Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aston Martin DB9

tda
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
tda polycounter lvl 16
so, i figure it's time to diversify my folio a bit. im planning to do a few new pieces but for starters this seems like a good test of my abilities, never made a car to current gen standards before.

the plan is to aim for the Gran Turismo 5 polybudget ballpark, around 200,000 tris or so total for the enire thing and less than 2048x texture space spread over a few unique and tiling textures for the interior, badges and whatnot. that's how i understand they spend their budget anyway, if anyone else knows different lemme know. i might make a little bit of under the hood detail too if i can spare the tris when the time rolls around.

heres where im at so far, not much to crit yet but gotta start the thread somewhere!
9ih0dl.jpg

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks solid so far.
  • Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    as far as I can tell its an accurate base shape, looking forward to seeing this shape up.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    good start man. you got blueprints or eyeballin it?
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    cheers guys. here's a quick update, rear still needs a lot of work.

14obx4w.jpg

xoliul's shader was made for this stuff :)
    right now im wondering how best to do the rear lights, it's a shame i don't have GT5 prologue to check their model out. im also wondering if cutting in the body lines and the holes in the bodywork might be easier once i collapse down the turbosmooth to poly, it'd help edge flow a lot especially in the front bumper area.

ironhawk - im using some prints but they were drawn from photos i think, i used em to block out the shape but its mostly just eyeball work
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    update time. im pretty much finished refining the shape now i think, probably still a few bits to work the kinks out that i'll notice eventually. after collapsing and starting the optimising pass of the turbosmooth some corners are a bit jaggy but i've knocked it down from 80k~ to around 36,000 tris so i've got loads to play with. im pumped to start the interior and get detailing, should be fun :)

dqiqtl.jpg
    and the wires. so much edge turning, urrrghhhhh
    21jss36.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    today was a productive day :). sitting at about 100k with the wheels and everything. should land pretty comfortably under the 200 i budgeted for with the interior and other details. still some optimisation that could be done too.

15btaf.jpg
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Shape looks nice and solid, alloy area looks kinda weird at the moment, but I guess that's because there is no calipers or anything behind them. I'm sure they'll look fine once everything is done and in place. Keep the updates coming, cool modeling!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Looks solid so far. Any idea how you're going to handle the interior? That's where I always get stuck.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks guys. i've added the brakes and started on the interior now. the styling of the dash and stuff is surprisingly not all that crazy like most expensive cars tend to be, but getting the proportions of it right is still proving to be a bitch. very slowly chipping away at it though.
    racer - basically just the same way i handled the exterior but like, inside out. lots and lots of referencing. it's the hardest bit for sure.

zik2gj.jpg
    and a shot with the brakes/most of the visible interior in place
    2d011kz.jpg
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Looking nice man. Interior looks sweet so far, add to the elegance, and loving them 'bin-lid-sized' brake discs :D Keep the updates coming.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Damn thats sexy,
    very nice to see you handle both characters and inorganics really well. A great asset

man that shader sure sexi-ma-fies everything x10
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Those wheels look too big, I think.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    im loving it! just make sure you put it in a nice scene to get some sweet reflections.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    very nice progress dude! keep going!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    nice work so far. Doing cars inside and out is insane, its no wonder why gran turismo 5 is taking so long
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks for the comments all and cheers for the feedback kitteh, you were right about the wheels being a bit too big. i dialed them down an inch or so

I've been working a lot today on this interior, i wanna get it done before it wears me out. I'm pretty much there now really, there's just a few things left like the speedo area and speakers etc. There are also areas that aren't completely accurate and need some retouching. hopefully all this geo i've gone through the trouble to make will support tiling textures well without the need for unique normalmapping. crits are welcomed

15d5h06.jpg
    2eksqx0.jpg
    2ue4e9d.jpg
    2q2ob2g.jpg

so far the whole thing wheels and all is weighing in at around 170k tris, so i've got 30k to play with for maybe some engine detail, im not sure. there's still quite a few pieces left to cap up around the back so i might use most of em there, time will tell. im sure i can optimise quite a few tris out if i wanted, the brakes calipers especially are perhaps overly polygenerous.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Very impressive
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Despite not updating in a while i've been working on this project quite a lot. Mainly it's been material tweaks and the subsequent assload of edge turning and polyflow to get the reflections flowing right. I also remade the rear end cause it was well wrong and optimised out a lot of the useless polys. Here's where she stands now with more details but still hovering down at 172,000tris, everything is pretty much complete except a few little details in the interior so i really have a lot of polys to play with for perhaps openable doors/boot/bonnet whatever.

