Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Megabiv

Well this is the first time I've entered a 3D competition and im looking forward to the experience I can get from doing this. Any how, here's whats going on:

Class: Engineer
Item/Weapon: Shred'r (Sentry Gun lvl 1-3)

References & Concepts:

Keeping with the time period and hopefully theme of TF2 im hoping to make a new version of the Engineers sentry gun. Im trying to get a look of some of the WW2 AA guns/emplacements such as these shown on my little reference sheet.

TF2_Engineer_Sentry_Reference_Sheet.jpg

Here is a quick set of silhouettes showing my sentry gun at its different stages.

Shredr_Concept_Sheet.jpg

Oh and heres what i've got down so far in 3D, im around 12k currently which isn't great but that is down mostly to the legs I have made. Any comments & crits welcomed, even brutal ones :)

Progress_Profile_Stage1_small.jpg

Progress_Stage1_small.jpg

Replies

• xilefian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dislike that sentry.
    EDIT: And those sillouhettes

Make the level 2 and 3 of these concepts, they look awesome:
    http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/ianbrown19/TF2%20Poly%20Count%20Contest/TF2_Engineer_Sentry_Reference_Sheet.jpg
  • ChrisspyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, i like the look of the legs in your 3D pic :)

Although, they do look quite similar to the current lvl 1 sentry
  • xilefian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisspyB wrote: »
    Honestly, i like the look of the legs in your 3D pic :)
    Really? I hate those legs so much.
    Want to break them, then break yours, then Mgeabiv's, then Newell's, then Walker's, then my own.
    Damn I hate legs so much >:c
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xilefian wrote: »
    Want to break them, then break yours, then Mgeabiv's, then Newell's, then Walker's, then my own.

there there, it's okay..it's okaaay

everything will be just fine : )
  • fastturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xilefian wrote: »

"I hate those legs" is not helpful criticism. In fact, I've not seen you provide helpful criticism in anybody's thread. Please stop just saying everything sucks in every thread.

On the topic of the sentry reskin, however, I really do like how it's looking right now, although I think the barrels on the silhouettes of level 2 and 3 little a little thin/awkward when they rest of the gun(s) seem so bulky. I might be proven wrong when we get to see the actual model, but right now, I suggest doing something to make them more substantial.

Also, you could probably reduce the tessellation of the bolts on the legs of your gun to cut down on the tris. I would hate to see it redesigned, because I think the legs are probably the strongest part (not trying to slam the rest of the model, though).
  • Karkasmolenklok
    So it seems to me that you're going for the Natascha "same concept looking slightly different" path. However, I think you could do more to differentiate in what the thing looks like. The legs are a good place to start (and I don't have the irrational hatred for them that xilefian has for them) perhaps if you have those gun emplacements as references maybe you might want to go for a system that looks more like them than a slight variant on the original?
  • xilefian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fastturtle wrote: »
    I've not seen you provide helpful criticism in anybody's thread
    I disagree.
    If something is a good idea I've made contributive posts, if I know something is a definite bad idea I won't post at all.
    As this is neither a good or a bad idea, I'll apologise for insulting the ugly legs and post something helpful.

Those legs are too complicated, scrap them and go for something simpler like the original sentry already has.
    The barrel is too long, makes it seem like it's ability is long-ranged and if valve make up the stats, they'd want the model to be more open to functionality interpretations.
    The dome at the bottom is too clean for the Engineer's style, and so does the curving head of the sentry, the way is bends inwards as it gets higher, that's a very modern design compared to tf2's setting.

Infact, I still stick with my last post.
    I really hate those legs, make the stuff in your first concept.

EDIT: Wait a minute you troller! This is the only thread where I have not given helpful critisism!
    You tricked me >:c
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks awesome, I will agree that the legs are a tad complicated for level one, but for a later level, they would be perfect. I think this feels more robotic, and with the inclusion of Engineer Robots (Hopefully), I think this would fit nicely.
  • Megabiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the commments and interest so far. Well im trying to make this a variant to the standard sentry gun and as such trying to keep it similar but different (if that make sense to any one but me). I'll have another go tonight on some less complex legs for the 1st level and see how people like/dislike those. As for the barrels on the later levels, i'll make em beefy no worries ;). Its my poor concept work i feel, as your right, they look too weedy to cause some serious damage but with some improvements and perhaps some bigger barrels will help to get that pain across. Any way i'll get back to 3D'ing and post up some progress.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel that the minguns for the level 2 and 3 SGs in the top concept are too close together. How about doing something more like those WWII guns you posted?
  • Megabiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm well it seems people may be getting a little confused about my reference sheet, the concepts on there are made by valve and were for TF2, not my design in the slightest. Its used purely as reference in my design. As such im working trying to create a sentry gun that hasd a likeness to the default but is still different.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, my mistake. Sorry about that.
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Random idea. Maybe instead of having it on three legs like the default sentry, perhaps try seeing if four legs work out.
  • Zai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zai
    I think your level 1 Sentry looks a bit too much like the default level 1 Sentry. If put in the game, I think it would be difficult for the opposing team to tell which Sentry type it was. I'm not sure how to "fix" that, though.

However, the legs look overly complicated. They contrast with the simplicity of the head of the Sentry a bit too much for my taste. I'd suggest simplifying the legs a bit, perhaps by making them bulkier and less intricate.