Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 Polypack - Brettthefirst

Hi guys,

I've decided to give this a pop (though I'm not sure that my ability extends far enough...)

I'm going to be doing the Pyro (giggety!)

My theme is Harlequin.

So far I have a hat (in progress):

The Motley Crown

motleycrown23.png
(738 Triangles)

a modified Flamethrower (in progress) and a solid idea for the melee weapon (to be made).

Also considering a misc. item if time allows, a cowel to be worn around his neck, but only if the rest goes ok.

Any suggestions, criticisms, advice would be gratefully recieved. I should point out that I've only just started modelling (about 4 days ago) and am new to this so please be on the patronising side of simplistic advice :)

Cheers

Replies

• Karkasmolenklok
    I will say now as I have said before:

Team fortress is not ready for the existence of purple.
  • Locutus.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will say now as I have said before:

Team fortress is not ready for the existence of purple.

I second this post.

Might look better if you tried to go after the look of Harley Quinn (From Batman)
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, there will be no Purple. Sorry, the colours in the picture are reference colours.
    The hat is going to be based on this: Sparkle%20Jester%20Hat.jpg
    the colours will be Red or Blue (team dependant) and then Orange/yellow as in the colour swatch. Also thinking of a Flamethrower skin with a harlequin head on the end. Much like the backburner but the bust of a harlequin holding a flame (candle/torch) and blowing.
    What do you think?

TL;DR - NO PURPLE! :D
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why not blue/cream red/cream

to make it less eye-rape?
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :)

Eye-rape is good but yes, just been mocking up some (VERY) rough colour schemes and this is what I'm going to work on for now:

jesterconcept.png
    Thoughts?

Edit: The bells may be gold instead of team coloured
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, just an update (if anybody's listening... :)) Here's some concept art I've been working on for the flamethrower. The flamethrower is going to be, like the Backburner, the original flamethrower model with a different 'head'. The head in question is going to be a Harlequin head/neck over the original cone with the flame coming out of his mouth. The stalk holing the small pilot light is going to be the Harlequin's arm. Here's some sketches:
    dscf3441.jpg
    And here's an EARLY work in progress shot of the skin:
    harlequinflamethroweri.jpg
    As before, advice, feedback etc. welcome. Feel free to comment :D

*EDIT* Also come up with beta names for the Jester hat and the flamethrower:

Hat - The Motley Crown
    Flamethrower - The Cackling Conflagration
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome to finish that flamethrower mod as an exercise but fyi if you use any of the tf2 mesh or any non-original mesh you wont make it into the pack.

The hat could work but maybe add some more spans to smooth out the shapes. and I'd model the bells out.

I'm not saying you're wrong and please don't think that but I can't see anywhere in the rules that it states we can't use the original meshes as part of the weapon. The reason I have chosen to do it this way is because the backburner model (when viewed in the Source SDK viewer) is just the addition to the edge of the cone.

Would you kindly show me where this has been stipulated? Again, please don't take offence, I'm simply seeking cllarification before abandoning/overhauling this idea.

Cheers :)
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone sent an e-mail to robin reguarding using existing TF2 models for the contest and he said it was fine.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mico27 wrote: »
    Someone sent an e-mail to robin reguarding using existing TF2 models for the contest and he said it was fine.
    Oh dear, now I am confused. Can anyone give me a link to either prove or disprove this theory?

Sorry for being a pain guys, your input is appreciated :thumbup:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,
    I've sent an email for confirmation of what we were discussing last night.
    Until then here's the progress I'm making on the Cackling Conflagration and the Motley Crown:

beta21.jpg
    As you can see the shape of the face is really starting to come together on the flamethrower. Next job is the nose which I think is really going to make this come alive. Then the eyes, arm and so on.

The Jester hat:
    jester12.jpg
    I've made a completely new attempt from the first try. You can see I've made the crown part smaller, the cones closer together and longer/more rounded and i've modelled the bells properly *NOTE* the purple is still a reference colour, not representative of the finished product!

