Old (#1)
NEW IDEA COMPLETELY!

How about before I start modeling, I get opinions on my first?

THE PYRO:

The Pyro - being so mysterious and all - has got to have some hobbies, right?

Turns out, the Pyro gets the most satisfaction from tending to his gardens and maintaining the yard. So, I'm going with that as the theme idea: Gardening gone bad.

First idea is to mix the flamethrower with a leaf blower. Maybe, possibly, alter gameplay slightly, such as a longer flame length, but a smaller spread.

Second idea is a melee weapon, a scythe.

Third idea is a gardening hat. Not sure if I want it one that a man might wear, or delve into the feminine Pyro idea.

Fourth idea is a badge or medal, which advertises the Pyro's horticultural prowess. Maybe a nice ribbon?

Last edited by Guitbox; 06-23-2010 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: old idea sucked
Offline , line, 74 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Kelowna, CANADA  

Old (#2)
It really doesn't look like something the sniper would use. Rather the medic. Sorry.

Besides, it looks more like something out of a 70's science fiction than a 50's post-war theme.

I think your theme is just right, and I think it looks good, but maybe you need to reconsider the setting and character.
Offline , null, 13 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#3)
Ok, thanks. Makes sense, I just kinda jumped right into it. I'll start rethinking someone the general design would fit better, and make that design fit TF2 better. Well, hopefully.

Old (#4)
polycount looks way too high for a hat unless you've done some bats*** crazy edge munching.

Also, Medic already has "Ze Goggles."
Offline , polygon, 547 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Full Sail  

Old (#5)
Updated the first post with a whole new idea! Please comment and critique!

Old (#6)
Hmmm well I don't see why not. How about throwing up some rough concepts to give us a better idea. Certainly original though ;)
Offline , line, 82 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#7)
I like the idea. A part of me says it doesn't suit him / her but then it also does. I'd love to see the Pyro wear a straw hat, possibly feminine with a flower on it (white with maybe yellow or pink center).

That or make a straw hat like the one in One Piece ;D (Yes I watch it)

I especially like the leaf blower idea but you can either make a leaf blower or you can add a modification that makes it look like it would work like a custom made thrower.
William T. Nicholls: Portfolio
3D Art Director working on "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
--------------
"When in doubt, ask the Polycount."
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,579 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location England  

Old (#8)
Hows this so far? Just pumped out a couple silhouettes. If they all suck, lemme know, these are just starters.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8...werconcept.jpg

They almost look slightly futuristic, but they are definitely going to be more ramshackled and put together.

Old (#9)
Three all the way. Did you consider doing a rake for the melee weapon?
Offline , vertex, 32 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#10)
Definitely thought of that, but was leaning towards something more like this:

or maybe this one, its a tad more violent

Old (#11)
I definatly think there should be a fan showing, but you're right the are all quite futuristic. Apparently (by which I mean according to wikipedia) leafblowers were invented in the late 50s which is good, the only pic I could find after extensive research (by which I googled 1950s leafblower) was this:

Don't know if that helps.
Offline , line, 82 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#12)
Heh, kinda funny since pyro's unofficial name is 'air man'.

As for the silhouettes, #3 looks smashing. The way I envision it in 3d feels somwhat post-'50s though, but that's just my brain.

I admittedly haven't seen very much '50s design (like... fallout 1-3 and bioshock), but maybe #2 is kinda close? If you tacked on something like this on the base? Or just use that crazy loop contraption in dickless' pic. o_o
Offline , null, 15 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#13)
Yeah seeing the fan would be awesome.
Offline , triangle, 346 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#14)
oh yeah, definitely want a fan or two, otherwise the fact that its a leaf blower might not be too obvious.

Might try and make a couple more, and get some hat inspiration

Old (#15)
Loving the idea of the pyro as a gardener. I'd like to see the stereotypical grandma garden hat on him too, hahaha
Offline , spline, 171 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#16)
Number 3 for sure!

However, replace the fan on number 3 with the one Priest of Syrinx posted, and then it's perfect!

I'll try to help you with getting ideas for the other items, so watch this space!

From my Gardeners Hat search, the most obvious result came out as a straw hat. Since the Sniper already got a straw hat, the one Pyro gets need to differ from that. Here is my favourite results from the research:
http://images.travelpod.com/users/ro...-and-broom.jpg
http://www.songbirdgarden.com/store/...ventureHat.jpg (This one got great potential, if it's made with dark-tinted team colours).

