Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Swizzle

Replies

• Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that 3 has that gap/hole/whatever the term is for the blade. Makes it easy to recognize. Perhaps you should take that element and mix it with a few of the other saws.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    To bad, there are no pistol animation support for medic, because when i look at those silhouette's... especially #2 (my favorite sharp and recognizable from distance) it reminds me of gun-blade from FFVIII :) (there is even a space for bullets chamber like in spy's revolver)
  • Batt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I know you haven't completely dropped the circular saw idea, but you've left it for now because you couldn't make it seem aggressive, right? Cause I got a small idea to try and make it seem more intimidating without changing too much. Excuse my poor butchering of the original image.

mCj0Ts.jpg

Basically just remove the saw-cover to show off more blades, then stick a big protruding spike in the middle to give it some better direction; bolted onto the middle of the saw the same way the handle-guard on the nadelwerfer is. The circular saw is a pretty good idea and definitely unique so I didn't want to see it go to waste :x

Anyway as for the idea you're going with now, #4 has a pretty distinctive and fitting form, but #3 is more interesting cause of its gap in the middle. #4 with #3s gap would look pretty cool, imo.
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do u have any idea, what stats the Saw is going to have.

If i have a job for the saw then u could design the saw for the job.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    have you thought about using an electrical autopsy saw?

http://www.surgipath.com/us-en/downloads/ProductPhoto/90-large.jpg
    like this, but maybe with a bigger saw blade at a 90 degree angle
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ EVIL
    Would fit to the 50's.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    nrek, SixTwoSixFour:
    That's something I've definitely thought about doing. I even tried throwing together a few concepts, but they were crap and I couldn't think of a good design. It's no an idea I'm going to abandon, but it's on hold right now.

Man of Popsicle:
    This is pretty much the same as the reciprocating saw idea. I just couldn't come up with something I liked, though the idea still appeals to me.

Betty Hime:
    Thanks! While I'm not sure I'm going to use them, it's very helpful to see the kinds of designs that are used for all those different saws.

Konras:
    A gunblade-type design was something I actually thought about doing, but I didn't think it'd fit the medic's personality very well.

Clusternate:
    I've thought about a few different things the saw could do gameplay wise, but I've honestly just been trying to come up with wacky designs while not worrying about the gameplay implications. If I start thinking about what I want it to do, yes, it might help come up with some design, but it's one restriction I don't think I should worry about right now.

EVIL:
    That was actually what got me thinking about the power saw idea in the first place. Turned out well, huh? :poly142:

Since I've shelved the power saw idea for the moment, I thought it'd be worth taking a look around the internet for interesting medical devices which could stand in for the bonesaw or ubersaw. Turns out that there are these things that veterinarians use for injecting livestock with medicine and such. They aren't just syringes, they're basically caulking guns with a hypodermic needle attached. Awesome, right?

So anyway....
    rk7FR.jpg
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    aww man that's one of the very few ideas I had for a bonesaw replacement, guess I need to look elsewhere now :(

5 or 1. 3 looks strangely wide. the two needles of 4 is strange too. 6 looks like an airbrush.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The #1 and #2 looks like the only ones which could be used with one hand.
  • christermime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    I'm liking 2 as a melee weapon, I think you could leverage the most out of the existing bonesaw animations with that design.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 is my favorite, but 1 and 5 look very nice as well. My ranking would be 2, 1, 5, 4, 6, 3. I think the double needles don't look very good, I would stick with the single. Like Y_M says, 6 kinda looks like an airbrush.

Elements from each... overall design from 2, with the alternate little charging handle (or whatever that little thing on the back is) from 4 and 6. That would be my vote.

May I say, I very much like the Mauser C96-style handgrip, looks very excellent.
  • McLovin_Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McLovin_Master polycounter lvl 7
    Where can I get the full size characters for the modeling, like when you showed the Medic holding your needlegun? BTW, it looks totally awesome.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 2 the best, the longer needle helps differentiate it from a needle gun as well.
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Havent got a chance to check your thread, badass needle gun man. I'd further explore 2, like this shape the best.
  • Priest of Syrinx
    I like 1 and 2 the most, seems like the right size for the medic. I was actually wondering when someone would make a giant syringe for meleeing. : P
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, 7 is the winner, But they all look great
    They all look like the original model with lights drawn on them :|
  • pw pw pw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 looks the best. You need a longer needle to increase the area the medic can jab it into someone without shoving the handle into them.

