Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Hobo

Hello everyone!

Reserving my spot for a WIP thread. It's been a rough time nailing down which class to do this for I love them all and have ideas for everyone. I've finally settled with scout however.

Ok so the ideas are as follows (though I'm still in the process of fleshing them out)

I'll be doing a hat, melee weapon, and primary weapon. Theme will be a bit steampunk-old timey feel to it.

Melee Weapon - Blackjack*
Primary Weapon - Blunderbus*
Hat - Aviator's Cap*

(replace with creative name*)

Here's a quick mock-up of the hat idea. I like it so far, though im considering goggles as well.

scoutaviator.jpg

Replies

• Karkasmolenklok
    Lot of aviator hats and blunderbusses this contest.

What do you mean by "Blackjack"? What is that?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That small thing that goons use to stun people. Tiny club thing.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It reminds me of the concept for Chell in Portal 2. Looks good though, I can imagine the dangly bits jiggling about as the Scout runs.
  • Hobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Original idea scrapped.

Theme wasn't cohesive enough. But I'm back with an even better idea.

The Heavy Mobster

A gun that is somewhere between a Tommy gun and a minigun
    A Mobster Hat with cigar.
    Brass Knuckles wrapped with barbed wire.
    A full length double barreled shotgun (I picture this being visually similar to long barreled fan, but in the hand [he'll use it one handed] of the heavy far more accurate and faster reloading, for sniping opponents at long range)

So preliminary concepts are as illustrated, still trying to peg down an exact shape for the tom-minigun, any suggestions would be helpful.

heavymobster.jpg
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man make sure it's solid black, a large round magazine cart is another thing that'd look brilliant
  • Hobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to clarify that the magazine pictured is a drum magazine, so similar in shape to the current minigun for the heavy.

Psyke - I'm not entirely sure what you mean?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure the metal of the gun you intend on making is a solid jet black colour for the feel and asthetics of it

as for the cartridge i mean something like this

1921%20gun%20with%20c%20drum%20back%20view.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure you work in some references to pop culture mob stuff.
  • Hobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, yes, the drum will look much like that albeit much deeper then a standard tommy gun. Obviously a bit hard to make out from the silhouette.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The third silhouette is my favorite, however I'd remove the hole filled cylinder before the barrels, and put it on the end of each instead.

Very interesting design and I would very much like to see where this goes.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hobo, are you by any chance Hobo Joe from SPUF?

Just wondering.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why is there a rifle in your illistration?
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think it's the shotgun replacement.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although I do think your concept of Heavy as a mobster looks awesome, I do hope it won't stray too far from his personality and background.

You seem to be more inspired by American mobsters than the Russian Mobsters (Although I am not sure if they were popular during the 50-70's when TF2 appears to take place).
    I'm not sure the stereotypical mob personality would fit Heavy's chaotic nature, not to mention his nationality.

If you're lucky, Valve might make the same exception they made with the Hound Dog.
    However if Valve is more strict with the rules this time, you might have issues getting this concept through to them.

Although on the matter of a mobster theme, I do think it might work on Scout.
    To make a theme for him based on scarface or something like that... no need to think much about this though, I'm just rambling now :S
  • nex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nex
    Simski wrote: »
    Although I do think your concept of Heavy as a mobster looks awesome, I do hope it won't stray too far from his personality and background.

You seem to be more inspired by American mobsters than the Russian Mobsters (Although I am not sure if they were popular during the 50-70's when TF2 appears to take place).
    I'm not sure the stereotypical mob personality would fit Heavy's chaotic nature, not to mention his nationality.

If you're lucky, Valve might make the same exception they made with the Hound Dog.
    However if Valve is more strict with the rules this time, you might have issues getting this concept through to them.

Although on the matter of a mobster theme, I do think it might work on Scout.
    To make a theme for him based on scarface or something like that... no need to think much about this though, I'm just rambling now :S
    heavy is very much interested in american culture... :D

tommy machine gun...omg, maybe the best idea in comp, just need to be done right...:)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nex wrote: »
    heavy is very much interested in american culture... :D
    This is fanfiction, nothing else than the Hound Dog hints that he may be interested in American culture.

