Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Leroy Brown

The Mobster Scout Pack
Polycount Contest Entry

I’m new here and like a lot of other people I’ve been thinking about modeling for quite some time but this contest really made me decide to start. This is my first time modeling, though I have worked with somewhat similar tools previously I’m not expecting things to turn out great at first. Critiques are welcome!
For my pack I decided I wanted to equip the Scout with a number of goodies. I figured I’d center my items around a little explored theme in TF2, that is the mobsters that were oh so popular around the time period TF2 is set. Also, feel free to ignore my stats and stuff, I got a little into that part and so if you want to just look at the pictures (thanks google...) for the general concepts I'm going for feel free to do that. I'm hoping that I can put my progress for my hat up soon.

Sleazy Steve’s Slick Back
“For the honest business man”
50it11.jpg
The Slick Back is a “hat” for the Scout (much like the Hound Dog) that appears as the standard jelled back hair the generic mob member possessed. Not a whole lot to say about it, this is my first model and the one I’m currently working on. Also, I don’t plan on having sunglasses on the actual model, but this image looked the closet to what I wanted for the hair.

Big Al’s Bowtie
“Fancy”
Black%20Bow%20Tie.jpg
I intend Big Al’s Bowtie to be a simple black bowtie accompanied by a collar. It may look a little odd once I actually start modeling it, so I may end up scraping the collar portion, but I think this miscellaneous item will look quite nice.

The Godfather
“The Don has a message for you”
+30% less spread
+33% more rounds per clip
-15% damage
shotgun.jpg
The Godfather is a replacement for the standard Scattergun. I know we’re not supposed to put values for these but I came up with the idea with these changes in mind. It would be a typical mobster’s shotgun, double-barreled with the barrel being fairly long. My original intent was that, unlike the F-A-N focusing on the close range ambushing skills of the Scout, my replacement would focus on midrange fighting.
The gun would primary act as a more accurate, longer lasting, albeit less damaging Scattergun. Unlike my other 2 unlocks I’d think this gun could work both in pubs and in competitive play, which the F-A-N to work in either really. In pub play, this offers some incentive to a player in spammier maps to pick up the Scout. The gun itself really helps the Scout against some of his more direct counters in pub play, namely Soldiers (direct hit especially) and anything that comes with tight spaces. Typically the Scout has been put to the wayside in favorites such as Goldrush due to the nature of his close range gun, but the more midrange oriented The Godfather helps to change that by focusing more on precision aiming rather than ambushing.
In competitive play, this gun could help bring Granary back into favor, as I’ve noticed some of my friends in competitive play complain about the nature of the maps favoritism towards explosive classes. The larger distance between players helps the scout with his natural mobility which would help him dodge more on any map while slowly picking away at the medic. Of course mono y mono with any other Scout he would be worse off and against overheated targets the lower damage would leave you disadvantaged, but in more open areas or in enclosed spaces with no flanking options, The Godfather truly shines due to its longer staying power and accuracy.
So in conclusion, this weapon shifts the Scout’s focus away from ambushing and helps to make him more viable in the more spammy maps that tend to be quite popular. His raw power is decreased, but his ability to exploit his own mobility at various ranges increases and he could become quite the problem for explosive classes who can no longer take advantage of him at close range.

The Favor
“The offer you can’t refuse”
+25% more damage to enemies who are under half health
-25% damage against enemies who are over half health
-50% damage against buildings
l4_pistol.jpg
The idea behind The Favor is that you take the natural finishing power of the pistol, increase that power, but remove some of its midrange usefulness and leave the Scout even worse off against sentries. Bundle all of that into a 50’s styled sleek little pistol and you’ve got a real beauty on your hands. It’s safe to say that the further weakening of the Scout against Engineers means this gun isn’t necessarily for pub play, but in competitive play this could almost be an upgrade bar the weakened on higher health enemies (which gives it synergy with The Godfather).
I really liked some of the pistol’s around this era, though I don‘t think my model will be quite as distracting as the image above. I think the premise speaks for itself, a small change in mechanics changes the pistol from a more all-purpose weapon to a purely being able to finish off enemies. Similar to the Scattergun’s multi-purpose(ness?) The Favor excels in more specific circumstances, though I’d hope that the downsides are severe enough to prevent this from becoming another equalizer.

The Kneecapper
“When God gives you kneecaps, you break them”
Slows enemy on hit for 2 seconds
-25% damage
k0130535.jpg
Acting almost as a Natasha melee weapon, I thought The Kneecapper would really prove to be a fun pub melee weapon. The idea is simple, broken kneecaps means that guy you’re beating isn’t going very far. I was hoping that it could be a more team oriented weapon (much like Natasha) and for those Scouts who love to run around batting everything I figured this would simply add to the annoyance :).
Now with this weapon I’m not sure about the time. 2 seconds seemed to me like a very long time, so that’s definitely up to Valve if they ever decided they liked these ideas, but I was hoping that if a Scout was able to hit you with his melee weapon he deserved to be able to change weapons as the effect was running out. I also hoped that the slowdown would provide even a little usefulness to Scout’s melee weapon. It’d be easily distinguishable, as I want to make the bat already broken and I hope to be able to figure out how to jiggle bone it. I also think it’d be fun to give this weapon a unique taunt, where the Scout looks at his back holds his head and says something such as “Aw jeese, are your kneecaps really that hard?”.

Sorry for all the Godfather references, but it’s such an iconic movie that was focused around the time period TF2 was occurring. I don’t know if there was much of a mob scene in Boston, but we can pretend the Scout has a more business oriented side in this case I think. I really like some of the art directions of other members on this site, you guys have some very talented people, so I‘ve been getting more inspiration from some of you! Thanks for any advice you guys might have and hopefully I can make these look the way I want them to. Also sorry about just using images from google, I’m more of a paper pencil guy and so for now I don’t really have to patience to scan my sketches, but I’m assuming I need to get them up at some point. Anyways, thanks for reading!

Replies

• Leroy Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sleaze2.jpg
    Sleaze1.jpg

This is what I have so far for the hat, it's not finished obviously, but I think it's looking okay so far. Sorry if it's hard to see it, but I won't make a texture until I'm done with the model. I'll probably take a break from this and start on some of my other stuff just so it's easier to see where I'm going with this.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the models should be TF2 styled, the pictures you posted of the guns aren't
  • Leroy Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't intend to make them exactly like that, but just to give a rough idea of what I was going for. I wasn't out to look for a cartoony 50's styled shotgun when I hit the google button, it just wasn't going to happen, so I thought since people generally like to look at pictures instead of a column of words that I would break things up with a basic reference of what I was thinking. I have no intentions of modeling exactly like in the pictures.