I was looking at the Nadelwafer, and I think it could really use a texture alteration. The blutsauger gets away with its similar shape to the needlegun because it has such a different texture, no visible needles, etc. The biggest difference in your texture is the handle, and it won't even be visible. I would strongly consider team-coloring the vertical rectangular piece at the end of the barrel, or possibly making only part of the needle tube transparent. Otherwise, you could consider just making the texture darker, like the blut. Now that you don't have a stock it needs to be a little bit more different.
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number 2 looks the best IMO, but perhaps a tank like number 6, with some sort of liquid inside, would help it, along with a more slender tube
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I'm a fan of Numbers 1 and 5 personally. I'd like 5 more if that large area under the needle looked like it was used to generate the cutting/stabbity motion. A large reciprocating part or piston might be cool.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Aha! this is the exact thing I've wanted to see. Unlike the other weapons this one is unique and will definitely add something to the character's loadout. It helps that it's also a freaking cool idea.:)

I like all but number 3 and 6 equally. Can't wait to see this one finished.
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 please, although I think 6 looks cool, the canister should be moved to make it look less airbrush-y.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys!

Y_M:
    You can still make yours! Just make it better than mine. :D

McLovin_Master:
    I imported the model into the game, so that was a screen from the model viewer. If you go to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR USERNAME\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\player and take a look in those folders, you should be able to find the models of all the classes.

Ikimono:
    That's because I was considering doing the same thing that Valve did with the Kritzkrieg and just having a medigun attachment instead of a completely new model.

pw pw pw:
    I'm going to be going over the texture again to finalize things, so there's probably going to be more team color on there.

I liked the look of #2 on the previous sheet enough that I did a few more concepts based on it.
    VDYfb.jpg
  • pw pw pw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those look good. I would just combine 1 and 3, if that doesn't look too busy.

Good to hear you're going back over the texture. Your needlegun model is great, but it definitely needed a little more differentiation now that the stock has been nixed. Texturing is the way to go.
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would try a fusion of #1 and #4.

Like the siluett of #1 and the Syringe handle of #4.^^
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like number 3 the best- no modification needed, I think it's our winner. Number 1 is quite good as well, and 2, 5, and 6 are interesting, though not my favorites. 4 I really don't care for, though.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin good dude. I definitely like 6 the best, but I prefer the plunger things from 2 and 4.
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like one the best. Nice and simple. Really doesn't need to look to fancy as you can already tell it apart from the saws.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 4! It's the most stylish from them all!
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the plunger is a must. For the rest I prefer 3.
  • Benvil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number 6.

On a completely different note... I saw you originally made the Pain Train for Pyro, so how come it ended up on Soldier/Demoman? I've always though it looked silly on those 2 >_>
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle wrote: »
    McLovin_Master:
    I imported the model into the game, so that was a screen from the model viewer. If you go to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR USERNAME\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc\player and take a look in those folders, you should be able to find the models of all the classes.

I've got a question. I found all the models at the location listed above but when I bring up the model viewer with Source SDK set to Team Fortress 2 mode I have no clue what [ROOT] folder it's pointing to, or how to change it.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon wrote: »
    I've got a question. I found all the models at the location listed above but when I bring up the model viewer with Source SDK set to Team Fortress 2 mode I have no clue what [ROOT] folder it's pointing to, or how to change it.
    Basically it's a "steam/steamapps/username/team fortress 2 /tf/models" folder
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragus wrote: »
    Basically it's a "steam/steamapps/username/team fortress 2 /tf/models" folder

That's what one would think, but the folders shown in my root folder don't match the folders in my /tf or /tf/models folders. It's showing me a bunch of Half Life 2 stuff.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what one would think, but the folders shown in my root folder don't match the folders in my /tf or /tf/models folders. It's showing me a bunch of Half Life 2 stuff.
    Just to prove my point, go to the "root" folder, navigate to weapons and open any w_model weapon, you'll see tf2 weapon
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon:
    The model viewer looks in the GCFs for models. If you have custom models installed, then it opens those instead of browsing the GCFs.
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragus: Here's what I get when I go into Weapons. Bugbait, the crowbar, crossbow, and you can see on the main SDK interface it's set to TF2.

