Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Twigbag

I'm not sure which class I'm going for yet; I don't have a solid set of 3 ideas for any one class.

Here was the first thing that came to mind...

Subject: For your consideration.

To : The Spy

The Rainy Day Contingent

- Hidden umbrella revolver : (x%) less damage than standard revolver

- Kevlar / Saxon Hale Chest Hair weave fabric Umbrella can be opened to block all fire, Jarate, and (x%) of projectile damage in front of user : (x%) Chance to deflect a mini-crit projectile back at enemy : Negative effects of operation, must run backwards for retreat and obscures users view substantially.

-Secondary Uses : Protects fine suits against rain and sun damage.

Twigbag_RainyDayContigent.jpg?t=1274833300

Le Turncoat

Changes allegiance of sapped building : Can only have one active sapper : Turrets attack enemy team but are slower and less accurate.

Here are two concepts for what it could look like, trying to stay close to look of spy tech.

Twigbag_LeTurncoat-1.jpg

Twigbag_LeTurncoat_model-1.jpg

Le Spinal Tap

Backstabs add to the overall amount of cloak time you have.

Has a cooldown like ball/jarate.

Twigbag_LeSpinalTap.jpg

Diamond Cutter

Less cloak time, no sappers, saps buildings twice as fast, must be pointing it at the building.

Twigbag_DiamondCutter-copy.jpg

Replies

• Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brand new forum and Im cluttering it up with double post (-_-) sorry everyone.
  • Incapability
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The umbrella revolver looks really good on paper - my only worry is the length of the weapon, and how impractical it would most likely turn out to be. Don't let that bring you down, though, your art is fantastic and you should definitely keep working!
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks badass and a lot like one of the shoe phone kind of weapons Spy would use :P

I just hope it's still allowed considering the things said in this thread.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73281

I think it may be allowed, since it still retains it's function as a Handgun.
    However it seems you're implying it will have a signifigant secondary usage, I hope they allow this :O
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The umbrella could work as a knife replacement as well. There was this somewhat famous case where the kgb assassinated someone with an umbrella.
    Not really a backstab, but close enough.

That said, I love the design of the umbrella revolver.
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Design aside I like to come up with unique functionality to drive the visuals. If its not used and it merely works like revolver and doesn't open is fine, (and most likely the outcome were my entry chosen.)

While the focus of this competition is in the a cosmetic change to the existing weapons I disagree that the design of the weapons and their functionality should be ignored. Every concept... character, item, or otherwise is enhanced by thought into its origins and intended function (even if valve does not take your design suggestions.)

@ Simski : Thanx! I'm thinking if I go the spy route that my theme will be "007."

@ Svdl : I'm glad you brought that up, that was actually my initial inspiration for this concept... saw it on Mythbusters.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Hilarious, well-themed and nice looking. Have you animated it opening and closing?
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my post with some new concept art. SEE TOP OF THREAD
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man i love the monotone of these items,
    it just makes me think of spy VS spy so much
    i love it!
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome concepts. Totally nailed the TF2 look. Looking forward to seeing these finished.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
  • MacD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do.
    the.
    turn-
    coat.

just do it.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats that spinny thi-

OBEY YOUR MASTER
    OBER YOUR MASTER
  • jnumber9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnumber9 triangle
    a very nice idea!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Turncoat is an AMAZING idea
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    dig your ideas a lot. very james bond.
    the best part is, you dont need to have new stats for them. they would work as reskins.
    top notch work.

oh and i like the sapper on the left the best.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I always wanted a sapper replacement.
    I think that the knife should be left alone because I honestly don't see a way to change it that would encourage a new play-style and still only be a sidegrade.

I love your concept art for the sapper, but I'm not so sure about it's function.
    Not sure if it would be balanced, it might be a complete upgrade to the sapper.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could see "le turncoat" working really well if it had a slow sap speed to give the opposing engie a chance to knock it off.

But since the competition doesn't ask for gameplay suggestions I say go ahead with the model and let Valve do the difficult work of implementing it.

One suggestion, perhaps the umbrella could do with being in team colours?
  • Naba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I actually also had the idea of such an umbrella - except that it replaced the cloak, this way serving as fire (and bullet) protection even while disguised.
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the input! I added another "Le Turncoat" concept. Was curious which of the 3 you all preferred. Also added my 3rd item "Le Spinal Tap."

SEE TOP OF THREAD
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These concepts are all brilliant! I prefer B for le Turncoat.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I love all of these. And definitely A for the turncoat.

Using a clicky pen instead of trying for some other watch angle is an excellent change of pace too.
  • christermime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    Great looking concepts.
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "A" for "le turncoat"! imo
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like C for le Turncoat, very different from the normal shapes of sappers. Should be instantly recognizable compared to the blocky shapes.

Great gameplay ideas too, although they're just for fun!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome concepts, man! Very cohesive and in tf2 style. Let's see some 3d.:)

I like A best for the sapper. B and C don't really look like anything, almost like future tech. B looks like a yak bak if you remember those...
  • chickenman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh god every single one of those is brilliant. i can't pick.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammit those concept art are so intimidating X(

oh well, good job on that!
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE Added another concept. 3D soon if i can stop spinnin my wheels.

Diamond Cutter!

I'm not in love with the look of the watch, Ill need to make a few more doodles.
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I can say is yes.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Beautiful art and concepts. I say get modelin'
  • omini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these are all great ideas, really well designed. i like le turncoat c
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your models are of the same quality as your concepts then you'll be one of the forerunners to win this competition.
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    I also like A the most for zapper, although i think B is very origonal! Loving the diamond cutter! And the umbrella XD protection against jarate!!!
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twigbag wrote: »
    Twigbag_DiamondCutter-copy.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but, that's a sapper in the form of a wrist watch right?
    If so, would it replace the sapper or the cloaking device?
    I feel it would only be logical for a sapping device to replace the sapper, however since it appears to be in the form of a wrist watch I am quite unsure of how it would work.

