Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Paddle Frigate

Dim
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Dim polycounter lvl 10
First project here for me at Polycount. Would really appreciate some solid feedback.

This will be a large scale summer project. I'm looking at creating a full paddle frigate and putting it in Unreal eventually. These ships really epitomize the transition from sail power to steam power (they came just before the switch to screw propellers), and thus, in many ways, the transition into the industrial revolution. Plus they look bad-ASS. Here's the best example I can find of what I'm talking about.

800px-Brazilian_Steam_Frigate_LOC_04253u.jpg

Fulton-Lebreton.jpg

Some more info on them is available here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_frigate

Artistically, I'm going to go for a pretty high degree of realism with this. It will be largely modular (texturally), so I'm hoping that it will be manageable.

First crack at a palette for the exterior (obviously other areas will need separate palettes like the main cabins or the engine room), I used http://kuler.adobe.com/. From left to right, the colors will be the hull above the water line, worn wood, the boat below the water line, varnished wood, and trim (including the water line itself). The scheme is roughly analogous.
pallette.png

I'll need to put a lot of effort into really building the ship in order to have it be properly navigable for a player. Hopefully I'll get the chance to check out Old Ironsides in a couple of weeks.

1008smfpont7internet__088997500_1509_03102008.jpg

landsort5.jpg

jamieson-steam-engines-204-view-500x533-grey.jpg

The modeling will be challenging in that a large amount of it will need to be automated because there are a lot of repetitive shapes deformed organically. For this type of modeling, I'll use Blender's curve and array modifiers. Blender will also be used for most of the UV work, and for simple cloth dynamics on sails. I can use Maya for the material editing and low poly work. Here is an early test of the array modeling workflow. Needs a lot of kinks worked out, but so far it took almost no energy or time to set up.

hullModifiers.png

hullModifiers_02.png

It is all created from this extremely limited amount of geometry that is very easily modified, and changes are reflected across the entire ship.

hullModifiers_03.png

I got a simple sail test up and running. It's very easy to do, so I may be able to get some animated normal maps.

sail.png

Eventually, this will end up in Unreal, so I will need to find solutions for adding AO (hopefully Unreal has SSAO support!), and information about adding multiple UV sets so that the ship overall can have blemishes, decals, etc.

Early Material List:

### Wood (most will be Douglas fir and southern yellow pine)
- Shellacked Wood
- Worn wood (decking etc.)
- Large Beams
- Trim

### Rope
- Simple hemp rope should do it

### Cloth
- Sails obviously
- Flags
- Hammocks would be great as well
- Longboat covers?

### Metal
- Rusted and corroded metal will be necessary for exteriors (paddle wheels, stacks, anchors, etc.)
- Cast iron for heavy machinery of the engines
- Bronze is needed for a lot of the dials, pipes, and misc metal bits
- Large steel support beams and hull pieces are needed

### Coal
- For the engines

Replies