Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 Polypack - TheDjinn

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
TheDjinn polycounter lvl 7
So...a few roughs of my proposed Sentry idea. The guns need a bit of clean-up, the connecting pieces need more definition, and the ammo belts and base need to be added, but I wanted to get a few ideas.

The concept is a quick set-up sentry: the base will be a few supports coming out of the Engineer's Toolbox, which will be remodeled to one of those with the sliding tops. The tops will slide open and down, forming a stable base, and the sentry will rise up from it.

Upgrade animations (if I could do them) are pieces of the sentry sliding out and unfolding, rather than the construction nature of the existing sentry. It's to emphasize the relative simplicity of this sentry...ideally, it would construct faster and possibly be portable, at the expense of less ammo and/or less health.

And now, some images. Sorry for the shoddy quality, but I didn't want to bother with refined pictures at this stage.

Thoughts, comments, critique, advice, and suggestions are all appreciated!

-The Djinn

Level 1
Sentry1Front.jpg
Sentry1Bottom.jpg
Sentry1Side.jpg

Level 2

Sentry2Side.jpg
Sentry2Side2.jpg
Sentry2Top.jpg

Level 3
Sentry3Angled.jpg
Sentry3Front.jpg
Sentry3Side.jpg

Replies

• TheDjinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, getting this back on the first page for some comments.

Secondly, I've also been toying with a few Medic ideas, running off an antiquities theme. I'll write it them up here, and see which people would be more interested in.

Melee: Either a truly old-fashioned surgical saw or an over-sized and slightly rusty knee-reflex hammer.

Medigun: A medigun like device will complex glasswork, possibly full of various liquids. Drawing inspiration from things like this:

ombredanne-anaesthetic-mask-101.jpg

Hat: A German Medic's belt, turned into a headband.

hommedia.ashx?id=9569&size=Small

So...run with this, or stick with the Sentry?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    go with the medic

too many people doing engie stuff

you'd have a better chance with medic
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, I've seen some rad medic stuff that would be pretty hard to compete with; you at least have a start on an engie update so i'd run with the sentry.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, I've seen some rad medic stuff that would be pretty hard to compete with; you at least have a start on an engie update so i'd run with the sentry.

I agree with this, in some respects the medic contest is over saturated with good content.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Your sentry is looking pretty good, and it's a nice variation on an already strong theme (I'd do machine guns that aren't gatling guns on it just to give it variety, but that's just me, it looks good either way)

The medic belt looks like it has more potential as a miscellaneous item than a headband.
  • TheDjinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your sentry is looking pretty good, and it's a nice variation on an already strong theme (I'd do machine guns that aren't gatling guns on it just to give it variety, but that's just me, it looks good either way)

Good point. Sticking with this one for now, then. I also haven't seen any other sentry designs, so I guess that's a point in my favor.

And I'll definitely consider the non-gatling gun approach. I'm going to have to figure out what fits the profile first, which I should be able to do when working on the more refined model later today.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The central gun that pops out could be a long artillery-like barrel.

artillery.jpg
    0228.jpg

Although I agree a sentry might have a better chance versus the other sentry ideas, I really really like your idea of a Medigun full of see-through glass and jiggling liquids. :cool: Hope you'll do that too at some point.