2wfrf3b.jpg
    s168ti.jpg

With time permitting i should hopefully be able to get most of the UV's done tomorrow and get texturing this beast. I did a test of a tiling normal with a unique diffuse of just solid colour+AO for the leather and it really allows for super crisp normal detail no matter how close you get, but the solid colour is kinda lacking. It turned me on to the idea of using vertex shading for the 'AO' though, considering how vertex dense everything is. I'm gonna look further into that as i get into texturing.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Texturing can wait, im having too much fun making the bits so i can open this shit up!

wjwi0g.jpg
    119ci6q.jpg

The entire engine area is scary complex so i saved it for last, and i'm 18k away from my budget now too so it's gonna be tight. I'm overdue for another optimisation/vert tweaking pass though, the wheels will definitely get a lot cut.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking amazing
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    awesome!
    but it needs some AA )
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, fantastic work! Your precision is impressive.
  • an aggressive napkin
    Looks awesome! Can You post some wires and a polycount?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice work, the only part I don't like is the wheels which is mainly due to Aston's design, however, are you using a seperate smoothing group so that the front of the spokes are flat? Just wondering because they look too rounded to me at certain angles and not flat enough at others.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks guys!

zxcman - yeah need to hit up some viewport dof for screengrabs next time, should AA everything nicely too.

napkin - sure. the tricount is sitting at 178,000 right now. hopefully after my next optimisation pass is done and the engine is made is should still be hovering around the same number. Here's some wires for ya. there's a lot that could still be optimised out, especially in the interior and the wheels.
    8wmp78.jpg

gcmp - the spoke there will be a chamfered edge, anywhere where there'd normally be a smoothing group seam i've gone with a chamfer instead. you're quite right about em looking too round though, there is a supporting loop in the middle of that flat bit to aid the reflections, i'll double that up and push it out to the edges when i next work on the wheels so it's flatter and sharper.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is verrrrryyy sexy. GT5 uses 200k tris? Thats nuts! lol. I'm guessing that means you wont be using any textures really then right?

What kind of shader are you using on this guy?

Keep up the good work! Looking foward to seeing the engine.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Dat's sick, son!
    I admire your patience for creating this sort of tricount by hand. I get distracted and bored too fast when doing this uber hi detail stuff. And big props for the interior, I never liked doing those myself.
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    awesome! Love it, very clean and nice done. The interior is also lovely
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Mid poly car models are so challenging to get right. It looks like you still have some loops you can remov from the front quarter and the seats. If you haven't posted this on cg-cars yet you should. The people there are really dialed into clean car polyflow.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    thanks for the kind words guys

gsokol - Afaik gt5 is supposed to use 200k models, but i think that's for in-race. For the showroom versions i'm betting the polycount is higher, it certainly looks it. I heard forza 3 is supposed to use 300k+ tri models too though judging by their new e3 demo the off track showroom cars must use even more, they look totally mindblowing. The shader im using is xoliul's max viewport shader

Xoliul - Thanks dude! It does take a painfully long time to work like this and yeah, i'm definitely finding it easy to get bored. The best and fastest way i've found to do this kind of work is to build things with turbosmooth and just collapse it to poly and delete loops/rings where they are unnecessary. If the mesh is all quads its a lot easier than manually creating the shape with so many small polys, vert tweaking on that kind of scale gets old really quick. The biggest problems arise when i realise i fucked up bigtime and need to change a lot all at once, FFD3x is my new favourite modifier.

thanks blitz!

alec - I could probably get away with chopping some loops from the front end but im reluctant to optimise that area as it's a big focal draw in the front view, i'll cut a few loops and see how it looks. I'd never actually heard of cg-cars forum before so that'll be interesting to check out. Their gameart section looks pretty dead though.

