Home Technical Talk

Help: Normal problem in Marmoset Toolbag

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
explorer3d polycounter lvl 13
hello everybody.Marmoset Toolbag is great tool for game artister. currently I have a issue about normalmap.then I spent all day to read this topis (from 1-50 page).but i havn't found out a way to fix it.i really want to someone can help me. thanks a lot.

I baked the normal in 3dsmax. and it's look great in max (3point shader is very useful)
4664850469_be5daae651_b.jpg
also import to maya for check the normal
4664850315_a9d2aac335_b.jpg
so I import to Toolbag. current it's looking great (not use specular)
4665475136_d1b2502237_b.jpg

then turn on the specular. i found some strange specular in three areas.(look like smooth group error)

4665475280_620869640f_b.jpg

4665475428_f5c4af0a9b_b.jpg

I have double checked the uv (no any uv vertex be welded)

4665475554_709ca526e1_b.jpg
4665475976_2d7168b2e5_b.jpg

I also use one smooth group at these areas

4665475766_0ebeff624f_b.jpg

checked the obj export option

4665475832_318caeedf9.jpg

normalmap

4665475684_c4b6522d3f_b.jpg

my pc is nvidia GTX260,4G memory,OS:XP 32.

I really really want to get the answer. thanks

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I baked the normal in 3dsmax. and it's look great in max (3point shader is very useful)

3point shader is one of the only shaders/engines that display 3dsmax normal maps properly, you may get better results with marmoset if you use maya or some other app to bake normals (xnormal or whatever).
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I'm fairly certain Marmoset is designed to take xNormal maps. Perhaps one of the fellas who were at 8monkey could chime in on this.
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for ZacD's attention.I knew the 3point shader for display normal maps in 3dsmax.but also I have import obj to maya for double check normal map.(you can find out above image. ) It looks correct in maya viewport. also looks fine when not use specular in Marmoset Toolbag . It's very strange. I have read the article of Marmoset Toolbag in polycount.and try many way that many guys mention in the article for fix it. unlucky it still has issue... @_@
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain Marmoset is designed to take xNormal maps. Perhaps one of the fellas who were at 8monkey could chime in on this.

Hey Racer445 .I'm very glad see you here.I read many your tutorials.It's really cool and very useful.:thumbup: I also put your AK47 OBJ to Toolbag for check my normal problem.your AK47 display correct in Toolbag. actually i don't know your final normal map bake where? from xNormal or 3dsmax or maya? even i have watched your tutorial video:poly124:. you mention Toolbag support normal map bake by xNormal better than 3dsmax bake. I'm not sure . I just want to figure out the real reason for the issue.
    Thanks for your reply
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd suggest try baking it maya and seeing if that helps any, maya might just deal with 3DS normals better than mamroset.
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd suggest try baking it maya and seeing if that helps any, maya might just deal with 3DS normals better than mamroset.

Hi ZacD.I have import obj to maya.and just use the normal map after flip green channel is PS. It's looks correct. that's why i believe the normal map bake by 3dsmax is right. thanks for your reply
    4665099469_f6e5125db8_b.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its not as simple as the normal maps being right or wrong, just look at this thread for example
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68173

There's no standard how to bake/display normal maps.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to triangulate your mesh in Max before exporting to Marmoset.

The problem might be that you are letting Marmoset interpret the triangulation of your mesh rather than force the triangulation that you baked your normal map with in Max.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I think you need to triangulate your mesh in Max before exporting to Marmoset.

The problem might be that you are letting Marmoset interpret the triangulation of your mesh rather than force the triangulation that you baked your normal map with in Max.

Yeah this looks like the case here, any time you have these X shaped smoothing errors it generally means the triangulation has changed from when you baked it to when it was loaded ingame.

In addition to that, Marmoset's cube map base lighting system generally is going to show the same smoothing errors you see in max and maya worse, if you used a similar shader you might see similar artifacts.

As far as what is best to bake for Marmo, really there isn't any app that will give perfect bakes unfortunately. I think the best results i've been able to get are baking with maya, locking normals(so you dont get triangulation issues) and exporting with the maya plugin. However you need an older version of maya(2008?) to do this.
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANKS for EarthQuake feedback. I have try triangulated the mesh before export obj .it's still no change anything. But i often do it when import to Maya.it's only for keep same triangle topology like in 3dsmax.and same normal map view.
    Finally I found out the reason. :)
    1.I change the smooth group in 3dsmax.(i have tried baked again by Xnormal and maya .It's still has the problem)
    4667727647_56bd322fe3_b.jpg
    2. also export obj with triangulation
    4668352658_b6a7f3a7a0.jpg
    then fixed!!!
    4668352784_2c6300f7dc_b.jpg
    I thought key reason about smooth group.But I still have not totally understand the fix reason. why display correct with 1 smooth group in 3dsmax and maya.
    Anyway Thanks everybody again!!! you guys help me a lot
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are screenshots in Marmoset Toolbag .It's really cool tools!!!
    4668355040_7052a2e7de_b.jpg

4668355308_db2948a213_b.jpg