What do you think? Is this starting to come together or should I go jump off a bridge and save the electricity? :P
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
    How many tris is your hat? You gotta keep it around 800.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB wrote: »
    How many tris is your hat? You gotta keep it around 800.

No idea TBH :poly141: I'm not sure how to check (I'm VERY new to this) but that is a heavily rounded render of the hat. I can always scale it back if it's too far past.

If you wouldn't mind explaining to me I would love to know... I'm using 3DS max if that's any help.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some updated Concept art (Thanks to Vicki - aka: Jokers_Girl)
    dscf3444t.jpg

I don't suppose anybody would care to comment on the idea itself?
    Much criticism but no acual opinion about the theme or item ideas themselves. Some feedback from a theoretical standpoint would be nice...
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't know about the theme. Maybe something broader, like "Trickster" or "Prankster" or "Theater" (imagine the Pyro trying to play Hamlet with the mask on) or "Circus" or who knows what...but Harlequin just seems too narrow.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea TBH :poly141: I'm not sure how to check (I'm VERY new to this) but that is a heavily rounded render of the hat. I can always scale it back if it's too far past.

If you wouldn't mind explaining to me I would love to know... I'm using 3DS max if that's any help.

I'm not sure, but it should be the non-numeric keypad number 7, that should show the polys.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    I just don't know about the theme. Maybe something broader, like "Trickster" or "Prankster" or "Theater" (imagine the Pyro trying to play Hamlet with the mask on) or "Circus" or who knows what...but Harlequin just seems too narrow.

I would disagree... I have 3 solid ideas here from the Harlequin theme (which also incorperates Jester as the generic Harlequin is based on a medievil Jester). All of them fit the Harlequin theme as well as the Pyro's character (random/crazy).

I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't understand why you feel this is restrictive. If you'd care to elaborate then I'd be more than happy to listen and take on board your suggestions.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A jester's face for the flamethrower mouth just doesn't seem like it makes sense. Other people have done heads for flamethrower, but they were dragons. As for the inner workings of the flamethrower, I don't know what your going to do with a jester theme for mechanical inner workings.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A jester's face for the flamethrower mouth just doesn't seem like it makes sense. Other people have done heads for flamethrower, but they were dragons. As for the inner workings of the flamethrower, I don't know what your going to do with a jester theme for mechanical inner workings.

Ok, I see what you mean now. I think half of the point of the Jester's face is that it doesn't make sense, it's just supposed to scare the S*** out of you when you see it running towards you spewing flames. As for the mechanical (manical :D) working's, I'm still working that through concept art but initial thoughts are that it's going to tie in with a carousel-type feel (think old, Victorian fairground carousel.) It may make more sense when you see some sketches of it.

With regards to the theme, Harlequins tend to be a part of theatrical (as you mentioned) imagery which is commenly associated with old-style fairgrounds (think Punch & Judy, Blackpool beach etc.)

Does that make any more sense now? Or am I going too far off the wagon?! :)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you should make the theme Psychotic Carnival?

I like the idea of a carousel/carnival ride inspired flamethrower and don't think it needs a huge joker face on it to be good.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you should make the theme Psychotic Carnival?

I like the idea of a carousel/carnival ride inspired flamethrower and don't think it needs a huge joker face on it to be good.

It's a good idea, thank you for the feedback - it's actually really nice to get some constructive criticism without just being told "It's crap!" so cheers.

I'm going to have a play with some ideas this afternoon, check back later and see what you think :)
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest. I like the first hat better.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That flamethrower... is very unsettling.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowloss wrote: »
    That flamethrower... is very unsettling.

See... Even when it's not finished (not even close) it's still scary. Mission accomplished ;)
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update!

I've been working onthe Cackling Conflagration, 'finished' the nose for now, I'm happy with it but it is subject to change. Gonna get the hat in there tonight and then start on the Cowl and Arm. Here's what it looks like so far:

beta2151.jpg
    beta215.jpg

Also going to start working on the Melee weapon later tonight/early tomorrow and begin thinking about texturing.