Quick update, i've been and checked out a real car to see how these crazy hinges work and i think i've got it pegged. My knowledge of rigging is severely limited so its just a few lookat controllers and an small amount of manual keyframing, but it gets the job done
    fehpb6.gif
    Now i understand that i'll need to do the same for the hood and make all that craziness under there. I think i'll do more optimising first though, give myself more room to breathe.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    If you post in at cg-cars I would just put it in the regular wip section. The distinction between game art and offline renders is less important than it used to be.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooh very nice work. Just so I understand there is no hi poly modeling/turbo smoothed mesh or anything right? Its all "low poly" but with a huge polygon budget correct? Its amazing since at first glance it looks as if everything was turbosmoothed
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    gorgeous man, astons are my favorite/dream cars. really did a nice job on this one dude.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you be able to share some of the settings and setup you are using with the shader? Those hinges are mad!
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic! can't wait to see it done!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for the kind words all!

Ericv - Yeah this is all the 'low' poly model. I did use turbosmooth to help me generate the base shape for a lot of objects though.

Pixelmasher - thanks dude

Skillmister - The materials are constantly being tweaked and evolving but i'll post em up once i'm satisfied with the results. Its all just tweaking of the various spinners on xoliul's shader, the shader is doing all the hard work.

premium - thanks!

I started the engine compartment last night and im carrying on with it today. It's not done quite yet but it's getting there. I'll definitely have to take out some of the tris though, right now its pushing me uncomfortably close to the 200k celing and i like to have at least 10-15k to play with.
    2n8pjsz.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I've got most of the little details done and in there now, i might make a few more decorative bits for under there at the end if i don't hit 200k. The last thing to model is the petrol cap + inner, and anything else i can think of, then its texturing time.

Post isnt complete without pics so here's a photoshopped one for fun
    24lqydh.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    is it realtime?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    god, i wish i had THESE patience and skills.
    your professional ethic inspires so much,
    deep respect. thanks for making my day with this car!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Fantastic work, any possibility of a back drop environment for this piece?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ... you need to get your ass over to the forza team!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    ... you need to get your ass over to the forza team!

Forza scans their car models :P
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh snap! You even did the engine!! I must ask, since I've always wanted to do a car, where do you collect all your reference? Is there a good site or two that you know of that has like a directory of 100's of popular cars, or did you have to painstakingly scavenge through google to build up a collection of all the necessary angles and closeups?
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man what a pain to model all of this without control edges everywhere.
    Great work!
  • AlexanderL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderL polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, fantastic work!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks a lot guys.

zxcman - Yeah the car itself is realtime from max but i did some colour correction post work in photoshop, i also added a touch of noise and a vignette for fun. There's a telltale giveaway that it's a viewport grab that i only just noticed actually, pretty bad. Anyone else spotted it :)?

conte - don't be crazy man! you got mad skills way above my level

pilang - yeah i'm planning to do an enviro for it but i'm not sure yet what direction to take. It's a toss up between either a some kind of high tech looking archvis or a quintessentially english country road or something like that.

Kitteh - do they? that's cheating :p

EricV - Just manual searching with google im afraid, but its not so bad if you just go looking for specific bits as and when they are needed.

DiscoStu, AlexanderL - thanks dudes!

Right now i'm working on the tire texture, attempting to sort out material defenition and tailoring the textures for xoliul's shader. The threading on the wheels is a bit ugly and only temporary to help set up the tiling. Playing with dust on there as well to see how well it works, crits welcome!
    v7h7w7.jpg
    I also finished up the petrol cap, although it's pretty uneccessary for it to open like that and the polys could be used elsewhere. I'll probably end up deleting the inside but it was fun to make.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    More progress. Working on the leather and stitching areas right now and got some more work done on the tires too. The stitching is so unbelievably tedious to make, but it's texture efficient at least, uses a tiny tiling 128x64 diffuse+normal.

Materials still need lots of tweaking, i wanna brighten up the whole thing a bit too.
    o55c14.jpg
    2ihpd3o.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    love the wheels. sexy