Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Knuckle

Hello all and welcome to my little thread. I'm new here on the Polycount forums, and as you can guess have signed up for this competition. I have created several hats before, which I will showcase in this first post, please feel free to comment in any way, I'm quite new to the whole modelling scene; my 4 hats are my first 4 3D models ever (not counting a failed first attempt at my first hat before following any tutorials about modelling).

First of all, I created a demo pirate hat. Unfortunately, it was not chosen by valve, I suspect my tricount was on the high side (in the guidelines for TF2's contribute site it says 800 polys, little did I know that they meant 800 tris which turned out to be twice the amount I used on my first three hats). Anyway, here's a nice screenie (from my fpsb submission) and the "backstory" I made up for it (I tried to emulate TF2's form of humour we know and love):

A traditional Scottish hat, often worn while out getting drunk. Associated with drunk one-eyed pirates ever since a drinking game went horribly wrong. Coincidentally this was also the day pirates were invented.

82174a.jpg

My second hat was a wintersports-style beanie for the pyro, playing into the pyro's child-like nature and the irony that pyro's never actually cold. On the top the flower from the handbag found in pyro's locker is visible. Backstory:

The pyro's snow hat. Nobody knows why the pyro wears this. Maybe the pyro secretly loves snow and the cold? Maybe the pyro's mother said "don't forget your hat sweetie, and remember to keep warm!"? That would also explain the pyro's career choice. Who knows?

82395a.jpg

The third hat I created was also unfortunately very similar to another hat that was chosen instead of mine, once again I suspect the tricount. It is a wig for monsieur spah, tipping his wig at a famous spy/ladiesman that came before him; Casanova (the one that actually became official looks more like something Mozart wore). Anyway, backstory time:

Ch

Replies

• Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 items for a class.
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proper sentence structure.

This isn't me showing off what I'm going to enter for the Polycount Pack contest, this is me showing off what I've previously made, before this contest was started, but I thought it fit into the TF2-theme of this subforum. And I will be updating this thread with my sentry-remakes which WILL be for the contest.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good luck with the sentry replacement, which shouldn't bee too much of a problem considering the quality of those hats :)
  • Benvil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikimono wrote: »
    3 items for a class.
    He just gave examples of his previous work... Jeez...
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, my concept for a sentry replacement I've been working on for the past few days.

The basic shape looks like two six-sided "cylinders" on top of eachother, much like two nuts but without visible holes. This is what it looks like for the creation, so fresh out of the toolbox. For the first level the top nut screws itself up revealing a "screw" that connects the two. The bottom nut then breaks into 3 parts; a middle rectangular part where the screw comes out and two triangular parts on the side (so basically it breaks up from the two front corners to the two back corners) that screw themselves out sideways to provide balance. The top nut does the same thing, but the middle part breaks in 2 parts vertically, and the side parts and the bottom half of the middle part stay in place while the top middle part moves up, with a "gun" sticking out. This middle part then rotates over the x axis to point the gun forward.

To aim sideways the whole top nut turns around on the screw, and to aim up and down the top middle part of the top nut rotates over the x axis. The firing animation will have the gun firing, then rotating 360 degrees backwards while ejecting the shell at 90 degrees through.

I threw a concept together in PS as I designed it on paper and have no scanner, but I hope this is clear enough to give you an idea of my concept.

conceptvn.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's a small sentry gun on top of an extension? Reminds me of NASA's planetary rovers, maybe you could base designs on that aesthetic?

mars_rover.jpg

Apollo_15_Lunar_Rover_and_Irwin.jpg

mer_diagram.jpg
  • Thomas Truong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking the quality of your work with your older entries so I'm confident in your abilities to get that sentry to look solid.
    There are many taking on the Engineer, but only a few of them are redoing the sentry so you're going the brave route. I like Khton's idea of the Rover, especially since the Space Race will be around that time period. It looks like you're going for a screw aesthetic though, so of course it's your call on what theme it goes with.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Thomas, trying to brainstorm and help where I can on these designs.
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some wip renders to explain the concept a bit better.

Tph2o.jpg
    mmbYM.jpg
    YZccF.jpg
    dGiCT.jpg
    HmZOO.jpg
    k7CfE.jpg

I'm planning to keep the general shape like this, and add details and some nice smoothed edges and stuff like that :)
  • Karkasmolenklok
    It's almost deco. I like it. Any idea for further stages? Perhaps some 2D concept art with greater detail?
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, for stage two the sides of the top half are going to move outwards too, revealing two shooting boxes, like the first one, except that those will have two or maybe even 4 barrels (to facilitate faster shooting without making the shooting boxes spin retardedly fast).

Sorry, but no concept art I can upload, most of it I've been drawing in class in a notebook, and I don't have a (working) scanner or even camera.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's almost deco. I like it. Any idea for further stages? Perhaps some 2D concept art with greater detail?

quite deco in fact, good eyes.
    its very geometric currently, not sure how well it fits with current engineer equipment (tele/disp). But I like the renders nonetheless.
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well once I work out the "functionality" of how the upgraded versions will look and where the different parts will appear from, I can start to add teleporter-like details. If you look at the tele, ignoring the fancy details, it's quite a simple shape, and that's what makes it work. I'll be trying to make my sentry work in a similar way.
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Hotdogbunker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SWEET MAN! Hope it works out!
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, looking good. Also that sentence had proper structure.
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Level 3 concept/rough design.

0vznj.jpg
    jCHg1.jpg
    jAE4N.jpg
    CFBsm.jpg

Will start working on structural details (like connecting the different parts to eachother etc.) and then design details. After that it's animation, which I have next to no experience with, will be fun :D
  • kindafresh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the man on the moon idea. I think the design should have more rounded components thought.