Author : jacob07777

Old (#1)
FINAL:

WIP SHOTS:

http://vimeo.com/12192252

Last edited by nrek; 06-29-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Offline , polygon, 700 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Bellevue WA Send a message via AIM to nrek Send a message via MSN to nrek  

Old (#2)
I lol'd.
Keep it up, I want to see what you'll do next.

Is the crocodile a secondary razorback type weapon?

Last edited by Simski; 05-25-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Offline , polygon, 726 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Sweden  

Old (#3)
that is so awesome, i always wanted to make a buffalo hat because of the lone he says but this is much better
Offline , polycounter, 750 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Tucson, AZ Send a message via AIM to willy-wilson Send a message via MSN to willy-wilson  

Old (#4)
LOL THAT IS SO RAD. It should be like the razorback but instead of going away on a backstab it should stay there but reduce backstab damage by 50% So you have a chance to run away/ Kill the spy. Just an idea
Offline , null, 6 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#5)
Haha thanks guys, glad you like the idea. Yes, the croc skin will be a razorback replacement and the croc head is of course just a hat. I plan to use the thick belt that holds the skin in place as a multi knife/ammo belt as well, perhaps providing additional ammo could be part of its gameplay mechanic or something.

Anyway, here is my progress on the crocs head. For now I am going to move onto the skin and then maybe come back and tweak this a bit later, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. I also have a little concept of a weapon idea that I have been tossing around. This would be something to replace the jarate bottle. I am still kinda "meh" about this one though.

Last edited by nrek; 06-27-2010 at 08:21 PM..
Offline , polygon, 700 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Bellevue WA Send a message via AIM to nrek Send a message via MSN to nrek  

Old (#6)
shell shocker is replacement for jarate? with a small explosion in place of urine i'm geussing?
Offline , polygon, 526 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#7)
Yes. YES.

Pleeeease tell me you're going to make the name of the crocodile hat some sort of sly reference to Metal Gear Solid.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,625 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007, Location Fremont, CA  

Old (#8)
Heh, the hat is great, nice one, you definitely need a witty name for it.
Offline , polycounter, 1,079 Posts, Join Date Jun 2006, Location Paris / France  

Old (#9)
Imho the croc would sit further back on his head so that it was at a steeper angle, to disguise himself as a croc he'd need to be lying down so his head would be tilted towards the ground and with it in it's current position he'd be bashing the croc's snout on the ground/his rifle/his lunch/etc.

Love it!
Offline , triangle, 324 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location UK  

Old (#10)
In all honesty, despite being visually one of the better drawn and more hilarious things, the crocodile costume definitely falls into the "no clown suit for the heavy" category.

The shell shocker...has potential. I'm interested to see how you'd do that and not have the problems that they got rid of grenades over.
Offline , polycounter, 805 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location California  

Old (#11)
Lol. Hmmm I was originally thinking Crocodile Dundee reference but it seems like more people are picking up on the metal gear ref. So perhaps I will give that a shot.

And yea as far as a replacement for the jarate, I just meant that it could replace the jarate model and still work with the same animations and everything. I would still expect it to function as a different type of weapon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkasmolenklok View Post
In all honesty, despite being visually one of the better drawn and more hilarious things, the crocodile costume definitely falls into the "no clown suit for the heavy" category.
If it does fall under that category then its no biggie I guess, its all for fun in the end. I was thinking along the lines that since his back story describes him as a tracker of dangerous game in the Australian outback, seeing him wearing a crocodile as a form of camouflage and carrying improvised weapons fashioned from previous kills wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Last edited by nrek; 05-27-2010 at 02:34 AM..

Old (#12)
maybe just the skull of a croc instead? it does seem a bit "clown-suit-ish".
- - - My Portfolio - - -
- - - My Blog - - - < mostly concept art

- - - My Dota 2 Warlock Thread - - -
Offline , spline, 189 Posts, Join Date Jun 2008, Location Phoenix, AZ  

Old (#13)
Really nice looking so far
Offline , triangle, 346 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#14)
Loving the croc model

I'm not so sure about the turtle though, Valve is very against the idea of grenades.
Jarate doesn't function as a grenade as it doesn't cause any damage itself and the long reload time makes it less spammable.
However the turtle seems to imply it will work similar to a frag grenade, Valve would not like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_M View Post
Imho the croc would sit further back on his head so that it was at a steeper angle, to disguise himself as a croc he'd need to be lying down so his head would be tilted towards the ground and with it in it's current position he'd be bashing the croc's snout on the ground/his rifle/his lunch/etc.

Love it!
Nah, it's similar to the duck hat hunters sometimes wears in cartoons and stuff.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/268526597/Duck_hat.jpg
They duck under the water so only the duck part (not a pun, lol) is visible, I assume Sniper would do the same with his crocodile hat :O

Last edited by Simski; 05-27-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Offline , polygon, 726 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Sweden  

Old (#15)
i like the croc hat, i dont play metal gear so i didnt think of that ref, just seems like an aussie disguise, tho i think the gattor back could look more like a crocodile skin and less like a croc costume from a party store,

and you are correct sim,, that is not a pun

Last edited by Rhinokey; 05-27-2010 at 05:31 AM..
"to tell you the truth other places were way harsher and ones of maximum rudeness."
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,643 Posts, Join Date Jun 2005,  

Old (#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_M View Post

Love it!
But if he was lying down he would still want to look forwards, and therefore tilt his head back, bringing the croc head parallel with the body.

Plus the whole idea is clearly concentrating on fun rather than function and I think that comedically it looks best as it is.
Offline , line, 82 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#17)
Thanks for all the input guys, it has been really helpful. I will continue thinking of other items to replace the Shell Shocker if grenades are really that frowned upon. In the meantime here is a slightly updated croc skin model. I tried to take your advice Rhinokey and I think having the skin nailed to a new version of the razorback should help make it seem less like a costume.

Old (#18)
Lookin' good! I'd suggest giving it a simple normal map with slightly raised scales once you're done modeling it.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,625 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007, Location Fremont, CA  

Old (#19)
So awesome! Best theme so far!
Offline , vertex, 28 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Frisco, TX  

Old (#20)
and here is your winner!!!
Brilliant!
Priciple Artist | Terminal Reality| Art Blog|
Offline , spline, 120 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Dallas TX  

Old (#21)
lmfao! This is so bloody awesome
Offline , polygon, 548 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#22)
wow, this is great
Artist ~ Nerve ~ Portfolio dump
Offline , triangle, 304 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location Dallas Send a message via ICQ to spetch Send a message via AIM to spetch Send a message via Yahoo to spetch  

Old (#23)
win. very cool
Offline , polycounter, 1,291 Posts, Join Date Dec 2005, Location Dallas Send a message via AIM to oobersli Send a message via Yahoo to oobersli  

Old (#24)
very awesome!
Offline , polygon, 664 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location New York, NY  

Old (#25)
Thanks for the comments everyone . I could really use some opinions on the legs for the croc shield. I think they add a little more humor and style to the shield, but at the same time idk if they are too much. So yea, let me know what you think.