Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Psyke

for the polypack competition my chosen class is going to be soldier
the continual theme of my pack will be "eastern culture" and the accompanied tales

( just for a good laugh, nothing too overblown, clown suit ect )

Running on the theme of soldiers obsession with San Tzu and the art of war These are the items i have chosen

HAT:
Simian's circlet ( stephanos )

"Saiyuki" ( monkey, see: journey to the east ) in this story was forced to wear a golden circlet around his head. When ever he misbehaved which was often, his companion the priest would pray to Buddha and the circlet would contract around his head until Monkey promised to be better.

PRIMARY:
Scarlet Guardian

a strange vibrant coloured gunpowder fed weapon with the intimidating visage of a fu-dog carved into the very face of the deadly rocket launcher

+damage
-speed

SECONDARY:
Monk's Spade ( yu

Replies

• Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the rocket, not sure what I think of the rest yet.
    Good luck though :O
  • Psyke
  • Psyke
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    I like the rocket, not sure what I think of the rest yet.
    Good luck though :O

thanks for the really nice comment
    alot of people iv'e shown it to take a liking to the foo-dog-rocket haha
    it's gonna be a bit of a hassle to sculpt right. but i always enjoy a challenge
  • HighwayHalfling
    I like the laucher a lot, and the spade as a melee weapon if downsized is a perfect replacement for the shovel, seeing as how they're both shovels :P and the circlet I'm iffy about I understand where you are coming from and love the concept but I think the Kabuto already covers the Eastern warrior spirit well enough, but Nice concept art can't wait to see some finished products :)
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the laucher a lot, and the spade as a melee weapon if downsized is a perfect replacement for the shovel, seeing as how they're both shovels :P and the circlet I'm iffy about I understand where you are coming from and love the concept but I think the Kabuto already covers the Eastern warrior spirit well enough, but Nice concept art can't wait to see some finished products :)

yeah i really need to give the shovel a different perk, speeds not gonna be an' option due to the equilizer.

the circlet was just an afterthought nothing too overblown

the rockets going to take the most time and effort i think
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Really liking the rocket launcher, the circlet on the other hand, not so much. Mainly because i personally prefer the soldier to have some sort of helmet but also because i just find it too simple right now. Still, keep it up, really liking your choice of theme :)
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't had much time to work on any 3d as of recent
    and i'm a tad inexperienced but here's a quick mock up of the figurehead for the scarlet gaurdian

hedg.png

i'm aware it's not looking that good at the moment, ( you dont need to rub it in :P )

please keep in mind i'm quite new to 3d. i hope i can refine this then i will proceed to work on the barrel, the melee and the headset further.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Looking good and I hope you import it into Zbrush or Mudbox to sex it up. It'll be worth it and you have 5 weeks to learn.
  • ParingKnife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how you reward the dog with treats when he's out of rockets :D Do you have any ideas for helmet-type hats? Or perhaps a secondary weapon/item?
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great model, just LESS turbosmooth
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragus wrote: »
    Great model, just LESS turbosmooth
    yeah i figured it was a little intensive
    i'm gonna reduce the count on the model regardless when i get more used to the tools i'm using ( zbrush, blender + sculptris )

any basic help and direction people wanna throw out would be more than welcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure how this fits into the TF2 world or applies to the soldier character but I look forward to seeing more.

soldier has an intermittent intrest in the art of war, and sun tzu, in general, the east ( killers kabuto ect )

i figured so many people had already gone with the 100% americano theme for soldier i'd do something a little more geared towards that instead,

besides it's not the weirdest notion that's been thrown up here
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    soldier has an intermittent intrest in the art of war, and sun tzu, in general, the east ( killers kabuto ect )

i figured so many people had already gone with the 100% americano theme for soldier i'd do something a little more geared towards that instead,

besides it's not the weirdest notion that's been thrown up here

I agree, it's definatly one of the most orginal themes in the competition that I've seen and the weapon ideas are great. As long as you keep with the TF2 aesthetic style these should be great.
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea in writing but your concepts are rather meh. I know for a fact that in first person the head of the rocket launcher is going to be very distracting.

