Home Unreal Engine

Modo to UDK

Hey guys!

Just wondering if there is a plug-in much like actor x or something similar for Modo 401 or even a file format that is used to export meshes to take into unreal. Modo doesnt seem to have the file formats that can be used so me and a friend are currently exporting to fbx. format importing it into 3ds then exporting to UDK.

Any tips or work orders that others use would be great or how they use modo alone to import into UDK.

Cheers

Replies

• El Junk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK can take .fbx files directly. I think .dae, too, but I haven't tried to import a Collada file.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also this ASE export script from this site and a tutorial on how to use it.

Last time I tried to import a FBX from Modo it came in with all hard edges. I hope it gets fixed with SP5.
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for bumping but need help here. I send my mesh from modo to udk and I have Modo 401.

If i use .fbx i only get hard edges on everything and cant seem to change that anywhere. The ASE script people recomend doesnt seem to work on my version of modo since i get an error when running the script. Does anyone know of a script that actually works for Modo? or is jumping between 3d apps my only solution?

cheers
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ASE script works fine I've used it quite a lot with UDK/Modo 401. What error do you get? The script is very particular about naming conventions for UV and vertex color maps.

Have you updated Modo to the latest service pack SP5r2 (401 version 37327)? There were some script errors introduced with SP5r1 that were fixed in SP5r2.

There's also the COLLADA plugin, which I've also used to get models into UDK.

You could also try Chai's pipelineIO script to export FBX files rather than use Modo's native export options.

EDIT:

When importing a FBX saved with Modo's file save as option, in the Import dialog that UDK brings up be sure to scroll down and check "Explicit Normals" ON, otherwise the model's vertex normals won't be imported and it will appear to be faceted.

Or at least that's worked for me with the August build of UDK.

I hope that helps.
  • CT007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CT007 polycounter lvl 13
    Use Zoltan's ASE export script. It works most of the time. Sometimes it won't export smoothing correctly, but usually that means you need to restart modo. You also need to setup your units to match Unreal 1:1, meaning editing the script might be necessary(can't remember if I needed to or not). It can export skeletal meshes with bones, too, although it's a bit complicated and I never export skelmeshes anyway.

All you do for static meshes is setup smoothing groups, name your UVs, collision, vertex paint, etc. correctly, and export.

I've used this script since 30X, and now I'm on 401 SP5(36460). Exporting FBX to Maya/Max works great, too, if you can't get things running in modo. Or OBJ, if you just need to bake in Max/xN.