So like I said, if Valve is more strict with the rules this time... speculations on Heavy being interested in American culture might not be enough to justify this theme.

I'm not saying there is no chance in the world that Valve will accept this, they did after all accept the Hound Dog and Brainslug simply because they thought they were cool looking. I'm just saying that they might not be as kind on the guidelines this time.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    This is fanfiction, nothing else than the Hound Dog hints that he may be interested in American culture.

So like I said, if Valve is more strict with the rules this time... speculations on Heavy being interested in American culture might not be enough to justify this theme.
    It was actually the Football Helmet - the first Valve made hat available for the Heavy- which started the whole Heavy/American Culture theory in the first place. Notice how the only hat which even hint's at him being Russian is the Ushanka. Likewise the only thing Russian about his weapons are the names.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dickless wrote: »
    It was actually the Football Helmet - the first Valve made hat available for the Heavy- which started the whole Heavy/American Culture theory in the first place. Notice how the only hat which even hint's at him being Russian is the Ushanka. Likewise the only thing Russian about his weapons are the names.

Oh, I forgot about the Football helmet.
    Still, I always considered the Football helmet to only make sense because of Heavy's muscular body-type as well as for being a direct reference to his Soviet Block achievement he got from his official Heavy update.

I never really considered it to fit the Heavy because he had "an interest in America", nor have I ever considered that he'd choose the Minigun for any other reason than that he is a stereotypical big muscled and dimwitted Russian henchman.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't go so far as to say he's dimwitted. He bears a great amount of intelligence, granted he's not on the Engineers level, but you can bet he's 'smarter' than the Scout at the very least.
    Back to the topic at hand considering American Culture... I would indeed say that it's a safe bet to say that HWG is somewhat interested in it given the current evidence already presented. Granted it's nothing unrefutable, it's a fun and interesting concept. That and old gangster movies seem like they'd be right up Heavy's ally.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be honest you could simply pull it off as heavy adapting to his settings
    afterall
    tf2 doesn't take place in russia now does it?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowloss wrote: »
    I wouldn't go so far as to say he's dimwitted. He bears a great amount of intelligence, granted he's not on the Engineers level, but you can bet he's 'smarter' than the Scout at the very least.
    Back to the topic at hand considering American Culture... I would indeed say that it's a safe bet to say that HWG is somewhat interested in it given the current evidence already presented. Granted it's nothing unrefutable, it's a fun and interesting concept. That and old gangster movies seem like they'd be right up Heavy's ally.
    I just don't like the idea of items that stray too far from Heavy's original design as a reference to the a big muscled Russian henchmen in 50-60's secret agent movies.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    You guys realize the russian mafia is probably the scariest mafia in the world at the moment, right?

Like the "potentially buy black market old soviet nuclear weapons from them" kind of scary?
  • Hobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have had a bit of free time to work on this recently, still have a fair bit left to model but I like where it's heading. I have 3 of the 4 almost done and I think I'll texture those before I really get started on the minigun. So far I've just been playing with shapes and haven't really got it right just yet.

initially I intended to have the barbed fists also feature brass knuckles but found it look way to busy. So instead I decided on bandaged fists, and when it comes to texturing I'll be adding blood stains it look even more brutal.

Have a bit more to do on the coach gun, working on the bifurcated breach at the moment. I picture it being a long range tighter spread version of the heavies normal shotgun. Probably a faster reload too.

Anyway, pictures as follows.

2doublebarrel.jpg3hatcigar1.jpg3hatcigar2.jpg4puglistsbarbs1.jpg4puglistsbarbs2.jpg
  • Hobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update - finished the models for the shotgun and fist (still need to do a variation for the right hand)

will try and bang out a texture tomorrow morning

breach.jpgbarbss.jpg
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep at it, time's-a-ticken' unfortunately