Also, I recieved an email from Robin Walker in which he let me know that my idea here (using the flamethrower base as a mesh) is allowed. I wouldn't take that as gospel that anything can be used/copied for any purpose but I'm actually thinking about re-designing the Flamethrower anyway :)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    not to dissapoint you guys but did you all read the clownsuit part in the rules? there is no logical explanation why this kind of stuff can be featured in tf2. it has nothing to do with the character, nor game, nor time period.

edit: also I'm not trying to diss, but going behind polycounts contest management's back and ask Robin is a bit nasty imo. we pretty much all decided it has to be modeled from scratch, I think its even in the rules.
  • frymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    we pretty much all decided it has to be modeled from scratch, I think its even in the rules.

hey,

I was wondering this myself... I can't see that in the rules anywhere
    , and page 2 of the Q&A has someone asking that, but not being given an official answer, can you quote the relevant bit please?
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not to dissapoint you guys but did you all read the clownsuit part in the rules? there is no logical explanation why this kind of stuff can be featured in tf2. it has nothing to do with the character, nor game, nor time period.
    The following quotes are taken from Valve's biography for the Pyro.

1) "He sets things on fire"
    2) "Fearsome"
    3) "Frankenstein"

There are other examples, but we wouldn't want to turn this into an essay on themology.

1) In carnivals around the world, there are many acts involving the use of fire. Juggling with it, Fire-'eating', general pyromania.
    2) I quote another user in this thread: "I find the flamethrower pretty unsettling". Pyro is fearsome. Flamethrower is unsettling.
    3) Frankenstein --> freakshow --> dark carnival.

That's three points that indicate this theme fits in fine with the pyro's character...

I think this theme fits the Pyro very well; it's dark and gritty, it's a little bit crazy which seems to be a recurring theme through the Pyro's unlocks, also - Pyromania = Mental Disorder, crazy, off the wall etc.
    edit: also I'm not trying to diss, but going behind polycounts contest management's back and ask Robin is a bit nasty imo. we pretty much all decided it has to be modeled from scratch, I think its even in the rules.

I emailed Robin Walker because I hadn't recieved any clarification, I'd recieved 2 different, conflicting responses which didn't answer the question. There was no mal-intent, it wasn't being nasty to Polycount or anyone else, I was seeking clarification because I was told that what I was doing was not elegible for this contest. It is not in the rules that it all has to be modelled from scratch, had you read them (and this thread) then that would have been obvious.
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

don't forget this part of the rules:
    ’You’re more than welcome to submit whatever you like for this contest, and if its the best clown suit Valve’s ever seen you might even see it get released some day. But to win this contest, we’re challenging you with keeping your item theme within the TF2 universe. With that said, we wouldn’t be surprised to hear that you wrote a convincing back-story in your submission as to why the Heavy has a clown suit and some how Valve just couldn’t resist making it part of the TF2 universe. (Don’t tell them we wrote that, we’ll deny everything!)

also. it's not a clown SUIT
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the jester flamethrower. Reminds me of that one clown float from the parish level in left 4 dead 2.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Jerk wrote: »
    I like the jester flamethrower. Reminds me of that one clown float from the parish level in left 4 dead 2.

Awesome, it should be more scary though...
    Here's a couple of current screenies:
    beta202.jpg
    beta201.jpg
    beta20.jpg

I'm really happy with how this is starting to look :D
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've finished the model for the hat (first attempt anyhow) coming in at 806 polygons. I'm a little unsure to how that translates to Triangles so it may have to be altered, would someone let me know if I do and if so how?
    Here's some screenies:
    jester1.jpg
    jester2.jpg
    jester3.jpg
    What do you think?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs jigglebones, theres a tutorial on youtube
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs jigglebones, theres a tutorial on youtube
    HAHA! WAAAAAAY ahead of you dude, it wouldn't work without jigglebones and I'm gonna get right on that after texturing.
    What do you think of the hat? I, personally, would like this for the pyro in game. Would you?
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should really keep track of your polycount.

