporarily move world space to any angle (and anywhere) you want. For example, you can highlight a face and set your work plane to it, which makes your transform tools and orthographic cameras work as if that face is 0,0,0 in your scene with the up axis perpendicular to the face. It's similar to what you can do with action centers, but a bit more robust because it works better with certain tools (clone) and it keeps the world orientation set that way until you want to change it again.

For most areas I'd create a square polygon and place/clone it in whatever pattern was needed (pretty simple with the help of work planes, though sometimes weird curvature makes it trickier and tacking them by hand is the way to go). Once I had a bunch of small square polys hovering over the area I wanted them, I could move them all locally downward with a geometry constraint on (prevents geo from moving through other geo) until they rested exactly on the surface underneath. Then extrude them all out a few millimeters and you've got a bunch of half-boxes that work as rivets when smoothed x2. For certain areas I could do a couple thousand rivets at a time like this, though there's no practical reason to ever make this many rivets I guess.
    i need to know, how many polygons?

My stats list says there are 2.8 million tris in the scene when nothing is smoothed for rendering, but the render stats say it's rendering about 65 million when everything's double-smoothed (which doesn't add up). I've always been a bit confused by modo's poly counts so I don't really know which one is right. I haven't been very efficient though, and there are quite a few too many rivets, so I don't think there's as much going on as that poly count suggests.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Ya good pick.

SHE MIGHT FLY AGAIN!

:)

Its cool to see you just go off on that thing.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    To all the people asking about whether it can fly, try to think of it as an obscenely fast (almost 300 knots, modern destroyers go around 30 knots) destroyer. It served as a naval ship rather than an airforce thing. The missiles are anti-ship missiles and would absolutely ruin just about anything's shit. And it could easilly outrun a torpedo. Can't speak for how effective an anti ship missile would be against it, but I imagine it would fair better than something traveling 30 knots.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    "majestic"? is this word of justice? good stuff 3D-209! and welcome back.