As for a melee weapon for a gardener? What could be more brutal than a freaking SCYTHE!(Lets just say he got a really big garden, where a Scythe is a needed tool, okay?)
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/215199929/scythe.jpg
http://www.merriam-webster.com/art/dict/scythe.gif

And because Pyro is the best mercenary gardener ever, here is some suggestions for his gardener ribbon/medal!
http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/...4jXpdwj2hU.jpg (Without the gold dude and with colours, of course :p)
http://www.royalark.net/Bhutan/bhutan-RoyalOrder2.jpg (A golden flower formed chest medal, similar to this?)

Last edited by Benvil; 05-27-2010 at 06:01 PM..
Offline , line, 53 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#17)
They look great! There's a little too much happening in 3, imo. I'd suggest taking the nozzle (with the flamepipe running from the gas can) and the fan from 3 and putting it on 2.
Offline , null, 22 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#18)
Benvil, thanks! The second hat is sweet... that dude probably picks up lots of women

And when I saw this contest, first thing i thought was "I WANT TO MAKE A SCYTHE!" but promptly couldn't think of how it would look right without new animations. I'm prepared to do that, but don't really wanna.

What would you guys think about a sickle instead of a scythe or hoe?

bit bigger blade, bit bigger handle, might work?

Old (#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitbox View Post
Benvil, thanks! The second hat is sweet... that dude probably picks up lots of women

And when I saw this contest, first thing i thought was "I WANT TO MAKE A SCYTHE!" but promptly couldn't think of how it would look right without new animations. I'm prepared to do that, but don't really wanna.

What would you guys think about a sickle instead of a scythe or hoe?

bit bigger blade, bit bigger handle, might work?
Fun fact: I had also posted EXACTLY that picture, but I edited it out of my post. Simply because I figured out that Pyro use both hands for his melee, and Valve only want models from this competition, so it need to fit his current animations I guess? In which case it would need to be a 2 handed weapon, which make Scythe an option :p

Also, if you like the idea of the Scythe yourself, you shouldn't give it up so easy, because it actually CAN fit the Pyros animations! You can simply use a handleless Scythe, let me show you:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3599/scythe.png
Now, without the handles, you don't need to change the pose of Pyro's hands. You could also use let the handles remain on, even if the Pyro can't use them... You know... Just for comedy value, to show that Pyro don't care about holding his weapon correct when going on a killing spree at all

Last edited by Benvil; 05-27-2010 at 06:42 PM..

Old (#20)
How about a cordless hedge trimmer? Perfect for such an unusually ruthless mercenary.
Offline , spline, 162 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#21)
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/400/pyroscythe.png

Beside my obviously epic Microsoft Paint skills, I just wanted to show that your and my dreams of a Scythe can become true!

EDIT: I just figured out that the "staff" of the Scythe could potentially clip when the Pyro does his crit melee animation... But, the Scythe could simply have some of the bottom broken off. It could also just simply be a short Scythe, or another one of those "homecraft" weapons like the Axetinguisher... There is creative solutions to everything, no worries!

Last edited by Benvil; 05-27-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old (#22)
Hot damn, Benvil! Wicked skills! And thanks a lot, I think i will go with that. More fun, and DRASTICALLY more violent than any old garden hoe.

Old (#23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitbox View Post
Hot damn, Benvil! Wicked skills! And thanks a lot, I think i will go with that. More fun, and DRASTICALLY more violent than any old garden hoe.
No problem mate

But as I said, keep the crit animation in mind when you model it. You might have to make the bottom slightly shorter than that of average scythes, but it's not really a problem, considering it could just be broken or another self-made weapon :p

Last edited by Benvil; 05-27-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old (#24)
can always make the staff end of the scythe broken off so it looks like pyro "modified" it for his mobility needs
Offline , triangle, 346 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#25)
sawed-off scythe. hmmmm.... Reminds me of The Reaper, actually...death reaper, shinigami.

completely different direction, but worth considering. If you can pull off the models, a death reaper pyro kit would probably be more interesting than a...eh...gardening pyro...:p
Offline , polygon, 548 Posts, Join Date May 2010,