Mesh smooths are usually a nono
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeezy wrote: »
    You should really keep track of your polycount.

Mesh smooths are usually a nono

As i've said previously I'm very new to this, it's been 6 days since I started learning so I'm still getting there.
    806 is around 800... I can't see anybody complaining. Additionally, it doesn't add any polygona to smooth this (according to 3DS max).

Any advice/tips you could give me to help?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    look on fpsbanana for tutorials.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta201.jpg
    That is the scariest thing I've ever seen.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    That is the scariest thing I've ever seen.
    Thank you, I'm glad it's working
    ;)
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    As i've said previously I'm very new to this, it's been 6 days since I started learning so I'm still getting there.
    806 is around 800... I can't see anybody complaining. Additionally, it doesn't add any polygona to smooth this (according to 3DS max).

Any advice/tips you could give me to help?

I'm seeing a potential problem, if you are fairly new then I am going to assume that by polies you are indeed talking about polies not triangles, the hats need to be kept to around 800 triangles. A poly (in most sense) is either a single triangle or a quad which = 2 triangles. so 802 Polies is probably quite a bit over the alloted triangle count.
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I've been working on the texture for the hat and have it looking how I would like. My triangle count is too high so I'm going to be re-making the hat from scratch (shouldn't take too long).

Out of curiosity I imported the hat into TF2 to see how it would look in game and came across a problem, see the following shots:
    skingm.jpg
    This is how the hat looks when rendered in 3DS max but when I use it in game, this happens:
    ctf2fort0008.jpg
    ctf2fort0007r.jpg
    ctf2fort0005l.jpg
    I apologise that I have no clue of what I'm doing.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening or how to fix it?
    Is it because I have textured the whole hat (including the parts that can't be seen)?

Any help is gratefully recieved :)
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, After the problems earlier I went back to the drawing board (so to speak) and remade the hat keeping the poly-count in mind. I've lowered it to 616 triangles which is quite nice as now I have some breathing room. It has lost some of the detail (as expected) but I'm happy that it's looking good for now. Tomorrow I'm going to refine the model, take out some of the sharp edges you can see and then have another go at texturing it.
    Screenies:
    jester26.jpg
    jester27.jpg
    jester25.jpg

Suggestions, comments, criticism?
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks wonderful man. I can definitely see this hat getting into the game. The pyro is a psychotic, yet laughable character. This suits him perfectly!
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whew, sorry for the delay, been hard at work.

The hat is finished. Texture is going to be worked on a little but the model is essentially done, in game and looks good :)

ctfsawmill0017.jpg
    ctfsawmill0004.jpg
    ctfsawmill0009.jpgjestere.png
    So what do you think?
    I've had a play with jigglebones but can't seem to get that working very well at all. If anybody knows enough to help with that then I'd be very grateful.

Also, any advances on colour/positioning on head etc? Any asthetic changes you can think of that may help?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if you get jiggle bones in there and fix up the texture to have nice TF2 looking brushstrokes it should be good
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if you get jiggle bones in there and fix up the texture to have nice TF2 looking brushstrokes it should be good

Yea, I saw the post someone made about texturing and intend to give it a whirl. As you can see this is just solid colours and could look better. Thanks for the support though, really appreciated :)
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a shame that you can't add a little jingle when the pyro walks anywhere. Would make my day.

Newer model looks good, get an AO back on there, and paint in some brush strokes and you're good as gravy
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I should post an update...

Had a little trouble with the AO baking but it's fixed now:
    ao1.png
    This has meant that I need to re-texture but that was being re-done with the brush strokes anyway. So, Watch this space!

Edit: Retextured:
    ao2.png
    And a BLU texture:
    ao3q.png
  • Brettthefirst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question if someone wouldn't mind helping,

Is there any way that I can make the bells reflective without affecting the rest of the hat?
    Could someone either help or point me in the right direction? Please <3