Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Fearian!

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fearian greentooth
Alright! I've got my ideas down, lets get this thread on the road!

My Update is for the Heavy, and it's a little story all about a Tank. You see The heavy has favorite tank that has a special place in his heart... but it saddens him deeply that he cannot take it to work :(

..Well not all of it, anyway.

Slot #1 - Primary Weapon

The big gun. What it's all about. I wanted to break away from the minigun-mania that accompanies the heavy, but give him something more than just a heavy machine gun. I started looking at the kind of guns you find on tanks, aircraft and emplacements, specifically anti aircraft cannons. I like the idea of two or four barrels that fire one after another in rapid succession, and I want to blend it with an imaginary design that the heavy could carry.

some of my references:
6f26ee81baaa8185738327d7f84f25da.png

I knocked out a (rough) concept:
ba0e33d2b53f91ef6c20203255616feb.PNG
e0c56509c2a2cee1e1dcf6fccd531da2.PNG

These are the kind of shapes I want, big gun with some miscellaneous attachments, Metal parts to show it was once on a tank, and an Ammunition box at the back that feeds the gun. The handles will be attached by brackets along the top and back.

It's still kind of hard to realize what I want in my head at this point, so I started blocking out shapes in 3d. The barrels will make it into the final model but everything else is a place-holder. No handles on the top because I need to line it up with the mini-gun.

a0d85a794b1a9cd894bb75ba98879cfc.png

I'm travelling tomorrow and I'll be busy next week with a funeral, but in between moving around I want to get this model knocked out ASAP. Watch this space! :poly142:

Replies

• Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your theme is heavy russian millita? :D
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Fearian! Looking forward to seeing your progress.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEEEEEEAAAAAAAH FEARIAN
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept is beast, as an animation, I would suggest having a "spin up time" where the barrels start doing a "piston" action before firing.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mm, delicious. A few really promising minigun replacement ideas on these forums.

Maybe add something to the muzzles? Something like the muzzle on these-

88mm-pak-43-antitank-gun.jpg
    antitank.jpg
    http://www.fsmm.org/collection_images/D10%20Iraqi%20Gun%201.JPG
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    ^^^^^^^@Khthon
    I like the the silhouette of some of those big artillery guns, I'll try out a few and see how beefy I can get it looking without being ugly :P
    Ikimono wrote: »
    Concept is beast, as an animation, I would suggest having a "spin up time" where the barrels start doing a "piston" action before firing.

This sounds great! I didn't think about it but I guess I would have to have a 'spin up' part to the animation to fit with the current heavy weapons.

Animating is the thing I am most dreading - never ported anything animated into source before, and source is pretty finicky as it is. :poly122:

Slot #2: - Sandvich!

Continuing my theme of 'taken from a tank', I've got a tenuous Idea for a replacement for the sanvich - the 'Russkie Water Tank'. Not sure about the name. I'd rather something that implies the old saying, 'Water in Russia is Vodka*' ;)

Ref:
    e32a3aa49864703009081c4961679617.jpg

No blockouts- do you really need one?
    I amigine the heavy lifting this and dousing himself with 'water' while shaking his head about like a shampoo commercial - but this would mean animation, so, we'll see.

OK, Going home then I'll get modelling!

*the two words are actually very similar if google translate is to be believed:
    водка [vodka] - vodka
    воды [vody] - water
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I think there's a couple animators on here who might help you out if your ideas catch their interest.
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, a huge vodka tank? While completely devastating my foes with a huge artillery weapon? Yes, please!
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OT: Can i subscribe a thread in quick reply? (posted this to subscribe)
    Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
  • kindafresh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^@Khthon
    I like the the silhouette of some of those big artillery guns, I'll try out a few and see how beefy I can get it looking without being ugly :P

This sounds great! I didn't think about it but I guess I would have to have a 'spin up' part to the animation to fit with the current heavy weapons.

Animating is the thing I am most dreading - never ported anything animated into source before, and source is pretty finicky as it is. :poly122:

Slot #2: - Sandvich!

Continuing my theme of 'taken from a tank', I've got a tenuous Idea for a replacement for the sanvich - the 'Russkie Water Tank'. Not sure about the name. I'd rather something that implies the old saying, 'Water in Russia is Vodka*' ;)

Ref:
    e32a3aa49864703009081c4961679617.jpg

No blockouts- do you really need one?
    I amigine the heavy lifting this and dousing himself with 'water' while shaking his head about like a shampoo commercial - but this would mean animation, so, we'll see.

OK, Going home then I'll get modelling!

*the two words are actually very similar if google translate is to be believed:
    водка [vodka] - vodka
    воды [vody] - water

Water in russian is vodka.
    OMG. That's genius!
    Forget the chocolate bar, I want the water tank!!!