At first I assumed it replaced the Sapper, and the "less cloak time" was an effect similar to the Sandman's "-15 health on wearer" and would be a universal attribute that affected Spy's watches in general while not having a direct effect on the weapon itself.

However is this a watch similar to the default watch, however with less cloak time? If so, can I have both this and sappers at the same time?
    Also, will the beam be visible to the enemy team?

Currently I feel the disadvantage is too great from just using a regular watch and a sapper. It is an advantage to not have to get close to attach sappers, however that advantage feels too small compared to making our means of stealth less powerful.

(Sorry for asking so many questions, I only want to bring up what might turn into an issue)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All these concepts are up to Valve in the end anyways, the basic idea of a lazer that kills Engy buildings is really cool. He could always have 2 watches if it doesn't end up replacing one and only replacing the sapper.

Or he could hold the watch like a pocket watch instead of wearing it.

A pocket watch might make it easier for Valve to play with, too, because Spy could still have a different watch on his wrist/pocket that you can't see.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    he could still carry a watch in one hand and have the diamond cutter on the other. Great idea!
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The diamond cutter would need new animations though, I don't see any animations where the spy aims a watch at something then presses a button on the watch...
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way I imagined this would work is that it would be one of your watch selections. IF you were to choose this one it would remove your sappers slot (Much like the Chargin' Targe removes your sticky launcher slot when its equipped.

Alternatively it could perhaps also work as a watch replacement that DOES NOT have cloak and but can be fired without disrupting your disguise. By holding Right mouse button you fire the laser.

All in all a problematic addition to my lineup for several reasons I agree, but its just a concept as of yet and could be scrapped for something else.

@ oobersli - I like the pocket watch solution, perhaps with that it could replace the sapper; if i design it right it could even utilize the sapper hold animation.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twigbag wrote: »
    The way I imagined this would work is that it would be one of your watch selections. IF you were to choose this one it would remove your sappers slot (Much like the Chargin' Targe removes your sticky launcher slot when its equipped.

Alternatively it could perhaps also work as a watch replacement that DOES NOT have cloak and but can be fired without disrupting your disguise. By holding Right mouse button you fire the laser.

All in all a problematic addition to my lineup for several reasons I agree, but its just a concept as of yet and could be scrapped for something else.

@ oobersli - I like the pocket watch solution, perhaps with that it could replace the sapper; if i design it right it could even utilize the sapper hold animation.

The idea is good, however it's hard to fit into the game.

It would make sense to replace the sapper slot.
    However since it's a watch it would collide with the cloaking device slot if you did it for the left hand, and it would make less sense on the right hand since it would probably not be visible while the Spy is holding any other weapon with his right.

I think you should keep the concept, but perhaps change the model to not be a watch.
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or he could just go ahead with it and Valve will do with it as they please if he wins. It's not like the design itself wouldn't suit itself to another function. A big button could do any number of things.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nofacej wrote: »
    Or he could just go ahead with it and Valve will do with it as they please if he wins. It's not like the design itself wouldn't suit itself to another function. A big button could do any number of things.
    Lol, true.

However Valve might have issues coming up with a function for it since it doesn't resemble the normal items as much.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    the concepts etc. is cool, but I cant see this working at the moment. The extra functions are nice, but I think you waisted allot of time on what is essentially a skin contest.
  • Snowloss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worst comes to worst anyone here can always hit up the Contribute page, or at the very least fpsbanana.
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's see some models!
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling begun!

Le Turncoat concept A
    1,398 polys currently

Just need to build the handle, and im thinking about adding some sort of wire element.

Twigbag_LeTurncoat_model-1.jpg
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the spinal tap is just awesome, AWESOME!
  • Viceroy Bubbles
    dickless wrote: »
    I could see "le turncoat" working really well if it had a slow sap speed to give the opposing engie a chance to knock it off.

But since the competition doesn't ask for gameplay suggestions I say go ahead with the model and let Valve do the difficult work of implementing it.

One suggestion, perhaps the umbrella could do with being in team colours?

He's right, Valve gets to decide what the items do, all that we get to do is supply the items themselves. That being said, focus more on the actual items and not their stats/gameplay usage

Anyways, good job man, I really love these items
  • Twigbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One could hardly say I'm focusing on the function of the items more than the look. That being said I don't understand this stigma with simply proposing what these items could do. The discussions don't distract from the actual creation of the content and infact they help fuel the conceptual process.

I understand that this is a skinning competition but I'm getting sick of everyone trying to censor the design discussions and ideas simply because they are not mandated in the competition rules.

I think I am going to ditch the umbrella gun for something that wouldn't require the extra open and close animation. Unless anyone here has some insight on how to make it work.
  • Viceroy Bubbles
    Have it put out a puff of smoke, and then while no one can see, make it change to the open phase without an animation? lol, thats about the best I can think of. If you want an umbrella, you kinda need an opening animation... Otherwise, you should probably ditch it.
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad to see you've started modelling. I was beginning to worry you'd given up on the contest. As for the Umbrella Gun, I hope you don't decide to scrap it even if it doesn't animate. It's a really charming design and works perfectly well as a gun closed. You could try contacting Sparkwire about animating the umbrella if you're dead set on it opening though. He's doing everyone else's so I'm sure he'd be more than happy to do yours too.