Try something more like a simple stone dragon head. A much less complex shape. ex Mulan (no really "good" images on Google):
    mulan3.jpg
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to show the final concept peice for the soldiers melee weapon

introducing: The Warriors Wu-Shu

wushu2.png
    Try something more like a simple stone dragon head. A much less complex shape. ex Mulan (no really "good" images on Google):

don't threat. it's not going to be over-sized. it's gonna be quite the small front to the rocket. and yes iv'e seen the "mulan" rockets. aka the flying dragon it's the partial influence in the design

Flying%20Dragon.jpg
  • fastturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hat the only one that I don't think works. I get the whole Journey to the West Son-Goku thing, but soldier hats don't work very well unless they come down and cover his eyes. ie how the Halo looks terrible on him. I don't know - maybe you can make it work, but it's not jiving in my head.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fastturtle wrote: »
    The hat the only one that I don't think works. I get the whole Journey to the West Son-Goku thing, but soldier hats don't work very well unless they come down and cover his eyes. ie how the Halo looks terrible on him. I don't know - maybe you can make it work, but it's not jiving in my head.

the hat's always been the weak link in this,

i'm tempted to just make a top heavy mongolian hat haha

i'll see what i can think up...
  • ParingKnife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the Wu-shu. Personally, I'd prefer the squarish Mulan dragon head, but I also like the current design. I agree with fastturtle about the circlet. What about the the straw hat that has a conical shape? That could definitely cover his eyes with enough designing. :)
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the the straw hat that has a conical shape? That could definitely cover his eyes with enough designing. :)

that's one of the first thing's i considered in replacing the circlet

the other was the hat of tang seng, albiet a little lower down to cover soldiers thick brow

whou.png
  • red_pharoah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe you could flip it upside down?
  • Benvil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This man is a genius!

Totally fits the terribly smart Soldier :poly142:
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes! This please.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the hat sorta doesn't...fit upside down

the way it's made that is...

:S plus it just seems moot point.

ehn..i dunno i'll see what i comes out like....
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well here's the concept doodle for the soldiers tang seng headcrest

hed.png

i'm quite happy with it
    the reason iv'e not shown much of the 3d work is due to the fact i'm learning, and i'd rather be steady about it than make a fool of myself by showing models with glaring faults ect
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showing models with glaring faults is how you learn. You'll improve much faster if you have an entire forum to criticize your models than if you try it alone. Don't worry, I don't think anyone here is gonna bite.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    the sooner you show the better. You got like a month to the deadline.. i'd do whatever i can to get good by then. That means postin stuff up to get as much feedback as possible.
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give us models so we may eat them with critiques and criticism. Remember, even if we call you "Stoopid" It's because we want to see you improve. :)
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh, look at it this way, if someone bothers to tell you how you might improve your design, it probably means they want to see your item in game.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i'm going to drop out from the contest on for several reasons

1 being that i'm not that good enough i personally belive
    2 being that someone else is just now all of a suddern doing a foo-dog rocket launcher design for their soldier class. oddly enough after i post mine
    3 being that i'm not sure i wanna continue on with this without some sort of knowledge

i'm just a bit put off now
    what do you guys think
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do it anyways man. If nothing else it's a big learning experience and this community is all about helping better each other from what I've seen.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Keep at it! You'll only kick yourself later if you drop out now.

Just keep working at it and pushing yourself and you'll get better.
  • eXistenZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a great idea, good outline and a lot of people willing to give a couple of good tips. I do not think it's a good idea to stop working now.
    I first began working at 3D environment less than a week ago, and you know what? Every day I go to. I'm learning, and it pleases me very much. You really do not like to work among talented people taking over their experiences and sharing your own?
    Think well, man. I know you`ll have everything turns out fine ^_~
    p.s.: ooh, sorry for my english
  • 0ur hero niko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking that Chinese "sun tsu" thing going on. i see those rockets blowing up into fireworks.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking that Chinese "sun tsu" thing going on. i see those rockets blowing up into fireworks.

yeah it was a pretty good solid idea.
    but i'm now put off doing it as another person has started and made enough progress on the same concept

so even if i managed to get it upto scratch the better item would be chosen regardless.