hlmvissues.gif

Swizzle: I'm not sure what GCF's it would be pulling, I don't see any in my TF folder. This is a vanilla install of the SDK and my first foray into Source modding so I don't have any custom stuff loaded yet.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragus: Here's what I get when I go into Weapons. Bugbait, the crowbar, crossbow, and you can see on the main SDK interface it's set to TF2.

hlmvissues.gif

Swizzle: I'm not sure what GCF's it would be pulling, I don't see any in my TF folder. This is a vanilla install of the SDK and my first foray into Source modding so I don't have any custom stuff loaded yet.
    Open W_MODELS, you just opened the weapons folder.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you go to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps, you'll see some files called FILENAME.gcf. That's what the model viewer looks in. If you have custom content installed, it can also look inside the folders of your C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR USERNAME\team fortress 2\tf folder.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvil:
    It was originally a pyro weapon because the pyro was one of the first classes to receive an update. I submitted it as a soldier/demo weapon.

Got a little more refined with the concepts from above. I'm going to play around with the plunger a bit and see if I can find a design I like. Meanwhile, I'm going to start blocking this sucker out in 3D. I like the general design and I'm going to use it instead of a saw.
    SDEH8.jpg
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, just as a suggestion, perhaps the top section could have some liquid swishing around in it, some coloured ambiguous liquid.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry to ask a question irrelevant to this thread Swizzle, but how did you submit The Pain Train? Did you submit the source files (.OBJ and TGA/PSD) or did you give them the fully compiled version? I ask because I'm not sure if submitting source files will lower my chances of being chosen. If you did submit as a compiled version I'd be extremely happy if you could write up a tutorial on how to get it all compiled as it's own item in the way Valve would do theirs.

Thanks!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerdlights:
    I've been seriously considering it. Since the Jarate has some slosh to it, I don't think it'd be impossible to make this move around either.

Zipfinator:
    I submitted an OBJ for the model and a PSD for the textures.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    There is too much similarity between this an your needlegun, the entire back half could effectively be swapped from one to the other without much really changing.
    Don't get me wrong, both are great, it's just they're at risk of not being all that amazing as a pair of weapons if they're too similar.

A different style of trigger and making the plunger as different as possible to any of the existing needleguns is definitely advisable to avoid the similarities.
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Nerdlights:
    I've been seriously considering it. Since the Jarate has some slosh to it, I don't think it'd be impossible to make this move around either.
    It could be done with jigglebones, I believe, and it would add a ton of visual appeal to the weapon
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Jigglebone

That should help if you try to use Jigglebones. I think Valve will only use jigglebones on the model if you submit it already compiled or with the QC though.

EDIT: Yeah this is directly from the rules.

"Optional Source compilation files:
    • Model compilation format: .DMX, .SMD, .QC (required if your item has jigglebones, or other custom .QC commands)"
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your help, Swizzle and Fragus, I was able to load the character models.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I've got to say man, I am a huge fan of the front reciprocating part of number 3. it adds more interest to the front, explains how the weapon functions mechanically, and will probably look awesome with an animated idle motion.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Note about jigglebones on liquids in glass containers:

You're gunna need vertical sides as you have no way of snapping the verts to the side of the glass unless I'm very much mistaken.

You could model the water already at a slope and have the verts moving backwards and forwards instead of up/down to simulate it around the curved walls though.

However the angle of the melee weapon, unlike my backpack, will change dramatically and could look out of place with jiggleboned liquid as it will always stay nearly horizontal even if it's upside down. :(

EDIT: as man of popsicle says, #4 has the good back.
  • Man of Popsicle
    I really like the back part of number 4. It makes it obvious that it's basically a giant syringe since it's a familiar design.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you have with the current needle, but I feel the back is a bit bland, but I'm sure as it progresses that won't be a problem :)