Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2-Polypack-Wookie

Heya all,

I read the blogpost and even though I'm a beginner- decided to try and apply since it will be a good method of practice..

Alright, I've been meaning to create an Aviation theme for the soldier.
Though I found out other contestants are already working on the exact same thing.

That's the original aviator hat on one of it's early stages.

aviatorhat10.png

As i mentioned in my latest reply, the Hot Dog Maker theme will be composed from:
*Hot-Dog hat.
*Blowtorch as a Flamethrower replacement-Though I'm not sure if it's possible due to the difference in the flame animations.
*A Meat tenderizer as a melee replacement.

Concept image of a possible hat on the pyro:

pyrodog.png

Will try to update later with models/ more concept images.
I hope you like the idea ^^

Replies

• Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Not Relevant.
    Hey...these are a few idea I had..
    While not perfect, I tend to lean towards the propeller as a melee weapon and perhaps will split the hat and the goggles if I won't be able to solve the polygon problem..

dsc00280ee.jpg

*No, it's not a fish on a stick :P I realized I drew it wrong only after uploading.
    It's supposed to be a crumpled rocket with a WWII drawing on it, on a stick :P
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Propeller is the winner of those concepts. Aviation theme and the flight helmet in particular is being done at least 5 if not 10 time for this contest (not exaggerating) so you may want to rethink the hat.
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks..I was having trouble with the hat anyway..
    You say it's pointless going for the aviation theme at this point?
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is just for you :)http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73654 there are quite a few people going for aviation.

To look at your polycount in max right click on the plus sign in your viewport and go down to preferences (I think) -> Statistics and there's a bunch of checkboxes for polys/triangles
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'll probably scratch the aviation theme :S lol..no point..
    And managed to find out how many triangles I have, ty Contrails..

I'll probably update later on with the new theme I'm going for..
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty then!
    The new theme is a Hotdog Maker/ Butcher for the pyro!
    Will be composed from a hat, a melee weapon and probably a flamethrower replacement.

Here's a concept image of what the hat will probably look like:

pyrodog.png
    Was thinking about a meat tenderizer as a melee weapon.
    As for the flamethrower replacement..it all depends on its possibility..wanted to make a blowtorch...though I doubt it'll be possible cause of the difference in the fire animations. Huge flame vs a sharp small flame..Do-able?

Hope no one is making something like this this time :P
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blowtorch for food theme? Lots of food themes too man. I mean, this food theme is out of control. Heavy got oven mitts, scout a new energy drink, a hotdog bat...etc
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Pyros are people too! They have jobs!
    Hey was working when The Announcer called him for duty..how do you expect him to switch to his original gear so quickly?

As for the blowtorch..nothing like an engineering one..I guess you'll understand what I'm talking about when the concept will be ready..
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Khthon wrote: »
    Blowtorch for food theme?
    For making Cr
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, nice :P

How about instead of a blowtorch, a replacement for the flare gun.
    Burning Hot Dog Gun! Is it ok to remodel the shell? I mean, it's acceptable by the contest's rules? I wanna try and remodel the flare gun along with its shell..the shell will turn into a burning hot dog the same size as the flare..
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol. Okay man! Whatever happens it will still be funny. Good luck.
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This time the hat and the triangle count is going fine..I hope i wont get stuck on the texturing part :P
    I should supply 1 texture with my models, right?
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update for today's work:

version0012v.png

The left Pyro is wearing the hat at its current state. My texturing methods are still rusty so will improve it a bit later.
    *Yes, I'm aware of the fact that the hot dog looks rather horrid :P
    This is the low res version at it's current state. It's within the Tris range.
    I haven't posted the high res version due to some things i need to take care of first..It has 850 triangles but after I'll take care of a few things it will drop below that..

Anyway..I hope you like it and find it amusing :)

As always, will update as I go.
  • Wookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I realize my thread is kinda full of only my own posts..but what can I do? :P

Anyway..I kinda hit a dead-end..I have a hat model..though cant push it to a final state cause of the texturing. Truth is that my texturing skills are very basic atm and it made me stuck on the current state.

I guess I need to use the UVW options but had little to none experience with them..
    In addition to not knowing how to unwrap my model into a good texture map, I understand that the model requires a few other maps to be included in the same texture file..A fact that doesn't help--which maps? :( --.

I assume you're getting my point by now..

So, the bottom line is- that unless someone will be kind enough to help me with the texturing, I'll have to drop from the contest and try my luck in the future one I gathered more knowledge in the area..

If someone could give me a hand, guide me or even point me in the right direction I would be grateful!

Thanks in advance for every reply,
    A desperate Wookie :)