Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Tahrinya

Hey guys, I've been playing TF2 for quite a while now, and I've started studying 3D games development this year so I find myself quite lucky to be in the situation, creating weapons for one of my favourite games.

My favourite character would definitely be the Heavy, to me he is (off the battlefield) a gentle giant with humble hobbies.

I've thought alot about my theme for Heavy's new weapons, and I came up with a little mini-story in my head that he's very close to his mother and sometimes wishes he could go back to Russia to see her. So I've been spending time researching things on Russia and hoping to find little lights here and there that could become some good ideas.
PLANS
Class: Heavy

Theme: "Home is Where the Heart is"

Primary: Still musing over this one, having a hard time deciding. It will still be a type of heavy weaponry, just not necessarily a minigun.

Secondary:
I have two ideas. A 5-6 layer cake with ridiculous fillings like ham, sour cream, jam, chocolate icing etc (possibly give Heavy a sugar rush). Or a can on Spinach, I want to put an image of Popeye giving a thumbs up onthe front but I don't want to get valve into any copyright issues, so I may need to make him "Popeyesquse" (give him mini crits for a short time, only carries one)

Melee:
Going to research Russian children's games and hobbies, might be something of use there.

Hat:
Possibly a knit that his mother made him, or a collectors cap from his childhood. We'll see. :)

Replies

• Tahrinya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just looking around for hats and found some fuzzy muffs. What does everyone think about this for the Heavy's hat (Sacha must be very loud after all)

I do like the dark brown on it, but either the band or fur can be red or blue.

picture-22.png?w=374&h=375
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The only problem I see with something fuzzy like a hat is that most hats don't use alpha maps that I am aware of.. as well as the fur being visually noisy compared to the overall style of TF2. If you can manage to simplify the fur into something stylized like the spy's camera beard or something I think it would be worth exploring :)
  • Tahrinya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg wrote: »
    The only problem I see with something fuzzy like a hat is that most hats don't use alpha maps that I am aware of.. as well as the fur being visually noisy compared to the overall style of TF2. If you can manage to simplify the fur into something stylized like the spy's camera beard or something I think it would be worth exploring :)

You raise an excellent point, and I was kind of aware of the issue to begin with. I think earmuffs would be a very comical headpiece when done right. I want to make the fuzziness look similar to the Officer's Ushanka, which is also quite smooth.
  • Tahrinya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *flashback to a grainy sepia Russia, a young Heavy runs into the kitchen where his mother is standing, subtitles appear as the two converse*

"Mama, look at this!" *holds up a battered newspaper comic of Popeye*

"Heavy?! Where did you find this?" *she bends over and picks up the newspaper* "It's all in English!"

"A girl in school, she born in England and she brought it for show and tell"

*Heavy's Mama scratches her chin*
    "Do you want to be big and strong like this.. er, Popeye?"

*Heavy nods furiously*

*A lightbulb appears above Heavy's Mama and blinks on* "And you'll eat your greens everyday, especially your spinach?"

*Heavy nods furiously again*

"Very well, then." *Heavy's Mama turns back to the dishes grinning*

And without further ado, I present to yooouu~

шпинат (Spinach)

spinachheavy.jpg

I changed Popeye slightly, but I had an idea that I could have Saxton Hale giving a thumbs up on the front- what do you guys think?

Also, what do you think about the can itself?

I was thinking of a few ways this could affect Heavy, Mini-Crits for a short amount of time was one, if you guys have any other suggestions please reply with them!

(Also the possibility of Heavy pulling out the can and cracking it open on his head (the lid will flip up as if been opened with a can opener and a single leaf will rest on the side before he eats it.)
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I... I'm out of words...

IT IS AWESOME
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, that's a great Soviet Popeye, you have to keep that. good colors on the can, but I think it should not have a barcode if that's what the black and white lines on the side are. i like the theme and am looking forward for more items!
  • Tahrinya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy-g wrote: »
    but I think it should not have a barcode if that's what the black and white lines on the side are. i like the theme and am looking forward for more items!

That's a good point, I was planning to put the barcode at the back of the can, I just wanted to show on the concept that I'd thought of more than just the logo. So thank you for the concern and support (:
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Haha I love the spinach idea, and the description/backstory was fun.
  • DDSN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your going with a Russian theme, I can help, since i'm primarily Russian.

For a hat, why not make a Babushka hat? Its a common Russian head wear that grandmothers wear.

babushka_kvadrat_large.jpg
  • Tahrinya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDSN wrote: »
    If your going with a Russian theme, I can help, since i'm primarily Russian.

For a hat, why not make a Babushka hat? Its a common Russian head wear that grandmothers wear.

babushka_kvadrat_large.jpg

Oh woot! If I spell anything in Russian incorrectly please let me know (:

That's a good idea! It could be like a present from his grandmother and his mother made him wear it whenever they had a family event. Hahaha. Oh my. That is great.
  • The Red Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XD i like the spinach idea! maby it could give him increased speed of awhile but less damage?? (just a suggestion)
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps a more Russian character instead of a very iconic American character?

Or just use the bad guy from popeye, He's built rather like the Heavy. (Mama make him big and strong!)
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't PopEye a trademark?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Fragus wrote: »
    Isn't PopEye a trademark?
    Yeah so you'd have to reference him, not use him outright.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Russian Popeye is great!
  • Tahrinya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand the issue with Popeye's trademark, I' read up and found that his copyright expired a few years ago but that doesn't stop those companies getting mad and whatnot.

I found the Popeye reference comical to the spinach can, but I am worried about Valve getting into trouble. So for the final submission I'll submit two versions of Spinach, one with the adapted Popeye and another with a more Heavyesque theme, as I am getting very polarized reactions to it. Hopefully this will avoid any confrontations.